[Mac OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #1 - 04/29/01

[Mac OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #1 - 04/29/01

michael murray-6
>On 2001/05/06, TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List wrote:
>>(e.g., turning it into a moderated list or only allowing
>>postings from subscribers)
>
> I think that only allowing postings from subscribers should
>definately be done - if the email address is on the web or usenet,
>eventually spammers will start sending stuff to it.  As this presents no
>problems for regular subscribers, it seems like a worthwhile setting to use.
>

>--
>* johann beda   <XNSName: =j-beda> <http://pobox.com/~j-beda/>   *

>For additional HELP, send email to <[hidden email]> with
>"help" (no quotes) in the body.
>This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
>messages posted by third parties.

Having been involved in the setting up of the OzTeX I second this.
We found out the hard way!
The other thing thats worth doing is turning off any ability
for people to find out from the list server the list of emails.
I don't know about letterrip but majordomo has a `who' command that
can be disabled.

Michael

Assoc/Prof Michael Murray
Department of Pure Mathematics       Fax: 61+ 8 8303
3696
University of Adelaide             Phone: 61+ 8 8303 4174
Australia  5005      Email: [hidden email]
Home Page: http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray
PGP public key:
http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray/pgp.txt

[Mac OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #1 - 04/29/01

Gary L. Gray
On 05/08/2001 at 12:03 AM +0930, Michael Murray wrote:

>Having been involved in the setting up of the OzTeX I second this.
>We found out the hard way!
>The other thing thats worth doing is turning off any ability
>for people to find out from the list server the list of emails.
>I don't know about letterrip but majordomo has a `who' command that
>can be disabled.

There is a "who" command that can be enabled via an AppleScript, but
I have not enabled it. That would be a really bad one! :-)
--
    Gary L. Gray
    Associate Professor