Configuring TeXShop to use XeLaTeX instead of pdfLaTeX

Configuring TeXShop to use XeLaTeX instead of pdfLaTeX

Murray Eisenberg
I think I need to switch from pdfLaTeX to XeLaTeX, to avoid various patches required, e.g., between babel and some other packages (including cleveref).

For the TeXShop pdflatexmk engine, in my document source directory I use the following platexmkrc:

        $makeindex = "makeindex -s %R.ist %O -o %D %S”;

and the following latexmkrc:

        # latexmkrc
        # Custom dependency and function for nomencl package
        add_cus_dep('nlo', 'nls', 0, 'makenlo2nls');
                 sub makenlo2nls {
                         system("makeindex -s nomencl.ist -o '$_[0]'.nls '$_[0]'.nlo");
                 }

Do these need to be modified in any way, or do I need some kind of alternative files, so as to allow using the xelatexmk engine?

—-
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Configuring TeXShop to use XeLaTeX instead of pdfLaTeX

Herbert Schulz
> On Jul 4, 2020, at 12:15 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think I need to switch from pdfLaTeX to XeLaTeX, to avoid various patches required, e.g., between babel and some other packages (including cleveref).
>
> For the TeXShop pdflatexmk engine, in my document source directory I use the following platexmkrc:
>
> $makeindex = "makeindex -s %R.ist %O -o %D %S”;
>
> and the following latexmkrc:
>
> # latexmkrc
> # Custom dependency and function for nomencl package
> add_cus_dep('nlo', 'nls', 0, 'makenlo2nls');
> sub makenlo2nls {
> system("makeindex -s nomencl.ist -o '$_[0]'.nls '$_[0]'.nlo");
> }
>
> Do these need to be modified in any way, or do I need some kind of alternative files, so as to allow using the xelatexmk engine?
>
> —-
> Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
> 503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
> Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

Howdy,

Look in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk (you can open ~/Library/TeXShop using the TeXShop->Open ~/Library/TeXShop Menu Command). There you'll find a xelatexmk.engine file (along with latexmk.engine for using latex->dvips->ps2pdf and lualatexmk,engine for using lualatex). Just copy that engine (or those engines) up two levels to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines and re-start TeXShop. Then you can use xelatexmk in the TeXShop directive

% !TEX program = xelatexmk

(or

% !TEX TS-program = xelatexmk

to get latexmk to use xelatex.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Configuring TeXShop to use XeLaTeX instead of pdfLaTeX

> On Jul 4, 2020, at 12:15 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think I need to switch from pdfLaTeX to XeLaTeX, to avoid various patches required, e.g., between babel and some other packages (including cleveref).
>
> For the TeXShop pdflatexmk engine, in my document source directory I use the following platexmkrc:
>
> $makeindex = "makeindex -s %R.ist %O -o %D %S”;
>
> and the following latexmkrc:
>
> # latexmkrc
> # Custom dependency and function for nomencl package
> add_cus_dep('nlo', 'nls', 0, 'makenlo2nls');
> sub makenlo2nls {
> system("makeindex -s nomencl.ist -o '$_[0]'.nls '$_[0]'.nlo");
> }
>
> Do these need to be modified in any way, or do I need some kind of alternative files, so as to allow using the xelatexmk engine?
>
> —-
> Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
> 503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
> Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

Howdy,

Sorry, I didn't give you an answer to your direct question. The platexmkrc contents need not change in any way. The only difference in these engines is which typesetting processor (pdf/xe/lua)latex is used.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Configuring TeXShop to use XeLaTeX instead of pdfLaTeX

Murray Eisenberg

> On 4 Jul2020, at 1:23 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 4, 2020, at 12:15 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I think I need to switch from pdfLaTeX to XeLaTeX, to avoid various patches required, e.g., between babel and some other packages (including cleveref).
>>
>> For the TeXShop pdflatexmk engine, in my document source directory I use the following platexmkrc:
>>
>> $makeindex = "makeindex -s %R.ist %O -o %D %S”;
>>
>> and the following latexmkrc:
>>
>> # latexmkrc
>> # Custom dependency and function for nomencl package
>> add_cus_dep('nlo', 'nls', 0, 'makenlo2nls');
>> sub makenlo2nls {
>> system("makeindex -s nomencl.ist -o '$_[0]'.nls '$_[0]'.nlo");
>> }
>>
>> Do these need to be modified in any way, or do I need some kind of alternative files, so as to allow using the xelatexmk engine?
>>

> Look in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk (you can open ~/Library/TeXShop using the TeXShop->Open ~/Library/TeXShop Menu Command). There you'll find a xelatexmk.engine file (along with latexmk.engine for using latex->dvips->ps2pdf and lualatexmk,engine for using lualatex). Just copy that engine (or those engines) up two levels to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines and re-start TeXShop. Then you can use xelatexmk in the TeXShop directive
>
> % !TEX program = xelatexmk
>
> (or
>
> % !TEX TS-program = xelatexmk
>
> to get latexmk to use xelatex.

Yes, I understand about the engine, but that wasn’t my concern. It was whether the same platexmkrc and latexmkrc will work as is, or whether they need to be modified or whether similar files with different names are needed.

---

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

On 4 Jul2020, at 1:32 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I didn’t see your additional answer, saying that the same platexmkrc will work with XeLaTeX.

What about my latexmkrc?  Still the same?

---

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Configuring TeXShop to use XeLaTeX instead of pdfLaTeX

Herbert Schulz
> On Jul 4, 2020, at 12:34 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Look in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk (you can open ~/Library/TeXShop using the TeXShop->Open ~/Library/TeXShop Menu Command). There you'll find a xelatexmk.engine file (along with latexmk.engine for using latex->dvips->ps2pdf and lualatexmk,engine for using lualatex). Just copy that engine (or those engines) up two levels to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines and re-start TeXShop. Then you can use xelatexmk in the TeXShop directive
>>>
>>> % !TEX program = xelatexmk
>>>
>>> (or
>>>
>>> % !TEX TS-program = xelatexmk
>>>
>>> to get latexmk to use xelatex.
>>>

>> Yes, I understand about the engine, but that wasn’t my concern. It was whether the same platexmkrc and latexmkrc will work as is, or whether they need to be modified or whether similar files with different names are needed.
>>

> Sorry, I didn’t see your additional answer, saying that the same platexmkrc will work with XeLaTeX.
>
> What about my latexmkrc?  Still the same?
>
> ---
> Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
> 503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
> Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

Howdy,

The only difference between the engines is the typesetting program that is used so everything else, as long as it is compatible with that typesetting program, should be the ok.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Configuring TeXShop to use XeLaTeX instead of pdfLaTeX

Murray Eisenberg

> On 4 Jul2020, at 2:23 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Yes, I understand about the engine, but that wasn’t my concern. It was whether the same platexmkrc and latexmkrc will work as is, or whether they need to be modified or whether similar files with different names are needed.
>>>

>> Sorry, I didn’t see your additional answer, saying that the same platexmkrc will work with XeLaTeX.
>>
>> What about my latexmkrc?  Still the same?
>>

> The only difference between the engines is the typesetting program that is used so everything else, as long as it is compatible with that typesetting program, should be the ok.
>
> Herb Schulz

OK, thank you for clarifying this.

Happy fourth…and may we all soon go forth!

---

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Configuring TeXShop to use XeLaTeX instead of pdfLaTeX

Murray Eisenberg
What exactly is the difference between

% !TEX program = xelatexmk

and

% !TEX TS-program = xelatexmk

(and similarly for other engines)?

In the TeXShop Help > Comment Lines and Hidden Preferences I see reference only to the first of those.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Configuring TeXShop to use XeLaTeX instead of pdfLaTeX

Herbert Schulz
> On Jul 7, 2020, at 4:23 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What exactly is the difference between
>
> % !TEX program = xelatexmk
>
> and
>
> % !TEX TS-program = xelatexmk
>
> (and similarly for other engines)?
>
> In the TeXShop Help > Comment Lines and Hidden Preferences I see reference only to the first of those.

Howdy,

When TeXShop added these directives it used

% !TEX TS-program = xelatexmk

where TS=TeXShop. However other programs, e.g., TeXworks, used

% !TEX program = xelatexmk

since they weren't TeXShop. Then the second form was added to TeXShop so files could be edited and typeset in those programs without change. PS: TeXworks also accepts the TS- version since it was meant to be simple, like TeXShop, but cross-platform; e.g., Command Completion in TeXworks is based on the initial version in TeXShop. PS: There are so many missing features in the macOS version of TeXworks that I can't possibly recommend it; e.g., you can't Print!

Finally, I always use the non-TS- version.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/