[Mac OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #31 - 06/11/01

[Mac OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #31 - 06/11/01

Charles Bouldin

<x-flowed>>Subject: Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #30 - 06/06/01

>From: "Jenny Harrison" <[hidden email]>
>Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 18:08:43 -0700
>
>I am still looking for a tex editing program with collapsing
>outlines,  synchronicity, and flash. These are my "must-haves".  I am
>now convinced one program does not yet exist.  But it should.  Once
>you have got used to these features, they are all hard to do without.
>Collapsing outlines are especially valuable when you are composing a
>long, complex document.    The end result is a linear progression of
>symbols, but the thought

I agree, no such tex editing system exists, although pieces of it do.
Textures has synchronicity and flash, and (under MacOS 9) you can
couple it to BBEdit. The collapsing outlines are called "text
folding" in Qued/M. I've been suggesting that Bare Bones add this to
BBedit for some years, but the amount of work is substantial and they
haven't done it. Perhaps if they heard from several people on this
list?

On the subject of editors, I use the full version of BBEdit on OS X,
so I haven't looked at the new 6.1 BBEdit Lite on X...does it support
TeX syntax colorization? If so, that would seem to me to solve the
issue of a good and free editor to use with any TeX implementation on
OS X. (Unless I hear a rebuttal from the alpha cabal?)

[Mac OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #31 - 06/11/01

Christian Smith

On 6/11/01 at 8:48 PM, [hidden email] (Charles Bouldin) wrote:

> On the subject of editors, I use the full version of BBEdit on OS X,
> so I haven't looked at the new 6.1 BBEdit Lite on X...does it support
> TeX syntax colorization?

No, nor will it ever likely support syntax coloring. This is a feature
reserved for the full version of BBEdit.

--
Christian Smith  |  [hidden email]  |  http://web.barebones.com
PGP Fingerprint  -  60E5 2216 97D2 1D1A B923 F036 00A9 CEC0 D411 FA89

[Mac OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #31 - 06/11/01

Gary L. Gray

<x-flowed>On 6/11/2001 at 9:17 PM -0400, Christian Smith wrote:

>No, nor will it ever likely support syntax coloring. This is a feature
>reserved for the full version of BBEdit.

I am glad that it is only in the full version -- I like getting
features for my money. :-)

I am very happy to see that someone from Bare Bones is reading this
list and I would like to see you comment on this idea of collapsible
outlines or sections in BBEdit. If I understand this correctly, it
would work much like sections work in Mathematica in which you can
collapse a section or subsection into just its heading by
double-clicking a appropriate cell bracket. Is this correct? If so, I
would love to see this in BBEdit (I would also love to see it work
with TeXShop, but that is another story).

Best regards,
--
    Gary L. Gray
    Associate Professor

[Mac OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #31 - 06/11/01

michael murray-6

<x-flowed>>On 6/11/2001 at 9:17 PM -0400, Christian Smith wrote:

>>No, nor will it ever likely support syntax coloring. This is a feature
>>reserved for the full version of BBEdit.
>
>I am glad that it is only in the full version -- I like getting
>features for my money. :-)
>
>I am very happy to see that someone from Bare Bones is reading this
>list and I would like to see you comment on this idea of collapsible
>outlines or sections in BBEdit. If I understand this correctly, it
>would work much like sections work in Mathematica in which you can
>collapse a section or subsection into just its heading by
>double-clicking a appropriate cell bracket. Is this correct? If so,
>I would love to see this in BBEdit (I would also love to see it work
>with TeXShop, but that is another story).
>
>Best regards,
>--
>    Gary L. Gray
>    Associate Professor
>    Engineering Science & Mechanics
>    Penn State University
>    (814) 863-1778
>    http://www.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/

This would be great. It would seem with the way LaTeX enviroments
work you  could just treat every \begin and \end as a marker defining
a section.

I would also like a bit more syntax colouring like
colouring the $ signs.  But then I am an Alpha exile !

Michael
Assoc/Prof Michael Murray
Department of Pure Mathematics       Fax: 61+ 8 8303
3696
University of Adelaide             Phone: 61+ 8 8303 4174
Australia  5005      Email: [hidden email]
Home Page: http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray
PGP public key:
http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray/pgp.txt

<x-flowed>On 6/12/2001 at 11:10 AM +0930, Michael Murray wrote:

>I would also like a bit more syntax colouring like
>colouring the $ signs.  But then I am an Alpha exile !

Agreed! Those of you who would like to see this come back to BBEdit
should write them and let them know. It used to be there and they
said that some people asked them to remove syntax coloring for math
mode. I have asked a couple of times to bring it back, but apparently
I am not enough. :-)

--
    Gary L. Gray
    Associate Professor
    Engineering Science & Mechanics
    Penn State University
    (814) 863-1778
    http://www.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/

[Mac OS X TeX] BBEdit Lite 6.1 and CMacTeX

Thomas Kiffe

Since BareBones Software has released BBEdit Lite 6.1 for OS X I have revised
CMacTeX so that it works correctly with it. The BBEdit scripts released with
CMacTeX only work with the full version of BBEdit since BBEdit Lite does not
have much scripting support. The scripts have been replaced with plug-ins
which work with either version of BBEdit. I have also reorganized the various
.map files used by dvips and pdftex and have expanded the section of the
User's Guide dealing with installation and initial configuration.

The OS X version of CMacTeX can be downloaded from the OS X section of the
CMacTeX Home Page at http://www.kiffe.com/cmactex.html.

Tom Kiffe

[Mac OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #31 - 06/11/01

michael murray-6

<x-flowed>>On 6/12/2001 at 11:10 AM +0930, Michael Murray wrote:

>>I would also like a bit more syntax colouring like
>>colouring the $ signs.  But then I am an Alpha exile !
>
>Agreed! Those of you who would like to see this come back to BBEdit
>should write them and let them know. It used to be there and they
>said that some people asked them to remove syntax coloring for math
>mode. I have asked a couple of times to bring it back, but
>apparently I am not enough. :-)
>
>--

Thats strange. As it could always be a Pref like the others and if you
don't like it you set it to Black !

I'll email them.

On 6/11/01 at 9:31 PM, [hidden email] (Gary L. Gray) wrote:

> On 6/11/2001 at 9:17 PM -0400, Christian Smith wrote:
>
> >No, nor will it ever likely support syntax coloring. This is a feature
> >reserved for the full version of BBEdit.
>
> I am glad that it is only in the full version -- I like getting
> features for my money. :-)
>
> I am very happy to see that someone from Bare Bones is reading this
> list and I would like to see you comment on this idea of collapsible
> outlines or sections in BBEdit. If I understand this correctly, it
> would work much like sections work in Mathematica in which you can
> collapse a section or subsection into just its heading by
> double-clicking a appropriate cell bracket. Is this correct? If so, I
> would love to see this in BBEdit (I would also love to see it work
> with TeXShop, but that is another story).

We can't comment on future versions of BBEdit, sorry. I can say that
collapsible regions is something we've been asked for and which we may
consider for a future release. While I do read this list, if you really
want to see any specific feature in BBEdit you should send mail to
[hidden email]. This way your request will be sure to be seen,
cataloged, folded, spindled, and otherwise dealt with as appropriate ;-)

Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 11:16:21 +0200
From: Martin Bauer <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Mac OS X TeX] wish list
Cc: Martin Bauer <[hidden email]>
Sender: <[hidden email]>

<x-flowed>On Freitag, Juni 1, 2001, at 10:19  Uhr, Graham A. Niblo wrote:

> Could I add a wish for a preference setting in TeXShop that allows TeX
> documents to be saved as bundles with the pdf and log files included in
> the bundle, much as TeXtures  includes the dvi file in the resource
> fork?

i like that idea :)

> Some kind of built in versioning control would be good too, maybe the
> save dialogue could prompt to update the to include new versions
> without deleting the old if required?

i do not think that you need to re-invent versioning for each
application. for tex files which are in fact pure ascii text using cvs
works great on OS X. one could think about integrating cvs somehow into
TeXShop, but since you need at least rudimentary unix shell knowldge to
set up your local cvs repository anyways, probably you could expect
enough knowledge to do a "cvs commit" by hand once in a while.

--
shalom, martin