Goto Error (TS 4.23)

Themis Matsoukas-6
The Goto error feature in the console doesn't seem to work consistently. With some errors (usually typos in latex commands), clicking the Goto Error button does nothing, neither when the console stops at the error, nor after the end of typesetting. This does not happen with all errors but with some it happens consistently.

 Do others see this behavior?

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Goto Error (TS 4.23)

Herbert Schulz
> On Jan 28, 2019, at 9:28 AM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The Goto error feature in the console doesn't seem to work consistently. With some errors (usually typos in latex commands), clicking the Goto Error button does nothing, neither when the console stops at the error, nor after the end of typesetting. This does not happen with all errors but with some it happens consistently.
>
> Do others see this behavior?
>
> Themis

Howdy,

Hmmm... I just created a document, entered an undefined command and typeset. Of course that failed but clicking on the Go To Error button took be to that command. I tried it again after Aborting and it still worked fine.

Could you send me a sample file with an example that consistently fails?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Goto Error (TS 4.23)

Justin C. Walker

> On Jan 28, 2019, at 07:28 , Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The Goto error feature in the console doesn't seem to work consistently. With some errors (usually typos in latex commands), clicking the Goto Error button does nothing, neither when the console stops at the error, nor after the end of typesetting. This does not happen with all errors but with some it happens consistently.
>
> Do others see this behavior?

Yes, I have seen it for a long time.  I think that the issue has something to do with the kind of error - it may not be possible to identify the location in some cases.  It’s been a while since I’ve done a lot of Texting, so the memories are a bit dusty.

HTH

Justin

Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
-----------
I want to die, peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather;
not screaming in terror, like his passengers.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Goto Error (TS 4.23)

R Martinez
Hello all,

I confirmed Themis’s observation: Goto Error does not always work.

First test: I removed the closing brace from a footnote and Goto Error did not do anything when I clicked on it.

Second test: I removed the closing brace from a \cite command and this time Goto Error sent me to the line just below the missing brace.

Third test: I added an extra closing brace to the same \cite command and Goto Error sent me to the precise spot of the extra brace.

So it’s hit and miss. As it happens, I hardly ever use Goto Error, so I hadn’t noticed the issue.

HTH,

Raul Martinez

> On Jan 28, 2019, at 10:31 AM, Justin C. Walker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 28, 2019, at 07:28 , Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The Goto error feature in the console doesn't seem to work consistently. With some errors (usually typos in latex commands), clicking the Goto Error button does nothing, neither when the console stops at the error, nor after the end of typesetting. This does not happen with all errors but with some it happens consistently.
>>
>> Do others see this behavior?
>
> Yes, I have seen it for a long time.  I think that the issue has something to do with the kind of error - it may not be possible to identify the location in some cases.  It’s been a while since I’ve done a lot of Texting, so the memories are a bit dusty.
>
> HTH
>
> Justin
>
> —
> Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
> Institute for the Absorption of Federal Funds
> -----------
> I want to die, peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather;
> not screaming in terror, like his passengers.

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Goto Error (TS 4.23)

Richard Koch-2

> On Jan 28, 2019, at 11:47 AM, R Martinez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I confirmed Themis’s observation: Goto Error does not always work.
>
> First test: I removed the closing brace from a footnote and Goto Error did not do anything when I clicked on it.
>
> Second test: I removed the closing brace from a \cite command and this time Goto Error sent me to the line just below the missing brace.
>
> Third test: I added an extra closing brace to the same \cite command and Goto Error sent me to the precise spot of the extra brace.
>
> So it’s hit and miss. As it happens, I hardly ever use Goto Error, so I hadn’t noticed the issue.
>
> HTH,
>
> Raul Martinez

In each of these cases, the natural question to ask is "Where did TeX believe the error was, according to the console report?" It is a known fact that TeX will sometimes report an error in a different spot than the actual error. You cannot expect TeXShop to improve on that, because it is using TeX's output to locate the error.

Dick Koch

>> On Jan 28, 2019, at 10:31 AM, Justin C. Walker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jan 28, 2019, at 07:28 , Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> The Goto error feature in the console doesn't seem to work consistently. With some errors (usually typos in latex commands), clicking the Goto Error button does nothing, neither when the console stops at the error, nor after the end of typesetting. This does not happen with all errors but with some it happens consistently.
>>>
>>> Do others see this behavior?
>>
>> Yes, I have seen it for a long time.  I think that the issue has something to do with the kind of error - it may not be possible to identify the location in some cases.  It’s been a while since I’ve done a lot of Texting, so the memories are a bit dusty.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Justin
>>
>> —
>> Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
>> Institute for the Absorption of Federal Funds
>> -----------
>> I want to die, peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather;
>> not screaming in terror, like his passengers.

>> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
>> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
>>               https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Goto Error (TS 4.23)

Justin C. Walker

> On Jan 28, 2019, at 11:47 , R Martinez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I confirmed Themis’s observation: Goto Error does not always work.
>
> First test: I removed the closing brace from a footnote and Goto Error did not do anything when I clicked on it.

Yeah; this is one of the errors that is difficult to pinpoint: the error occurs where the closing brace isn’t :-}, and that is hard to locate...

> Second test: I removed the closing brace from a \cite command and this time Goto Error sent me to the line just below the missing brace.

Might be because the parser expects the the citation to end before certain other tokens pop up?

> Third test: I added an extra closing brace to the same \cite command and Goto Error sent me to the precise spot of the extra brace.

The closing brace without a corresponding opening brace is easy to spot.

As Dick said, these are errors that TeX itself either locates or can’t locate…

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Goto Error (TS 4.23)

Richard Koch-2
Indeed, "Goto Error" in TeXShop is supposed to select a portion of source code and the end of this selection should be the exact spot where TeX reported an error. Obviously this will not work if there were several errors, and earlier errors were fixed, changing later error locations slightly.

Dick Koch
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Goto Error (TS 4.23)

Themis Matsoukas-6

> On Jan 28, 2019, at 3:19 PM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Indeed, "Goto Error" in TeXShop is supposed to select a portion of source code and the end of this selection should be the exact spot where TeX reported an error. Obviously this will not work if there were several errors, and earlier errors were fixed, changing later error locations slightly.
>
> Dick Koch

Understood.  In fact, it is amazing to me that Goto works at all! The problem is when Goto goes nowhere. In a project with many included files this makes it hard to debug.

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Goto Error (TS 4.23)

Herbert Schulz
> On Jan 28, 2019, at 2:33 PM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 28, 2019, at 3:19 PM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Indeed, "Goto Error" in TeXShop is supposed to select a portion of source code and the end of this selection should be the exact spot where TeX reported an error. Obviously this will not work if there were several errors, and earlier errors were fixed, changing later error locations slightly.
>>
>> Dick Koch
>
> Understood.  In fact, it is amazing to me that Goto works at all! The problem is when Goto goes nowhere. In a project with many included files this makes it hard to debug.
>
> Themis

Howdy,

Assuming the command you are using to typeset your document has the --file-line-error flag set the error information in the Console should start with the file name and line number in that file where the error was detected (of course that's not necessarily where the error really is). The default built-in and latexmk based engine commands all have that flag set. I can't say for other engines.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Goto Error (TS 4.23)

Louis Talman
On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 13:18:32 -0700, Justin C. Walker <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> the error occurs where the closing brace isn’t :-}, and that is hard to
> locate...

A bit more precisely: \textit{everywhere} is where the closing brace isn't.

--Louis A. Talman, Ph.D.
   Emeritus Professor of Mathematics
   Metropolitan State University of Denver

   <http://sites.msudenver.edu/talmanl/homepage/>
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Goto Error (TS 4.23)

Ross Moore-3
Hello Louis, Justin, Themis,

wrote:

> the error occurs where the closing brace isn’t :-}, and that is hard to
> locate…

Is your error the missing closing brace?

That is actually not an error until TeX encounters something that is not supposed
to be enclosed within \textit{…. } which is an “inner” macro.
“Outer" material is stuff like an end of paragraph (\par  or  blank line).
This inner/outer distinction is part of TeX (the language).
It isn’t all that well explained in LaTeX documentation.

Put simply, macros like \textit, \textbf, \textsf, etc. are meant to have short arguments
consisting of just a few words. Although they can be nested, this is usually not a good idea.

If you want to apply font-style changes to whole paragraphs, or to several paragraphs
(within an environment, or perhaps not), it is better to use the declarative forms
 \itshape,  \bfseries , \sffamily,  etc.
These apply up until the closing of the grouping within which they occur.
Since each adjust font-family characteristics, you can use multiples of these to get
the required representation; e.g. use a bold-italic sans-serif font, if this is available
with whatever packages you are using.

In your case however, it’s probably not until the end of the paragraph that an error will be reported.
Maybe not until several paragraphs, depending on how clean is your LaTeX coding.

Cannot you use syntax-colouring to find the mistake?
Locate \textit and arrow-right to the { .
Everything until *an* actual close should become coloured.
Presumably only a few words were intended, so you’ll have to decide which ones for yourself.

A bit more precisely: \textit{everywhere} is where the closing brace isn't.

--Louis A. Talman, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of Mathematics
Metropolitan State University of Denver

<http://sites.msudenver.edu/talmanl/homepage/>

Hope this helps.

Ross

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Goto Error (TS 4.23)

Themis Matsoukas-6

> On Jan 28, 2019, at 5:46 PM, Ross Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Louis, Justin, Themis,
>
> Is your error the missing closing brace?

Hi Ross,

In my case the error was a typo in a latex command (\etxt instead of \text). Playing with it I noticed that the same typo sometimes allowed Goto to locate the error more or less precisely, other times caused Goto to do nothing, and yet other times made it go to the root file, not to the file with the error. This is a project with several \include and \input files, so it could be a combination of factors. I could not come up with a minimal example to demonstrate.

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/