Installing mbboard

Don Green Dragon
Hi all,

Somewhere I read about this font program `mbboard’ which is a BlackBoard type of font but has both lowercase characters and digits in addition to uppercase characters. Currently I have available a BlackBoard font but it only provides uppercase letters.

Since I’m not sure which provides which here is the collection of packages that I have in my prelude:

\usepackage{amssymb} % allows AMS symbols -- ESSENTIAL
\usepackage{latexsym} % allows LaTeX symbols
\usepackage{amsfonts} % allows AMS fonts
%\usepackage{eucal} % experimental -- may not need [mathscr] option below
\usepackage[mathscr]{eucal} % use \mathcal & \mathscr fonts -- CALligraphic & SCRipt
                                        % \mathscr{...} ignores lowercase and digits
                                        % \mathcal{...} transforms lowercase and digits into garbage
\usepackage{mathrsfs} % allows nice math script characters -- if not included, then the call
                                        % \mathscr{ABC} produces  Calligraphic-like chars too similar
                                        % to those produced by \mathcal{ABC}. Lowercase & digits ignored
\usepackage{mathabx} % allows use of \dotseq, \coloneq, \rightsquigarrow
\usepackage{amscd} % allows Commutative Diagrams
%\usepackage{amsxtra} % allows use of 'extra' math accents
%\usepackage{mbboard} % allows blackboard chars for upper, lower, digits - NOT FOUND

If I uncomment the last line and typeset, then I receive the error message:

! LaTeX Error: File `mbboard.sty' not found

So I went to CTAN, found and downloaded a file «mbboard.zip"  (108 KB) which unzipped produced  a directory «mbboard" in my Downloads directory. This directory contains one file «mbboard.html" which does not tell one how to install the software and two directories:

        source     and      texinputs

which contain

doncarvel:~/downloads/mbboard$ ls
mbboard.html source texinputs
doncarvel:~/downloads/mbboard$  ls source
COMP mbbbase.mf mbbgrkup.mf mbbromlg.mf mbbx17.mf
COMPILE mbbcr10.mf mbbheb10.mf mbbromlo.mf mbbx5.mf
mbb10.mf mbbcrkdr.mf mbbhebdr.mf mbbromup.mf mbbx6.mf
mbb12.mf mbbcrklo.mf mbbhebma.mf mbbromxl.mf mbbx7.mf
mbb17.mf mbbcrkup.mf mbbhebrw.mf mbbromxu.mf mbbx8.mf
mbb5.mf mbbdigit.mf mbbhebvw.mf mbbsc10.mf mbbx9.mf
mbb6.mf mbbdrivr.mf mbbi10.mf mbbsl10.mf mbbxbold.mf
mbb7.mf mbbextra.mf mbblight.mf mbbsmcdr.mf
mbb8.mf mbbgr10.mf mbbpunct.mf mbbsymbl.mf
mbb9.mf mbbgrkdr.mf mbbr10.mf mbbx10.mf
mbbaccnt.mf mbbgrklo.mf mbbrbx10.mf mbbx12.mf
doncarvel:~/downloads/mbboard$ ls texinputs
mbboard.dcl mbboard.sty mbboard.tex mbbtest.tex testmac.tex

The above shows the missing file mbboard.sty but I don’t know what to do with all the above.

Suggestions?

don green dragon

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Installing mbboard

Alan Litchfield
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=instfont

Alan

On 5/12/2013, at 3:24 PM, Don Green Dragon wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Somewhere I read about this font program `mbboard’ which is a
> BlackBoard type of font but has both lowercase characters and digits
> in addition to uppercase characters. Currently I have available a
> BlackBoard font but it only provides uppercase letters.
>
> Since I’m not sure which provides which here is the collection of
> packages that I have in my prelude:
>
> \usepackage{amssymb} % allows AMS symbols -- ESSENTIAL
> \usepackage{latexsym} % allows LaTeX symbols
> \usepackage{amsfonts} % allows AMS fonts
> %\usepackage{eucal} % experimental -- may not need [mathscr] option
> below
> \usepackage[mathscr]{eucal} % use \mathcal & \mathscr fonts --
> CALligraphic & SCRipt
> % \mathscr{...} ignores lowercase and digits
> % \mathcal{...} transforms lowercase and digits into garbage
> \usepackage{mathrsfs} % allows nice math script characters -- if not
> included, then the call
> % \mathscr{ABC} produces  Calligraphic-like chars too similar
> % to those produced by \mathcal{ABC}. Lowercase & digits ignored
> \usepackage{mathabx} % allows use of \dotseq, \coloneq,
> \rightsquigarrow
> \usepackage{amscd} % allows Commutative Diagrams
> %\usepackage{amsxtra} % allows use of 'extra' math accents
> %\usepackage{mbboard} % allows blackboard chars for upper, lower,
> digits - NOT FOUND
>
> If I uncomment the last line and typeset, then I receive the error
> message:
>
> ! LaTeX Error: File `mbboard.sty' not found
>
> So I went to CTAN, found and downloaded a file «mbboard.zip"  (108
> KB) which unzipped produced  a directory «mbboard" in my Downloads
> directory. This directory contains one file «mbboard.html" which
> does not tell one how to install the software and two directories:
>
> source     and      texinputs
>
> which contain
>
> doncarvel:~/downloads/mbboard$ ls
> mbboard.html source texinputs
> doncarvel:~/downloads/mbboard$  ls source
> COMP mbbbase.mf mbbgrkup.mf mbbromlg.mf mbbx17.mf
> COMPILE mbbcr10.mf mbbheb10.mf mbbromlo.mf mbbx5.mf
> mbb10.mf mbbcrkdr.mf mbbhebdr.mf mbbromup.mf mbbx6.mf
> mbb12.mf mbbcrklo.mf mbbhebma.mf mbbromxl.mf mbbx7.mf
> mbb17.mf mbbcrkup.mf mbbhebrw.mf mbbromxu.mf mbbx8.mf
> mbb5.mf mbbdigit.mf mbbhebvw.mf mbbsc10.mf mbbx9.mf
> mbb6.mf mbbdrivr.mf mbbi10.mf mbbsl10.mf mbbxbold.mf
> mbb7.mf mbbextra.mf mbblight.mf mbbsmcdr.mf
> mbb8.mf mbbgr10.mf mbbpunct.mf mbbsymbl.mf
> mbb9.mf mbbgrkdr.mf mbbr10.mf mbbx10.mf
> mbbaccnt.mf mbbgrklo.mf mbbrbx10.mf mbbx12.mf
> doncarvel:~/downloads/mbboard$ ls texinputs
> mbboard.dcl mbboard.sty mbboard.tex mbbtest.tex testmac.tex
>
> The above shows the missing file mbboard.sty but I don’t know what
> to do with all the above.
>
> Suggestions?
>

> don green dragon

> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Dr Alan Litchfield
AlphaByte
PO Box 1941, Auckland, 1140
New Zealand
http://www.alphabyte.co.nz

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Installing mbboard

Michael Sharpe

On Dec 4, 2013, at 6:24 PM, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Somewhere I read about this font program `mbboard’ which is a BlackBoard type of font but has both lowercase characters and digits in addition to uppercase characters. Currently I have available a BlackBoard font but it only provides uppercase letters.
>
> Since I’m not sure which provides which here is the collection of packages that I have in my prelude:
>
> \usepackage{amssymb} % allows AMS symbols -- ESSENTIAL
> \usepackage{latexsym} % allows LaTeX symbols
> \usepackage{amsfonts} % allows AMS fonts
> %\usepackage{eucal} % experimental -- may not need [mathscr] option below
> \usepackage[mathscr]{eucal} % use \mathcal & \mathscr fonts -- CALligraphic & SCRipt
> % \mathscr{...} ignores lowercase and digits
> % \mathcal{...} transforms lowercase and digits into garbage
> \usepackage{mathrsfs} % allows nice math script characters -- if not included, then the call
> % \mathscr{ABC} produces  Calligraphic-like chars too similar
> % to those produced by \mathcal{ABC}. Lowercase & digits ignored
> \usepackage{mathabx} % allows use of \dotseq, \coloneq, \rightsquigarrow
> \usepackage{amscd} % allows Commutative Diagrams
> %\usepackage{amsxtra} % allows use of 'extra' math accents
> %\usepackage{mbboard} % allows blackboard chars for upper, lower, digits - NOT FOUND
>
> If I uncomment the last line and typeset, then I receive the error message:
>
> ! LaTeX Error: File `mbboard.sty' not found
>
> So I went to CTAN, found and downloaded a file «mbboard.zip"  (108 KB) which unzipped produced  a directory «mbboard" in my Downloads directory. This directory contains one file «mbboard.html" which does not tell one how to install the software and two directories:
>
> source     and      texinputs
>
> which contain
>
> doncarvel:~/downloads/mbboard$ ls
> mbboard.html source texinputs
> doncarvel:~/downloads/mbboard$  ls source
> COMP mbbbase.mf mbbgrkup.mf mbbromlg.mf mbbx17.mf
> COMPILE mbbcr10.mf mbbheb10.mf mbbromlo.mf mbbx5.mf
> mbb10.mf mbbcrkdr.mf mbbhebdr.mf mbbromup.mf mbbx6.mf
> mbb12.mf mbbcrklo.mf mbbhebma.mf mbbromxl.mf mbbx7.mf
> mbb17.mf mbbcrkup.mf mbbhebrw.mf mbbromxu.mf mbbx8.mf
> mbb5.mf mbbdigit.mf mbbhebvw.mf mbbsc10.mf mbbx9.mf
> mbb6.mf mbbdrivr.mf mbbi10.mf mbbsl10.mf mbbxbold.mf
> mbb7.mf mbbextra.mf mbblight.mf mbbsmcdr.mf
> mbb8.mf mbbgr10.mf mbbpunct.mf mbbsymbl.mf
> mbb9.mf mbbgrkdr.mf mbbr10.mf mbbx10.mf
> mbbaccnt.mf mbbgrklo.mf mbbrbx10.mf mbbx12.mf
> doncarvel:~/downloads/mbboard$ ls texinputs
> mbboard.dcl mbboard.sty mbboard.tex mbbtest.tex testmac.tex
>
> The above shows the missing file mbboard.sty but I don’t know what to do with all the above.
>
> Suggestions?
>

> don green dragon
> [hidden email]

If you want Blackboard Bold upper and lower case as well as digits, the STIX symbols are very well done and will give much better on-screen results than metafont based fonts. The easiest way to use the STIX I know of to use the STIX BB in an arbitrary choice of math fonts is to say

\usepackage[bb=boondox]{mathalfa}

after loading your math package.

Michael

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Installing mbboard

Don Green Dragon
Hello and Thanks Michael,

On 04Dec2013, at 7:43 PM, Michael Sharpe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2013, at 6:24 PM, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> <<snip>>

> If you want Blackboard Bold upper and lower case as well as digits, the STIX symbols are very well done and will give much better on-screen results than metafont based fonts. The easiest way to use the STIX I know of to use the STIX BB in an arbitrary choice of math fonts is to say
>
> \usepackage[bb=boondox]{mathalfa}
>
> after loading your math package.
>
> Michael

I do not understand you line "after loading your math package.» What package? Nonetheless, before reading your Email I had downloaded "STIXv.1.1.0-latex.zip» which when unzipped produced the directory

~/Downloads/STIXv.1.1.0-latex

Many levels down in the above directory there exists a subdirectory stix which contains a whole mess of .pfb files including

stix-mathbb.pfb, stix-mathbb-bold.pfb, stix-mathbbit-bold.pfb,  stix-mathbbit.pfb

which I guess are amongst the font files I need. Next I went into "Font Book.app» and choose

File -> Add Fonts…

then wandered down to that stix directory and chose `OPEN’. Something happened but I’m not sure what! But when «All Fonts» was selected under `Collection’ I could find NO stix entries.  None! Where did they go?

Then I tried your suggestion

\usepackage[bb=boondox]{mathalfa}

and the simple source code

\mathbb{ABC \; abc \; 012}

miraculously produced the desired glyphs. I tested the above in the plain jane template LaTeXtemplate as well as the one I normally use. I both cases the glyphs were very nice.

What I don’t understand is «How is TeXShop finding those fonts files?» Does it actually use the ones that are situated deep in the ~/Downloads directory? I vaguely recall persons on this list advising where `new’ fonts should be placed.

Is there some further step that should be undertaken, or did your magic line take care of everything? If it did, then I should be able to dump the entire directory "~/Downloads/STIXv.1.1.0-latex» — I guess.

Thanks for your continuing help.

don green dragon

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Installing mbboard

Michael Sharpe

On Dec 5, 2013, at 10:10 AM, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello and Thanks Michael,
>
> On 04Dec2013, at 7:43 PM, Michael Sharpe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 4, 2013, at 6:24 PM, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> <<snip>>
>
>> If you want Blackboard Bold upper and lower case as well as digits, the STIX symbols are very well done and will give much better on-screen results than metafont based fonts. The easiest way to use the STIX I know of to use the STIX BB in an arbitrary choice of math fonts is to say
>>
>> \usepackage[bb=boondox]{mathalfa}
>>
>> after loading your math package.
>>
>> Michael
>
> I do not understand you line "after loading your math package.» What package? Nonetheless, before reading your Email I had downloaded "STIXv.1.1.0-latex.zip» which when unzipped produced the directory
>
> ~/Downloads/STIXv.1.1.0-latex
>
> Many levels down in the above directory there exists a subdirectory stix which contains a whole mess of .pfb files including
>
> stix-mathbb.pfb, stix-mathbb-bold.pfb, stix-mathbbit-bold.pfb,  stix-mathbbit.pfb
>
> which I guess are amongst the font files I need. Next I went into "Font Book.app» and choose
>
> File -> Add Fonts…
>
> then wandered down to that stix directory and chose `OPEN’. Something happened but I’m not sure what! But when «All Fonts» was selected under `Collection’ I could find NO stix entries.  None! Where did they go?
>
> Then I tried your suggestion
>
> \usepackage[bb=boondox]{mathalfa}
>
> and the simple source code
>
> \mathbb{ABC \; abc \; 012}
>
> miraculously produced the desired glyphs. I tested the above in the plain jane template LaTeXtemplate as well as the one I normally use. I both cases the glyphs were very nice.
>
> What I don’t understand is «How is TeXShop finding those fonts files?» Does it actually use the ones that are situated deep in the ~/Downloads directory? I vaguely recall persons on this list advising where `new’ fonts should be placed.
>
> Is there some further step that should be undertaken, or did your magic line take care of everything? If it did, then I should be able to dump the entire directory "~/Downloads/STIXv.1.1.0-latex» — I guess.
>
> Thanks for your continuing help.

Assuming you have TeXLive from either 2012 or 2013, everything needed is already installed and enabled unless you specifically disabled some of the fonts that come wih TeXLive. So, in the preamble of your .tex file you'll have one or more lines that load fonts. For example,

\usepackage{mathpazo} % load palatino clone with pazo math fonts
\usepackage[bb=boondox,scr=rsfso]{mathalfa} % replace its Blackboard bold and use rsfso for \mathscr.

Effectively, TeXShop defers to TeXLive for all TeX processing, and that uses the entire elaborate TeXLive "kpathsea" (Karl's path search, cut to 8 characters) library for finding files, but only in the texmf trees. It certainly doesn't search Downloads. You may use kpsewhich to find file locations. Eg, in a Terminal window, type

/usr/texbin/kpsewhich stix-mathbb.pfb

gives you its path.

Michael

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Installing mbboard

Am 05.12.2013 um 19:10 schrieb Don Green Dragon:

> What I don’t understand is «How is TeXShop finding those fonts files?»

It doesn't. Never. (Because it's just a backend which displays text files in some preferenced font and PDF files in the fonts they use.)

> Is there some further step that should be undertaken, or did your magic line take care of everything?

Yes! First check whether your TeX Live (based) installation already has the package installed. I have for example

        category:    Package
        shortdesc:   A Scientific Times-like font with support for mathematical typesetting.
        longdesc:    XITS is a Times-like font for scientific typesetting with proper mathematical support for modern, Unicode and OpenType capable TeX engines, namely LuaTeX and XeTeX. For use with LuaLaTeX or XeLaTeX, support is available from the fontspec and unicode-math packages.
        installed:   Yes
        revision:    30782
        sizes:       src: 8269k, doc: 165k, run: 1365k
        relocatable: Yes
        cat-version: 1.107
        cat-date:    2013-05-28 19:52:13 +0200
        cat-license: ofl
        collection:  collection-fontsextra

already installed. So I don't wonder that text or math setting (miraculously) happens.

A blizzard is when it snows sideways.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Installing mbboard (changed to TikZ stuff)

Don Green Dragon
Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply, but . . . Whoa! That «Whoa» is the one you demand of your horse when you want the creature to slow down! If you don’t have a horse ….. well …...

After reading your comments, I (see below)

On 05Dec2013, at 12:47 PM, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 05.12.2013 um 19:10 schrieb Don Green Dragon:
>
>> What I don’t understand is «How is TeXShop finding those fonts files?»
>
> It doesn't. Never. (Because it's just a backend which displays text files in some preferenced font and PDF files in the fonts they use.)
>

>> Is there some further step that should be undertaken, or did your magic line take care of everything?
>
> Yes! First check whether your TeX Live (based) installation already has the package installed. I have for example
>
> category:    Package
> shortdesc:   A Scientific Times-like font with support for mathematical typesetting.
> longdesc:    XITS is a Times-like font for scientific typesetting with proper mathematical support for modern, Unicode and OpenType capable TeX engines, namely LuaTeX and XeTeX. For use with LuaLaTeX or XeLaTeX, support is available from the fontspec and unicode-math packages.
> installed:   Yes
> revision:    30782
> sizes:       src: 8269k, doc: 165k, run: 1365k
> relocatable: Yes
> cat-version: 1.107
> cat-date:    2013-05-28 19:52:13 +0200
> cat-license: ofl
> collection:  collection-fontsextra
>
> already installed. So I don't wonder that text or math setting (miraculously) happens.

First, I hauled out «TeX Live Utility.app» and quickly it filled its window with all manner of data about ‘Updates’.
Then the ‘Packages’ button was clicked. Another torrent of data, so I looked for stuff about TikZ and found 13 entries, some of which were ‘Installed’ and others were 'Not installed’, six of the latter. Then I realized that the references seemed to be with respect to . . ./texlive/2012/. . . and there was a complaint about the 2013 version NOT being installed. I thought that would have been done when I set up MacTeX2013, but maybe not. Something asked if I wanted to upgrade to TeX Live 2013 and I replied YES.

Anyway, I asked «TeX Live Utility.app» to install those six TikZ packages and I got some «Install Succeeded» messages, so that sounds good. In fact, those TikZ packages are now labelled ‘Installed’.  :—)

As to «TeX Live Utility.app» the information panel says

Modified: Tuesday, 29 October 2013 at 8:01 PM

which is fairly recent, but not today. The version number is 1.17.

However, I found a CTAN panel that offered upgrades to  TeX Live 2013 and so I downloaded some stuff from CTAN, namely «install-tl-unx.tar.gz» which on unpacking created a directory «install-fl-20131206» within which there is the Unix Executable File «install-tl» which went to work and produced:
—————————
                <<a few lines omitted>>
 <O> options:
   [X] use letter size instead of A4 by default
   [X] allow execution of restricted list of programs via \write18
   [X] create all format files
   [X] install macro/font doc tree
   [X] install macro/font source tree

 <V> set up for portable installation

Actions:
 <I> start installation to hard disk
 <H> help
 <Q> quit

Enter command: I
Installing to: /usr/local/texlive/2013
/Users/doncarvel/Downloads/install-tl-20131206/install-tl: mkdir(/usr/local/texlive/2013/) failed, goodbye: Permission denied
logout

[Process completed]
—————————————

Looks to me like I screwed up somewhere. The only entries that I made were:

(1) I responded to "Import settings form previous Tex Live installations:» with `y’

(2) After the prompt «Enter command:» I entered `I’ meaning go ahead and install.

As you can see above, the message "failed, goodbye: Permission denied, logout» appeared.

At this point, I’m so freaked out that I did a Restart. After the restart, I still cannot find any evidence that TeX Live 2103 is installed here. Went through the same process as noted above, but with respect to the prompt (1) answered `n’. That made no difference, same error message.

Anyway, in /usr/local/texlive/ I DO NOT have a 2013 folder, but I do have ones for 2011 and 2012.

My main concern is: Is TeXShop, LaTeX, and TeX still working? After a quick look at a 345 page doc, the answer appears to be Yes! :—)

No need to point out my stupidity when it comes to TeX Live, I’m quite aware to such. :—)

don green dragon

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Installing mbboard

Don Green Dragon
Hello Michael,

On 05Dec2013, at 11:41 AM, Michael Sharpe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2013, at 10:10 AM, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello and Thanks Michael,
>>
>> On 04Dec2013, at 7:43 PM, Michael Sharpe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On Dec 4, 2013, at 6:24 PM, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> <<snip>>
>>
>>> If you want Blackboard Bold upper and lower case as well as digits, the STIX symbols are very well done and will give much better on-screen results than metafont based fonts. The easiest way to use the STIX I know of to use the STIX BB in an arbitrary choice of math fonts is to say
>>>
>>> \usepackage[bb=boondox]{mathalfa}
>>>
>>> after loading your math package.
>>>
>>> Michael
>>
>> I do not understand you line "after loading your math package.» What package? Nonetheless, before reading your Email I had downloaded "STIXv.1.1.0-latex.zip» which when unzipped produced the directory
>>
>> ~/Downloads/STIXv.1.1.0-latex
>>
>> Many levels down in the above directory there exists a subdirectory stix which contains a whole mess of .pfb files including
>>
>> stix-mathbb.pfb, stix-mathbb-bold.pfb, stix-mathbbit-bold.pfb,  stix-mathbbit.pfb
>>
>> which I guess are amongst the font files I need. Next I went into "Font Book.app» and choose
>>
>> File -> Add Fonts…
>>
>> then wandered down to that stix directory and chose `OPEN’. Something happened but I’m not sure what! But when «All Fonts» was selected under `Collection’ I could find NO stix entries.  None! Where did they go?
>>
>> Then I tried your suggestion
>>
>> \usepackage[bb=boondox]{mathalfa}
>>
>> and the simple source code
>>
>> \mathbb{ABC \; abc \; 012}
>>
>> miraculously produced the desired glyphs. I tested the above in the plain jane template LaTeXtemplate as well as the one I normally use. I both cases the glyphs were very nice.
>>
>> What I don’t understand is «How is TeXShop finding those fonts files?» Does it actually use the ones that are situated deep in the ~/Downloads directory? I vaguely recall persons on this list advising where `new’ fonts should be placed.
>>
>> Is there some further step that should be undertaken, or did your magic line take care of everything? If it did, then I should be able to dump the entire directory "~/Downloads/STIXv.1.1.0-latex» — I guess.
>
> Assuming you have TeXLive from either 2012 or 2013, everything needed is already installed and enabled unless you specifically disabled some of the fonts that come wih TeXLive.

I have TeXLive 2012 but not 2013, as noted in my reply to Pete. I DON’T mess around with the fonts unless someone explains «how to!».

> So, in the preamble of your .tex file you'll have one or more lines that load fonts. For example,

> \usepackage{mathpazo} % load palatino clone with pazo math fonts
> \usepackage[bb=boondox,scr=rsfso]{mathalfa} % replace its Blackboard bold and use rsfso for \mathscr.

Well . . . I have a whole bunch, but I was astonished that the {mathalfa} package gave me the new BlackBoard font.  To check that my download of "STIXv.1.1.0-latex.zip» was not needed, I deleted the directory "STIXv.1.1.0-latex» and the new BlackBoard font works fine. Wondering why you knew all this font stuff, I did

doncarvel:~$ texdoc mathalfa

and now I know.  :—)  Great work, thank you!

> Effectively, TeXShop defers to TeXLive for all TeX processing, and that uses the entire elaborate TeXLive "kpathsea" (Karl's path search, cut to 8 characters) library for finding files, but only in the texmf trees. It certainly doesn't search Downloads. You may use kpsewhich to find file locations. Eg, in a Terminal window, type
>
> /usr/texbin/kpsewhich stix-mathbb.pfb

So, that’s what the `k’ in «kpathsea» is from!  :—)  Here I get

doncarvel:~$ /usr/texbin/kpsewhich stix-mathbb.pfb
doncarvel:~$

Must have a look at mathalfa.pdf!  ;—)

don green dragon

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Installing mbboard (changed to TikZ stuff)

Install-tl-unx.tar.gz should be left to UNIX users, you'll be better off with MacTeX. Just get and install it! And if you can read documentation during the installation you might notice a hint of the TeX Live Preference Pane.

It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Installing mbboard (changed to TikZ stuff)

Victor Ivrii

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 5:17 AM, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> wrote:
Install-tl-unx.tar.gz should be left to UNIX users, you'll be better off with MacTeX. Just get and install it! And if you can read documentation during the installation you might notice a hint of the TeX Live Preference Pane.

While I definitely believe that Mac users are way better using MacTeX rather than generic UNIX installer, I would consider Mac users as a special group of UNIX users (in contrast to generic UNIX users) rather than non-UNIX users.

Indeed, TeXLive and MacTeX comes with many shell executables which do not have (at least at the moment) Mac-GUI. F.e. pdfcrop. The trouble with many MacTeX users currently is that they do not consider themselves as UNIX users and they truly believe that TeXShop = TeX (as many Windows users believe that WinEdit = TeX).

PS. I know, Peter, that you know better than this.

Victor

Victor Ivrii

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Installing mbboard (changed to TikZ stuff)

Peter Dyballa

Am 07.12.2013 um 11:46 schrieb Victor Ivrii:

> The trouble with many
> MacTeX users currently is that they do not consider themselves as UNIX
> users

And I thought particularly at texmf.cnf. The version installed via using install-tl-unx.tar.gz does not set ~/Library/texmf as personal search path. And this can produce some trouble when users of such an installation report failures here.

Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
                                – Georges W. Bush

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Dec 6, 2013, at 7:53 PM, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> First, I hauled out «TeX Live Utility.app» and quickly it filled its window with all manner of data about ‘Updates’.
> Then the ‘Packages’ button was clicked. Another torrent of data, so I looked for stuff about TikZ and found 13 entries, some of which were ‘Installed’ and others were 'Not installed’, six of the latter. Then I realized that the references seemed to be with respect to . . ./texlive/2012/. . . and there was a complaint about the 2013 version NOT being installed. I thought that would have been done when I set up MacTeX2013, but maybe not. Something asked if I wanted to upgrade to TeX Live 2013 and I replied YES.

Howdy,

You can no longer update TeX Live 2012 using TeX Live Utility (or tlmgr). So, if there were updates they went to TeX Live 2013.

> Anyway, I asked «TeX Live Utility.app» to install those six TikZ packages and I got some «Install Succeeded» messages, so that sounds good. In fact, those TikZ packages are now labelled ‘Installed’.  :—)
>
> As to «TeX Live Utility.app» the information panel says
>
> Modified: Tuesday, 29 October 2013 at 8:01 PM
>
> which is fairly recent, but not today. The version number is 1.17.

That's the most recent version.

That document is also for TeX Live 2013.

> However, I found a CTAN panel that offered upgrades to  TeX Live 2013 and so I downloaded some stuff from CTAN, namely «install-tl-unx.tar.gz» which on unpacking created a directory «install-fl-20131206» within which there is the Unix Executable File «install-tl» which went to work and produced:
> —————————
> <<a few lines omitted>>
> <O> options:
>   [X] use letter size instead of A4 by default
>   [X] allow execution of restricted list of programs via \write18
>   [X] create all format files
>   [X] install macro/font doc tree
>   [X] install macro/font source tree
>
> <V> set up for portable installation
>
> Actions:
> <I> start installation to hard disk
> <H> help
> <Q> quit
>
> Enter command: I
> Installing to: /usr/local/texlive/2013
> /Users/doncarvel/Downloads/install-tl-20131206/install-tl: mkdir(/usr/local/texlive/2013/) failed, goodbye: Permission denied
> logout
>
> [Process completed]

Oh no! Please don't automatically install stuff!!!! You have now installed a TeX Live 2013 but not all the auxiliary stuff that MacTeX installs so that you don't have to set up PATH variables, etc.

> —————————————
>
> Looks to me like I screwed up somewhere. The only entries that I made were:
>
> (1) I responded to "Import settings form previous Tex Live installations:» with `y’
>
> (2) After the prompt «Enter command:» I entered `I’ meaning go ahead and install.
>
> As you can see above, the message "failed, goodbye: Permission denied, logout» appeared.
>
> At this point, I’m so freaked out that I did a Restart. After the restart, I still cannot find any evidence that TeX Live 2103 is installed here. Went through the same process as noted above, but with respect to the prompt (1) answered `n’. That made no difference, same error message.

``Freaking'' usually leads to disaster since things are left in a completely unknown state.

> Anyway, in /usr/local/texlive/ I DO NOT have a 2013 folder, but I do have ones for 2011 and 2012.
>
> My main concern is: Is TeXShop, LaTeX, and TeX still working? After a quick look at a 345 page doc, the answer appears to be Yes! :—)

Yes... but which ones?

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Installing mbboard (changed to TikZ stuff)

Don Green Dragon
Hello Pete,

On 07Dec2013, at 3:17 AM, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Install-tl-unx.tar.gz should be left to UNIX users,

Done! Thanks for the suggestion.

> you'll be better off with MacTeX. Just get and install it!

Had already done that , but I did the install of MacTeX, 2013 version, again and upon completion I can clearly see that TeXLive 2013 is in the right places. Eventually the installation went from TeXLive 1.13 to 1.17, so I’m up to date.

Sure is easy when you get good advice! Thanks!

don green dragon

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Installing mbboard (changed to TikZ stuff)

Don Green Dragon
Hi Herb,

Well, based primarily on what Pete advised, I think I’ve been able — «to stumble» would be more accurate — to update TeXLive to version 1.17, which, as you point out below, is the latest version. At least when the window

TeX Live Utility.app info

guy appears, it claims that the version is 1.17.

> On Dec 6, 2013, at 7:53 PM, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> First, I hauled out «TeX Live Utility.app» and quickly it filled its window with all manner of data about ‘Updates’.
>> Then the ‘Packages’ button was clicked. Another torrent of data, so I looked for stuff about TikZ and found 13 entries, some of which were ‘Installed’ and others were 'Not installed’, six of the latter. Then I realized that the references seemed to be with respect to . . ./texlive/2012/. . . and there was a complaint about the 2013 version NOT being installed. I thought that would have been done when I set up MacTeX2013, but maybe not. Something asked if I wanted to upgrade to TeX Live 2013 and I replied YES.
>>

> Howdy,
>
> You can no longer update TeX Live 2012 using TeX Live Utility (or tlmgr). So, if there were updates they went to TeX Live 2013.
>
>> Anyway, I asked «TeX Live Utility.app» to install those six TikZ packages and I got some «Install Succeeded» messages, so that sounds good. In fact, those TikZ packages are now labelled ‘Installed’.  :—)
>>
>> As to «TeX Live Utility.app» the information panel says
>>
>> Modified: Tuesday, 29 October 2013 at 8:01 PM
>>
>> which is fairly recent, but not today. The version number is 1.17.
>>

> That's the most recent version.

and it appears that I have it now.

> That document is also for TeX Live 2013.

Did not know that. The best confirmation that I have — maybe!!! — is the «What is installed.pdf» file located in

/Applications/TeX/

which explicitly lists TeXLive-2013 as one of the sub packages that will be installed in «a default installation».

<<snip>>

> Oh no! Please don't automatically install stuff!!!! You have now installed a TeX Live 2013 but not all the auxiliary stuff that MacTeX installs so that you don't have to set up PATH variables, etc

I realize that it must be frustrating as hell to deal with people as uninformed as I about the details of TeX installations, but …

The ‘old’ TeX Live Utility  advised me that I was out of date and would I like to update. Upon replying YES I was taken to a site where various options for updating to TeX Live 2013 were offered. So I chose badly! If I had been aware of Pete’s advice, then I simply would have installed MacTex 2013 again. If I had been wiser, I would have chose more wisely.   :—)

>> <<snip>>
>> At this point, I’m so freaked out that I did a Restart. After the restart, I still cannot find any evidence that TeX Live 2103 is installed here. Went through the same process as noted above, but with respect to the prompt (1) answered `n’. That made no difference, same error message.
>>

> ``Freaking'' usually leads to disaster since things are left in a completely unknown state.

I was the entity that was freaked out, the iMac, TeX and all appeared quite happy!

>> Anyway, in /usr/local/texlive/ I DO NOT have a 2013 folder, but I do have ones for 2011 and 2012.
>>
>> My main concern is: Is TeXShop, LaTeX, and TeX still working? After a quick look at a 345 page doc, the answer appears to be Yes! :—)
>
> Yes... but which ones?

TeXShop is version 3.26, Operating System is Mavericks 10.9, and I assume that the versions of LaTeX and TeX would be those installed via that MacTeX2013.pkg installation, but I don’t know that.

I apologize to you and to others for taking up so much space, to solve something that had a simple solution. But for me, the solution was neither simple nor obvious.

don green dragon

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Dec 9, 2013, at 12:18 PM, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Pete,
>

> On 07Dec2013, at 3:17 AM, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Install-tl-unx.tar.gz should be left to UNIX users,
>
> Done! Thanks for the suggestion.
>

>> you'll be better off with MacTeX. Just get and install it!
>
> Had already done that , but I did the install of MacTeX, 2013 version, again and upon completion I can clearly see that TeXLive 2013 is in the right places. Eventually the installation went from TeXLive 1.13 to 1.17, so I’m up to date.
>
> Sure is easy when you get good advice! Thanks!
>
> don green dragon

Surely you mean TeX Live Utility 1.17?

I do believe you have been making life complicated for yourself. Hopefully things will run more smoothly now.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Installing mbboard (changed to TikZ stuff)

Adam R. Maxwell

> On Dec 9, 2013, at 11:09, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:

(iPhone attribution is broken…I think Herb wrote this)

> You can no longer update TeX Live 2012 using TeX Live Utility (or tlmgr). So, if there were updates they went to TeX Live 2013.

I didn't realize there was anything related to TLU in this thread, so haven't followed along. However, please note that you _can_ update TL 2012 to its final/frozen state with TLU. If I find an old TL version, you get the appropriate archival mirror for it.

Adam

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Installing mbboard (changed to TikZ stuff)

Axel Kielhorn-2

Am 09.12.2013 um 20:35 schrieb Adam R. Maxwell:

>> On Dec 9, 2013, at 11:09, Don Green Dragon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> You can no longer update TeX Live 2012 using TeX Live Utility (or tlmgr). So, if there were updates they went to TeX Live 2013.
>
> I didn't realize there was anything related to TLU in this thread, so haven't followed along. However, please note that you _can_ update TL 2012 to its final/frozen state with TLU. If I find an old TL version, you get the appropriate archival mirror for it.

You can get them from TUG.

Pointing TLU to

ftp://tug.org/historic/systems/texlive/2012/tlnet-final

should work.

Axel

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Installing mbboard (changed to TikZ stuff)

Adam R. Maxwell

> On Dec 10, 2013, at 0:29, Axel Kielhorn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Pointing TLU to
>
> ftp://tug.org/historic/systems/texlive/2012/tlnet-final

Yes, TLU automatically does this for all obsolete versions.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/