Excalibur with MacTeX 2017 and High Sierra

Excalibur with MacTeX 2017 and High Sierra

Hervé CHOPLIN-3
Dear all,

Is Excalibur (spell checker) is compatible with MacTeX 2017 and MacOs High Sierra.
A Colleague at University of Tours France had problems with it

Thank’s

Hervé CHOPLIN
37100 TOURS - France
e-mail: [hidden email]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Excalibur with MacTeX 2017 and High Sierra

Richard Koch-2
I do not know the answer to this question, since the author stopped updating it
long ago. I recommend cocoAspell instead.

Excalibur is written with Carbon, a 32 bit library, and Apple is discouraging 32 bit apps
in the latest High Sierra update (not yet released). This will continue for one or two years
and then they will drop support for 32 bit apps.

We are discussing when to stop providing Excalibur. No conclusions yet.

Dick Koch
[hidden email]

> On Feb 19, 2018, at 4:53 AM, Hervé CHOPLIN <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> Is Excalibur (spell checker) is compatible with MacTeX 2017 and MacOs High Sierra.
> A Colleague at University of Tours France had problems with it
>
> Thank’s
>
> Hervé CHOPLIN
> 37100 TOURS - France
> e-mail: [hidden email]

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Excalibur with MacTeX 2017 and High Sierra

François Chaplais-3
I have downloaded cocoAspell and when I open the spell preferences pane it fails to compile the english dictionary. I am on 10.12.6 (16G1212) with admin rights.. Moreover, its states that with a blocking modal dialog that renders the system preferences unusable. Do the dictionaries require XCode as there is a makefile in the dictionary folder?
Excalibur works right out of the box.
Best regards
François

> Le 19 févr. 2018 à 16:59, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> I do not know the answer to this question, since the author stopped updating it
> long ago. I recommend cocoAspell instead.
>
> Excalibur is written with Carbon, a 32 bit library, and Apple is discouraging 32 bit apps
> in the latest High Sierra update (not yet released). This will continue for one or two years
> and then they will drop support for 32 bit apps.
>
> We are discussing when to stop providing Excalibur. No conclusions yet.
>
> Dick Koch
> [hidden email]
>

>> On Feb 19, 2018, at 4:53 AM, Hervé CHOPLIN <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Is Excalibur (spell checker) is compatible with MacTeX 2017 and MacOs High Sierra.
>> A Colleague at University of Tours France had problems with it
>>
>> Thank’s
>>
>> Hervé CHOPLIN
>> 37100 TOURS - France
>> e-mail: [hidden email]

>> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
>> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
>>               https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Excalibur with MacTeX 2017 and High Sierra

Herbert Schulz
> On Feb 19, 2018, at 3:15 PM, François Chaplais <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have downloaded cocoAspell and when I open the spell preferences pane it fails to compile the english dictionary. I am on 10.12.6 (16G1212) with admin rights.. Moreover, its states that with a blocking modal dialog that renders the system preferences unusable. Do the dictionaries require XCode as there is a makefile in the dictionary folder?
> Excalibur works right out of the box.
> Best regards
> François
>> Le 19 févr. 2018 à 16:59, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> I do not know the answer to this question, since the author stopped updating it
>> long ago. I recommend cocoAspell instead.
>>
>> Excalibur is written with Carbon, a 32 bit library, and Apple is discouraging 32 bit apps
>> in the latest High Sierra update (not yet released). This will continue for one or two years
>> and then they will drop support for 32 bit apps.
>>
>> We are discussing when to stop providing Excalibur. No conclusions yet.
>>
>> Dick Koch
>> [hidden email]
>>

>>> On Feb 19, 2018, at 4:53 AM, Hervé CHOPLIN <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> Is Excalibur (spell checker) is compatible with MacTeX 2017 and MacOs High Sierra.
>>> A Colleague at University of Tours France had problems with it
>>>
>>> Thank’s
>>>
>>> Hervé CHOPLIN
>>> 37100 TOURS - France
>>> e-mail: [hidden email]
Howdy,

Enclosed is a document that should help you get the dictionaries installed without installing XCode. You will install the Command Line utilities but they take upi very little room on the HD.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

InstallingCocoAspell.pdf.zip (80K) Download Attachment