Finding macros

Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
This is a system (OS10.14.6) question, rather than a TeX question per se.

I have been generating a set of TeXed homework assignments for a course (Math 135), trying to make it stand-alone so that others teaching the course could use my .tex files.  I habitually use a lot of macros, and have several extensive files of user-defined macros.  So far, I have been copying individual
macro definitions into the .tex file for each assignment, but this has proliferated, and I have finally decided to create a dedicated macro file for this purpose (to include whenever I distribute the .tex files for these assignments), called 135HWMacros.sty.  I created this by copying the list of \newcommands from the latest assignment into a new file in TeXShop.  When I tried to save it as 135HWMacros.sty, I was not allowed to (I was told to use 135HWMacros.sty.tex).  Now, I have a folder in Dropbox called Macros, with a subfolder called MyMacros, where I keep all of my older self-defined macro files.Things are configured so that when I compile a .tex file this folder (and subfolder) is searched first for macros.  When I saved my new file there as  135HWMacros.sty.tex, I would get an error saying “can’t find file 135HWMacros.sty.  Of course—in fact, the icon for that file was different from those of the other style files there.  So I renamed it 135HWMacros.sty (having saved it there earlier with the longer filename.)  But now I still get the same error message.  What should I do (or have done) differently?

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

telephones:
Office    (617)627-3843
Dept.    (617)627-3234
Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Finding macros

Murray Eisenberg
When you first save the file in TeXShop, at the bottom of the Save dialog window, there’s a field “File Format”. Just select “sty" there instead of the default “TeX file”.

So of course now that you’ve already saved the file as something.sty.tex, open it, copy and past into a blank source window, then do the above.

On 12 Aug2019, at 12:56 PM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Finding macros

Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
Doesn’t work.  I had already saved the file there, but I took it out of MyMacros, put it on my desktop, then copied the contents (control A control C) into a blank file in TeXShop, chose sty in the save dialogue—changing the name to Math135HWMacros just to make sure my commands didn’t confuse it with the other, and put it in MyMacros.  Still get the error “can’t find Math135HWMacros” (even though all the other .sty files in that folder do get accessed when called from a .tex file in TeXShop.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

telephones:
Office    (617)627-3843
Dept.    (617)627-3234
Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/

On Aug 12, 2019, at 13:18, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Finding macros

Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
I don’t know.  I work from two computers, one at home and the other in my office, so for years I have used Dropbox to synchronize files that I might want to access on both.  I had someone else set up things so that I had my macros in one place to use for both.  What puzzles me is the different behavior of this one file, when the setup has not (to my knowledge) changed.  I don’t think I want to mess with it.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

telephones:
Office    (617)627-3843
Dept.    (617)627-3234
Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/

On Aug 12, 2019, at 14:47, William Slough <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/