[Mac OS X TeX] Anyone using Omnigraffle and TeXShop?

[Mac OS X TeX] Anyone using Omnigraffle and TeXShop?

Fraser Speirs

Hi,

I'm using OmniGraffle to export as PDF a diagram that I need.  I then use the
following in TeXShop to import it:

\vspace{.2in}
\begin{figure}
    \centering
    \includegraphics[width=5in]{motivation/IndustryStructure}
    \caption{Structure of the UK Rail Industry. (Adapted from Strategic Rail
Authority web site www.sra.gov.uk)}
    \label{fig:1}
\end{figure}
\vspace{.2in}

the problem is that the PDF gets cut off a little at the left and bottom when
it's typeset.  The PDF appears OK in Preview.

Any ideas much appreciated.
Fraser
--
Fraser Speirs
Department of Computing Science - University of Glasgow

t: 0141 339 8855 ext.0917
e: [hidden email]  w: www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~speirsfr

[Mac OS X TeX] Anyone using Omnigraffle and TeXShop?

Brett Borden

Well, I don't know about Omnigraffle, but I ran into (apparently) the same
problem with pdf files created from Adobe Illustrator (namely, pdf image cut off
at the left and bottom when it's typeset).  In my case, I was able to "fix"
things by eliminating all of the page borders (extra white space) in Illustrator
before I saved as pdf.

---Brett

Fraser Speirs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using OmniGraffle to export as PDF a diagram that I need.  I then use the
> following in TeXShop to import it:
>
> \vspace{.2in}
> \begin{figure}
>     \centering
>     \includegraphics[width=5in]{motivation/IndustryStructure}
>     \caption{Structure of the UK Rail Industry. (Adapted from Strategic Rail
> Authority web site www.sra.gov.uk)}
>     \label{fig:1}
> \end{figure}
> \vspace{.2in}
>
> the problem is that the PDF gets cut off a little at the left and bottom when
> it's typeset.  The PDF appears OK in Preview.
>
> Any ideas much appreciated.
> Fraser
> --
> Fraser Speirs
> Department of Computing Science - University of Glasgow
> Room G161, 17 Lillybank Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ
>
> t: 0141 339 8855 ext.0917
> e: [hidden email]  w: www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~speirsfr

> For additional HELP, send email to <[hidden email]> with
> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.

[Mac OS X TeX] Anyone using Omnigraffle and TeXShop?

Oliver Hardt

<x-flowed>usually, i create eps files either from illustrator or via the printer
(save as file).  with eps files, I never had a problem.  Olli.

On Tuesday, May 8, 2001, at 07:44 AM, Brett Borden wrote:

> Well, I don't know about Omnigraffle, but I ran into (apparently) the same
> problem with pdf files created from Adobe Illustrator (namely, pdf image
> cut off
> at the left and bottom when it's typeset).  In my case, I was able to
> "fix"
> things by eliminating all of the page borders (extra white space) in
> Illustrator
> before I saved as pdf.
>
> ---Brett
>
> Fraser Speirs wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using OmniGraffle to export as PDF a diagram that I need.  I then
>> use the
>> following in TeXShop to import it:
>>
>> \vspace{.2in}
>> \begin{figure}
>>     \centering
>>     \includegraphics[width=5in]{motivation/IndustryStructure}
>>     \caption{Structure of the UK Rail Industry. (Adapted from Strategic
>> Rail
>> Authority web site www.sra.gov.uk)}
>>     \label{fig:1}
>> \end{figure}
>> \vspace{.2in}
>>
>> the problem is that the PDF gets cut off a little at the left and bottom
>> when
>> it's typeset.  The PDF appears OK in Preview.
>>
>> Any ideas much appreciated.
>> Fraser
>> --
>> Fraser Speirs
>> Department of Computing Science - University of Glasgow
>> Room G161, 17 Lillybank Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ
>>
>> t: 0141 339 8855 ext.0917
>> e: [hidden email]  w: www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~speirsfr

>> For additional HELP, send email to <[hidden email]> with
>> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
>> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
>> messages posted by third parties.
> For additional HELP, send email to <[hidden email]> with
> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.

[Mac OS X TeX] Anyone using Omnigraffle and TeXShop?

Gary L. Gray

<x-flowed>On 05/08/2001 at 7:44 AM -0700, Brett Borden wrote:

>Well, I don't know about Omnigraffle, but I ran into (apparently) the same
>problem with pdf files created from Adobe Illustrator (namely, pdf
>image cut off
>at the left and bottom when it's typeset).  In my case, I was able to "fix"
>things by eliminating all of the page borders (extra white space) in
>Illustrator
>before I saved as pdf.

A question and a comment.

How do you eliminate the extra white space in Illustrator since I
found that I was running into a similar problem. In my case, I found
that I was getting what appeared to be the entire page out of
Illustrator. I found that I was able to fix this problem by
Distilling the .eps file out of Illustrator using Acrobat. Of course
then, some gradients don't show up. Arg!

--
    Gary L. Gray
    Associate Professor

[Mac OS X TeX] Anyone using Omnigraffle and TeXShop?

Brett Borden

This was never a problem for me with eps files either.

To "resize" the image in Illustrator, I did a "select all" to get the image size
(height and width) from the floating info window.  Then I set those numbers into
file/document_setup.  This is a kludge (but it works) and I'd be interested to
have someone explain a better approach.

Brett

--

Brett Borden
Research Department, Code 4T4100D

phone: (760) 939-1417; fax: (760) 939-1409

http://www.nawcwpns.navy.mil/~bronkhor/snss/staff/brett.html

"Gary L. Gray" wrote:

> On 05/08/2001 at 7:44 AM -0700, Brett Borden wrote:
>
> >Well, I don't know about Omnigraffle, but I ran into (apparently) the same
> >problem with pdf files created from Adobe Illustrator (namely, pdf
> >image cut off
> >at the left and bottom when it's typeset).  In my case, I was able to "fix"
> >things by eliminating all of the page borders (extra white space) in
> >Illustrator
> >before I saved as pdf.
>
> A question and a comment.
>
> How do you eliminate the extra white space in Illustrator since I
> found that I was running into a similar problem. In my case, I found
> that I was getting what appeared to be the entire page out of
> Illustrator. I found that I was able to fix this problem by
> Distilling the .eps file out of Illustrator using Acrobat. Of course
> then, some gradients don't show up. Arg!
>
> --
>     Gary L. Gray
>     Associate Professor
>     Engineering Science & Mechanics
>     Penn State University
>     (814) 863-1778
>     http://www.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/

> For additional HELP, send email to <[hidden email]> with
> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.

[Mac OS X TeX] converting eps to PDF on the fly

Troy Goodson

<x-flowed>

>On 05/08/2001 at 7:43 AM -0700, Oliver Hardt wrote:
>
>>usually, i create eps files either from illustrator or via the
>>printer (save as file).  with eps files, I never had a problem.
>>Olli.
>
>Yes, but you can't include .eps files in TeXShop. Unless, of course,
>I am missing something here, which is entirely possible. :-)
>--
>    Gary L. Gray
>    Associate Professor
>    Engineering Science & Mechanics
>    Penn State University
>    (814) 863-1778
>    http://www.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/

<mailto:[hidden email]?subject=subscribe> from whence I heard
about epstopdf.sty, which allows for eps->pdf generation on the fly.
I haven't gotten it to work, yet.

<http://www.ctan.org/getfile/?filename=macros/latex/contrib/supported/oberdiek/epstopdf.sty>

% Function:  This packages adds support of handling eps images
%            to package graphic{s,x} with option `pdftex'.
%            If an eps image is detected, epstopdf is automatically
%            called to convert it to pdf format.
%
% Required:  * The program `epstopdf'.
%            * The feature `\write18' has to be enabled to get
%              the conversion via the program epstopdf work:
%              * command line option: -shell-escape
%                example: pdflatex -shell-escape test.tex
%              * configuraton file `texmf.cnf': shell_escape = 1
%
% Use:       The package is loaded after graphic{s,x}, eg:
%              \usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
%              \usepackage{epstopdf}
%            Images with extension `.eps' are now detected
%            and supported:
%            * Implicitly: \includegraphics{bild}
%              If `bild.eps' can only be found,
%              then it is converted to the file `bild.pdf',
%              that will be used by pdfTeX.
%              On the next ocurrences or on the next pdfTeX run,
%              the pdf file is already available, so the
%              conversion step is skipped.
%            * Explicitly: \includegraphics{bild.eps}
%              Each time the conversion program is called.

Of course, I also had to install ghostscript (!) to get the epstopdf
script, which wasn't exactly a walk in the park for a novice user of
Unix like myself. PSUtils was also worth installing, by the way
<http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/ajcd/psutils/index.html>.

--
Troy Goodson; Flight Path Control, Navigation, Cassini-Huygens Program
818-393-7887, M/S: 230-205