ANN: TeXShop Webpage Helper

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ANN: TeXShop Webpage Helper

Ramón Figueroa-Centeno
Aloha,

I just uploaded my biggest summer project yet: TeXShop Webpage Helper <http://www2.hawaii.edu/~ramonf/TeXShop/TeXShop%20Webpage%20Helper.dmg>.

It started as a helper program for my ChkTeX for TeXShop application, but over the last two weeks it has become much more.

It allows you through especially crafted links to control the navigation and insertion of text into TeXShop documents. To see it in action you can skip reading all the technical mumbo jumbo and open the enclosed "George Grätzer's Math Symbols Table" PDF and you have an way of entering all the symbols in your current TeXShop document, by clicking at links. (Thanks to George Grätzer for letting me use his table in an example!) You want an accent, select the letter you want accented click on a link and the accent is applied.

Now, you can compile your own formula or code snippets sheets to insert what you want with a click.

It has been designed to be as complete as I could make it, with extensive capabilities to the person crafting the documents; and at the same time to have a zero learning curve for the user that already knows how to click on a browser link.

Please try it out and let me know (if you wish) if it is working for you (ramonf-at-hawaii-dot-edu). I am keen on knowing if it will work on OSX 10.4.

Enjoy!

Ramón
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ANN: TeXShop Webpage Helper

Alain Schremmer-2

On Jun 14, 2010, at 12:09 AM, Ramón Figueroa-Centeno wrote:

>
> Aloha,
>
> I just uploaded my biggest summer project yet: TeXShop Webpage Helper
> <<a href="http://www2.hawaii.edu/~ramonf/TeXShop/TeXShop%20Webpage%">http://www2.hawaii.edu/~ramonf/TeXShop/TeXShop%20Webpage% 
> 20Helper.dmg>.
>
> It started as a helper program for my ChkTeX for TeXShop  
> application, but
> over the last two weeks it has become much more.
>
> It allows you through especially crafted links to control the  
> navigation and
> insertion of text into TeXShop documents. To see it in action you  
> can skip
> reading all the technical mumbo jumbo and open the enclosed "George
> Grätzer's Math Symbols Table" PDF and you have an way of entering  
> all the
> symbols in your current TeXShop document, by clicking at links.  
> (Thanks to
> George Grätzer for letting me use his table in an example!) You  
> want an
> accent, select the letter you want accented click on a link and the  
> accent
> is applied.
>
> Now, you can compile your own formula or code snippets sheets to  
> insert what
> you want with a click.
>
> It has been designed to be as complete as I could make it, with  
> extensive
> capabilities to the person crafting the documents; and at the same  
> time to
> have a zero learning curve for the user that already knows how to  
> click on a
> browser link.
>
> Please try it out and let me know (if you wish) if it is working  
> for you
> (ramonf-at-hawaii-dot-edu). I am keen on knowing if it will work on  
> OSX
> 10.4.

It seems rather awesome but since I am a " user that already knows  
how to click on a browser link" and since I am (still) running  
TeXShop 2.26 (2.26) under 10.4.11 on a ppc, I thought I would try it  
even though I don't write in French much any more.

So, I downloaded TeXShop Webpage Helper, put it right next to  
TeXShop, and started a new article, but where is "the enclosed  
"George Grätzer's Math Symbols Table" PDF?"

Regards
--schremmer
        Certified Install-challenged


----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ANN: TeXShop Webpage Helper

Herbert Schulz

On Jun 14, 2010, at 9:17 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> ...
> So, I downloaded TeXShop Webpage Helper, put it right next to TeXShop, and started a new article, but where is "the enclosed "George Grätzer's Math Symbols Table" PDF?"
>
> Regards
> --schremmer

Howdy,

Look for Help->Short Course Symbol Tables but I don't remember if George Grätzer's items are in 2.26.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)



----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ANN: TeXShop Webpage Helper

Alain Schremmer-2

On Jun 14, 2010, at 10:27 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

>
> On Jun 14, 2010, at 9:17 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> ...
>> So, I downloaded TeXShop Webpage Helper, put it right next to  
>> TeXShop, and started a new article, but where is "the enclosed  
>> "George Grätzer's Math Symbols Table" PDF?"
>>
>> Regards
>> --schremmer
>
> Howdy,
>
> Look for Help->Short Course Symbol Tables but I don't remember if  
> George Grätzer's items are in 2.26.

They are!!!
Now I have to go but I will try the stuff tonight.

> Good Luck,

With people like you I don't need it.

Slightly embarrassed regards
--schrermmer

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ANN: TeXShop Webpage Helper

Ramón Figueroa-Centeno
Aloha,

George Grätzer's Math Symbols Table is inside the folder that you downloaded. This is not the one in the TeXShop help menu, but a facsimile, done with the author's permission, with hyperlinks added (maybe someday it will replace it... I can only dream).

Here it is as a separate download,

<http://dl.dropbox.com/u/869282/George%20Gr%C3%A4tzer%27s%20Math%20Symbols%20Table.pdf>

Enjoy!

Ramón
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ANN: TeXShop Webpage Helper

Ramón Figueroa-Centeno
Aloha Hugh,

> I downloaded your app. It doesn't work on 10.6.3. Double click the Icon and it
> looks as if it is starting to open and then never does. It just goes awol.

Please read the Read Me. That is what it  is supposed to do. Open the Grätzer Math Symbols Table in TeXShop (included with the download) open a document in TeXShop and place the cursor in the text where the symbol you want inserted should go. Click on the symbol in the table, and it should get inserted. Select a character in your text, click on an accent in the table and it should be applied. The TeXShop Webpage Helper (TSWH) application translates the click on the link into a command for TeXShop (to the user it happens "automagically", TSWH works invisibly).

If you care, and the user should not, only people making character and command tables, what happens is this.

If you click on a link in a document that has the protocol http:// then the system will try to look for who is the default application to handle the protocol, i.e., your default browser and open the link in there. Links are not only addresses to pages but can encode information. For example, <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=university+of+hawaii+hilo&sll=19.704254,-155.080175&sspn=0.033372,0.07699&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=University+of+Hawaii&hnear=University+of+Hawaii,+Hilo,+Hawaii,+96720&ll=19.701425,-155.080175&spn=0.033373,0.07699&z=14> is the Google Maps link to my university. It consists of much more than just <http://maps.google.com>, as the commands are encoded in the link.

So what TSWH does is register itself in your computer (by virtue of being the only handler of the protocol available) to handle the texshop:// protocol. Every link in the Grätzer table has instructions encoded for TSWH to translate into TeXShop "apple events" (applescript commands that TeXShop understands) that instruct TeXShop to insert symbols and apply accents.

Let me know if this is not clear.

Ramón
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ANN: TeXShop Webpage Helper

Ramón Figueroa-Centeno
In reply to this post by Ramón Figueroa-Centeno
Aloha Hugh,

> I downloaded your app. It doesn't work on 10.6.3. Double click the Icon and it
> looks as if it is starting to open and then never does. It just goes awol.

Please read the Read Me. That is what it  is supposed to do. Open the Grätzer Math Symbols Table in TeXShop (included with the download) open a document in TeXShop and place the cursor in the text where the symbol you want inserted should go. Click on the symbol in the table, and it should get inserted. Select a character in your text, click on an accent in the table and it should be applied. The TeXShop Webpage Helper (TSWH) application translates the click on the link into a command for TeXShop (to the user it happens "automagically", TSWH works invisibly).

If you care, and the user should not, only people making character and command tables, what happens is this.

If you click on a link in a document that has the protocol http:// then the system will try to look for who is the default application to handle the protocol, i.e., your default browser and open the link in there. Links are not only addresses to pages but can encode information. For example, <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=university+of+hawaii+hilo&sll=19.704254,-155.080175&sspn=0.033372,0.07699&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=University+of+Hawaii&hnear=University+of+Hawaii,+Hilo,+Hawaii,+96720&ll=19.701425,-155.080175&spn=0.033373,0.07699&z=14> is the Google Maps link to my university. It consists of much more than just <http://maps.google.com>, as the commands are encoded in the link.

So what TSWH does is register itself in your computer (by virtue of being the only handler of the protocol available) to handle the texshop:// protocol. Every link in the Grätzer table has instructions encoded for TSWH to translate into TeXShop "apple events" (applescript commands that TeXShop understands) that instruct TeXShop to insert symbols and apply accents.

Let me know if this is not clear.

Ramón
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ANN: TeXShop Webpage Helper

N Shah
Hi Ramon,

Have an odd bug for you.  When inserting symbols via the hyperlinked Gratzer tables you provided, I noticed the following odd behavior.

If I open a new (blank) document in TeXShop and then click one of the hyperlinks, the text is inserted in the new document in what looks like 10pt Helvetica instead of my default editing font.  If I then type directly into the window, the new text appears in my default font.

If that isn't weird enough, if I then insert another symbol via hyperlink, this new symbol is inserted using my default font.  Now if I go and delete everything in the window and then insert another symbol, it again uses Helvetica.

In summary, it appears that when a symbol is inserted into a blank document, TeXShop's editing font is not respected.

 - Nirav

On Jun 14, 2010, at 7:57 PM, Ramón Figueroa-Centeno wrote:

>
> Aloha Hugh,
>
>> I downloaded your app. It doesn't work on 10.6.3. Double click the Icon
>> and it
>> looks as if it is starting to open and then never does. It just goes awol.
>
> Please read the Read Me. That is what it  is supposed to do. Open the
> Grätzer Math Symbols Table in TeXShop (included with the download) open a
> document in TeXShop and place the cursor in the text where the symbol you
> want inserted should go. Click on the symbol in the table, and it should get
> inserted. Select a character in your text, click on an accent in the table
> and it should be applied. The TeXShop Webpage Helper (TSWH) application
> translates the click on the link into a command for TeXShop (to the user it
> happens "automagically", TSWH works invisibly).
>
> If you care, and the user should not, only people making character and
> command tables, what happens is this.
>
> If you click on a link in a document that has the protocol http:// then the
> system will try to look for who is the default application to handle the
> protocol, i.e., your default browser and open the link in there. Links are
> not only addresses to pages but can encode information. For example,
> <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=university+of+hawaii+hilo&sll=19.704254,-155.080175&sspn=0.033372,0.07699&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=University+of+Hawaii&hnear=University+of+Hawaii,+Hilo,+Hawaii,+96720&ll=19.701425,-155.080175&spn=0.033373,0.07699&z=14>
> is the Google Maps link to my university. It consists of much more than just
> <http://maps.google.com>, as the commands are encoded in the link.
>
> So what TSWH does is register itself in your computer (by virtue of being
> the only handler of the protocol available) to handle the texshop://
> protocol. Every link in the Grätzer table has instructions encoded for TSWH
> to translate into TeXShop "apple events" (applescript commands that TeXShop
> understands) that instruct TeXShop to insert symbols and apply accents.
>
> Let me know if this is not clear.
>
> Ramón
> --
> View this message in context: http://macosx-tex.576846.n2.nabble.com/ANN-TeXShop-Webpage-Helper-tp5176068p5179874.html
> Sent from the MacOSX-TeX mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> ----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
> List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
> TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
> List Info: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
>

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ANN: TeXShop Webpage Helper

Ramón Figueroa-Centeno
Re: ANN: TeXShop Webpage Helper Aloha,

That is a bug with TeXShop, that I never cared to report. Inserting characters into an empty document via applescript does what you say. I have tried to get around it in a number of ways, but being merely cosmetic,  I gave up.

Thanks,

Ramón

on 6/15/10 1:47 AM, N Shah [via MacOSX-TeX] at ml-node+5181561-224747391-49831@... wrote:

Hi Ramon,

Have an odd bug for you.  When inserting symbols via the hyperlinked Gratzer tables you provided, I noticed the following odd behavior.

If I open a new (blank) document in TeXShop and then click one of the hyperlinks, the text is inserted in the new document in what looks like 10pt Helvetica instead of my default editing font.  If I then type directly into the window, the new text appears in my default font.

If that isn't weird enough, if I then insert another symbol via hyperlink, this new symbol is inserted using my default font.  Now if I go and delete everything in the window and then insert another symbol, it again uses Helvetica.

In summary, it appears that when a symbol is inserted into a blank document, TeXShop's editing font is not respected.

 - Nirav

On Jun 14, 2010, at 7:57 PM, Ramón Figueroa-Centeno wrote:

>
> Aloha Hugh,
>
>> I downloaded your app. It doesn't work on 10.6.3. Double click the Icon
>> and it
>> looks as if it is starting to open and then never does. It just goes awol.
>
> Please read the Read Me. That is what it  is supposed to do. Open the
> Grätzer Math Symbols Table in TeXShop (included with the download) open a
> document in TeXShop and place the cursor in the text where the symbol you
> want inserted should go. Click on the symbol in the table, and it should get
> inserted. Select a character in your text, click on an accent in the table
> and it should be applied. The TeXShop Webpage Helper (TSWH) application
> translates the click on the link into a command for TeXShop (to the user it
> happens "automagically", TSWH works invisibly).
>
> If you care, and the user should not, only people making character and
> command tables, what happens is this.
>
> If you click on a link in a document that has the protocol <a href="http://">http:// then the
> system will try to look for who is the default application to handle the
> protocol, i.e., your default browser and open the link in there. Links are
> not only addresses to pages but can encode information. For example,
> <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=university+of+hawaii+hilo&sll=19.704254,-155.080175&sspn=0.033372,0.07699&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=University+of+Hawaii&hnear=University+of+Hawaii,+Hilo,+Hawaii,+96720&ll=19.701425,-155.080175&spn=0.033373,0.07699&z=14>
> is the Google Maps link to my university. It consists of much more than just
> <http://maps.google.com <http://maps.google.com?by-user=t> >, as the commands are encoded in the link.
>
> So what TSWH does is register itself in your computer (by virtue of being
> the only handler of the protocol available) to handle the texshop://
> protocol. Every link in the Grätzer table has instructions encoded for TSWH
> to translate into TeXShop "apple events" (applescript commands that TeXShop
> understands) that instruct TeXShop to insert symbols and apply accents.
>
> Let me know if this is not clear.
>
> Ramón
> --
> View this message in context: http://macosx-tex.576846.n2.nabble.com/ANN-TeXShop-Webpage-Helper-tp5176068p5179874.html <http://macosx-tex.576846.n2.nabble.com/ANN-TeXShop-Webpage-Helper-tp5176068p5179874.html?by-user=t>
> Sent from the MacOSX-TeX mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> ----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
> List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
> TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
> List Info: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
>

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex


View message @ http://macosx-tex.576846.n2.nabble.com/ANN-TeXShop-Webpage-Helper-tp5176068p5181561.html
To unsubscribe from Re: ANN: TeXShop Webpage Helper, click here <http://macosx-tex.576846.n2.nabble.com/subscriptions/Unsubscribe.jtp?code=cmFtb25mQGhhd2FpaS5lZHV8NTE3OTg3NHwtMTMyMjQzODM0Ng==> .


--

Ramón M. Figueroa-Centeno, Ph.D.
Associate Professor

Mathematics Department
University of Hawaii at Hilo
College Hall 4-A
200 W. Kawili St.
Hilo, HI 96720-4091

(808) 974-7387 (office)
(808) 933-3473 (fax)

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~ramonf/