MacOSX-TeX Digest #24 - 05/31/01

MacOSX-TeX mailing list
MacOSX-TeX Digest #24 - Thursday, May 31, 2001

  OzTeX as a dvi viewer
          by "David R. Morrison" <[hidden email]>
  Alpha editor update
          by "Michael Goldweber" <[hidden email]>
  wish list
          by "Troy Goodson" <[hidden email]>
  How to install *.cls files for TeXShop?
          by "Troy Goodson" <[hidden email]>
  Re: [Mac OS X TeX] wish list
          by "Andreas Monitzer" <[hidden email]>

Subject: OzTeX as a dvi viewer
From: "David R. Morrison" <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 11:09:45 -0400

For other OzTeX fans out there:

I've written a little OSX application which enables files with a ".dvi"
extension to be launched by (Classic) OzTeX 4.0, via double-clicking.
It is not perfect, but it should be useful until a Carbonized version
of OzTeX becomes available.

You can find it at:

  <http://www.math.duke.edu/~drm/OTeX/>

Enjoy!

  -- Dave Morrison

Subject: Alpha editor update
From: "Michael Goldweber" <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 13:19:58 -0400

Given the prior thread regarding editor environments under OS X:

        After installing both tcl and tk (out of the box compilations
from source distributions found at gnu-darwin on SourceForge) I
installed alphaTK.

While alphaTK certainly worked, under Tenon's XTools package it was
too slow to be a viable alternative.  Open question: Is alphaTK, the
tcl/tk ports or XTools the culprit?

Subject: wish list
From: "Troy Goodson" <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 11:33:45 -0700

Stuff I'd like to see:

1. GUI s/w to manage those *.dtx and *.ins files
    -> allow installation for all users
    -> allow installation for just me
    -> other options?

2. GUI s/w to manage font use.  I don't know what fonts I can use
with (La)TeX!  And if I did know, I wouldn't know how to use them...
   -> manage installation of fonts
   -> font conversion (is there s/w to do this?)

3. GUI for storing/organizing (La)TeX code snippets.  Once I figure
out how to make a table look a certain way, I'd like to store that
somewhere and call it back up when I want it again.  I guess I could
do this with something like Notes
<http://homepage.mac.com/richards9/screens.html>, but I was thinking
this could also become something to allow the sharing of (La)TeX code
snippets.

4. get the bugs out of rtf2latex2e.  This little program shows a lot
of promise, but it just doesn't do a good enough job for me, yet.  It
sure would help me get off the MS-Word crutch.

5. Ports of NeXT (La)TeX stuff to Mac OS X.  If this is as easy as
Carbonizing, I'd think we'd be flooded with this stuff.  It must be a
lot harder, because I'd be hard pressed to name a single NeXT app
that's been ported to OS X.  My first thought is RBrowser, but that's
a re-write isn't it?

Subject: How to install *.cls files for TeXShop?
From: "Troy Goodson" <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 11:39:34 -0700

I downloaded an AIAA (unofficial) LaTeX package
<http://abftp.larc.nasa.gov/~kleb/aiaa/>.  I did a little detective
work and found out that I could set a variable, TEXINPUTS, to use
it's *.cls file.  Now, I did that and pdfLaTeX finds the file when
run from the command line.  When TeXShop runs pdfLaTeX, it doesn't
find it.  What to do?

I set the variable in my .cshrc.  Clearly, my .cshrc file isn't being
run for TeXShop.

Subject: Re: [Mac OS X TeX] wish list
From: "Andreas Monitzer" <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 20:50:56 +0200

On Thursday, May 31, 2001, at 08:33 , Troy Goodson wrote:

> I'd be hard pressed to name a single NeXT app that's been ported to OS X.

OmniWeb
Mail
TextEdit
ProjectBuilderWO