[Mac OS X TeX] eps and pdftex

Thomas Kiffe

There have been several posts today about including eps files in pdftex. Pdftex can include tiff, jpg and pdf images directly. If you have an eps file you must
convert it to pdf using the epstopdf program. This program modifies the
original eps file and then calls ps2pdf to generate a pdf file. Ps2pdf calls
ghostscript, so you must have it installed on your computer. The epstopdf
script will not handle eps files with the bounding box info at the end, like
eps files from Mathematica.

My epstopdf, combined with MacGhostview (which includes macps2pdf), handles all eps files, even those created with Mathematica.

Tom Kiffe

[Mac OS X TeX] eps and pdftex

Keith Watling

on 8/5/01 9:55 pm, Tom Kiffe at [hidden email] wrote:

> There have been several posts today about including eps files in pdftex.
> Pdftex can include tiff, jpg and pdf images directly. If you have an eps file
> you must
> convert it to pdf using the epstopdf program. This program modifies the
> original eps file and then calls ps2pdf to generate a pdf file. Ps2pdf calls
> ghostscript, so you must have it installed on your computer. The epstopdf
> script will not handle eps files with the bounding box info at the end, like
> eps files from Mathematica.
>
> My epstopdf, combined with MacGhostview (which includes macps2pdf), handles
> all eps files, even those created with Mathematica.

Tom

A simple question: how do you make all the TeX Type1 Postscript fonts that
come with CMacTeX 3.7 under Mac OS 9 available to ps2pdf, and presumably
ghostscript as well? If I use Acrobat 4.0 under Mac OS 9, which is aware of
all the TeX Type 1 postscript fonts, as the ps2pdf processor, called by
epstopdf, it appears to make the bounding boxes of Illustrator EPS files a
little smaller than they should be, when converting to PDF? Also the only
way epstopdf appears to work is by dropping the .eps file on the
application, the menu and dialog box method appears to go through the
correct motions, but never actually calls whatever ps2pdf converter is
selected. Basically I just want to be able to correctly convert Illustrator
EPS files containing references or even embedded subsets of TeX Type 1
Postscript fonts into correctly structured PDF files having the correct
bounding box with the necessary subsets of TeX Type1 fonts embedded with the
correct encoding:-)

Thanks

Keith

> Tom Kiffe

> For additional HELP, send email to <[hidden email]> with
> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.

[Mac OS X TeX] eps and pdftex

Thomas Kiffe

>A simple question: how do you make all the TeX Type1 Postscript fonts that
>come with CMacTeX 3.7 under Mac OS 9 available to ps2pdf, and presumably
>ghostscript as well?

You have to add an entry for each one tp FontMap.GS and place (or symlink) the fonts in ghostscript's font folder. The fonts must be in pfb format.

>If I use Acrobat 4.0 under Mac OS 9, which is aware of
>all the TeX Type 1 postscript fonts, as the ps2pdf processor, called by
>epstopdf, it appears to make the bounding boxes of Illustrator EPS files a
>little smaller than they should be, when converting to PDF?

I've never used Illustrator. Are you sure the problem lies in the pdf graphics
and not in the way pdftex is including them? If someone can send me a sample
eps I can see what happens with the latest pdftex.

>Also the only
>way epstopdf appears to work is by dropping the .eps file on the
>application, the menu and dialog box method appears to go through the
>correct motions, but never actually calls whatever ps2pdf converter is
>selected.

It's a feature, not a bug. I recently changed some parts of epstopdf so
that a user could drop multiple eps files onto it and epstopdf would
convert each one in turn. I forgot to reactivate some code in the program
so that the Menus don't work. Since I always activate epstopdf by dropping
eps files onto it I never noticed that the menus didn't work. I will fix
it soon.

>Basically I just want to be able to correctly convert Illustrator
>EPS files containing references or even embedded subsets of TeX Type 1
>Postscript fonts into correctly structured PDF files having the correct
>bounding box with the necessary subsets of TeX Type1 fonts embedded with the
>correct encoding:-)

I may be completely wrong here, but it is my understanding that eps files
should not contain fonts. It is the job of dvips and pdftex to read the
eps or pdf file and supply the fonts itself.

--Tom Kiffe

[Mac OS X TeX] more troubles with pdf.

James Owen

<x-flowed>
Having persuaded RevTeX to allow pdfs files to be inserted, I am now
faced with the problem that it only inserts the preview, which for some
reason is a whole page in size, instead of the small cropped figures I
am trying to use.
I trimmed them in Acrobat, and then saved, but unfortunately that didn't
help. I think OS X automatically assigns previews to pdf files, which
are a whole sheet, not the cropped file. I noticed that if I opened them
in Acrobat, they came out cropped the way I saved them, whereas if I
double-clicked on them, they opened in Acrobat still, but without the
cropping. I also tried deleting the previews using Acrobat, but
identical ones came back again.
When I print, I get a shrunken figure inside a page of white, or else, a
figure on one page, with the caption on the next, Neither is
satisfactory.
Maybe because I am using Classic Acrobat and Carbon Acrobat Reader?

James