Delays in viewing beamer slides

Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
I am not sure that this is a TeXShop issue, but wonder if anyone has a suggestion for a workaround.

I am trying to prepare some slides for a talk, and went back to a set I prepared about a year ago for a similar talk via beamer.
When I view this using Preview, I find that every time a slide changes, there is a delay of maybe a second,
during which the display becomes fuzzy before coming into focus.  This is of course highly distracting, and is not a behavior I recall
(nor one I would have imposed on my audience) from a year ago.  I am not sure how to provide a “minimal example”, but wonder
if anyone can suggest where to look for the source of this behavior, and even without that, how to avoid the behavior itself.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

telephones:
Office    (617)627-3843
Dept.    (617)627-3234
Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Delays in viewing beamer slides

Richard Koch-2
Zbigniew,

This is a bug I reported to Apple over a year ago. After a delay, I received a note from them that my report was a "duplicate bug report." This cut me off from further reports about the bug, because to preserve developer privacy Apple sends information about bugs only to the initial reporter and not to those duplicating the report.

All I can suggest is that TeX users write Apple directly. There is no official channel for doing this unless you are a developer. If you are at a university, it might be useful to contact your computer support people and ask them to pursue the matter with Apple.

To be fair, Apple gave very useful information about other bug reports I submitted.  I've found Mojave to be stable and responsive. But then, I never enter single page mode.

-----------------------------

Let me, however, recommend a program named "Presentation" by Renaud Blanch. See

        http://iihm.imag.fr/blanch/software/osx-presentation/

This is a free program which can display Beamer slides. It provides many desirable features; for instance the presenter can see an overview of the slides while selecting one to display. But I mention it particularly because it is immune from the bug.

Dick Koch

> On Jan 4, 2019, at 8:52 AM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am not sure that this is a TeXShop issue, but wonder if anyone has a suggestion for a workaround.
>
> I am trying to prepare some slides for a talk, and went back to a set I prepared about a year ago for a similar talk via beamer.
> When I view this using Preview, I find that every time a slide changes, there is a delay of maybe a second,
> during which the display becomes fuzzy before coming into focus.  This is of course highly distracting, and is not a behavior I recall
> (nor one I would have imposed on my audience) from a year ago.  I am not sure how to provide a “minimal example”, but wonder
> if anyone can suggest where to look for the source of this behavior, and even without that, how to avoid the behavior itself.
>
> Zbigniew Nitecki
> Department of Mathematics
> Tufts University
> Medford, MA 02155
>
> telephones:
> Office    (617)627-3843
> Dept.    (617)627-3234
> Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
> http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Delays in viewing beamer slides

Nicolae Garleanu-2
Hi Zbigniew,

I have been struggling with this issue for at least a year now, for all my documents. I just had to give up on the advantages of single-page mode. Even in continuous-page mode, if I go directly to the last page, sometimes the second-to-last, too, the page is fuzzy for half a second or so.

That said, there is no issue when projecting the pdf output of slides using Acrobat. Thus you do not need to worry about imposing that behavior on your audience.

Nicolae

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Delays in viewing beamer slides

Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
Dick and Nicolae:

Thanks for the information.  In my situation, it seems I am at the mercy of others, since the session at which I will be talking will use a single laptop to project all the speakers’ slides (from thumb drives).
Maybe I will forward your emails to the session organizers, and they may use one of the workarounds which you suggested.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

telephones:
Office    (617)627-3843
Dept.    (617)627-3234
Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/

On Jan 4, 2019, at 12:12, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Begin forwarded message:

Re: Delays in viewing beamer slides

Brandon Payne
Install skim.app on the laptop.

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 1:37 PM Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dick and Nicolae:

Thanks for the information.  In my situation, it seems I am at the mercy of others, since the session at which I will be talking will use a single laptop to project all the speakers’ slides (from thumb drives).
Maybe I will forward your emails to the session organizers, and they may use one of the workarounds which you suggested.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

telephones:
Office    <a href="tel:(617)%20627-3843" value="+16176273843" target="_blank">(617)627-3843
Dept.    <a href="tel:(617)%20627-3234" value="+16176273234" target="_blank">(617)627-3234
Dept. fax    <a href="tel:(617)%20627-3966" value="+16176273966" target="_blank">(617)627-3966
[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Begin forwarded message:

Re: Delays in viewing beamer slides

Herbert Schulz
> On Jan 10, 2019, at 12:11 PM, Brandon Payne <[hidden email]> wrote:

Howdy,

Actually, Skim uses the same PDFKit framework as Preview and suffers from the same problem.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/