Chapterwise bibliography

Baianja

Dear all,

happy New Year and thanks to all the useful discussion in the previous one!

I am encountering a last minute problem for my book with Springer using the svmono.cls class for books. They want a chapterwise bibliography. So I included the chapterbib-package.

As I understood, I have to:

  • run XeLaTeX for the main file
  • run bibtex on each of the chapters
  • run twice XeLaTeX for the main file

I do so using TeXShop Version 3.92 on OS X 10.10.5.

The problem is that I get the correct bibliographies per chapter, but within the chapter the citations remain undefined. What did I forget?

Attached is a minimal example, the style files used and the pdf-result.

Many thanks in advance,

Andrea Bréard
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andrea_Breard

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Biblio.bib (1K) Download Attachment
book9 test.tex (1K) Download Attachment
book9 test.pdf (52K) Download Attachment
Chapter2test.tex (260 bytes) Download Attachment
Chapter1test.tex (226 bytes) Download Attachment
chicago-ff.bst (50K) Download Attachment
svmono.cls (93K) Download Attachment

Re: Chapterwise bibliography

Themis Matsoukas-6
Andrea,

The problem is in \bibiographystyle. To get your example to run, I changed \bibliographystyle{chicago-ff} to \bibliographystyle{abbrvnat} (I also deactivated the xelatex commands because I had trouble running with the Chinese fonts in your example).

The issue is explained in the documentation for chapterbib (see page 2 under 4 Package compatability). There you can also find a fix, although the fix seems a bit complicated to me.

Themis

> On Jan 3, 2018, at 8:47 AM, Bréard, Andrea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> happy New Year and thanks to all the useful discussion in the previous one!
>
> I am encountering a last minute problem for my book with Springer using the svmono.cls class for books. They want a chapterwise bibliography. So I included the chapterbib-package.
>
> As I understood, I have to:
> • run XeLaTeX for the main file
> • run bibtex on each of the chapters
> • run twice XeLaTeX for the main file
> I do so using TeXShop Version 3.92 on OS X 10.10.5.
>
> The problem is that I get the correct bibliographies per chapter, but within the chapter the citations remain undefined. What did I forget?
>
> Attached is a minimal example, the style files used and the pdf-result.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Andrea Bréard
> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andrea_Breard
> <Biblio.bib><book9 test.tex><book9 test.pdf><Chapter2test.tex><Chapter1test.tex><chicago-ff.bst><svmono.cls>----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Biblio.bib (1K) Download Attachment
book9 test.pdf (233K) Download Attachment
book9 test.tex (640 bytes) Download Attachment
Chapter1test.tex (170 bytes) Download Attachment
Chapter2test.tex (195 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Chapterwise bibliography

Baianja
Dear Themis,

many thanks for your kind help in solving the issue with the chapterwise bibliography.

Since I am bound to Chicago style by the publisher, I have followed the steps as you indicated and which are detailed in chapterbib documentation.

I attach here the modified chicago.sty style file in case it is of help for someone else. It works fine for me. The only issue that remained in my larger book, was with cross-references within bibliography items. An extra round of bibtex compilation of each chapter solved that problem, too.

Many thanks again,
Andrea

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

chicago.sty (14K) Download Attachment

Re: Chapterwise bibliography

Themis Matsoukas-6
Andrea,

It is good to know that the modification of the style file to work with chapterbib is not as bad as I thought :)

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://www.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/