Changing dvips-distiller configuration

Dennis Kletzing
Hi:

I want to add some information to the TeX + dvips + distiller entry in the TeXShop Preferences panel to changed how it prepares the pdf but don't know what to add.

I'm running TeXShop version 2.46 (part of MacTeX2011) on OS 10.8.4 using the TeX and DVI engine, since there a lot of old eps files. TeXShop first uses dvips to prepare the .ps file which it then distills using pstopdf to get the pdf. The information currently in my Preferences panel for TeX + dvips + distiller is

simpdftex latex --maxpfb --extratexopts "-file-line-error -synctex=1" --distiller ps2pdf

I want to change this so that the .ps file is prepared using my printer, call it Printer A, and then distills it using Adobe Distiller with a specific set of job options, say myoptions.joboptions. Printer A is a ppd file that commercial printers use for high-end printing. It's installed as one of the printers on my system. Does anyone know how to change the TeX + dvips + distiller line to make this happen? Thanks.
--
Dennis

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Changing dvips-distiller configuration

Herbert Schulz

On Sep 16, 2013, at 8:57 AM, Dennis Kletzing <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I want to add some information to the TeX + dvips + distiller entry in the TeXShop Preferences panel to changed how it prepares the pdf but don't know what to add.
>
> I'm running TeXShop version 2.46 (part of MacTeX2011) on OS 10.8.4 using the TeX and DVI engine, since there a lot of old eps files. TeXShop first uses dvips to prepare the .ps file which it then distills using pstopdf to get the pdf. The information currently in my Preferences panel for TeX + dvips + distiller is
>
> simpdftex latex --maxpfb --extratexopts "-file-line-error -synctex=1" --distiller ps2pdf
>
> I want to change this so that the .ps file is prepared using my printer, call it Printer A, and then distills it using Adobe Distiller with a specific set of job options, say myoptions.joboptions. Printer A is a ppd file that commercial printers use for high-end printing. It's installed as one of the printers on my system. Does anyone know how to change the TeX + dvips + distiller line to make this happen? Thanks.
> --
> Dennis

Howdy,

I assume you want to start with a .ps file created by dvips and then filter it through `Printer A' (I'm not sure what you mean by ``prepared'') and then run Adobe Distiller.

First, please clarify what you mean by `prepared using my printer'. Second, is there a way to run Adobe Distiller from the command line (outside of using the `open' command)?

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Changing dvips-distiller configuration

Dennis Kletzing
Herb:

I'm trying to change the way the .ps file is created. In the old days using Textures, the output window was a dvi file. I could print this window using my Printer A to create a .ps file, which I then passed through Adobe Distiller with appropriate job options to get the final pdf. But with TeXShop I don't know how to change the way the .ps file is created.

--
Dennis

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Sep 16, 2013, at 9:17 AM, Dennis Kletzing <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Herb:
>
> I'm trying to change the way the .ps file is created. In the old days using Textures, the output window was a dvi file. I could print this window using my Printer A to create a .ps file, which I then passed through Adobe Distiller with appropriate job options to get the final pdf. But with TeXShop I don't know how to change the way the .ps file is created.
>
> --
> Dennis

Howdy,

I don't think simpdftex can do anything but dvips->distiller or dvipdfm(x). I can try to create a latexmk engine that could do what you wish but I need detailed information about how `Printer A' is applied to the dvi file and how Adobe Distiller should be called from the command line too.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Changing dvips-distiller configuration

Dennis Kletzing
Herb:

I'm not sure how Printer A is applied to the dvi file. When the dvi window in Textures is active, choose Print, select Printer A, select Print to PS, then print. The .ps file I got was spot on. I've looked through these .ps files and they come out correctly. I just thought that somehow TeXShop is creating a .ps file and that it might be possible to use another printer instead of what it usually does to create the.ps file. As for Adobe Distiller I don't know anything about calling it from the command line.
--
Dennis

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Am 16.09.2013 um 16:17 schrieb Dennis Kletzing:

> I'm trying to change the way the .ps file is created. In the old days using Textures, the output window was a dvi file. I could print this window using my Printer A to create a .ps file, which I then passed through Adobe Distiller with appropriate job options to get the final pdf.

If you want to create DVI output you just need to use "latex" (or "tex") instead of "pdflatex" (or "pdftex"). But there aren't so many use cases for DVI – we're now in the third millennium of the so-called christian calculation of times. The PDF created by "pdflatex" (or "pdftex") directly today is quite excellent. It has options to include or exclude fonts etc.

In the old days you could use /System/Library/Printers/Libraries/convert to convert a PS file to PDF using the printer's PPD file, the way Mac OS X did print by pressing ⌘P. This old programme is now /usr/sbin/cupsfilter.

Can you describe why you need the complicated way of TeX -> DVI -> PS -> PDF -> PDF?

A census taker is a man who goes from house to house increasing the population.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Sep 16, 2013, at 9:38 AM, Dennis Kletzing <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Herb:
>
> I'm not sure how Printer A is applied to the dvi file. When the dvi window in Textures is active, choose Print, select Printer A, select Print to PS, then print. The .ps file I got was spot on. I've looked through these .ps files and they come out correctly. I just thought that somehow TeXShop is creating a .ps file and that it might be possible to use another printer instead of what it usually does to create the.ps file. As for Adobe Distiller I don't know anything about calling it from the command line.
> --
> Dennis

Howdy,

By default simpdftex removes the .ps file after ps2pdf creates the .pdf from it. It's beginning to sound like all you want is the .ps file. To do that check the `Save Postscript File' box in TeXShop->Preferences->Engine->TeX + dvips + distiller. It may be possible to use the Adobe Distiller instead of ps2pdf IF you know exactly how you want it invoked from the command line.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Changing dvips-distiller configuration

Richard Koch
Dennis,

You can open

        simpdftex

in, for instance, TeXShop. At the top of the script, there are a large number of comments
giving its various flags. Note that simpdftex is part of TeX Live, not part of TeXShop.

If this doesn’t give you enough control, (but it probably will) then write your own
engine script. Go to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive for a large number of examples.
Essentially a shell script can be written to do anything you like. If the end result is a pdf,
then that pdf will be displayed after typesetting.

Dick Koch

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Changing dvips-distiller configuration

Dennis Kletzing
Pete:

Thanks. I wish I could just use pdflatex also, but I'm doing work for a commercial printer who wants final files at 2400dpi prepared using Prinergy Refiner, a virtual printer for high-end printing that they use in their imposition software. As I mentioned, everything worked fine when I was using Textures but with TeXShop I don't know how to do it properly.
--
Dennis

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Changing dvips-distiller configuration

Dennis Kletzing
Herb:

Yes, I have that box checked off and have the .ps file. I can manually run it through Adobe Distiller. But my thought was that if I distill a .ps file that prepared at 600dpi through distiller set at 2400dpi, it won't do much since the original .ps file doesn't have the information that it needs, at least for the graphics files that are part of it, to get true 2400dpi output on the pdf. I looked through the .ps file produced by TeXShop and it says clearly that it was produced at 600dpi.
--
Dennis

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Sep 16, 2013, at 9:49 AM, Dennis Kletzing <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pete:
>
> Thanks. I wish I could just use pdflatex also, but I'm doing work for a commercial printer who wants final files at 2400dpi prepared using Prinergy Refiner, a virtual printer for high-end printing that they use in their imposition software. As I mentioned, everything worked fine when I was using Textures but with TeXShop I don't know how to do it properly.
> --
> Dennis

Howdy,

Have you asked your printer if the pdf files supplied by (pdf)latex satisfies their needs? The pdf files use type 1 fonts which are completely scalable to any 2400dpi. If your included eps figures are bit maps then the problem will be with your figures rather than the pdf produced by (pdf)latex.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Sep 16, 2013, at 9:53 AM, Dennis Kletzing <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Herb:
>
> Yes, I have that box checked off and have the .ps file. I can manually run it through Adobe Distiller. But my thought was that if I distill a .ps file that prepared at 600dpi through distiller set at 2400dpi, it won't do much since the original .ps file doesn't have the information that it needs, at least for the graphics files that are part of it, to get true 2400dpi output on the pdf. I looked through the .ps file produced by TeXShop and it says clearly that it was produced at 600dpi.
> --
> Dennis

Howdy,

What do you mean by ``a .ps file that prepared at 600dpi''? It isn't prepared at any particular dpi if you are using type 1 fonts!

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Changing dvips-distiller configuration

Gary L. Gray-3
On Sep 16, 2013, at 10:59 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What do you mean by ``a .ps file that prepared at 600dpi''? It isn't prepared at any particular dpi if you are using type 1 fonts!

I would hope that it would not affect vector graphics and fonts, but maybe higher res rasterized figures are downscaled?

Gary

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Changing dvips-distiller configuration

On Sep 16, 2013, at 9:53 AM, Dennis Kletzing <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Herb:
>
> Yes, I have that box checked off and have the .ps file. I can manually run it through Adobe Distiller. But my thought was that if I distill a .ps file that prepared at 600dpi through distiller set at 2400dpi, it won't do much since the original .ps file doesn't have the information that it needs, at least for the graphics files that are part of it, to get true 2400dpi output on the pdf. I looked through the .ps file produced by TeXShop and it says clearly that it was produced at 600dpi.
> --
> Dennis

Howdy,

Try adding the

--dvipsopts "-D 2400"

to the simpdftex command line in TeXShop->Preferences->Engine->TeX + dvips + distiller command for Latex.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Changing dvips-distiller configuration

Dennis Kletzing
Herb:

Here's the line in the .ps file I was referring to:

%DVIPSParameters: dpi=600
--
Dennis

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Changing dvips-distiller configuration

Dennis Kletzing
Herb:

Thank you! That works! I think this will make the folks happy.
--
Dennis

On Sep 16, 2013, at 11:07 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

--dvipsopts "-D 2400"

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Sep 16, 2013, at 10:08 AM, Dennis Kletzing <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Herb:
>
> Here's the line in the .ps file I was referring to:
>
> %DVIPSParameters: dpi=600
> --
> Dennis

Howdy,

Then adding the option

--dvipsopts "-D 2400"

to the end of the simpdftex line as noted above should do the job.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/