Hyperref in 2018 and 2019 TeXLive

Nestor Aguilera-3
I want to reference external documents using hyperref on the files test1 and test2 below.

I have no problems using the 2018 TeXLive distribution. With the 2019 distribution the numbers are correct but the links are dead.

Everything works with either distribution if I replace "\hyperref" (two arguments) by a simple "\ref" (one argument).

Any clues?

Thanks!

Nestor

%----------------------------------------------
% file test1.tex
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{xr-hyper}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\externaldocument{test2}
\begin{document}
\section{Section in I}\label{sec1}
All the leaves continued in \hyperref[sec2]{section~\ref*{sec2}}.
\end{document}
%----------------------------------------------
% file test2.tex
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{xr-hyper}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\externaldocument{test1}
\begin{document}
\setcounter{section}{1}
\section{Section in II}\label{sec2}
Continuing from \hyperref[sec1]{Section~\ref*{sec1}} are brown.
\end{document}
%----------------------------------------------

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Hyperref in 2018 and 2019 TeXLive

Nestor Aguilera-3
I installed the MacTeX-2020 distribution hoping that the hyperref problem would be solved, but this does not seem to be the case. The examples below work with the 2018 distribution but not with the 2019 or 2020.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Nestor

> On 7 Apr 2020, at 10:02, Nestor Aguilera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I want to reference external documents using hyperref on the files test1 and test2 below.
>
> I have no problems using the 2018 TeXLive distribution. With the 2019 distribution the numbers are correct but the links are dead.
>
> Everything works with either distribution if I replace "\hyperref" (two arguments) by a simple "\ref" (one argument).
>
> Any clues?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Nestor
>
> %----------------------------------------------
> % file test1.tex
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{xr-hyper}
> \usepackage{hyperref}
> \externaldocument{test2}
> \begin{document}
> \section{Section in I}\label{sec1}
> All the leaves continued in \hyperref[sec2]{section~\ref*{sec2}}.
> \end{document}
> %----------------------------------------------
> % file test2.tex
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{xr-hyper}
> \usepackage{hyperref}
> \externaldocument{test1}
> \begin{document}
> \setcounter{section}{1}
> \section{Section in II}\label{sec2}
> Continuing from \hyperref[sec1]{Section~\ref*{sec1}} are brown.
> \end{document}
> %----------------------------------------------

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Hyperref in 2018 and 2019 TeXLive

Herbert Schulz

> On Apr 24, 2020, at 4:55 AM, Nestor Aguilera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I installed the MacTeX-2020 distribution hoping that the hyperref problem would be solved, but this does not seem to be the case. The examples below work with the 2018 distribution but not with the 2019 or 2020.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Nestor
>
>> On 7 Apr 2020, at 10:02, Nestor Aguilera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I want to reference external documents using hyperref on the files test1 and test2 below.
>>
>> I have no problems using the 2018 TeXLive distribution. With the 2019 distribution the numbers are correct but the links are dead.
>>
>> Everything works with either distribution if I replace "\hyperref" (two arguments) by a simple "\ref" (one argument).
>>
>> Any clues?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Nestor
>>
>> %----------------------------------------------
>> % file test1.tex
>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage{xr-hyper}
>> \usepackage{hyperref}
>> \externaldocument{test2}
>> \begin{document}
>> \section{Section in I}\label{sec1}
>> All the leaves continued in \hyperref[sec2]{section~\ref*{sec2}}.
>> \end{document}
>> %----------------------------------------------
>> % file test2.tex
>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage{xr-hyper}
>> \usepackage{hyperref}
>> \externaldocument{test1}
>> \begin{document}
>> \setcounter{section}{1}
>> \section{Section in II}\label{sec2}
>> Continuing from \hyperref[sec1]{Section~\ref*{sec1}} are brown.
>> \end{document}
>> %----------------------------------------------

Howdy,

Have you reported the problem to the hyperref maintainers, <https://github.com/latex3/hyperref/issues>?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Hyperref in 2018 and 2019 TeXLive

Nestor Aguilera-3

> On 24 Apr 2020, at 08:25, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 24, 2020, at 4:55 AM, Nestor Aguilera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I installed the MacTeX-2020 distribution hoping that the hyperref problem would be solved, but this does not seem to be the case. The examples below work with the 2018 distribution but not with the 2019 or 2020.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Nestor
>>
>>> [...]
>
> Howdy,
>
> Have you reported the problem to the hyperref maintainers, <https://github.com/latex3/hyperref/issues>?

Herb,

Thanks for the suggestion, I was wondering whether this is a problem of what I have installed (some underlying conflict), a MacTex issue or a general one.

Given your answer, I understand that you tried the example and it isn't working, is that so?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Nestor
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Hyperref in 2018 and 2019 TeXLive

Herbert Schulz

> On Apr 24, 2020, at 6:41 AM, Nestor Aguilera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 24 Apr 2020, at 08:25, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On Apr 24, 2020, at 4:55 AM, Nestor Aguilera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I installed the MacTeX-2020 distribution hoping that the hyperref problem would be solved, but this does not seem to be the case. The examples below work with the 2018 distribution but not with the 2019 or 2020.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Nestor

>> Howdy,
>>
>> Have you reported the problem to the hyperref maintainers, <https://github.com/latex3/hyperref/issues>?
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>

> Herb,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, I was wondering whether this is a problem of what I have installed (some underlying conflict), a MacTex issue or a general one.
>
> Given your answer, I understand that you tried the example and it isn't working, is that so?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nestor

Howdy,

If I understand you correctly it isn't working correctly. The links aren't dead but in Preview I get a dialog box saying `The application can't be opened' and in Adobe Reader I get a dialog asking if it ok to open the URL to the file but then nothing happens.

I did have to typeset each document and then do each document again in order to get the references correct.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Hyperref in 2018 and 2019 TeXLive

Nestor Aguilera-3
Hi Herb,

> On 24 Apr 2020, at 08:56, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>> [...]
>>

>> Herb,
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion, I was wondering whether this is a problem of what I have installed (some underlying conflict), a MacTex issue or a general one.
>>
>> Given your answer, I understand that you tried the example and it isn't working, is that so?
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Nestor
>
> Howdy,
>
> If I understand you correctly it isn't working correctly. The links aren't dead but in Preview I get a dialog box saying `The application can't be opened' and in Adobe Reader I get a dialog asking if it ok to open the URL to the file but then nothing happens.
>
> I did have to typeset each document and then do each document again in order to get the references correct.

Ok, I use Skim and hadn't tried the files with either Preview or Adobe Reader. I did that now and the results are as you stated. However, both work "as advertised" when compiling with the 2018 MacTex distribution.

I guess Skim and Preview work on the same pdf interpreter, so the identical results are what one would expect.

From the Adobe Reader behavior, I am inclined to believe that this a permission/protection issue inside the pdf file, probably coming from the hyperref/xr compilation.

I could not find any warnings in the "manual" for hyperref (January 2020), nor in the "xr" reference (July 2019).

Just to make sure, I would like to know if the enclosed pdfs compiled with the 2018 distribution work in someone else's machine. I promise I didn't put any viruses in the links.

Thanks,

Nestor

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

test1 2018.pdf (30K) Download Attachment
test2 2018.pdf (31K) Download Attachment

Re: Hyperref in 2018 and 2019 TeXLive

Herbert Schulz

> On Apr 24, 2020, at 11:12 AM, Nestor Aguilera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Herb,

>>> Herb,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the suggestion, I was wondering whether this is a problem of what I have installed (some underlying conflict), a MacTex issue or a general one.
>>>
>>> Given your answer, I understand that you tried the example and it isn't working, is that so?
>>>
>>> Thanks again.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Nestor
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> If I understand you correctly it isn't working correctly. The links aren't dead but in Preview I get a dialog box saying `The application can't be opened' and in Adobe Reader I get a dialog asking if it ok to open the URL to the file but then nothing happens.
>>
>> I did have to typeset each document and then do each document again in order to get the references correct.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>
> Ok, I use Skim and hadn't tried the files with either Preview or Adobe Reader. I did that now and the results are as you stated. However, both work "as advertised" when compiling with the 2018 MacTex distribution.
>
> I guess Skim and Preview work on the same pdf interpreter, so the identical results are what one would expect.
>
> From the Adobe Reader behavior, I am inclined to believe that this a permission/protection issue inside the pdf file, probably coming from the hyperref/xr compilation.
>
> I could not find any warnings in the "manual" for hyperref (January 2020), nor in the "xr" reference (July 2019).
>
> Just to make sure, I would like to know if the enclosed pdfs compiled with the 2018 distribution work in someone else's machine. I promise I didn't put any viruses in the links.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nestor

Howdy,

I just tried the pdf files you supplied. They give dead links in Preview (Catalina 10.15.4) and I suspect Skim does the same since they both use PDFKit. Under Adobe Reader clicking on the link brings up a side panel element to convert the file to docx!? In neither case does it work as I would expect, i.e., it brings up the other document.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Hyperref in 2018 and 2019 TeXLive

Nestor Aguilera-3

> On 24 Apr 2020, at 13:22, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 24, 2020, at 11:12 AM, Nestor Aguilera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Herb,

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> If I understand you correctly it isn't working correctly. The links aren't dead but in Preview I get a dialog box saying `The application can't be opened' and in Adobe Reader I get a dialog asking if it ok to open the URL to the file but then nothing happens.
>>>
>>> I did have to typeset each document and then do each document again in order to get the references correct.
>>>
>>> Good Luck,
>>>
>>> Herb Schulz
>>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>>
>> Ok, I use Skim and hadn't tried the files with either Preview or Adobe Reader. I did that now and the results are as you stated. However, both work "as advertised" when compiling with the 2018 MacTex distribution.
>>
>> I guess Skim and Preview work on the same pdf interpreter, so the identical results are what one would expect.
>>
>> From the Adobe Reader behavior, I am inclined to believe that this a permission/protection issue inside the pdf file, probably coming from the hyperref/xr compilation.
>>
>> I could not find any warnings in the "manual" for hyperref (January 2020), nor in the "xr" reference (July 2019).
>>
>> Just to make sure, I would like to know if the enclosed pdfs compiled with the 2018 distribution work in someone else's machine. I promise I didn't put any viruses in the links.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Nestor
>
> Howdy,
>
> I just tried the pdf files you supplied. They give dead links in Preview (Catalina 10.15.4) and I suspect Skim does the same since they both use PDFKit. Under Adobe Reader clicking on the link brings up a side panel element to convert the file to docx!? In neither case does it work as I would expect, i.e., it brings up the other document.

Hi Herb,

Everything (Skim, Preview, Adobe Reader) is working fine here with the 2018 compilation, **but** I am on Mojave 10.14.6. So I tried all files with a recent version of Adobe Reader on Windows 10 and the behavior is similar to what you are seeing: at some point it asks for permissions but nothing happens, and the 2018 versions don't work either.

Since I would like to upload files calling each other so anyone can use them (instead of uploading a big file), I would very much appreciate any advice.

All the best,

Nestor

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Hyperref in 2018 and 2019 TeXLive

Herbert Schulz

> On Apr 24, 2020, at 4:13 PM, Nestor Aguilera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 24 Apr 2020, at 13:22, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Apr 24, 2020, at 11:12 AM, Nestor Aguilera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Herb,

>>> Ok, I use Skim and hadn't tried the files with either Preview or Adobe Reader. I did that now and the results are as you stated. However, both work "as advertised" when compiling with the 2018 MacTex distribution.
>>>
>>> I guess Skim and Preview work on the same pdf interpreter, so the identical results are what one would expect.
>>>
>>> From the Adobe Reader behavior, I am inclined to believe that this a permission/protection issue inside the pdf file, probably coming from the hyperref/xr compilation.
>>>
>>> I could not find any warnings in the "manual" for hyperref (January 2020), nor in the "xr" reference (July 2019).
>>>
>>> Just to make sure, I would like to know if the enclosed pdfs compiled with the 2018 distribution work in someone else's machine. I promise I didn't put any viruses in the links.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Nestor
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I just tried the pdf files you supplied. They give dead links in Preview (Catalina 10.15.4) and I suspect Skim does the same since they both use PDFKit. Under Adobe Reader clicking on the link brings up a side panel element to convert the file to docx!? In neither case does it work as I would expect, i.e., it brings up the other document.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>
> Hi Herb,
>
> Everything (Skim, Preview, Adobe Reader) is working fine here with the 2018 compilation, **but** I am on Mojave 10.14.6. So I tried all files with a recent version of Adobe Reader on Windows 10 and the behavior is similar to what you are seeing: at some point it asks for permissions but nothing happens, and the 2018 versions don't work either.
>
> Since I would like to upload files calling each other so anyone can use them (instead of uploading a big file), I would very much appreciate any advice.
>
> All the best,
>
> Nestor

Howdy,

I expect that Catalina has raised the anti on security and Mojave raised them on High Sierra.

Have you thought of asking on Stack Exchange as well as here? There are some amazing folks on line there.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Hyperref in 2018 and 2019 TeXLive

Nestor Aguilera-3
Thanks Herb, I will try to follow your suggestion. Best, Nestor

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/