Quantcast

Installing bibtool

Jan Erik Moström
I'm a bit slow (in all kind of ways ;) and I'm just trying to
figure out the MacTeX distribution ... one thing that that I
would like to do is to install "bibtool" (not bibtools) but I
can't figure out how to do this in a simple way. Using Gerbens
TeX distribution it was possible to use the i-installer but now
I'm at a loss how to do it.

Does anyone have some advise?

             jem
--
Jan Erik Moström
http://mostrom.eu

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Installing bibtool

Peter Dyballa

Am 23.11.2009 um 20:49 schrieb Jan Erik Moström:

> Does anyone have some advise?

What is this "bibtool?"

      _o    o         o   o
    _<<     \\_/\_,   \\_ \\_/\_,
   (*)/(*) (*)   (*) (*) `-    (*)

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Installing bibtool

David Watson-2
On Nov 23, 2009, at 1:49 PM, Jan Erik Moström wrote:

> I'm a bit slow (in all kind of ways ;) and I'm just trying to figure out the MacTeX distribution ... one thing that that I would like to do is to install "bibtool" (not bibtools) but I can't figure out how to do this in a simple way. Using Gerbens TeX distribution it was possible to use the i-installer but now I'm at a loss how to do it.

You can download the source and compile it yourself from http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/biblio/bibtex/utils/bibtool/
(Get the *.gz) file.
Once you have expanded the tar archive, copy the makefile.unx file to makefile, then run
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo make install.man
This will place a working copy and manual pages in the /usr/local tree.
As long as you have /usr/local/bin in your path, things should work.

Of course, you have to have the developer tools to do this.
There are many options to set specific details during the compilation process, but I just did a vanilla "make" and
    ./bibtool -h
gave me the typical "usage" statement.

I've never used bibtool, don't know how to use it, and don't have any test files to ensure that it works in a real-life situation.
Otherwise, I now have a seemingly-functional version of "bibtool" that runs on X86_64 Snow Leopard.
I don't guess that really helps you, but if you want it, send me a message off-list.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Installing bibtool

Jan Erik Moström
Bibtool is a very nice tool for keeping a tidy referens list, it
has a lot of options and is especially useful if you're several
people who use the same referens file and some might not be of
the opinion that a nicely formatted bibtex file is important ;)

Thanks for the info

             jem
--
Jan Erik Moström
http://mostrom.eu

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Installing bibtool

Herbert Schulz

On Nov 26, 2009, at 8:51 AM, Jan Erik Moström wrote:

> Bibtool is a very nice tool for keeping a tidy referens list, it has a lot of options and is especially useful if you're several people who use the same referens file and some might not be of the opinion that a nicely formatted bibtex file is important ;)
>
> Thanks for the info
>
>            jem

Howdy,

How about BibDesk?

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Installing bibtool

Jan Erik Moström
On 09-11-26 at 16:41, [hidden email] (Herbert Schulz) wrote:

>How about BibDesk?

While it works as a referensmanager it doesn't really work if
several people are working together and if one or more use
something else than BibDesk.

                 jem
--
Jan Erik Moström
http://mostrom.eu

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Installing bibtool

Peter Pagin
This may be a trivial or irrelevant observation, but I have found that if a group of co-authors uses the primitive method of sending updates to each other by email, the cleanest way of handling the bibliography is to let each member be responsible for one of the bib-files used, and send updates of it together with updates of the tex files. This way people don't interfere with each other's files. Each has the choice of using BibDesk (as I do, great application!) or not.

Peter

26 nov 2009 kl. 16.59 skrev Jan Erik Moström:

On 09-11-26 at 16:41, [hidden email] (Herbert Schulz) wrote:

How about BibDesk?

While it works as a referensmanager it doesn't really work if several people are working together and if one or more use something else than BibDesk.

               jem
--
Jan Erik Moström
http://mostrom.eu

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

--------------------
Peter Pagin
Professor
Department of Philosophy, Stockholm University
106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
tel: +46-8-162813, fax: +46-8-152226

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Installing bibtool

Jan Erik Moström
On 09-11-26 at 19:53, [hidden email] (Peter Pagin) wrote:

>This may be a trivial or irrelevant observation, but I have
>found that if a group of co-authors uses the primitive method
>of sending updates to each other by email,

It's a correct observation ... and in my experience it's an
almost impossible to task to use email for keeping track of
research projects.

My main research group use subversion to collaborate (I had to
check - our first checkin was done almost 4 years ago, the
repository contains 3000 files and have approx 900 checkins).
This makes it very easy to keep track of changes, merge files etc.

It also mean that we use the same bibtex file

- jem
--
Jan Erik Moström
http://mostrom.eu