LaTeXit and Keynote 6

Chris Goedde-3
Hi all,

Since upgrading to 10.9 and Keynote 6, I can’t drag and drop from LaTeXit to Keynote (using PDF as the format). This is on two different machines. If I drag first to the desktop, then to Keynote, it works, but straight drag doesn’t. Keynote doesn’t seem to recognize the snippet as a pdf. Are other people seeing this? Any suggestions for a workaround/fix?

I had this same issue a few versions ago with OmniGraffle, but the Omni people fixed it in an update.

Chris

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: LaTeXit and Keynote 6

Herbert Schulz

On Nov 6, 2013, at 1:22 PM, Chris Goedde <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Since upgrading to 10.9 and Keynote 6, I can’t drag and drop from LaTeXit to Keynote (using PDF as the format). This is on two different machines. If I drag first to the desktop, then to Keynote, it works, but straight drag doesn’t. Keynote doesn’t seem to recognize the snippet as a pdf. Are other people seeing this? Any suggestions for a workaround/fix?
>
> I had this same issue a few versions ago with OmniGraffle, but the Omni people fixed it in an update.
>
> Chris

Howdy,

At lest there is a workaround! I noticed that when I drag to the Desktop the little `Copy' +sign follows but it disappears if I cross into the slide I edit. Let's see if Apple can update as fast as the Omni group!

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: LaTeXit and Keynote 6

François Chaplais-3
some features have been left out in the upgrade process of iWork. Some of them are going to be re-implemented in the near future:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6049?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
HTH
Le 6 nov. 2013 à 20:46, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On Nov 6, 2013, at 1:22 PM, Chris Goedde <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Since upgrading to 10.9 and Keynote 6, I can’t drag and drop from LaTeXit to Keynote (using PDF as the format). This is on two different machines. If I drag first to the desktop, then to Keynote, it works, but straight drag doesn’t. Keynote doesn’t seem to recognize the snippet as a pdf. Are other people seeing this? Any suggestions for a workaround/fix?
>>
>> I had this same issue a few versions ago with OmniGraffle, but the Omni people fixed it in an update.
>>
>> Chris
>
> Howdy,
>
> At lest there is a workaround! I noticed that when I drag to the Desktop the little `Copy' +sign follows but it disappears if I cross into the slide I edit. Let's see if Apple can update as fast as the Omni group!

> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: LaTeXit and Keynote 6

Herbert Schulz

On Nov 6, 2013, at 2:16 PM, François Chaplais <[hidden email]> wrote:

> some features have been left out in the upgrade process of iWork. Some of them are going to be re-implemented in the near future:
> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6049?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
> HTH
> Le 6 nov. 2013 à 20:46, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>

>> On Nov 6, 2013, at 1:22 PM, Chris Goedde <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Since upgrading to 10.9 and Keynote 6, I can’t drag and drop from LaTeXit to Keynote (using PDF as the format). This is on two different machines. If I drag first to the desktop, then to Keynote, it works, but straight drag doesn’t. Keynote doesn’t seem to recognize the snippet as a pdf. Are other people seeing this? Any suggestions for a workaround/fix?
>>>
>>> I had this same issue a few versions ago with OmniGraffle, but the Omni people fixed it in an update.
>>>
>>> Chris
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> At lest there is a workaround! I noticed that when I drag to the Desktop the little `Copy' +sign follows but it disappears if I cross into the slide I edit. Let's see if Apple can update as fast as the Omni group!
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

I didn't see anything in that document that was directly relevant to the problem of drag and drop pdf from LaTeXiT to Keynote but maybe someone else can.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: LaTeXit and Keynote 6

On Nov 6, 2013, at 2:16 PM, François Chaplais <[hidden email]> wrote:

> some features have been left out in the upgrade process of iWork. Some of them are going to be re-implemented in the near future:
> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6049?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
> HTH
> Le 6 nov. 2013 à 20:46, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Howdy,

In addition this looks like a troubling trend at Apple. I DON'T want my Mac to be an iPad with a real keyboard and no touchscreen! OS X is much more powerful that iOS and allows you to do many things that aren't available under iOS and the apps shold take advantage of that. I.e., iPad apps have to be ``dumbed down'' on that platform and you shouldn't then dumb down those apps on the Mac for the sake of being ``compatible''. this kind of trend scares me.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: LaTeXit and Keynote 6

Gary L. Gray-3
On Nov 6, 2013, at 2:22 PM, Chris Goedde <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since upgrading to 10.9 and Keynote 6, I can’t drag and drop from LaTeXit to Keynote (using PDF as the format). This is on two different machines. If I drag first to the desktop, then to Keynote, it works, but straight drag doesn’t. Keynote doesn’t seem to recognize the snippet as a pdf. Are other people seeing this? Any suggestions for a workaround/fix?
>
> I had this same issue a few versions ago with OmniGraffle, but the Omni people fixed it in an update.

I see that now too and it just plain sucks. I like the new Keynote, but this is going to be a problem.

<shaking fist> Damn you Apple! </shaking fist>

Gary

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: LaTeXit and Keynote 6

Am 07.11.2013 um 00:22 schrieb Herbert Schulz:

> this kind of trend scares me.

IMO it started with Lion. (Therefore I am still with Snow Leopard.)

Upgraded, adj.:
        Didn't work the first time.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: LaTeXit and Keynote 6

Alan Litchfield

On 7/11/13 1:11 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 07.11.2013 um 00:22 schrieb Herbert Schulz:
>
>> this kind of trend scares me.
> IMO it started with Lion. (Therefore I am still with Snow Leopard.)

Back to X Windows, maybe.

Alan

--
Dr Alan Litchfield
AlphaByte

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: LaTeXit and Keynote 6

Chris Goedde-3
On Nov 6, 2013, at 5:23 PM, Gary L. Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2013, at 2:22 PM, Chris Goedde <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Since upgrading to 10.9 and Keynote 6, I can’t drag and drop from LaTeXit to Keynote (using PDF as the format). This is on two different machines. If I drag first to the desktop, then to Keynote, it works, but straight drag doesn’t. Keynote doesn’t seem to recognize the snippet as a pdf. Are other people seeing this? Any suggestions for a workaround/fix?
>>
>> I had this same issue a few versions ago with OmniGraffle, but the Omni people fixed it in an update.
>
> I see that now too and it just plain sucks. I like the new Keynote, but this is going to be a problem.
>
> <shaking fist> Damn you Apple! </shaking fist>

What puzzles me is that Keynote properly recognizes the snippet as a PDF if you drag to the desktop first, but not if you drag straight from LaTeXit. Also, if you change the type of the snippet from PDF to tiff or jpeg, dragging straight from LaTeXit to Keynote works. So it’s not as if drag-and-drop to Keynote 6 doesn’t ever work, it’s just broken in this one case. This makes me think that Keynote is not properly recognizing the type of the snippet when dragged straight from LaTeXit. I wonder if there’s a fix that could be applied to LaTeXit.

BTW, copy and paste (cmd-c, cmd-v) works directly from LaTeXit to Keynote 6, so that’s probably a better workaround than dragging to the desktop.

Chris

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: LaTeXit and Keynote 6

Gary L. Gray-3
On Nov 7, 2013, at 11:56 AM, Chris Goedde <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2013, at 5:23 PM, Gary L. Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 6, 2013, at 2:22 PM, Chris Goedde <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Since upgrading to 10.9 and Keynote 6, I can’t drag and drop from LaTeXit to Keynote (using PDF as the format). This is on two different machines. If I drag first to the desktop, then to Keynote, it works, but straight drag doesn’t. Keynote doesn’t seem to recognize the snippet as a pdf. Are other people seeing this? Any suggestions for a workaround/fix?
>>>
>>> I had this same issue a few versions ago with OmniGraffle, but the Omni people fixed it in an update.
>>
>> I see that now too and it just plain sucks. I like the new Keynote, but this is going to be a problem.
>>
>> <shaking fist> Damn you Apple! </shaking fist>
>
> What puzzles me is that Keynote properly recognizes the snippet as a PDF if you drag to the desktop first, but not if you drag straight from LaTeXit. Also, if you change the type of the snippet from PDF to tiff or jpeg, dragging straight from LaTeXit to Keynote works. So it’s not as if drag-and-drop to Keynote 6 doesn’t ever work, it’s just broken in this one case. This makes me think that Keynote is not properly recognizing the type of the snippet when dragged straight from LaTeXit. I wonder if there’s a fix that could be applied to LaTeXit.
>
> BTW, copy and paste (cmd-c, cmd-v) works directly from LaTeXit to Keynote 6, so that’s probably a better workaround than dragging to the desktop.

Great discovery. The ability to copy and paste, while not as convenient, will save me a ton of time.

Gary

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: LaTeXit and Keynote 6

Peter Dyballa

Am 07.11.2013 um 17:59 schrieb Gary L. Gray:

> The ability to copy and paste, while not as convenient, will save me a ton of time.

?? It saves you time and energy when you just enter ⌘-C and ⌘-V at start and end positions instead of constantly (an interruption and all effort is lost) having to press keys and such between them!

It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/