[Mac OS X TeX] emacs and tex

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Mac OS X TeX] emacs and tex

Niv Drory


For all of you who never used emacs/xemacs to edit tex files, here's a
short summary of what it can do for you, and why many people like this
combination so much. There is an advanced tex editing mode for emacs
called auc-tex. Im always referring to this mode.

For all those implementing tex systems on the Mac, there are probably a
few things which would be great to incorporate into your editors ...

- auc-tex works in conjunction with emacs' outline mode, where it will
parse your tex-files for \chapter, \section, etc. commands and then let
you collapse and expand these much like outline mode in M$ Word does.

- auc-tex can handle sources consisting of multiple input files by reading
\input commands

- it will parse your input for \cite, \ref, \label and the like and will
autocomplete the labels for you whe you want to enter one. You must enter
only the beginning of a citation key, hit tab, and it will show you all
matches from your .bib files. It will let you customize the commands for
this, so that you can add further citation forms, e.g. \citeN.

- You can customize the behaviour of auc-tex by writing commands in the
form of tex-comments (lines beginning with %), for example to write a list
of words to be ignored by the spell-checker

Some of these are really unique features I haven't seen in any other tex
implementation. What is also very nice under Unix/X11 is that xdvi will
call gs (ghostscript) to automatically show all postscript figures in the
preview. This could of course also be done under MacOS X (Tom, ... ?). And
you can use Makefiles ...

I hope this inspires a little,

Cheers,

        Niv

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Niv Drory                               |   [hidden email]
University Observatory                  |     www.usm.uni-muenchen.de
University of Munich                    |
Scheinerstr. 1                          |     Phone: +49 89 2180 5982
81679 Munich, Germany                   |     FAX  : +49 89 2180 6003
---------------------------------------------------------------------



-----------------------------------------------------------------
To UNSUBSCRIBE, send email to <[hidden email]> with
"unsubscribe macosx-tex" (no quotes) in the body.
For additional HELP, send email to <[hidden email]> with
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
messages posted by third parties.
-----------------------------------------------------------------


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Mac OS X TeX] emacs and tex

michael murray-6


<x-flowed>>For all of you who never used emacs/xemacs to edit tex files, here's a
>short summary of what it can do for you, and why many people like this
>combination so much. There is an advanced tex editing mode for emacs
>called auc-tex. Im always referring to this mode.
>
>For all those implementing tex systems on the Mac, there are probably a
>few things which would be great to incorporate into your editors ...




>- auc-tex works in conjunction with emacs' outline mode, where it will
>parse your tex-files for \chapter, \section, etc. commands and then let
>you collapse and expand these much like outline mode in M$ Word does.


Very nice. Alpha  will scan the file and assemble
a list of all section and sub section headings in a drop down menu.
TeXShop will build a list of tags you put in in the form %:this is a tag.

>- auc-tex can handle sources consisting of multiple input files by reading
>\input commands

Nice.

>- it will parse your input for \cite, \ref, \label and the like and will
>autocomplete the labels for you whe you want to enter one. You must enter
>only the beginning of a citation key, hit tab, and it will show you all
>matches from your .bib files. It will let you customize the commands for
>this, so that you can add further citation forms, e.g. \citeN.

This would be very nice.  I have often used Alpha's split mode to keep
a small window at the bottom of the file which I can use to
scroll through my bibliography.

>
>- You can customize the behaviour of auc-tex by writing commands in the
>form of tex-comments (lines beginning with %), for example to write a list
>of words to be ignored by the spell-checker
>
>Some of these are really unique features I haven't seen in any other tex
>implementation. What is also very nice under Unix/X11 is that xdvi will
>call gs (ghostscript) to automatically show all postscript figures in the
>preview. This could of course also be done under MacOS X (Tom, ... ?). And
>you can use Makefiles ...
>


You could of course put XFree86 on your mac, then the full teTeX distribution,
emacs and presumably auc !


Michael
--
_________________________________________________________
Assoc/Prof Michael Murray                                                  
Department of Pure Mathematics       Fax: 61+ 8 8303
3696                                      
University of Adelaide             Phone: 61+ 8 8303 4174      
Australia  5005      Email: [hidden email]            
Home Page: http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray
PGP public key:
http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray/pgp.txt
_________________________________________________________


   



-----------------------------------------------------------------
To UNSUBSCRIBE, send email to <[hidden email]> with
"unsubscribe macosx-tex" (no quotes) in the body.
For additional HELP, send email to <[hidden email]> with
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
messages posted by third parties.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
</x-flowed>