Book in LaTex

Vamos, Peter
New year, new resolutions. I am embarking on my first book (non-technical) in LaTex. All I know is that I need the memoir class. I certainly want an index and one or more of Introduction, Preface, Acknowledgements

Recommendations of any packages, also advice, tips are most welcome. Layout and fonts are not important since, hopefully, I’ll have a publisher who will apply their house style. Thanks.

Peter Vamos
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Book in LaTex

MacOSX-TeX mailing list
Hi Peter,

Congratulations on your resolution, I have written two books, both in latex, and I am itching to write more.  I use memoir as my standard document class for everything I do in latex unless a publisher provides a different class. It is very versatile and has many built-in styles. There are a few things you should consider before you start.

First, are you preparing the entire document yourself, or do you plan to give it to a publisher. If you work with a publisher you shouldn't spend too much time on your side because the publisher will transfer your book to their format.

If you are self-publishing, then you should spend some time planning the book design. Memoir has many built-in formats that you can switch between using the command \chapterstyle (see the attached preamble below).

Personally I like the tufte style, which you can download from here:

https://tufte-latex.github.io/tufte-latex/

I like its general appearance and the idea of placing figures and footnotes on the margin. However, tufte is not easily customizable and for this reason I am now using memoir to emulate tufte's general look.

The snippet below is my standard template for memoir documents. It is a standard format that places footnotes at the bottom and figures in the text. If you are interested in my tufte emulation I can send you the files off line.

I hope this helps,

Themis

%!TEX TS-program = pdflatex
%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
%-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
\documentclass[11pt]{memoir}
\usepackage{microtype}
\usepackage{amsmath, amsthm, amssymb}
\usepackage[round]{natbib}
\usepackage{pdfpages}
\usepackage[colorlinks=true,citecolor=blue,linkcolor=blue,urlcolor=blue]{hyperref}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage{enumitem}% to fix spacing in enumerate: \begin{enumerate}[noitemsep,topsep=0pt]
\usepackage{tmtex}% various personal customizations by tm
\myfonts

%---Begin LaTeX - Memoir customise-----------------------------------------*
\pretitle{\centering\sffamily\huge}
\posttitle{\vskip 0.5em}
\maxtocdepth{section}
\maxsecnumdepth{section} % number subsections
\pagestyle{ruled} %
        %also: empty, plain, headings, myheadings, simple, ruled, Ruled,
        %also: companion, book, chapter, cleared, part, title, titlepage
\chapterstyle{bianchi}
        %also: default, section, hangnum, companion, article, reparticle
        %also: bianchi, brighthurst, brotherton, chappell, crosshead, culver,
        %also: dash, demo2, demo3,  dowdingell, ell, ger, komalke, lyhne, madsen
        %also: ntglike, pederson,  southall, tandh, thatcher, veelo, verville,
        %also: wilsondob
% favorites:
        %      bianchi (*)
        %      thatcher (*) bug when \ref used inside \chapter
        %      southall
        %      chappell (?)
        %      dash
        %      ell
        %      ger
        %      veelo (seems to require pdfpages!?)
\renewcommand{\chapnamefont}{\normalfont\LARGE}
\renewcommand{\chaptitlefont}{\normalfont\LARGE}
\renewcommand{\chapnumfont} {\normalfont\LARGE}
\setsecheadstyle{\large\bfseries\raggedright}
\setsubsecheadstyle{\normalsize\bfseries\raggedright}
%---End LaTeX - Memoir customize-------------------------------------------*

\title{
\LARGE\em Title\\
\vspace{12pt}
\large Subtitle}
\author{
 Themis Matsoukas\\
 Department of Chemical Engineering\\
 Penn State University\\
}

%--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
\begin{document}
\maketitle
\thispagestyle{empty}
\bibliographystyle{abbrvnat}
\bibliography{tm}

%--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
\end{document}
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Book in LaTex

Vamos, Peter
Thank you Themis. Very useful. Since posting I noticed that there is a ‘book’ document class. Do you or anyone on this list has used it? Of course it does have documentation, far too detailed to judge it.

Peter

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Book in LaTex

riseguin
About ten years ago, I compared the book and memoir classes, and decided to use the memoir class. It was long enough ago though that I don’t completely remember why I favored one over the other. I probably partly relied on a general consensus I found in comments on the internet that memoir is more versatile. You could do a search such as “latex memoir versus book.” I just did that and found:

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/208791/is-memoir-class-like-an-extended-version-of-book-class

There are a lot of predefined styles for memoir (i.e. specifying the appearance of chapter titles, etc.), and I found one that was close to an aesthetic that I liked. Further searching on the internet found general methods of customizing those styles. Customizing an existing style was easier than completely defining one from scratch.

Richard Séguin

> On Jan 16, 2020, at 11:58 AM, Vamos, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you Themis. Very useful. Since posting I noticed that there is a ‘book’ document class. Do you or anyone on this list has used it? Of course it does have documentation, far too detailed to judge it.
>
> Peter

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Book in LaTex

MacOSX-TeX mailing list
Peter,

the class book is very basic, memoir can do everything that book does and more. Moreover, memoir is extensively documented, its manual is 611 pages(!). To get it use cmd+option in texshop, then type memoir or meman in the window that opens.

Themis

> On Jan 16, 2020, at 12:58 PM, Vamos, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you Themis. Very useful. Since posting I noticed that there is a ‘book’ document class. Do you or anyone on this list has used it? Of course it does have documentation, far too detailed to judge it.
>
> Peter

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Begin forwarded message:

> [...]

> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/208791/is-memoir-class-like-an-extended-version-of-book-class
>
> There are a lot of predefined styles for memoir (i.e. specifying the appearance of chapter titles, etc.), and I found one that was close to an aesthetic that I liked. Further searching on the internet found general methods of customizing those styles. Customizing an existing style was easier than completely defining one from scratch.
>
> Richard Séguin
>
>> On Jan 16, 2020, at 11:58 AM, Vamos, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you Themis. Very useful. Since posting I noticed that there is a ‘book’ document class. Do you or anyone on this list has used it? Of course it does have documentation, far too detailed to judge it.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Book in LaTex

David Derbes-3
Hi, Peter et al.

I think that the memoir class is certainly the right choice. Additionally, Lars Madsen who I think is maintaining the memoir class has been exceedingly helpful when I get stuck. The manual is a little intimidating but excellent.

With six other people, I recently finished a massive 1200 page book that I think looks pretty good, all done in LaTeX with illustrations by Mathematica and Illustrator. You can see it (or bits of it) at Amazon:

(Alas, the look inside uses the Kindle version, yecch. If you go to World Scientific, I think you can see the first chapter, which may give you an idea of the layout.)

It’s an obvious remark but I’ll make it anyway. You need a main file and then an included file for the title page, the preface, the foreword or introduction, (all this is front matter), the main matter (every chapter gets its own included file,
or do it any way you like), and then the back matter (appendices, acknowledgements, and so on). LaTeX will with the right incantations build you a nice Table of Contents and index (or several indices) and bibliography.

It wound be insanity to do this as one gigantic file. I also had a separate directory for all the illustrations, but they could have gone into the individual chapters, I guess. That seemed easier.

Good luck!
David Derbes
(recently retired from the Lab Schools, U of Chicago)

On Jan 16, 2020, at 5:39, Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Book in LaTex

riseguin
Also, if you search for “memoir chapter styles” you’ll find a lot of information about formatting within memoir. This example shows all of the included chapter styles:

This is another fruitful search: “modify memoir chapter styles”. Substitute “section” for “chapter” in the above. I think I also found this helpful:

Richard Séguin

On Jan 16, 2020, at 12:21 PM, Richard Seguin <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Book in LaTex

Vamos, Peter
Thank you to all who responded. It was very useful.

Peter

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Book in LaTex

Gerben Wierda-2
I wrote two books, one with TeX, but I decided then to use the ConTeXt, not the LATeX environment. First chapter is a free download to be found here: download for free

I liked ConTeXt more than LATeX for its power in how I can make things look. There is also an active community. The disadvantage is that it is more akin to a (TeX-based) research project than a production environment. Another advantage is that you can do things like have a single code base for PDF and ePUB, for instance. I create ePUB from my ConTeXt sources, then changed that into a book for the Apple iBook Store (which use an ePUB derivative format). We are now 5 years on and ConTeXt has developed/changed massively, so for me it would largely be starting anew.

On 15 Jan 2020, at 19:40, Vamos, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

New year, new resolutions. I am embarking on my first book (non-technical) in LaTex. All I know is that I need the memoir class. I certainly want an index and one or more of Introduction, Preface, Acknowledgements

Recommendations of any packages, also advice, tips are most welcome. Layout and fonts are not important since, hopefully, I’ll have a publisher who will apply their house style. Thanks.

Peter Vamos
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Book in LaTex

Vamos, Peter
Gerben,

Thank you for your response. A blast from the past. I remember using your installers.
Your books are beautiful. You swayed me towards ConText.Mostly for the portability you mentioned. Could you send me a mwe of a preamble for a book in ConText? The book I am planning is double biography of my father and myself. No mathematics. A few photographs.

Thanks

Peter

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Book in LaTex

MacOSX-TeX mailing list
I was going back into the MacTeX list and noticed that I probably never answer this mail. My apologies.

To be frank, my book setup was from 2014 and given the state of flux I doubt it would work in a current ConTeXt. I’ve been doing some wild things with ConTeXt + METAPOST (LuaMetaTeX) recently (not really public yet that it was done with ConTeXt), (see Обзор ArchiMate 3.1 PDF)

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/