MathPix or snipping-tool

Richard Koch-2
Folks,

My apologies. I've now obtained MathPix, which installs in Applications as "snipping-tool".
It works well, and certainly is useful.

This program doesn't have a GUI, so far as I know. Instead it installs an extra item in the
MenuBar at the right side when you double click it in /Applications.

I suspect we could be the most help to the author by writing a small document for MacTextras
with a link to the program web page and to the App Store. That way the author would get
clear statistics from Apple on the number of users, but they would have our endorsement.
Indeed a small document could show in pictures what it does, and that it is free, so users
would be tempted to try it.

Juan Luis, thanks for the reference. Amazing that they could pull this off!

Dick Koch
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: MathPix or snipping-tool

Richard Koch-2
Incidentally, Wikipedia says that "snkipping-tool" is a windows utility that can copy a portion of a web page (no mention of
mathematics). I wonder if the authors changed the title to MathPix without changing the title of the download.

Dick
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: MathPix or snipping-tool

Gary L. Gray-6
On Mar 10, 2018, at 8:27 PM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:

I suspect we could be the most help to the author by writing a small document for MacTextras
with a link to the program web page and to the App Store. That way the author would get
clear statistics from Apple on the number of users, but they would have our endorsement.
Indeed a small document could show in pictures what it does, and that it is free, so users
would be tempted to try it.

All,

I just did a little more digging on the “it is free” part. Interestingly, it is free and seems to allow unlimited usage on the Mac, but it is also more limited on the Mac. On iOS, it will also solve equations, plot functions, and more -- all from a photo. The catch is that the iOS version allows 50 scans and 1 solve for free and then it is $10/month for a subscription (it uses WolframAlpha for the solving and https://www.desmos.com for the visualizations). When I downloaded it to my phone some time ago it was free -- the subscription model must be a relatively new development.

One more thing ... Desmos looks like a fun and useful rabbit hole, which is a bad thing on the last day of my Spring Break when I have so much to do before tomorrow.

Gary

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: MathPix or snipping-tool

Lee Witt
" Desmos looks like a fun and useful rabbit hole, which is a bad thing on the last day of my Spring Break when I have so much to do before tomorrow."

Good description. I've found it most useful for a few classes: it makes it very easy for students to do "what happens if I change this" work during class. In the survey classes where business (and some other) students are introduced to basic linear programming the animation feature allows demonstrations of the objective function hitting a vertex as the final point of a feasible region. Lots more to it, but is is an easy to use tool with lots of flexibility.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/