[Mac OS X TeX] what is/was "Instant TeX" ?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Mac OS X TeX] what is/was "Instant TeX" ?

Troy Goodson


<x-flowed>Every once in a while I hear about "Instant TeX" that, I think,
is/was available for NeXT.  Can someone describe "Instant TeX"?  Was
it something like LyX <http://www.LyX.org/> or TeXmacs
<http://www.TeXmacs.org/> ?

And, what's the big stumbling block to getting apps like these on Mac OS X?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
To UNSUBSCRIBE, send email to <[hidden email]> with
"unsubscribe macosx-tex" (no quotes) in the body.
For additional HELP, send email to <[hidden email]> with
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
messages posted by third parties.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
</x-flowed>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Mac OS X TeX] what is/was "Instant TeX" ?

William F. Adams
Troy Goodson wrote
> Every once in a while I hear about "Instant TeX" that, I think,
> is/was available for NeXT.  Can someone describe "Instant TeX"?  Was
> it something like LyX <http://www.LyX.org/> or TeXmacs
> <http://www.TeXmacs.org/> ?

InstantTeX is more like a component-based Textures, but able to access
NeXTstep's Display PostScript. Type TeX code in Texedit.app, re-TeX it
and watch it appear in TeXView.app

It also has a wonderful equation/symbol input palette with an optional
draw-to-input area which worked great for symbols one didn't know the
name of if one was good with a mouse (I used it with a Wacom ArtZ
graphics tablet myself)

There is also Bibliography.app which allowed the input of citations via Services.

> And, what's the big stumbling block to getting apps like these on Mac OS X?

They were written for NeXTstep, not OPENSTEP and the APIs changed.
OPENSTEP for Mach loads two sets of shlibs at need (the second is for
NeXTstep programs)

William

--
William Adams, publishing specialist
ATLIS Graphics & Design / 717-731-6707 voice / 717-731-6708 fax
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.
http://members.aol.com/willadams

-----------------------------------------------------------------
To UNSUBSCRIBE, send email to <[hidden email]> with
"unsubscribe macosx-tex" (no quotes) in the body.
For additional HELP, send email to <[hidden email]> with
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
messages posted by third parties.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Mac OS X TeX] what is/was "Instant TeX" ?

Troy Goodson
At 2:18 PM -0400 5/7/01, William Adams wrote:

>Troy Goodson wrote
>>  Every once in a while I hear about "Instant TeX" that, I think,
>>  is/was available for NeXT.  Can someone describe "Instant TeX"?  Was
>>  it something like LyX <http://www.LyX.org/> or TeXmacs
>>  <http://www.TeXmacs.org/> ?
>
>InstantTeX is more like a component-based Textures, but able to access
>NeXTstep's Display PostScript. Type TeX code in Texedit.app, re-TeX it
>and watch it appear in TeXView.app
>
>It also has a wonderful equation/symbol input palette with an optional
>draw-to-input area which worked great for symbols one didn't know the
>name of if one was good with a mouse (I used it with a Wacom ArtZ
>graphics tablet myself)
>
>There is also Bibliography.app which allowed the input of citations
>via Services.


That sounds kinda like TeXShop
<http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/texshop.html>.  I've been using
TeXShop to learn LaTeX and I like it, but I'd also like to have the
other stuff you've described.



-----------------------------------------------------------------
To UNSUBSCRIBE, send email to <[hidden email]> with
"unsubscribe macosx-tex" (no quotes) in the body.
For additional HELP, send email to <[hidden email]> with
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
messages posted by third parties.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Mac OS X TeX] what is/was "Instant TeX" ?

William F. Adams
Troy Goodson said:
> That sounds kinda like TeXShop
> <http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/texshop.html>.  I've been using
> TeXShop to learn LaTeX and I like it, but I'd also like to have the
> other stuff you've described.

There were other niceties (such as selecting TeX source in a layout
application, and choosing Services | TeX --> .eps and getting a .eps in
its place), but, yes, TeXShop is modeled on InstantTeX.

One big difference is one wasn't forced to use PDFTeX in NeXTstep...

William

--
William Adams, publishing specialist
ATLIS Graphics & Design / 717-731-6707 voice / 717-731-6708 fax
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.
http://members.aol.com/willadams

-----------------------------------------------------------------
To UNSUBSCRIBE, send email to <[hidden email]> with
"unsubscribe macosx-tex" (no quotes) in the body.
For additional HELP, send email to <[hidden email]> with
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
messages posted by third parties.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Mac OS X TeX] what is/was "Instant TeX" ?

Troy Goodson


<x-flowed>At 4:07 PM -0400 5/7/01, William Adams wrote:

>Troy Goodson said:
>>  That sounds kinda like TeXShop
>>  <http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/texshop.html>.  I've been using
>>  TeXShop to learn LaTeX and I like it, but I'd also like to have the
>>  other stuff you've described.
>
>There were other niceties (such as selecting TeX source in a layout
>application, and choosing Services | TeX --> .eps and getting a .eps in
>its place), but, yes, TeXShop is modeled on InstantTeX.
>
>One big difference is one wasn't forced to use PDFTeX in NeXTstep...

I guess that was the cool thing about DisplayPostscript.  Now, if
PDFTeX was just 100% compatible with TeX, this wouldn't be an issue;
somehow I doubt that compatibility will ever happen.

Finally, I was able to get a web search with more info on InstantTeX.  I found
<http://www.rose-hulman.edu/Class/ma/brock/ma111/pari/InstantTeX/README>
and I've copied a portion of the readme, below.  Given the NeXT
heritage of OS X, I think it's worth pointing out to the list what
NeXT had for TeX.  I think these ideas should migrate nicely to Mac
OS X (it's a great wish list).


Main features of InstantTeX

With InstantTeX you can TeX your file in any format you wish,
directly from Edit, just by pressing a key. The format of your TeX
files can be determined automatically.

If TeX notices an error in your file, you can press a key and
InstantTeX will go to the line which contains the error. This
considerably simplifies editing your text.

The main advantage of InstantTeX is that it has an Instant mode,
which allows you to TeX your file automatically as you are writing it
and preview the results in TeXview almost instantaneously. A few
seconds after you type a key, the new output appears in TeXview .
This is very useful for writing equations, macros, adjusting the
spaces and sizes in your file, and almost everything else that you
can do with TeX. In this respect InstantTeX is very similar to
Lightning Textures for Macintosh computer. Our program works well
even on multiple-page documents, due to the speed of the NeXT
computers. Moreover, Instant mode now can be used even with
multiple-file documents. One can also select only a portion of text
to be TeXed in InstantTeX mode.

Another advantage of InstantTeX is the existence of TeXPalette, which
contains buttons corresponding to Greek letters, operators,
relations, and other TeX symbols. Now you should not memorize how to
write an integral or a matrix, just click the button, and you will
see the result. This means that there is no need to write your
equations separately and insert them later into your document; you do
everything on the fly. In addition to PlainTeX symbols and commands,
TeXPalette contains separate palettes with buttons corresponding to
commonly used commands from LaTeX, Phystex, Harvmac and AmsTeX. Do
you like typing \begin{equation} \label{...} ... \end{equation} each
time when you write a new equation in LaTeX? Do you like typing
(\ref{...}) each time you refer to any equation in the text? No such
suffering anymore for those who use NeXT! (We are unaware of any
similar product for other computers.)

InstantTeX has a panel containing buttons `Edit File', `Go On',
`Ignore All Errors', `Help With Error', `Quit TeX', `Use Another
File', `TeX Again', `Preview'. It is very convenient for TeXing and
editing files.

You can insert pictures into your TeX files, just by dragging them
into the TeX file window. You can easily import pictures from many
other applications, such as Adobe Illustrator, Draw and Mathematica.
You can also send the files with pictures to people who do not have
NeXTs.

You may send TeX files to people who do not have NeXTs. The files you
are going to send will be automatically truncated to 80 or 70
characters a line, and will not contain errors that Mail makes when
it truncates TeX files.

There are more than 20 various options to suit your preferences.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
To UNSUBSCRIBE, send email to <[hidden email]> with
"unsubscribe macosx-tex" (no quotes) in the body.
For additional HELP, send email to <[hidden email]> with
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
messages posted by third parties.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
</x-flowed>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Mac OS X TeX] what is/was "Instant TeX" ?

Christopher B. Hamlin
In reply to this post by William F. Adams
William Adams wrote:
>
> ...
>
> One big difference is one wasn't forced to use PDFTeX in NeXTstep...
>

  Is anyone thinking about writing a dvi previewer in Cocoa/ObjC?
It seems like an obvious idea, though probably a pretty big
project. Or maybe bringing something over from NeXT?


  Regards,

  Chris Hamlin

-----------------------------------------------------------------
To UNSUBSCRIBE, send email to <[hidden email]> with
"unsubscribe macosx-tex" (no quotes) in the body.
For additional HELP, send email to <[hidden email]> with
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
messages posted by third parties.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Mac OS X TeX] what is/was "Instant TeX" ?

William F. Adams
In reply to this post by Troy Goodson


I'll see if I can get a .pdf made of the InstantTeX manual and will post
that to my site describing the NeXT UI and NeXT applications. (Not much
of a site yet, describe the font panel and TouchType.app,
http://members.aol.com/willadams/gnustep should be the URL, but working
on it when I can---getting up a site on what fonts are bundled with what
software has become somewhat more pressing with the release of Mac OS X,
hoping to include suggestions/guidelines for use...)

William


--
William Adams, publishing specialist
ATLIS Graphics & Design / 717-731-6707 voice / 717-731-6708 fax
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.
http://members.aol.com/willadams

-----------------------------------------------------------------
To UNSUBSCRIBE, send email to <[hidden email]> with
"unsubscribe macosx-tex" (no quotes) in the body.
For additional HELP, send email to <[hidden email]> with
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
messages posted by third parties.
-----------------------------------------------------------------


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Mac OS X TeX] what is/was "Instant TeX" ?

William F. Adams
In reply to this post by Christopher B. Hamlin


Chris Hamlin said:
> Is anyone thinking about writing a dvi previewer in Cocoa/ObjC?
> It seems like an obvious idea, though probably a pretty big
> project. Or maybe bringing something over from NeXT?

(My apologies for two e-mails on the same subject)

TeXView.app was a NeXT Developer Example, if memory serves.... Written
by the same guy who does DVIPS, it basically did DVI -> PS on-the-fly
with special hacks to enable things like faxing (which for some reason
was hard to accomplish) and to transparently switch font resolutions
depending upon magnification or output device. As the readme implies, it
was tightly integrated into the NeXT UI (an integration which would be
desirable for TeXShop...) and _very_ dependent upon Display PostScript.

And as penance (or is this gloating....)

Hey! you'll never guess what I got in the mail today....

Here's a hint, keep an eye on:
http://sunburn.stanford.edu/~knuth/dt.html

for a correction of ``monotype'' to ``Monotype'' as well as a new
footnote mention about how German hyphenation is possible with TeX82....

William

--
William Adams, publishing specialist
ATLIS Graphics & Design / 717-731-6707 voice / 717-731-6708 fax
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.
http://members.aol.com/willadams

-----------------------------------------------------------------
To UNSUBSCRIBE, send email to <[hidden email]> with
"unsubscribe macosx-tex" (no quotes) in the body.
For additional HELP, send email to <[hidden email]> with
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
messages posted by third parties.
-----------------------------------------------------------------