DEVONthink Pro Office and TeX files

RA Friedrich Vosberg-4
Morning.

I'm using DEVONthink Pro Office (DTPO) and TeXShop. But there is a problem with TeX files displayed in DTPO. German umlauts (ä, ö, ü) are hidden in TeX files. A word like »Büro« is shown as »Bro«. But there is anything invisible between the B and the r, because when I switch the position of the insertion point with the arrow keys, I must enter the arrow key twice to step from the position after the B to the position after the r. Another display failure occurs with the German sharp S (ß). DTPO replaces the sharp S by the section symbol (§).

How can I avoid these »replacements«?

Kind regards, Friedrich
--
Für sichere E-Mails an mich verwenden Sie bitte S/MIME oder nutzen meinen öffentlichen PGP-Schlüssel:

Friedrich Vosberg, Rechtsanwalt (German Lawyer)
D-04275 Leipzig, August-Bebel-Straße 59, Germany
Ruf: (+49) 0341 234600 20   Fax: (+49) 0341 234600 22

Der Inhalt dieses E-Mails einschließlich ggf. beigefügter Dateien ist vertraulich und nur für den Empfänger bestimmt. Sollten Sie nicht der bestimmungsgemäße Empfänger sein, ist jegliche Offenlegung, Vervielfältigung, Weitergabe oder Nutzung des Inhalts nicht zulässig. Bitte informieren Sie mich in diesem Fall unverzüglich und löschen Sie das E-Mail einschließlich ggf. beigefügter Dateien in Ihrem System. Vielen Dank für Ihre freundliche Unterstützung, und bitte entschuldigen Sie jegliche Unannehmlichkeiten.

The contents of this e-mail including any attachments are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of its contents is prohibited. Please notify me immediately and delete this email including any attachments from your system. Thank you for your kind co-operation, and please accept my apologies for any inconvenience.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

smime.p7s (2K) Download Attachment

Re: DEVONthink Pro Office and TeX files

Herbert Schulz

On Oct 23, 2013, at 7:22 AM, RA Friedrich Vosberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Morning.
>
> I'm using DEVONthink Pro Office (DTPO) and TeXShop. But there is a problem with TeX files displayed in DTPO. German umlauts (ä, ö, ü) are hidden in TeX files. A word like »Büro« is shown as »Bro«. But there is anything invisible between the B and the r, because when I switch the position of the insertion point with the arrow keys, I must enter the arrow key twice to step from the position after the B to the position after the r. Another display failure occurs with the German sharp S (ß). DTPO replaces the sharp S by the section symbol (§).
>
> How can I avoid these »replacements«?
>
> Kind regards, Friedrich

Howdy,

What input encoding are you using in your file? Plain ASCII doesn't have the accented characters as part of the font. I don't know anything about DTPO but I suspect you'll have to change the encoding it uses to read the file and, possibly the display font.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Am 23.10.2013 um 14:22 schrieb RA Friedrich Vosberg:

> How can I avoid these »replacements«?

You don't see "replacements". What you see are different *presentations*.

Maybe it's worth to look up "text encoding" in Wikipedia. (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode)

The saved "image" of a text file on disk or some other medium is a series of bytes or octets. Even a space character is not a gap in that series but usually a bit octet representing the numerical value of 32. It's now the task of of an encoding to display ("represent") that numerical value with some symbol humans might understand. All you need to do is to adjust or synchronise input (and font) encodings in the LaTeX file with that of the LaTeX file editor (TeXShop) and that of that DTPO app.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

Let's face it; we don't want a free market economy either.
                – James Farley, president, Coca-Cola Export Corp., 1959

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/