Is it possible to use Arial fonts in plain TeX using TeXShop?

mrl

Is it possible to use Arial fonts in plain TeX using TeXShop?

mrl
Hi - Is it possible to use Arial fonts in plain TeX (not LaTeX) using
TeXShop?  Thanks. - Mark London

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Is it possible to use Arial fonts in plain TeX using TeXShop?

Peter Dyballa

Am 28.10.2013 um 04:22 schrieb Mark London:

> Hi - Is it possible to use Arial fonts in plain TeX (not LaTeX) using TeXShop?

Possibly… (*I* would shy away from the effort to make such an ugly font available in plain TeX.)

First you need the font files. You might need to convert them into a format that TeX understands, can handle.

Second you would need to create TFM files from the fonts.

Third you would need to write a possible extension for TeX that would allow it use Arial font files in PostScript, TrueType, or OpenType format.

Fourth you would need to change the plain TeX format file that Arial is used as text font instead of Computer Modern.

Or do you want to use a different font, Arial, in TeXShop only to *display* the plain TeX source code?

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Is it possible to use Arial fonts in plain TeX using TeXShop?

Alan Munn-2
If you’re willing to use XeTeX, it’s quite simple:

(Compile with plain XeTeX engine:)

\font\arial="Arial"
\arial Some text in Arial
\bye

See the xetex documentation for more details on font selection.

Alternatively there are the urw-arial fonts which can be installed by doing:

sudo getnonfreefonts-sys

in the terminal.

Alan

On Oct 28, 2013, at 5:57 AM, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 28.10.2013 um 04:22 schrieb Mark London:
>
>> Hi - Is it possible to use Arial fonts in plain TeX (not LaTeX) using TeXShop?
>
> Possibly… (*I* would shy away from the effort to make such an ugly font available in plain TeX.)
>
> First you need the font files. You might need to convert them into a format that TeX understands, can handle.
>
> Second you would need to create TFM files from the fonts.
>
> Third you would need to write a possible extension for TeX that would allow it use Arial font files in PostScript, TrueType, or OpenType format.
>
> Fourth you would need to change the plain TeX format file that Arial is used as text font instead of Computer Modern.
>

> Or do you want to use a different font, Arial, in TeXShop only to *display* the plain TeX source code?
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete
>
> Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Alan Munn

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Am 28.10.2013 um 15:06 schrieb Alan Munn:

> Alternatively there are the urw-arial fonts which can be installed by doing:

Possibly for use in LaTeX…

You can never know too little of what is not worth knowing at all.
                        – Anon.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Oct 28, 2013, at 10:29 AM, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 28.10.2013 um 15:06 schrieb Alan Munn:
>
>> Alternatively there are the urw-arial fonts which can be installed by doing:
>
> Possibly for use in LaTeX…

What does this have to do with LaTeX?  Assuming you have installed the urw-arial fonts, you can use the following with Plain TeX (not LaTeX, not XeTeX).

\font\arial=ua1r8r at 10pt
\arial Some text
\bye

Alan

--
Alan Munn

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Is it possible to use Arial fonts in plain TeX using TeXShop?

juan tolosa
How do you install the urv-arial fonts for use with plain TeX?
Thanks
      Juan

On Oct 28, 2013, at 5:06 PM, Alan Munn wrote:

\font\arial=ua1r8r at 10pt
\arial Some text
\bye

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Is it possible to use Arial fonts in plain TeX using TeXShop?

juan tolosa
Sorry. Ignore my question.
It seems I have ignored the rest of the discussion.
Juan

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Oct 28, 2013, at 11:19 PM, juan tolosa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How do you install the urv-arial fonts for use with plain TeX?

Open an Terminal window and get the getnonfreefonts script from CTAN using curl:

curl -O http://tug.org/fonts/getnonfreefonts/install-getnonfreefonts

then run the install script as admin:

sudo texlua install-getnonfreefonts

Now you have a script installed that can install the fonts for you.

The available fonts are:

arial-urw      Arial (URW)
classico       Classico (URW)
dayroman       DayRoman (Apostrophiclabs)
eurofont       Euro symbols (Adobe)
garamond       GaramondNo8 (URW)
garamondx      GaramondNo8 Expert (Michael Sharpe)
lettergothic   LetterGothic (URW)
luximono       LuxiMono (Bigelow & Holmes)
vntex-nonfree  VnTeX nonfree (Han The Thanh)
webomints      Webomints (Galapagos Design Group)

If you want to install all the fonts you can do:

sudo getnonfreefonts-sys —all

Or alternatively, if you just want to install arial-urw then you can do:

sudo getnonfreefonts-sys arial-urw

The fonts will be installed in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts

Alan

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Am 28.10.2013 um 22:06 schrieb Alan Munn:

> What does this have to do with LaTeX?  Assuming you have installed the urw-arial fonts, you can use the following with Plain TeX (not LaTeX, not XeTeX).
>
> \font\arial=ua1r8r at 10pt
> \arial Some text
> \bye

You would also need to redefine "automatic" font selections for footnotes, headers, … (Therefore I recommended to build an own format.)

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/