[Mac OS X TeX] A simple question and a comment

[Mac OS X TeX] A simple question and a comment

Johann Beda-3

On 2001/05/03, Gary L. Gray wrote:
>On 05/03/2001 at 1:55 PM -0500, Tom Kiffe wrote:
>>The default installation of teTeX places the teTeX folder in
>>/usr/local/teTeX.
>>I placed the teTeX folder in /Local/Library and then did a symlink from
>>/Local/Library/teTeX to /usr/local/teTeX.
>>If any one is interested I can post the details of what I did and show
>>you how
>>to compile and install teTeX from the sources on CTAN.
>That would be wonderful! Please do give us (detailed :-) )
>instructions regarding teTeX, pdftex, and anything else we might find
>to be useful.

        All of the compilation and sources stuff is beyond me and I await
Tom's detailed instructions, but making a "symlink" is relatively straight
forward using "ln -s" from the terminal.  Does it need to be done as "root"
- probably needed if we want it to work for all users at all times.  If so,
the following should work:

sudo tshrc
ln -s /usr/local/teTeX /Local/Library/teTeX

The above creates a symbolic link called  /Local/Library/teTeX  linked to
the actual directory /usr/local/teTeX.  If the actual directory is at
/usr/local/teTeX you can reverse the "ln -s" command to make the symbolic
link at /Local/Library/teTeX

sudo tshrc
ln -s /Local/Library/teTeX /usr/local/teTeX

--
* johann beda   <XNSName: =j-beda> <http://pobox.com/~j-beda/>   *

[Mac OS X TeX] Updated CMacTeX for OS X

Thomas Kiffe

I have completely revamped my CMacTeX distribution for OS X. The original beta
release was intended for users who already had my programs installed in Mac OS
8 or 9 and wanted Carbon versions of the programs for OS X. Anyone who had
installed TeXShop and teTeX on OS X faced a formidable task of trying to
install CMacTeX in OS 9 before even attempting to run it in OS X.

The new CMacTeX uses the texmf tree from teTeX, so the distribution of
CMacTeX for OS X is now only one archive file about 7 MB in size. All of
the TeX support files needed by CMacTeX are included in a local texmf
folder. The actual installation is quite simple.

CMacTeX is designed to work with BBEdit 6.1, Acrobat Reader 5.0,
and MacGhostView, a Postscript viewer for OS X which does not use the
X Window System. Macdvi is a dvi viewer which can be used with teTeX
for viewing dvi files. If a dvi file has been generated with the scrltx
package, an option-click in a paragraph in a displayed page generates
an Apple Event which is sent to BBEdit, asking it to open the appropriate
source at the designated paragraph. CMacTeX includes the latest releases of dvips (5.86d) and pdftex (0.14h), both of which handle partial font embedding much better than earlier releases.

To download this update, go to the OS X section of the CMacTeX Home Page
at http://www.kiffe.com/cmactex.html. The download page contains complete
installation instructions. Be sure to download the CMacTeX User's Guide as
well. The MacGhostView Home Page is http://www.kiffe.com/macghostview.html.

Tom Kiffe

[Mac OS X TeX] Updated CMacTeX for OS X

michael murray-6

<x-flowed>>I have completely revamped my CMacTeX distribution for OS X. The original beta

>release was intended for users who already had my programs installed in Mac OS
>8 or 9 and wanted Carbon versions of the programs for OS X. Anyone who had
>installed TeXShop and teTeX on OS X faced a formidable task of trying to
>install CMacTeX in OS 9 before even attempting to run it in OS X.
>
>The new CMacTeX uses the texmf tree from teTeX, so the distribution of
>CMacTeX for OS X is now only one archive file about 7 MB in size. All of
>the TeX support files needed by CMacTeX are included in a local texmf
>folder. The actual installation is quite simple.
>
>CMacTeX is designed to work with BBEdit 6.1, Acrobat Reader 5.0,
>and MacGhostView, a Postscript viewer for OS X which does not use the
>X Window System. Macdvi is a dvi viewer which can be used with teTeX
>for viewing dvi files. If a dvi file has been generated with the scrltx
>package, an option-click in a paragraph in a displayed page generates
>an Apple Event which is sent to BBEdit, asking it to open the appropriate
>source at the designated paragraph. CMacTeX includes the latest
>releases of dvips (5.86d) and pdftex (0.14h), both of which handle
>partial font embedding much better than earlier releases.
>
>To download this update, go to the OS X section of the CMacTeX Home Page
>at http://www.kiffe.com/cmactex.html. The download page contains complete
>installation instructions. Be sure to download the CMacTeX User's Guide as
>well. The MacGhostView Home Page is http://www.kiffe.com/macghostview.html.
>
>Tom Kiffe

Ah this sounds good.  Is it possible to have a second texmf folder ? Following
instructions from Dick Koch I modified my

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

so it said

TEXMF = {~/Library/texmf,!!$TEXMFMAIN}

This way I can keep my own things in my own directory
and leave the teTeX installation `clean' (besides the change
to texmf.cnf of course).

Is there a way of making CMacTeX look at both the
main teTeX texmf and my own one?

Thanks - Michael

Assoc/Prof Michael Murray
Department of Pure Mathematics       Fax: 61+ 8 8303
3696
University of Adelaide             Phone: 61+ 8 8303 4174
Australia  5005      Email: [hidden email]
Home Page: http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray
PGP public key:
http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray/pgp.txt

[Mac OS X TeX] Updated CMacTeX for OS X

Arun Mangalam

<x-flowed>Mr. Kiffe,

I was wondering if you have the instructions to compile tetex. Was it
difficult to set-up?

- Arun

[Mac OS X TeX] Updated CMacTeX for OS X

Arthur E. Ogus

<x-flowed>Tetex is available from sourceforge as a fink install.
--
Arthur Ogus

[Mac OS X TeX] Updated CMacTeX for OS X

Arun Mangalam

<x-flowed>i would like to be able to compile the most up-to-date version of tetex
now and in the future. Is fink a package-manager that can compile the
latest version and install it? I'm sorry, I'm don't know too much about
fink. Thank you for any information.

On Monday, May 7, 2001, at 01:31 PM, Arthur Ogus wrote:

> Tetex is available from sourceforge as a fink install.
> -- Arthur Ogus

> For additional HELP, send email to <[hidden email]> with
> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.

[Mac OS X TeX] EM (European Modern fonts)

Nicolas Martignoni

<x-charset ISO-8859-1>Hello everybody,

I'm sorry to insist, but I got no answer to the question below, posted a
fortnight ago. Does really nobody use European Modern fonts ?

> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to use the EM fonts with TeXShop? I need them to have correct
> hyphenation in french  and german languages.
>
> Thanks for your answer.
Nicolas Martignoni         Voice  ++ 41 26 425 43 63
SysAdmin                   Fax    ++ 41 26 425 43 88
Coll?ge Sainte-Croix       Email  [hidden email]
Rue Saint-Exup?ry 4        WWW    http://www.cscfr.ch/
CH-1700 Fribourg                  http://www.edufr.ch/
</x-charset>