Movie: TeXShop Webpage Helper in action

Ramón Figueroa-Centeno
Aloha,

Apparently, I have confused a lot of people with my application (which let me reiterate will do nothing if you double click it; it is the invisible glue between hyperlinks and TeXShop).

It has two layers, the user layer of things, where you just need to download the software and open a PDF (the included example, which is a hyperlinked version of George Grätzer's Math Symbols Table) and use that as an equation editor.

Now, a (moving) picture is worth a (million) thousand words as the saying goes, so here is a little movie (with some frames deleted in the middle that consisted of just me scrolling down the page):

<http://www2.hawaii.edu/~ramonf/TeXShop/Math%20Symbols%20Table.mov>

The second layer is the one of the person programming a document and adding hyperlinks to it. For that you need to learn all the technical details in the manual
(it is a little computer language with its own idiosyncrasies). You write the document in LaTeX using the hyperref package or HTML and encode the links using the instructions in the manual and some utility macros I wrote.

The programmer has some fine control over the insertion of text. She can insert text (encoded in the link or from a text file), encapsulate text in an environment, and when the insertion is done move the cursor to an offset from the insertion, etc. The insertions can be unicode. You can refer to parts of the document by their line number, offset within that line and length, or in relation to the current selection. You can refer to documents by their path or by referring to the current front document.

I hope that that explains the potential of this software more eloquently and coherently than I am capable, to create not just such symbol tables but, for example LaTeX tutorials, where the user inserts pieces of code by just clicking.

I hope the movie clears the confusion.

Ramón