[Mac OS X TeX] TeXShop: \footnotemark and \footnotetext behavior?

[Mac OS X TeX] TeXShop: \footnotemark and \footnotetext behavior?

Greg Starr

<x-flowed>I have a previously-correct LaTeX document that I typeset under TeXShop,
and the footnoting for the \author content isn't correct.

For example,
---
\author{G. Starr\footnotemark[1]
\and R. Lumia\footnotemark[1]
\and J. Wood\footnotemark[1]
\and Y. Liu\footnotemark[2]}

\footnotetext[1]{Professor, Mechanical Engineering}
\footnotetext[2]{Ph.D. Student, Mechanical Engineering}
---

incorrectly produces marks of "*" and "dagger" at the author names, but
the footnotes are correctly numbered 1 and 2.  Any ideas?

        --greg