Font installation mtpro2

Themis Matsoukas-6
I cannot get math time pro to work in TeX Live 2018. This is a fresh installation of TeX Live on a reformatted computer. The fonts are installed in ~/Library/texmf. I copied the entire texmf folder from an older computer that runs TeX Live 2013 (and where mtpro2  works fine)  then I run updmap-user. My source compiles without complaints  but the output uses generic latex fonts.

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Font installation mtpro2

Herbert Schulz

> On Sep 28, 2018, at 3:28 PM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I cannot get math time pro to work in TeX Live 2018. This is a fresh installation of TeX Live on a reformatted computer. The fonts are installed in ~/Library/texmf. I copied the entire texmf folder from an older computer that runs TeX Live 2013 (and where mtpro2  works fine)  then I run updmap-user. My source compiles without complaints  but the output uses generic latex fonts.
>
> Themis

Howdy,

Do you have an updmap.cfg in ~/Library/texmf/web2c? If so, what does it have?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Font installation mtpro2

Ross Moore-3
Hi Themis, Herb

On 29 Sep 2018, at 6:35 am, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2018, at 3:28 PM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I cannot get math time pro to work in TeX Live 2018. This is a fresh installation of TeX Live on a reformatted computer. The fonts are installed in ~/Library/texmf. I copied the entire texmf folder from an older computer that runs TeX Live 2013 (and where mtpro2 works fine) then I run updmap-user. My source compiles without complaints but the output uses generic latex fonts.

I managed to install mtpro2 successfully on TeXLive 2017, just a couple of months ago.

One step is to enable the .map file:

SCI-3:XeTeX-test ross$ kpsewhich mtpro2.map
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/map/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map

SCI-3:XeTeX-test ross$ grep mtpro `kpsewhich psfonts.map`
% mtpro2.map

and of course ensure you do
     sudo texhash
after having added any files into a TeX tree.
You probably need to do this *before* enabling the  .map  file.

viz.
    sudo texhash
    sudo updmap-sys  --enable Map=mtpro2.map

> Themis

Howdy,

Do you have an updmap.cfg in ~/Library/texmf/web2c? If so, what does it have?

Hope this helps.

Ross

Dr Ross Moore

Mathematics Dept | 12 Wallys Walk, 734
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia

T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: <a href="tel:%2B61%202%209850%209695" value="&#43;61298509695" target="_blank" class="">+61 2 9850 8114
M:<a href="tel:%2B61%20409%20125%20670" value="&#43;61409125670" target="_blank" class="">+61 407 288 255  |  E: [hidden email]

http://www.maths.mq.edu.au

CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print.

This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed
in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of Macquarie University.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Font installation mtpro2

Herbert Schulz

> On Sep 28, 2018, at 3:53 PM, Ross Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Themis, Herb
>
>> On 29 Sep 2018, at 6:35 am, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> > On Sep 28, 2018, at 3:28 PM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > I cannot get math time pro to work in TeX Live 2018. This is a fresh installation of TeX Live on a reformatted computer. The fonts are installed in ~/Library/texmf. I copied the entire texmf folder from an older computer that runs TeX Live 2013 (and where mtpro2 works fine) then I run updmap-user. My source compiles without complaints but the output uses generic latex fonts.
>
> I managed to install mtpro2 successfully on TeXLive 2017, just a couple of months ago.
>
> One step is to enable the .map file:
>
> SCI-3:XeTeX-test ross$ kpsewhich mtpro2.map
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/map/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map
>
> SCI-3:XeTeX-test ross$ grep mtpro `kpsewhich psfonts.map`
> % mtpro2.map
>
> and of course ensure you do
>      sudo texhash
> after having added any files into a TeX tree.
> You probably need to do this *before* enabling the  .map  file.
>
> viz.
>     sudo texhash
>     sudo updmap-sys  --enable Map=mtpro2.map

Howdy,

Themis is installing in TEXMFHOME (~/Library/texmf) so doesn't need to use texhas/mktexlsr. He, correctly, is using updmap-user.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Font installation mtpro2

Themis Matsoukas-6
> On Sep 28, 2018, at 4:35 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Do you have an updmap.cfg in ~/Library/texmf/web2c? If so, what does it have?

What I just realized is that the problem is *not* mtpro2  (works fine in math) but \rmdefault, which I cannot get it to use times in the main text. Here is a minimal example:

\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptm}
\usepackage[lite,subscriptcorrection,nofontinfo]{mtpro2}

\begin{document}
\section{Introduction}
Hello, \textit{hello}, \textbf{hello}.
%
\begin{equation}
   abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
   =\int_0^\infty f(x)\log h(x)  dx
\end{equation}
%
\end{document}

whose output is attached and produces no boldface or italics.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

2.pdf (58K) Download Attachment

Re: Font installation mtpro2

Herbert Schulz

> On Sep 29, 2018, at 4:47 AM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 28, 2018, at 4:35 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Do you have an updmap.cfg in ~/Library/texmf/web2c? If so, what does it have?
>>

> What I just realized is that the problem is *not* mtpro2  (works fine in math) but \rmdefault, which I cannot get it to use times in the main text. Here is a minimal example:
>

> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
> \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptm}
> \usepackage[lite,subscriptcorrection,nofontinfo]{mtpro2}
>
> \begin{document}
> \section{Introduction}
> Hello, \textit{hello}, \textbf{hello}.
> %
> \begin{equation}
>   abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
>   =\int_0^\infty f(x)\log h(x)  dx
> \end{equation}
> %
> \end{document}
>

> whose output is attached and produces no boldface or italics.
>

> <2.pdf>

Howdy,

Sigh... no problem here. Again, what does the ~/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg contain?

Try using the newtxtext package for text? Does that work?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Font installation mtpro2

Themis Matsoukas-6

> On Sep 29, 2018, at 9:31 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Try using the newtxtext package for text? Does that work?

Yes, newtxtext works, and I suppose that's good enough for me for now. But I don't understand why none of the commands below work for me:

\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptm}
\renewcommand{\sfdefault}{phv}
\renewcommand{\ttdefault}{pcr}

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Font installation mtpro2

Gray, Gary L
Themis,

Here is the code I use to invoke mtpro (I know some lines are not relevant -- copy and paste is so easy):

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptm}
\usepackage[scaled=0.92]{helvet}
\usepackage[mtpscr,mtpcal,slantedGreek,zswash,subscriptcorrection]{mtpro2}
\usepackage[scaled=1]{inconsolata}

I commented out the helvet and inconsolata packages and used:

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptm}
\renewcommand{\sfdefault}{phv}
\renewcommand{\ttdefault}{pcr}
\usepackage[mtpscr,mtpcal,slantedGreek,zswash,subscriptcorrection]{mtpro2}

and that also worked as expected.

Gary

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Font installation mtpro2

Themis Matsoukas-6
> On Sep 29, 2018, at 2:16 PM, Gary L. Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{textcomp}
> \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptm}
> \renewcommand{\sfdefault}{phv}
> \renewcommand{\ttdefault}{pcr}
> \usepackage[mtpscr,mtpcal,slantedGreek,zswash,subscriptcorrection]{mtpro2}

Gary,

That worked!

Actually, the command that made it work is \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}. Without it, ptm, phv and pcr don't work and I get generic fonts with no bold, sf, etc. Not sure why I need fontenc in TL 2018 but not in my older tex installation.

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/