[Mac OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #4 - 05/02/01

[Mac OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #4 - 05/02/01

Barry Smith

I note that Textures' Synchronicity is -not- based on
TeX \specials and works with all TeX documents without requiring
any special macros - it's built into the TeX engine itself,
and works in both directions, from source -> typeset and the reverse.

Before implementing Synchronicity, we considered using TeX \special
commands to mark locations, and concluded that the results could not
meet our desires for transparency and accuracy.

As Arthur asks about "any" implementations, I note that Michael Vulis'
VTeX, Vector TeX, and (now) Visual TeX for Windows includes a very similar
facility, originally called "debugging" mode; I see now that Michael
has chosen to call it something very similiar, "synchronization".
It turns out that VTeX's debugging mode predates our Synchronicity feature,
although we were completely unaware of this work at the time we introduced
Textures 2.0 with Synchronicity.

Best regards,

Barry Smith, TeXnician
Blue Sky Research