Best iPad PDF viewer for math?

riseguin
Skim does not make a PDF viewer for iPads. What iPad PDF viewer most closely matches the capability of Skim, especially in regard to math documents? I can view my PDF documents in the Books and Safari apps, but they don’t seem to give me the table of contents in a readily accessible sidebar, don’t have Back and Forward buttons (pages in order of viewing), can't navigate by logical rather than physical page, and don’t give a thumbnail of a \ref if I hoover the cursor over the \ref.

There are a bunch of these viewers available, and I’m hoping that someone has already done research so I don’t have to.

It would be wonderful to be able to be able to carry around 200 page math documents in a svelte one pound package like my iPad Air.

Richard Séguin
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Best iPad PDF viewer for math?

MacOSX-TeX mailing list
Hi,

I use the free version of PDF viewer (From pdfkit; https://apps.apple.com/es/app/pdf-viewer-pro-by-pspdfkit/id1120099014 ) and I think it fulfills  your requeriments.

Take care.

Enviado desde mi iPad Pro

El 21 ago 2020, a las 19:41, Richard Seguin <[hidden email]> escribió:

Skim does not make a PDF viewer for iPads. What iPad PDF viewer most closely matches the capability of Skim, especially in regard to math documents? I can view my PDF documents in the Books and Safari apps, but they don’t seem to give me the table of contents in a readily accessible sidebar, don’t have Back and Forward buttons (pages in order of viewing), can't navigate by logical rather than physical page, and don’t give a thumbnail of a \ref if I hoover the cursor over the \ref.

There are a bunch of these viewers available, and I’m hoping that someone has already done research so I don’t have to.

It would be wonderful to be able to be able to carry around 200 page math documents in a svelte one pound package like my iPad Air.

Richard Séguin
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Best iPad PDF viewer for math?

Marc Larcher-2
Hi!
I've been using PDF-notes for five years and I really like the multi-fingering shortcuts, the easy navigation through a lot of pages and the quality of display. My 2c.

Marc Larcher

Le ven. 21 août 2020 à 19:52, Javier Hornero via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Best iPad PDF viewer for math?

Ettore Aldrovandi
Notability is wonderful for writing—and even better with the Apple pencil. That’s my default note-taking and lecturing (now in these Zoom dominated days) tool.

However, just for reading PDFs there are better more specialized apps. I am a longtime GoodReader user, and most recently I’m using PDF Expert. Both are excellent: they can open several PDFs simultaneously, you can mark them, and they seem to cope fairly well with large synchronized folders, offering a large array of underlying connection protocols. I have a folder with about 13GB worth of PDFs which is synced over SFTP without a hitch.

Hope this helps,

—Ettore

Ettore Aldrovandi
Department of Mathematics, Florida State University
1017 Academic Way                *   http://www.math.fsu.edu/~ealdrov
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4510, USA * * aldrovandi at math dot fsu dot edu

On Aug 21, 2020, at 18:38, Louis Talman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Best iPad PDF viewer for math?

Ross Moore-3
Hi all,

On 22 Aug 2020, at 8:38 am, Louis Talman <[hidden email]> wrote:

I use Notability.  In addition to the abilities you ask for, it allows one to write on PDFs, either those imported or those created by the app.  Inexpensive styli work, though for good resolution you will want to go a step up to Adonit’s Mark 4.  (In any event, use a capacitive stylus for economy.  I presume that an Apple Pencil or something of that ilk will work, but why spend the $$$!). You can also connect it to a projector, use it as a display in your classroom as you record what you write in class.  Then you can transfer the resulting PDF to a website where students can have access to it.

I use an iPad Pro with Apple pencil.
This was purchased using funds not otherwise spent on travelling to TUG 2020.
When we first went into lock-down mid-March, I ordered it all straight-away, as the need to deliver
tutorials on-screen was so obvious. My Department/Faculty fast-tracked the approval to use those funds.

The natural viewer that comes by accessing PDFs via the iPad's File System app is fine.
(I suppose this is a version of Preview for iOS.)

It supports the Apple Pencil, of course, and lets you zoom and navigate with gestures or move through pages
via small icons for each page, down the right side. (Maybe it can be switched to left, I don’t know yet.)
Basically there’s no obvious need for any other App.
With AirDrop, I copy the TeX-produced PDFs from the MacBook to the iPad, and can place the result
into appropriate folders for each class that I’m teaching. It’s all very, very convenient.

Using an HDMI cable, I share the iPad screen, to be shown in a Zoom session run from my laptop.
Zoom can be run from the iPad itself, but the restriction to a single window/screen at a time makes that rather
clunky to control allowing students to join, and monitoring Chat contents, etc., at the same time as delivering
a lecture or tutorial class.
On the other hand, I have frequently joined a Zoom session with the iPad as co-Host, giving a way to
both see what students are seeing, and have the ability to share the iPad’s screen directly as a
separate Zoom participant.
(There is an issue, however, with Cloud recordings when there are 2 instances of the same login address.
 Recording onto the local computer seems to be fine, though.)

Adobe has a free reader:  Acrobat Mobile  for iOS. Again the Apple pencil is supported.
There’s a popup for Bookmarks, and a slider down the RHS for quickly flowing through pages.
In a sense this is nicer, as you are automatically in full-screen mode, unless bringing up
and using tools with appropriate gestures. Use gestures to smoothly resize/zoom in and out.

You can Save and Export in many different formats; but some features require an extra subscription
— just like you don’t get in Adobe Reader everything that Acrobat Pro can do, without paying a little bit.

Acrobat Mobile also has a new experimental feature called Liquid Mode.
However this is (so far) only used with small documents, of specific types.
It doesn’t work with my teaching materials, as these are regarded as too large
or complex for Liquid Mode. There’s no crash or anything, just the popup
saying that the PDF isn’t suitable for that mode.

As with other iPad Apps, you can share a document to Acrobat Mobile.
This then creates a second copy that is used privately by AM, after some initial scanning
and/or processing for suitability.
Presumably it is at this point that it is determined whether Liquid Mode is appropriate for it,
and whether all the specified fonts are available – in case any are not embedded.

Upon receiving a file via AirDrop, I can choose to associate the PDF to Acrobat Mobile.
Or the association can be done at any later time, by sharing from whatever other App
you may be using to view the PDF.

I suggest you get the free Acrobat Mobile from the App store and see how you like it.
I can see it only getting better, as Adobe does have a real commitment to improving
the experience of reading PDFs.

On Aug 21, 2020, 11:41 AM -0600, Richard Seguin <[hidden email]>, wrote:
Skim does not make a PDF viewer for iPads. What iPad PDF viewer most closely matches the capability of Skim, especially in regard to math documents? I can view my PDF documents in the Books and Safari apps, but they don’t seem to give me the table of contents in a readily accessible sidebar, don’t have Back and Forward buttons (pages in order of viewing), can't navigate by logical rather than physical page, and don’t give a thumbnail of a \ref if I hoover the cursor over the \ref.

There are a bunch of these viewers available, and I’m hoping that someone has already done research so I don’t have to.

It would be wonderful to be able to be able to carry around 200 page math documents in a svelte one pound package like my iPad Air.

Richard Séguin

Hope this helps.

Ross

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Best iPad PDF viewer for math?

riseguin
All — Thanks all for the responses! Earlier today I downloaded the free version of PDF Viewer Pro and it does have more capability than the Books viewer.

Ross — it appears that you’ve created folders on your iPad to sort types of documents. How did you create the folders? It’s not obvious that that can be done from the Files app. As someone new to the iPad, the file system is a bit of a mystery.

I originally discovered the Books viewer when I emailed a PDF document to myself and brought it up in the iPad from Earthlink web mail. I somehow wound up opening it up in Safari, and from Safari I somehow associated it with the Books app, which displays the document in a fairly minimalistic but attractive way. With the Files app, I have not been able to find where that document is located. It’s as if it disappeared into a black hole. I again downloaded that file via the Earthlink web mail in Safari, and this time was able to direct it to the Downloads folder, which is the only folder in the file system that I’ve seen so far. When I double clicked on the document there, it opened in what I think Ross refers to as “the natural viewer that comes by accessing PDFs via the iPad's File System app.” This was definitely better than the Books version. Then I associated it with PDF Viewer Pro and tried it with that. Next up tomorrow I’ll look at the Adobe version.

I also got an Apple Pencil right away. It’s not only good for drawing and freehand writing, but also manipulating tiny elements on the screen when my fingers are clumsy at it.

By the way, I have discovered that some USB microphones work with the iPad Air via the lightning port to USB “camera adapter.” I have a desktop microphone (Fifine K670B) that I will be using for some video conferencing with the iPad, and the audio should be considerably better than the built in one. One worry is that the microphone will draw down the charge in the iPad faster than usual, but the adapter I have has a second lightning port in which you can plug the charger.

Richard

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Best iPad PDF viewer for math?

Ross Moore-3
Hi Richard,

On 22 Aug 2020, at 2:11 pm, Richard Seguin <[hidden email]> wrote:

All — Thanks all for the responses! Earlier today I downloaded the free version of PDF Viewer Pro and it does have more capability than the Books viewer.

Ross — it appears that you’ve created folders on your iPad to sort types of documents. How did you create the folders? It’s not obvious that that can be done from the Files app. As someone new to the iPad, the file system is a bit of a mystery.

Find a way to “Browse”, then select “On My iPad” in the left listing,
under “locations” if this is not already open.

You should get 2 columns, for Folders and Files in the selected folder.
There’s an icon of a folder with a small ‘+' sign.
After seeing this, the rest is clear.

I originally discovered the Books viewer when I emailed a PDF document to myself and brought it up in the iPad from Earthlink web mail. I somehow wound up opening it up in Safari, and from Safari I somehow associated it with the Books app, which displays the document in a fairly minimalistic but attractive way. With the Files app, I have not been able to find where that document is located.

My understanding with iOS is that every application has its own area for saving files associated with the App.
It’s not at all the same as with a MacBook, or earlier computer.
There is no, at least not readily available, file system that is shared by everything else.

Files will only handle files that you have associated with it.
It cannot search for files associated to other Apps.

For those of us who have been brought up with full access to all files on the computer,
it is a quite different experience.

Hope the helps.

Ross

[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

TeX FAQ: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/iAL7CE8wlRCo3wWxTNyydL?domain=tex.ac.uk
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/7BfvCGv0Z6fZ1rJ4t7Z79e?domain=sites.esm.psu.edu/
               https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/pc3gCK1DOrCx2QqWFAVFk7?domain=email.esm.psu.edu/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/iF_aCL7Eg9fMR0P9ujVh8c?domain=mactex-wiki.tug.org/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Best iPad PDF viewer for math?

Gray, Gary L

On Aug 21, 2020, at 7:39 PM, Ross Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:

Using an HDMI cable, I share the iPad screen, to be shown in a Zoom session run from my laptop.
Zoom can be run from the iPad itself, but the restriction to a single window/screen at a time makes that rather
clunky to control allowing students to join, and monitoring Chat contents, etc., at the same time as delivering
a lecture or tutorial class.

I learned just a couple of weeks ago that you can do this and it works *very* well. This can also be done wirelessly using AirPlay if both devices are on the same WiFi network.

On the other hand, I have frequently joined a Zoom session with the iPad as co-Host, giving a way to
both see what students are seeing, and have the ability to share the iPad’s screen directly as a
separate Zoom participant.

This is what I did in the spring after we went online. It also *seemed* to work well. See below.

(There is an issue, however, with Cloud recordings when there are 2 instances of the same login address.
 Recording onto the local computer seems to be fine, though.)

What issue are you seeing with cloud recordings in this mode? I did notice that my cloud recordings were very low resolution when done this way and were much higher resolution when I shared my iPad screen when it's connected to my Mac.

Classes start Monday and I am still working out all the technology details.

Gary

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Best iPad PDF viewer for math?

Ross Moore-3
Hi Gary,

On 22 Aug 2020, at 10:32 pm, Gray, Gary L <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Aug 21, 2020, at 7:39 PM, Ross Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:

Using an HDMI cable, I share the iPad screen, to be shown in a Zoom session run from my laptop.
Zoom can be run from the iPad itself, but the restriction to a single window/screen at a time makes that rather
clunky to control allowing students to join, and monitoring Chat contents, etc., at the same time as delivering
a lecture or tutorial class.

I learned just a couple of weeks ago that you can do this and it works *very* well. This can also be done wirelessly using AirPlay if both devices are on the same WiFi network.

My MacBook dates back to late 2014.
It does not do AirPlay natively.
Updates to the OS do *not* help.

However, there is a free App called "5K Player”. If you have this installed, then the HDMI cable works.
(I have a 2nd MacBook which is even older, and this trick does *not* work with it.
 When my 2014 MacBook was in for a replacement battery – which means the whole top of the case
must be replaced – then the extra Zoom participation, as below, was definitely needed.)

On the other hand, I have frequently joined a Zoom session with the iPad as co-Host, giving a way to
both see what students are seeing, and have the ability to share the iPad’s screen directly as a
separate Zoom participant.

This is what I did in the spring after we went online. It also *seemed* to work well. See below.

(There is an issue, however, with Cloud recordings when there are 2 instances of the same login address.
 Recording onto the local computer seems to be fine, though.)

What issue are you seeing with cloud recordings in this mode?

I have used an iPad as a document viewer, to share hand-writing on an otherwise blank sheet of paper.
It was logged-in to Zoom using the same account as the MacBook as Host.
Then I could share the iPad screen so that students could see it, but this was *not* captured
in Cloud recordings. Instead one gets the Host’s camera view – totally useless, as you are trying to write
on an iPad screen, which is not within the camera’s view.

I ascribe this to the fact that both participant’s video feeds are using the *same* login name/password.
The recording could not tell which of the two video feeds was really required.

However, it *was* captured in recordings made to the host MacBook.
This may be a local issue, with my institution’s Zoom configuration. Who knows?

You don’t find out about this for several hours, after the session has finished.
Thus it is indeed something worth knowing – or at least checking for.

I did notice that my cloud recordings were very low resolution when done this way and were much higher resolution when I shared my iPad screen when it's connected to my Mac.

OK. That’s a useful piece of information.

Classes start Monday and I am still working out all the technology details.

Glad I can be of some assistance.

Cheers.
Stay safe.

Ross

Gary

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Best iPad PDF viewer for math?

Nicolae Garleanu-2
Hi Gary,

Could I ask in which app you open the document on the iPad that you share via HDMI cable? And do you sometimes write on this document (pdf, I assume) during the presentation?

Here is what I know. Using Goodnotes, if I connect via Airplay — that is, share screen in Zoom by choosing "iPad via Airplay” — then Goodnotes enters presentation mode and I can choose the option that I like among the three (I like “mirror full page,” which hides the interface and has nice page transitions). However, if I connect via cable (USB-C, not HDMI), then I am just sharing the full screen of the iPad, which is nowhere near as nice. I would like the safety of a wired iPad-macbook connection, but Goodnotes with Airplay is quite a bit better than simply sharing the screen.

On the recording note: In the spring I taught by logging in (using the same ID) from desktop computer (for video/audio and to monitor chats etc) and MS Surface (for slides; this screen almost always shared). What I saw of the recordings seemed fine. Furthermore, no student raised any issue. We also have a dedicated staff member that was logged on to make sure that technology worked (e.g., that I had restarted recording once I paused it for the break); he mentioned at some point that the recordings were fine (he checks them before posting for the students).  Ross’s issue may be specific to institutional set-up, etc. I haven’t tried this with an iPad yet, hadn’t realized it could be problematic. At least it is easy to check, by running a brief meeting by myself whenever and viewing the recording a couple of minutes later.

Best,
Nicolae

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Best iPad PDF viewer for math?

riseguin
Ross,

Thanks! I see how to create the folder structures now, and as a long time laptop and desktop user, and as a result I feel a lot more comfortable with this iPad Air.

Richard

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

TeX FAQ: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/iAL7CE8wlRCo3wWxTNyydL?domain=tex.ac.uk
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/7BfvCGv0Z6fZ1rJ4t7Z79e?domain=sites.esm.psu.edu/
               https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/pc3gCK1DOrCx2QqWFAVFk7?domain=email.esm.psu.edu/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/iF_aCL7Eg9fMR0P9ujVh8c?domain=mactex-wiki.tug.org/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Best iPad PDF viewer for math?

Lee Larson
On Aug 21, 2020, at 7:39 PM, Ross Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:

Using an HDMI cable, I share the iPad screen, to be shown in a Zoom session run from my laptop.
Zoom can be run from the iPad itself, but the restriction to a single window/screen at a time makes that rather
clunky to control allowing students to join, and monitoring Chat contents, etc., at the same time as delivering
a lecture or tutorial class.

I do this a little differently. I connect the iPad to my Mac with a USB cable and share the screen in a window on the Mac using Quicktime Player. I can have several programs running on the Mac in different windows (Keynote, Quicktime Player, Mathematica, …). When I share the Mac screen I can instantly switch between these programs.

To use the iPad as a whiteboard, I usually use ShowMe or Inkredible.

L^2

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Best iPad PDF viewer for math?

Gray, Gary L
See my responses below. There are so many possibilities and so much to unwrap with this stuff.

On Aug 22, 2020, at 11:34 AM, Nicolae Garleanu <[hidden email]> wrote:

Could I ask in which app you open the document on the iPad that you share via HDMI cable? And do you sometimes write on this document (pdf, I assume) during the presentation?

I am teaching two engineering courses this fall. One is a senior-level applied math class and one is a numerical analysis class. In both courses, not only will I be sharing my iPad screen on which I will write notes, I will also need to switch to sharing Mathematica notebook, Matlab code, and YouTube videos.

In the spring, I would start a meeting on my Mac, join the meeting from my iPad as a co-host, and then share the screen on my iPad so that the students could see what see me writing notes (using Notability -- I have since switch to GoodNotes, which I like a lot more). I set the cloud recording from my Mac. The videos on Zoom were almost all 480p. They were readable, but they weren't great.

Earlier this summer, I realized that you can connect your iPad to your Mac with a cable (USB C or lightning, depending on the iPad model) and then choose to share the iPad screen from within Zoom. As I think has been mentioned, this was nice because *everything* was done on the Mac. The iPad was really just being using as a pen tablet. I played around with that the videos were all 1080p and looked a lot better. This is probably what I will do this semester, which starts in two days.

As I mentioned in my response to Ross, I realized yesterday that you can connect your iPad to your Mac, with a cable or with AirPlay, open QuickTime, choose File > New Movie Recording, and then in the window that opens, click on the dropdown menu next to the record button and select the iPad, and then the iPad screen will be recorded. You can then share the iPad screen on your Mac to your students and the recording will then happen locally. This also worked well.

Here is what I know. Using Goodnotes, if I connect via Airplay — that is, share screen in Zoom by choosing "iPad via Airplay” — then Goodnotes enters presentation mode and I can choose the option that I like among the three (I like “mirror full page,” which hides the interface and has nice page transitions). However, if I connect via cable (USB-C, not HDMI), then I am just sharing the full screen of the iPad, which is nowhere near as nice. I would like the safety of a wired iPad-macbook connection, but Goodnotes with Airplay is quite a bit better than simply sharing the screen.

This was news to me! I guess I am not yet familiar enough with what GoodNotes can do. I just tried it and you are right, it is nice to be able to hide the GoodNotes interface.

On the recording note: In the spring I taught by logging in (using the same ID) from desktop computer (for video/audio and to monitor chats etc) and MS Surface (for slides; this screen almost always shared). What I saw of the recordings seemed fine. Furthermore, no student raised any issue. We also have a dedicated staff member that was logged on to make sure that technology worked (e.g., that I had restarted recording once I paused it for the break); he mentioned at some point that the recordings were fine (he checks them before posting for the students).  Ross’s issue may be specific to institutional set-up, etc. I haven’t tried this with an iPad yet, hadn’t realized it could be problematic. At least it is easy to check, by running a brief meeting by myself whenever and viewing the recording a couple of minutes later.

If you download the video from Zoom, what is the resolution?

Gary

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Best iPad PDF viewer for math?

Nicolae Garleanu-2
In my case, the recording was set automatically in my Zoom profile; I would typically pause it while I set things up — including logging in on the tablet — chatted with teaching assistant, etc., then start, pause again during break, and so on. I don’t think it matters whether by default the meeting is recorded or not, though; I think I may even have changed preferences temporarily and started manually once or twice for some reason.

As for the quality, in the video the pdf slides look as good as the native file as far I can tell on my shiny new MBP. Occasionally I would share a pdf or excel file from the desktop (from which I host the meeting); I didn’t try to find such a segment, but I expect that quality to be the same (i.e., high). Having said all this, I don’t know where to check the resolution; the video files are hosted by Panopto. Playing around on the site, it seems that I can choose to export the file as 1080p (60fps) as best quality. Hopefully that refers to all the material in the recording.

(Also, since I wanted to know, I ran the iPad test*, starting a meeting on the Mac and sharing the iPad screen where I presented with GoodNotes. I recorded it in the cloud, then downloaded the file. Quality seems a little poorer — but I didn’t use a presentation file with typed text — though passable. QuickTime gives me the following information: resolution 1760x810, data rate 250kb/s. I also looked to see whether one can choose recording resolution in Zoom setting, but no; there is only one bit about “optimizing the recording for 3rd party video editor.”
* This is not the same as recording a meeting into which I log twice, which is what we were discussing earlier.)

Nicolae

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Best iPad PDF viewer for math?

riseguin
I finally found a viewer that I like:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/foxit-pdf-reader-mobile/id507040546#?platform=ipad

I read somewhere that this is the reader most like Skim, although a mobile app is just not going to look like Skim. The free version of Foxit PDF Reader Mobile has a generous and nice set of features, such as searching text and automatically bookmarking table of contents, and more can be added with an inexpensive subscription. Unlike other viewers, the free version of this did not  immediately begin nagging me to, for example, visit the Google app store (???!), upgrade to a paid subscription version, or sign in to a choice of Apple, Facebook, or Adobe with a two factor sign-in.

Richard Séguin
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/