Asymptote tutorial?

J. McKenzie Alexander
Hello,

Does anyone know of there any detailed tutorials for Asymptote available online? I've found the following web resource:

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Wiki/index.php/Asymptote_%28Vector_Graphics_Language%29

but, aside from that, all I have is the full Asymptote manual, which isn't particularly easy-going for a novice...

The problem I'm trying to solve arises from the following diagram, which illustrates a neighborhood of a point on the unit 2-simplex. I'm trying to figure out how to transform the labels U and \sigma so that they are drawn in the plane of the simplex. (The way it's done now looks weird if you rotate the diagram to a different perspective in Adobe Reader.)

\begin{asy}
import three;
import graph3;
unitsize(1cm);
size(4.5cm);
currentprojection=orthographic(5, -2, 3);
xaxis3( Label("$s_1$"), 0, 1.25, Arrow3);
yaxis3( Label("$s_2$"), 0, 1.25, Arrow3);
zaxis3( Label("$s_3$"), 0, 1.25, Arrow3);

path3 simplex = (1,0,0)--(0,1,0)--(0,0,1)--cycle;
draw( surface(simplex), gray+opacity(.5) );
draw( simplex );
draw( circle((.3,.4, .3), .2, (1,1,1)), linetype( new real[] {4,4}) );
dot( (.3,.4,.3) );
label("$\sigma$", (.3,.4,.3), S );
label( "$U$", (.27,.27,.46), N );
\end{asy}

Cheers,

Jason

--
Dr J. McKenzie Alexander
Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Asymptote tutorial?

William Slough
There was a talk by Michael Doob and Jim Hefferon at last summer's TeX Users Group that might be helpful.  See:

   http://tug.org/TUGboat/tb33-2/

William Slough
Mathematics and Computer Science Department
Eastern Illinois University
600 Lincoln Avenue
Charleston, IL  61920

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM, J. McKenzie Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Asymptote tutorial?

Franck Pastor

Le 20 avr. 2013 à 19:08, J. McKenzie Alexander <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know of there any detailed tutorials for Asymptote available online? I've found the following web resource:
>
> http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Wiki/index.php/Asymptote_%28Vector_Graphics_Language%29
>
> but, aside from that, all I have is the full Asymptote manual, which isn't particularly easy-going for a novice…

If you know some French, there is a very well-made tutorial for Asymptote in this language, written by Christophe Grospellier, with a bunch of illustrated examples:

http://cgmaths.fr/cgFiles/Dem_Rapide.pdf

HTH,

Franck Pastor

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Asymptote tutorial?

Alain Schremmer-2

On Apr 20, 2013, at 3:08 PM, Franck Pastor wrote:

> Le 20 avr. 2013 à 19:08, J. McKenzie Alexander <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Does anyone know of there any detailed tutorials for Asymptote
>> available online? I've found the following web resource:
>>
>> http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Wiki/index.php/Asymptote_%28Vector_Graphics_Language%29
>>
>> but, aside from that, all I have is the full Asymptote manual,
>> which isn't particularly easy-going for a novice…
>
> If you know some French, there is a very well-made tutorial for
> Asymptote in this language, written by Christophe Grospellier, with
> a bunch of illustrated examples:
>
> http://cgmaths.fr/cgFiles/Dem_Rapide.pdf
If you don't know French, I have long been thinking of getting to work
on Asymptote so you would give me an excuse actually to get started.

Regards
--alain schremmer (the i is for real.)

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Asymptote tutorial?

David Arnold-2
Some wonderful examples:

http://www.piprime.fr/files/res/geometry_en.pdf

http://www.piprime.fr/asymptote/

http://marris.org/asymptote/

D.

On Apr 20, 2013, at 10:08 AM, J. McKenzie Alexander wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know of there any detailed tutorials for Asymptote available online? I've found the following web resource:
>
> http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Wiki/index.php/Asymptote_%28Vector_Graphics_Language%29
>
> but, aside from that, all I have is the full Asymptote manual, which isn't particularly easy-going for a novice...
>
> The problem I'm trying to solve arises from the following diagram, which illustrates a neighborhood of a point on the unit 2-simplex. I'm trying to figure out how to transform the labels U and \sigma so that they are drawn in the plane of the simplex. (The way it's done now looks weird if you rotate the diagram to a different perspective in Adobe Reader.)
>
> \begin{asy}
> import three;
> import graph3;
> unitsize(1cm);
> size(4.5cm);
> currentprojection=orthographic(5, -2, 3);
> xaxis3( Label("$s_1$"), 0, 1.25, Arrow3);
> yaxis3( Label("$s_2$"), 0, 1.25, Arrow3);
> zaxis3( Label("$s_3$"), 0, 1.25, Arrow3);
>
> path3 simplex = (1,0,0)--(0,1,0)--(0,0,1)--cycle;
> draw( surface(simplex), gray+opacity(.5) );
> draw( simplex );
> draw( circle((.3,.4, .3), .2, (1,1,1)), linetype( new real[] {4,4}) );
> dot( (.3,.4,.3) );
> label("$\sigma$", (.3,.4,.3), S );
> label( "$U$", (.27,.27,.46), N );
> \end{asy}
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jason
>
> --
> Dr J. McKenzie Alexander
> Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method
> London School of Economics and Political Science
> Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
>
> Please access the attached hyperlink for an important electronic communications disclaimer: http://lse.ac.uk/emailDisclaimer
> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Asymptote tutorial?

Am 21.04.2013 um 04:31 schrieb Alain Schremmer:

> If you don't know French, I have long been thinking of getting to work on Asymptote so you would give me an excuse actually to get started.

When you want to start using graphics elements inside LaTeX files, then I'd recommend to start with TikZ/PGF. Among the advantages is that you do not need/do not depend on any external utilities. Your workflow is very straightforward and simple. In case of bugs you have only one dependency: that from the author. No-one else needed to upgrade or patch and then rebuild the external utilities. The fonts used in TikZ/PGF are exactly the same as used in LaTeX. It cannot happen that by using am encoded LaTeX font of the same name the text in the asy picture is also re-encoded – and may read something different. Similarly when you decide to save some trees and reduce the font size from 12pt to 11pt or less. With TikZ/PGF you do not have to change anything, other graphics packages are less flexible. Moreover, using XeTeX or LuaTeX you can use non-English text for labels and annotations, even Right-To-Left scripts. TikZ/PGF also has clever concepts for repetitions…

        texdoc tikz

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Asymptote tutorial?

Martin Bergren
Agreed, tixz's fantastic; a little daunting at first, but worth the investment in time to learn.

Cheers,

On Apr 21, 2013, at 13:05 , Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 21.04.2013 um 04:31 schrieb Alain Schremmer:
>
>> If you don't know French, I have long been thinking of getting to work on Asymptote so you would give me an excuse actually to get started.
>
> When you want to start using graphics elements inside LaTeX files, then I'd recommend to start with TikZ/PGF. Among the advantages is that you do not need/do not depend on any external utilities. Your workflow is very straightforward and simple. In case of bugs you have only one dependency: that from the author. No-one else needed to upgrade or patch and then rebuild the external utilities. The fonts used in TikZ/PGF are exactly the same as used in LaTeX. It cannot happen that by using am encoded LaTeX font of the same name the text in the asy picture is also re-encoded – and may read something different. Similarly when you decide to save some trees and reduce the font size from 12pt to 11pt or less. With TikZ/PGF you do not have to change anything, other graphics packages are less flexible. Moreover, using XeTeX or LuaTeX you can use non-English text for labels and annotations, even Right-To-Left scripts. TikZ/PGF also has clever concepts for repetitions…
>
> texdoc tikz
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete
>
> Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Martin Berggren
Department of Computing Science,
UMIT Research Lab
Umeå Universitet
Campustorget 5, S-901 87 Umeå, Sweden. Ph: +46-70-732 8111
http://www.cs.umu.se/~martinb, [hidden email]

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Asymptote tutorial?

Alain Schremmer-2

On Apr 21, 2013, at 7:05 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 21.04.2013 um 04:31 schrieb Alain Schremmer:
>
>> If you don't know French, I have long been thinking of getting to
>> work on Asymptote so you would give me an excuse actually to get
>> started.
>
> When you want to start using graphics elements inside LaTeX files,
> then I'd recommend to start with TikZ/PGF. Among the advantages is
> that you do not need/do not depend on any external utilities. Your
> workflow is very straightforward and simple. In case of bugs you
> have only one dependency: that from the author. No-one else needed
> to upgrade or patch and then rebuild the external utilities. The
> fonts used in TikZ/PGF are exactly the same as used in LaTeX. It
> cannot happen that by using am encoded LaTeX font of the same name
> the text in the asy picture is also re-encoded – and may read
> something different. Similarly when you decide to save some trees
> and reduce the font size from 12pt to 11pt or less. With TikZ/PGF
> you do not have to change anything, other graphics packages are less
> flexible. Moreover, using XeTeX or LuaTeX you can use non-English
> text for labels and annotations, even Right-To-Left scripts. TikZ/
> PGF also has clever concepts for repetitions…
>
> texdoc tikz
I have had the above for a long time and from what I have read of it
and about Tikz, I have long planned to learn it but "right now"
Intaglio, is "la solution de facilité"---and it is always "right now".
However, I am already using tikx-cd---which, admittedly, is cheating---
and tikx-cd is indeed very nice and will put up with things I would
not have expected:

And, note, I said "work", not "learn", and even less "use". I know
enough not to. But, for some---unknown---reason, I am intrigued by
Asymptote. Maybe it is what is left of the geometer in me.

And I will learn Tikz---but, "right now", I don't have the time.

Regards
--schremmer
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Tikz-cd.pdf (18K) Download Attachment

Re: Asymptote tutorial?

Alain Schremmer-2

On Apr 21, 2013, at 7:26 AM, Martin Berggren wrote:

> Agreed, tixz's fantastic; a little daunting at first, but worth the
> investment in time to learn.

While I have no doubt about this last, it takes a staunch heart to
switch! And, so far, ...

Best regards
--schremmer

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Asymptote tutorial?

Vamos, Peter
Here is another vote for TikZ/PGF.  To add to what Peter D. wrote: TikZ/PGF was originally written by Till Tantau who also wrote Beamer. Great manual, in English. If you read the Beamer manual then you'll know what to expect. Read the Tutorial Chapter I.2 to get the flavour.

Disclaimer: I never used asymptote I am just a very impressed user of TikZ/PGF.

Peter
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Asymptote tutorial?

Franck Pastor

Le 21 avr. 2013 à 13:05, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Am 21.04.2013 um 04:31 schrieb Alain Schremmer:
>
>> If you don't know French, I have long been thinking of getting to work on Asymptote so you would give me an excuse actually to get started.
>
> When you want to start using graphics elements inside LaTeX files, then I'd recommend to start with TikZ/PGF. Among the advantages is that you do not need/do not depend on any external utilities. Your workflow is very straightforward and simple. In case of bugs you have only one dependency: that from the author. No-one else needed to upgrade or patch and then rebuild the external utilities. The fonts used in TikZ/PGF are exactly the same as used in LaTeX. It cannot happen that by using am encoded LaTeX font of the same name the text in the asy picture is also re-encoded – and may read something different.

As far as I know, If you use Asymptote in its inline mode — that is to say, if you use the "Asymptote" LaTeX package with the "inline" option, then Asymptote (the program) uses by default the font of your LaTeX document.

> Similarly when you decide to save some trees and reduce the font size from 12pt to 11pt or less. With TikZ/PGF you do not have to change anything, other graphics packages are less flexible.

See above…

> Moreover, using XeTeX or LuaTeX you can use non-English text for labels and annotations, even Right-To-Left scripts. TikZ/PGF also has clever concepts for repetitions…

Asymptote is fully compatible with Xe(La)TeX (which I don't use, so I've not tested this compatibility). As far as I know, it (still) can't be used with Lua(La)TeX.

Anyway, it can't be doubted that Tikz is better integrated to LaTeX than Asymptote. Still, it is easier to program your own macros/functions in Asymptote since it's a full-fledged programming language, close to C++. And it is very powerful, far more than Tikz, especially for 3D drawings which Asymptote fully supports. See this very impressive documentation (also in French):

http://marris.org/ressources/ASY_3D.pdf

Franck Pastor

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Asymptote tutorial?

J. McKenzie Alexander
Many thanks for all the detailed replies. Given the number of documents in French, it looks like I'll be searching for an online translator that can handle PDFs. (Google Translate doesn't like large files, it seems.)

And I generally agree with the recommendations for PGF/TiKZ, at least for two-dimensional graphics and figures. However, for 3D graphics of any complexity, the best tools I've found so far seem to be Asymptote and Sketch.

Best wishes,

Jason

On 21 Apr 2013, at 18:35:51, Franck Pastor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyway, it can't be doubted that Tikz is better integrated to LaTeX than Asymptote. Still, it is easier to program your own macros/functions in Asymptote since it's a full-fledged programming language, close to C++. And it is very powerful, far more than Tikz, especially for 3D drawings which Asymptote fully supports. See this very impressive documentation (also in French):
>
> http://marris.org/ressources/ASY_3D.pdf
>

> Franck Pastor

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Asymptote tutorial?

William Adams
On Apr 22, 2013, at 4:23 AM, J. McKenzie Alexander wrote:

> 3D graphics of any complexity, the best tools I've found so far seem to be Asymptote and Sketch

First off, I'll note that I was very successful w/ Asymptote for a basic 2D engineering task recently, and found using TeXshop as a front-end quite straight-forward --- see the archives.

Second, a request --- what is ``Sketch'' in this context?

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Asymptote tutorial?

Joshua Smith-4

On Apr 22, 2013, at 8:01 AM, William Adams wrote:

> Second, a request --- what is ``Sketch'' in this context?

Sketch is "a small, simple system for producing line drawings of two- or three-dimensional solid objects and scenes."

http://www.frontiernet.net/~eugene.ressler/

Josh----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Asymptote tutorial?

William Adams
On Apr 22, 2013, at 8:10 AM, Joshua Smith wrote:

> Sketch is "a small, simple system for producing line drawings of two- or three-dimensional solid objects and scenes."
>
> http://www.frontiernet.net/~eugene.ressler/

OIC.

Thanks for jogging my memory --- cool tool, I just wish it didn't use polygons (I'm still struggling w/ ImplicitCAD after running into the limitations of exporting from OpenSCAD).

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer
Fry Communications
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Asymptote tutorial?

Don Green Dragon
Hello Peter,

On 21Apr2013, at 5:05 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 21.04.2013 um 04:31 schrieb Alain Schremmer:
>
>> If you don't know French, I have long been thinking of getting to work on Asymptote so you would give me an excuse actually to get started.
>
> When you want to start using graphics elements inside LaTeX files, then I'd recommend to start with TikZ/PGF. Among the advantages is that you do not need/do not depend on any external utilities. Your workflow is very straightforward and simple. In case of bugs you have only one dependency: that from the author. No-one else needed to upgrade or patch and then rebuild the external utilities. The fonts used in TikZ/PGF are exactly the same as used in LaTeX. It cannot happen that by using am encoded LaTeX font of the same name the text in the asy picture is also re-encoded – and may read something different. Similarly when you decide to save some trees and reduce the font size from 12pt to 11pt or less. With TikZ/PGF you do not have to change anything, other graphics packages are less flexible. Moreover, using XeTeX or LuaTeX you can use non-English text for labels and annotations, even Right-To-Left scripts. TikZ/PGF also has clever concepts for repetitions…
>
> texdoc tikz

Your advice above is much appreciated here. Up to this point I've been using overkill applications like Inkscape. They work, but Inkscape, for example, is a bit of a monster to use and the manual is dreadful. After casually looking at TFM tikz, I like the compactness of the code for simple graphic displays, which, in the main, are the kind of graphic displays that I need.

Don Green Dragon

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/