Changing hIghlighting color in TexShop 2.47

12

Changing hIghlighting color in TexShop 2.47

Schremmer Alain
Yes, TexShop 2.47 is an antique but so am I and my vision is failing.

When I apple click on something in the pdf, TexShop very obligingly highlight the corresponding code in the source. (Sometimes in grey, sometimes in yellow.) My problem is that when the pdf window is large, I can't see the highlighting. For that I have to shrink the window.

I would like to change both colors to something more vivid that I would see well enough without having to shrink the window.

I haven't been able to find where I could do that.

I looked around but I don't think even Schulz's TeXShop Tips & Tricks (v0.2.3–2011/01/07) mentions it.

I would very much appreciate any help.

--schremmer
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Changing hIghlighting color in TexShop 2.47

Herbert Schulz
> On Nov 21, 2018, at 10:42 AM, Schremmer Alain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, TexShop 2.47 is an antique but so am I and my vision is failing.
>
> When I apple click on something in the pdf, TexShop very obligingly highlight the corresponding code in the source. (Sometimes in grey, sometimes in yellow.) My problem is that when the pdf window is large, I can't see the highlighting. For that I have to shrink the window.

Howdy,

I believe the ``color'' of the highlight depends upon whether the window is active or not; grey when inactive turning to yellow when active.

> I would like to change both colors to something more vivid that I would see well enough without having to shrink the window.
>
> I haven't been able to find where I could do that.
>
> I looked around but I don't think even Schulz's TeXShop Tips & Tricks (v0.2.3–2011/01/07) mentions it.
>
> I would very much appreciate any help.
>
> --schremmer

I think those colors are fixed. Recent versions of TeXShop have allowed you to adjust colors of virtually everything in the Themes tab of TeXShop->Preferences. You might try to use 4.17 if your OS version is new enough (10.10/Yosemite or later).

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

On , at 2018 Nov 21,1:28 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

>> On Nov 21, 2018, at 10:42 AM, Schremmer Alain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, TexShop 2.47 is an antique but so am I and my vision is failing.
>>
>> When I apple click on something in the pdf, TexShop very obligingly highlight the corresponding code in the source. (Sometimes in grey, sometimes in yellow.) My problem is that when the pdf window is large, I can't see the highlighting. For that I have to shrink the window.
>>

> Howdy,
>
> I believe the ``color'' of the highlight depends upon whether the window is active or not; grey when inactive turning to yellow when active.

So I learned something today.

>> I would like to change both colors to something more vivid that I would see well enough without having to shrink the window.
>>
>> I haven't been able to find where I could do that.
>>
>> I looked around but I don't think even Schulz's TeXShop Tips & Tricks (v0.2.3–2011/01/07) mentions it.
>>
>> I would very much appreciate any help.
>>
>> --schremmer
>
> I think those colors are fixed.

I had this feeling.

> Recent versions of TeXShop have allowed you to adjust colors of virtually everything in the Themes tab of TeXShop->Preferences. You might try to use 4.17 if your OS version is new enough (10.10/Yosemite or later).

Unfortunately, my OS (10.6.8) is as old as my TeXshop: they are made for each other and for me. (And, as I said, I have a workaround.)

Best,
--schremmer
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Changing hIghlighting color in TexShop 2.47

Herbert Schulz
> On Nov 21, 2018, at 2:04 PM, Schremmer Alain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Recent versions of TeXShop have allowed you to adjust colors of virtually everything in the Themes tab of TeXShop->Preferences. You might try to use 4.17 if your OS version is new enough (10.10/Yosemite or later).
>
> Unfortunately, my OS (10.6.8) is as old as my TeXshop: they are made for each other and for me. (And, as I said, I have a workaround.)
>
> Best,
> --schremmer

Howdy,

I know you lagged behind a bit. :-) That's why I added the macOS precaution.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

On , at 2018 Nov 21,3:08 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> I know you lagged behind a bit. :-)

Well, yes, and a bit more than a bit, and not just with the OS!  (Turning 82 tomorrow.)  :-))

Best
--schremmer

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Changing hIghlighting color in TexShop 2.47

Schremmer Alain

On , at 2018 Nov 21,1:28 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> I think those colors are fixed.

On the other hand, it just occurred to me: if I knew where the source of TeXshop is, couldn't I just politely ask Text Wrangler to find "yellow" and replace it by say, "red"? Or would I thereby break something? (I have an extra copy anyway.)

Best
--schremmer

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Changing hIghlighting color in TexShop 2.47

> On Nov 21, 2018, at 2:27 PM, Schremmer Alain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On , at 2018 Nov 21,3:08 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> I know you lagged behind a bit. :-)
>
> Well, yes, and a bit more than a bit, and not just with the OS!  (Turning 82 tomorrow.)  :-))
>
> Best
> --schremmer

Howdy,

I'm not that far behind you!

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

On , at 2018 Nov 21,4:16 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

>> On Nov 21, 2018, at 2:27 PM, Schremmer Alain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On , at 2018 Nov 21,3:08 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>>
>>> I know you lagged behind a bit. :-)
>>
>> Well, yes, and a bit more than a bit, and not just with the OS!  (Turning 82 tomorrow.)  :-))
>>
>> Best
>> --schremmer
>
> Howdy,
>
> I'm not that far behind you!

Then you can understand me.

Somehow, my posts got up in the wrong order. How about using TextWrangler to change the color?

--s

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Changing hIghlighting color in TexShop 2.47

Herbert Schulz
> On Nov 21, 2018, at 3:37 PM, Schremmer Alain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On , at 2018 Nov 21,4:16 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

>>> Well, yes, and a bit more than a bit, and not just with the OS!  (Turning 82 tomorrow.)  :-))
>>>
>>> Best
>>> --schremmer
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I'm not that far behind you!
>
> Then you can understand me.
>
> Somehow, my posts got up in the wrong order. How about using TextWrangler to change the color?
>
> --s
>

>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

I'm not sure but I'd guess it's not that easy. Also, The TeXShop project consists of many files rather than a monolithic file.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

On , at 2018 Nov 21,5:22 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> I'm not sure but I'd guess it's not that easy. Also, The TeXShop project consists of many files rather than a monolithic file.

TextWrangler can cope with that. And I will keep a safe copy.

So, where can I find where the files are? (I would rather do it before my vision gets worse.)

--s
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Changing hIghlighting color in TexShop 2.47

Herbert Schulz
> On Nov 21, 2018, at 4:29 PM, Schremmer Alain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On , at 2018 Nov 21,5:22 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure but I'd guess it's not that easy. Also, The TeXShop project consists of many files rather than a monolithic file.
>
> TextWrangler can cope with that. And I will keep a safe copy.
>
> So, where can I find where the files are? (I would rather do it before my vision gets worse.)
>
> --s

Howdy,

Go to the obtaining tab of <https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/texshop.html> and there is a link for the last version 2 of TeXShop.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Changing hIghlighting color in TexShop 2.47

Claus Gerhardt-4
Dear Alain,

The color for highlighting can probably be changed by a hidden preference. On the page

I found the following commands

Three hidden preferences were added, allowing users to change the yellow highlight color to another color, when used by inverse sync from the pdf window to the source text. This is helpful if the user has changed the default colors of the source window. The new items are
defaults write TeXShop ReverseSyncRed 1.00
defaults write TeXShop ReverseSyncGreen 1.00
defaults write TeXShop ReverseSyncBlue 0.00

Hidden preference items were added to change all of the colors used in the new 2.38 additions by Yusude Terada: the temporary parenthesis color (default is magenta), the highlight color for text between matching parentheses (default is yellow), and the color of invisible characters when shown (default is orange).
defaults write TeXShop highlightBracesRed 1.00
defaults write TeXShop highlightBracesGreen 0.00
defaults write TeXShop highlightBracesBlue 1.00
defaults write TeXShop highlightContentRed 1.00
defaults write TeXShop highlightContentGreen 1.00
defaults write TeXShop highlightContentBlue 0.00
defaults write TeXShop invisibleCharRed 1.00
defaults write TeXShop invisibleCharGreen 0.50
defaults write TeXShop invisibleCharBlue 0.00

ReverseSync is from pdf to source. Thus, if this is what you want then can certainly change the color easily.

Claus

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Changing hIghlighting color in TexShop 2.47

Claus Gerhardt-4
Alain,

I just found that you can change the colors in TeXShop's preferences pane "Theme" - at least in version 4.xx, but probably also in former versions.

Claus

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

On , at 2018 Nov 21,6:14 PM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:

On the page

I found the following commands

Three hidden preferences were added, allowing users to change the yellow highlight color to another color, when used by inverse sync from the pdf window to the source text. This is helpful if the user has changed the default colors of the source window. The new items are
defaults write TeXShop ReverseSyncRed 1.00
defaults write TeXShop ReverseSyncGreen 1.00
defaults write TeXShop ReverseSyncBlue 0.00

ReverseSyncRed is of course exactly what I would like but this was done in TeXShop 3.49 and I am still running 2.47. I just downloaded v3.59 from Koch's site, just in case, but it doesn't say if it would work under 10.6.8 and I don't know where to find out.  (But I doubt it.)

In any case, I am very glad to find out that you are still out there kicking and I am still most grateful for all the help you have given me back then.

Very best
--a

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Changing hIghlighting color in TexShop 2.47

Claus Gerhardt-4
Alain,

just type

defaults write TeXShop ReverseSyncRed 1.00

in Terminal and hit return. Then restart TeXShop and you will find out.

Claus

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Changing hIghlighting color in TexShop 2.47

Schremmer Alain

On , at 2018 Nov 21,7:41 PM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:

just type

defaults write TeXShop ReverseSyncRed 1.00

in Terminal and hit return. Then restart TeXShop and you will find out.

Claus

What do I do if what I find out is that "my" TeXShop didn't like it and went on strike?

--s

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Changing hIghlighting color in TexShop 2.47

> On Nov 21, 2018, at 5:04 PM, Claus Gerhardt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear Alain,
>
> The color for highlighting can probably be changed by a hidden preference. On the page
>
> https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/version.html
>
> I found the following commands
>
> Three hidden preferences were added, allowing users to change the yellow highlight color to another color, when used by inverse sync from the pdf window to the source text. This is helpful if the user has changed the default colors of the source window. The new items are
> defaults write TeXShop ReverseSyncRed 1.00
> defaults write TeXShop ReverseSyncGreen 1.00
> defaults write TeXShop ReverseSyncBlue 0.00
>

> Hidden preference items were added to change all of the colors used in the new 2.38 additions by Yusude Terada: the temporary parenthesis color (default is magenta), the highlight color for text between matching parentheses (default is yellow), and the color of invisible characters when shown (default is orange).
> defaults write TeXShop highlightBracesRed 1.00
> defaults write TeXShop highlightBracesGreen 0.00
> defaults write TeXShop highlightBracesBlue 1.00
> defaults write TeXShop highlightContentRed 1.00
> defaults write TeXShop highlightContentGreen 1.00
> defaults write TeXShop highlightContentBlue 0.00
> defaults write TeXShop invisibleCharRed 1.00
> defaults write TeXShop invisibleCharGreen 0.50
> defaults write TeXShop invisibleCharBlue 0.00
>
> ReverseSync is from pdf to source. Thus, if this is what you want then can certainly change the color easily.
>
> Claus
>
> On 21. Nov 2018, at 17:42, Schremmer Alain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, TexShop 2.47 is an antique but so am I and my vision is failing.
>
> When I apple click on something in the pdf, TexShop very obligingly highlight the corresponding code in the source. (Sometimes in grey, sometimes in yellow.) My problem is that when the pdf window is large, I can't see the highlighting. For that I have to shrink the window.
>
> I would like to change both colors to something more vivid that I would see well enough without having to shrink the window.
>
> I haven't been able to find where I could do that.
>
> I looked around but I don't think even Schulz's TeXShop Tips & Tricks (v0.2.3–2011/01/07) mentions it.
>
> I would very much appreciate any help.
>
> --schremmer

Howdy,

I guess I never investigated this!

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Changing hIghlighting color in TexShop 2.47

Schremmer Alain
I am afraid this will have been the straw that broke the camel's back: I am going to get a new old mac mini. I don't relish the idea though because of all the time I am going to have to waste checking what's compatible, what's not, etc. Decisions, decisions.

Grateful for the straw, though.

Best
--schremmer

On , at 2018 Nov 22,7:06 AM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:

Alain,

From what I have learnt so far your version 2.xx will simply ignore the command while version 3.49 will recognize it. Another question is what if you don't like red? Since you can mix the three colors red, blue green by changing their respective values from 0.00 to 1.00 you can create any color you want, e.g. entering both the offered commands for red and green will result in yellow.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Changing hIghlighting color in TexShop 2.47

Claus Gerhardt-4
Alain,

That's a very wise decision. I had been tempted to suggest it myself.

Claus

On 22. Nov 2018, at 17:21, Schremmer Alain <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am afraid this will have been the straw that broke the camel's back: I am going to get a new old mac mini. I don't relish the idea though because of all the time I am going to have to waste checking what's compatible, what's not, etc. Decisions, decisions.

Grateful for the straw, though.

Best
--schremmer

On , at 2018 Nov 22,7:06 AM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:

Alain,

From what I have learnt so far your version 2.xx will simply ignore the command while version 3.49 will recognize it. Another question is what if you don't like red? Since you can mix the three colors red, blue green by changing their respective values from 0.00 to 1.00 you can create any color you want, e.g. entering both the offered commands for red and green will result in yellow.

Claus

On 22. Nov 2018, at 02:55, Schremmer Alain <[hidden email]> wrote:

On , at 2018 Nov 21,7:41 PM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:

just type

defaults write TeXShop ReverseSyncRed 1.00

in Terminal and hit return. Then restart TeXShop and you will find out.

Claus

What do I do if what I find out is that "my" TeXShop didn't like it and went on strike?

--s

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/