Matrix Panel

Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
I hadn’t used the matrix panel in TeXShop for some time (certainly not since my last update) and now that I want to use it I am having difficulty.
I tried to create a 2x2 matrix: set the brackets, set 2 rows, 2 columns.  The first row shows up all filled in in red, and there are zeroes in the first
two entries of the second row.  I can enter a symbol in the (1,1) position, but when I try to do so in either (1,2) or (2,1) I get the sound that says “no go”.
Has anyone else had this problem?  I am at a loss as to how to approach fixing it.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155