[Mac OS X TeX] add styles

J.Huelsmann
Is there an easy way to add files (i.e.  -.sty or -.bst ) to the texmf
tree?
Like as user specific folder I can easy write to (no root needed) and
which is searched by the different apps (latex, bibtex and so on).
If I add files to the existing tree (as root, because of the write
permission) the apps sometimes will not find them.

--Jan Huelsmann--

[Mac OS X TeX] add styles

michael murray-6
If you are using TeXShop here are the instructions Richard Koch
sent me.  Basically you set up another texmf tree in your
own user area and you have to tell teTeX to look in there. The step
below where you edit the texmf.cnf file I did in vi -- thats easier
than moving the file in and out IF you are happy to edit in a UNIX
editor like vi.

Michael

--------

It is possible to store additional style
files, fonts, etc., in teTeX itself. But teTeX is owned by root and lives
in /usr/local/teTeX, which isn't visible except through the terminal.
Moreover, it is nice to keep this tetex structure pure so it can easily
be upgraded when later versions are introduced.

If you are just trying to load a macro, you can put it in the same
directory as your source, or include it with a full path name. But
for style files, or fonts, or any of the other kinds of tex file,
the best way is to construct a mirror image of the tetex
directory structure inside your Library folder and store your
personal files there.

---------------------

This requires one mildly tricky change in tetex, but it only has
to be done once. In terminal, type the following commands

        cd     /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c

        cp    texmf.cnf    ~

The result will be a file named "texmf.cnf" inside your home
directory. Open this file with TextEdit. Roughly 70 lines down,
you will come to the following text:

% Now, list all the texmf trees. If you have multiple trees you can
% use shell brace notation, like this:
%   TEXMF = {$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}
% The braces are necessary.  If you set VARTEXMF, you also have to
%   - list $VARTEXMF in the TEXMF definition;
%   - make sure that $VARTEXMF precedes $TEXMFMAIN in the TEXMF definition.
TEXMF =!!$TEXMFMAIN

Change the last line to read

TEXMF = {~/Library/texmf,!!$TEXMFMAIN}

Then save this file.

Now you want to move this file into the teTeX spot. To do so, type the
following commands, one after another

        cd
        sudo tcsh
        cd   /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c
          mv   texmf.cnf    texmf_old.cnf
          cp    /Users/koch/texmf.cnf    texmf.cnf

where you must replace "koch" by your own user name.

--------------------

Now that this is done, tetex will also search for files inside your Library
folder. But the files must be in appropriate directories. teTeX uses a
directory structure invented by the tex working group. I'll just give one
example. Suppose you want to add an extra style file named mine.sty
to the style files used by Latex. Looking inside tetex, we find that a
natural spot for this file would be

        /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/misc

So Inside our Library folder, we make a series of subdirectories
as follows:

        Library --> texmf --> tex --> latex -->  misc

and store "mine.sty" inside this misc directory.

Assoc/Prof Michael Murray
Department of Pure Mathematics       Fax: 61+ 8 8303 3696
University of Adelaide             Phone: 61+ 8 8303 4174
Australia  5005      Email: [hidden email]
Home Page: http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray
PGP public key:
http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray/pgp.txt

[Mac OS X TeX] add styles

Thomas Kiffe

After adding any files to a texmf tree you should run "mktexlsr" from a
Terminal to rebuild the database search files.

>Is there an easy way to add files (i.e.  -.sty or -.bst ) to the texmf
>tree?
>Like as user specific folder I can easy write to (no root needed) and
>which is searched by the different apps (latex, bibtex and so on).
>If I add files to the existing tree (as root, because of the write
>permission) the apps sometimes will not find them.
>
>--Jan Huelsmann--

>For additional HELP, send email to <[hidden email]> with
>"help" (no quotes) in the body.
>This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
>messages posted by third parties.

[Mac OS X TeX] add styles

Bob Torres

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 05:05:36PM -0500, Tom Kiffe wrote:
> After adding any files to a texmf tree you should run "mktexlsr" from a
> Terminal to rebuild the database search files.

I'm sort of a TeX newbie, so forgive me if this is painfully obvious, but how does this differ from 'texhash' (which has always worked fine for me when adding new styles)?  Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm beginning my dissertation using TeXShop, and I need to add some new styles...

Bob
PhD Candidate, Development Soc, Cornell U.
[e] [hidden email]
[www] www.torres.cx
[aim] djbobyt [icq] 95880740
[advice] assume nothing

[Mac OS X TeX] add styles

Thomas Kiffe

>On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 05:05:36PM -0500, Tom Kiffe wrote:
>> After adding any files to a texmf tree you should run "mktexlsr" from a
>> Terminal to rebuild the database search files.
>
>On Thu, 10 May 2001 17:00:32 -0400, Bob Torres wrote:
>I'm sort of a TeX newbie, so forgive me if this is painfully obvious, but how does this differ from 'texhash' (which has always worked fine for me when adding new styles)?  Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm beginning my dissertation using TeXShop, and I need to add some new styles...

Texhash is just a symlink to mktexlsr.

--Tom