New? Preference in Mavericks

123

New? Preference in Mavericks

Richard Koch
Folks,

Warning in case someone asks:

Yesterday a TeXShop user complained that TeXShop on
Mavericks converts -- into a dash. Today I got a similar
complaint about double quotes.

It turns out that on Mavericks,

        System Preferences --> Keyboard Panel --> Text Tab

leads to a preference item I had not seen before, "Use smart
quotes and dashes". Turning this off cured the problem.

Dick Koch

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: New? Preference in Mavericks

Herbert Schulz

On Nov 11, 2013, at 8:23 AM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Warning in case someone asks:
>
> Yesterday a TeXShop user complained that TeXShop on
> Mavericks converts -- into a dash. Today I got a similar
> complaint about double quotes.
>
> It turns out that on Mavericks,
>
> System Preferences --> Keyboard Panel --> Text Tab
>
> leads to a preference item I had not seen before, "Use smart
> quotes and dashes". Turning this off cured the problem.
>
> Dick Koch

Howdy,

Interestingly, that item is checked on my system but I'm not seeing the automatic conversion. I thought it might be because I use a monospace font but changing to Times didn't change things at all.

Wait... you can change that for an individual applications by (un)checking Smart Quotes and/or Smart Dashes under Edit->Substitutions. I've got them unchecked there.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: New? Preference in Mavericks

Michael Sharpe

On Nov 11, 2013, at 6:41 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2013, at 8:23 AM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Warning in case someone asks:
>>
>> Yesterday a TeXShop user complained that TeXShop on
>> Mavericks converts -- into a dash. Today I got a similar
>> complaint about double quotes.
>>
>> It turns out that on Mavericks,
>>
>> System Preferences --> Keyboard Panel --> Text Tab
>>
>> leads to a preference item I had not seen before, "Use smart
>> quotes and dashes". Turning this off cured the problem.
>>
>> Dick Koch
>
> Howdy,
>
> Interestingly, that item is checked on my system but I'm not seeing the automatic conversion. I thought it might be because I use a monospace font but changing to Times didn't change things at all.
>
> Wait... you can change that for an individual applications by (un)checking Smart Quotes and/or Smart Dashes under Edit->Substitutions. I've got them unchecked there.

Just a small clarification. With all items in TeXShop's Edit->Substitutions unchecked, you don't get conversions within TeXShop's main text editor. However, the behavior in the Macro Editor seems to ignore TeXShop's Edit->Substitutions settings and follows the System Preferences --> Keyboard Panel --> Text Tab settings instead. Thanks to Dick for tracking this down.

Michael

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Nov 11, 2013, at 12:52 PM, Michael Sharpe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2013, at 6:41 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 11, 2013, at 8:23 AM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> Warning in case someone asks:
>>>
>>> Yesterday a TeXShop user complained that TeXShop on
>>> Mavericks converts -- into a dash. Today I got a similar
>>> complaint about double quotes.
>>>
>>> It turns out that on Mavericks,
>>>
>>> System Preferences --> Keyboard Panel --> Text Tab
>>>
>>> leads to a preference item I had not seen before, "Use smart
>>> quotes and dashes". Turning this off cured the problem.
>>>
>>> Dick Koch
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Interestingly, that item is checked on my system but I'm not seeing the automatic conversion. I thought it might be because I use a monospace font but changing to Times didn't change things at all.
>>
>> Wait... you can change that for an individual applications by (un)checking Smart Quotes and/or Smart Dashes under Edit->Substitutions. I've got them unchecked there.
>>

> Just a small clarification. With all items in TeXShop's Edit->Substitutions unchecked, you don't get conversions within TeXShop's main text editor. However, the behavior in the Macro Editor seems to ignore TeXShop's Edit->Substitutions settings and follows the System Preferences --> Keyboard Panel --> Text Tab settings instead. Thanks to Dick for tracking this down.
>
> Michael

Howdy,

i was in a bit of a panic after reading this note. First I immediately unchecked the option in System Preferences->Keyboard->Text. Then I went into the Macro Editor and took a look at the Applescript macros I use. Comments, i.e., with a leading --,and double quotes were not changed.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Mountain Lion neither makefile nor latex command functions

NMPOST7
Hello all,

Just updated my iMac to Mountain Lion (10.8.5)
I have a makefile for a book project of my own. Neither does the makefile
command nor the latex command works. All I get is "command" not found.
I do not know this problem on linux.

Do I need to change something in the system?

Best regards
Suren

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Mountain Lion neither makefile nor latex command functions

Herbert Schulz

On Nov 12, 2013, at 10:22 AM, NMPOST7 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Just updated my iMac to Mountain Lion (10.8.5)
> I have a makefile for a book project of my own. Neither does the makefile
> command nor the latex command works. All I get is "command" not found.
> I do not know this problem on linux.
>
> Do I need to change something in the system?
>
> Best regards
> Suren

Howdy,

You say you updated to OS X 10.8.5 but not from what version of the you started.

Please let us know what

ls -alF /

ls -alF /usr

ls -alF /usr/local

echo $PATH

which latex

returns as run in Terminal. Do you use a GUI front end for compiling or do you use the Terminal directly?

Try to install the FixMacTeX2013.pkg found in /Applications/TeX; i.e., double click that .pkg file and follow the directions.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On 12/11/2013 17:22, NMPOST7 wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Just updated my iMac to Mountain Lion (10.8.5)
> I have a makefile for a book project of my own. Neither does the makefile
> command nor the latex command works. All I get is "command" not found.
> I do not know this problem on linux.
>
> Do I need to change something in the system?
>
> Best regards
> Suren

Just did: PATH=/usr/texbin:$PATH; export PATH  and the latex command works.
Please help me to get the "make" command work, so I can use the makefile
(make all ,  make clean)

Thanks
suren

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On 12/11/2013 17:36, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> You say you updated to OS X 10.8.5 but not from what version of the you started.
>
> Please let us know what
>
> ls -alF /
>
> ls -alF /usr
>
> ls -alF /usr/local
>
> echo $PATH
>
> which latex
>
> returns as run in Terminal. Do you use a GUI front end for compiling or do you use the Terminal directly?
>
> Try to install the FixMacTeX2013.pkg found in /Applications/TeX; i.e., double click that .pkg file and follow the directions.
Thank you, Herb,

I was using Snow Leopard. my latex was installed using TeXLive-2012
As mentioned in my last message  Just did: PATH=/usr/texbin:$PATH; export PATH
and the latex command works.

However the "make" command does not work

I just tried you "which latex" command but it returns nothing :(

Regards
suren

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Mountain Lion neither makefile nor latex command functions

NMPOST7
On 12/11/2013 17:36, Herbert Schulz wrote:
> returns as run in Terminal. Do you use a GUI front end for compiling or do you use the Terminal directly?
I use the terminal directly. for coding I use
I use the terminal directly. For coding I use either TexShop or vi. I prefer vi

> Try to install the FixMacTeX2013.pkg found in /Applications/TeX; i.e., double click that .pkg file and follow the directions.

thank you. I shall try that.

Kind regards
suren

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Nov 12, 2013, at 10:51 AM, NMPOST7 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/11/2013 17:36, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>> You say you updated to OS X 10.8.5 but not from what version of the you started.
>>
>> Please let us know what
>>
>> ls -alF /
>>
>> ls -alF /usr
>>
>> ls -alF /usr/local
>>
>> echo $PATH
>>
>> which latex
>>
>> returns as run in Terminal. Do you use a GUI front end for compiling or do you use the Terminal directly?
>>
>> Try to install the FixMacTeX2013.pkg found in /Applications/TeX; i.e., double click that .pkg file and follow the directions.
> Thank you, Herb,
>
> I was using Snow Leopard. my latex was installed using TeXLive-2012
> As mentioned in my last message  Just did: PATH=/usr/texbin:$PATH; export PATH
> and the latex command works.
>
> However the "make" command does not work
>
> I just tried you "which latex" command but it returns nothing :(
>
> Regards
> suren

Howdy,

Why did you install TeXLive directly rather than via MacTeX? MacTeX installs a full TeX Live 2013. It also sets up the proper symbolic links so the /usr/texbin actually works and the proper $PATH. There is no need to configure anything (Unless you also have a MacPorts or Fink distribution present)! You can get the MacTeX installer from <http://www.tug.org/mactex/>.

If you actually installed via the MacTeX installer please install the FixMacTeX2013.pkg which should fix up the problems with $PATH and /usr/texbin.

If you actually installed TeX Live directly, where is TeX Live installed? If it's in /usr/local/texlive/2013 try using

export PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2013/bin/x86_64-darwin:$PATH

since it's MacTeX that creates the /usr/texbin symbolic links so that you can switch distributions via the TeX Distribution Preference Pane in system Preferences (also installed by MacTeX.

As far as `make' is concerned, what does

which make

return. Also, please let me know what the commands in my original post returns!

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On 12/11/2013 18:05, Herbert Schulz wrote:
> Why did you install TeXLive directly rather than via MacTeX? MacTeX installs a full TeX Live 2013.
It also sets up the proper symbolic links so the /usr/texbin actually works and
the proper $PATH. T
here is no need to configure anything (Unless you also have a MacPorts or Fink
distribution present)!
You can get the MacTeX installer from <http://www.tug.org/mactex/>.

Well, I used the DVD, which I get from DANTE and installed MacTeX. That is how I
have been doing until now.

> If you actually installed via the MacTeX installer please install the FixMacTeX2013.pkg which should fix up the problems with $PATH and /usr/texbin.

As mentioned in my last message. the $PATH problem has been fixed. the
compilation works well

> If you actually installed TeX Live directly, where is TeX Live installed? If it's in /usr/local/texlive/2013 try using
>
> export PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2013/bin/x86_64-darwin:$PATH
>
> since it's MacTeX that creates the /usr/texbin symbolic links so that you can switch distributions via the TeX Distribution Preference Pane in system Preferences (also installed by MacTeX.
>
> As far as `make' is concerned, what does
>
> which make
>
> return. Also, please let me know what the commands in my original post returns!

ls -alF /usr
total 24
drwxr-xr-x@  12 root  wheel    408 12 Nov 17:55 ./
drwxr-xr-x   37 root  wheel   1326 13 Oct 00:18 ../
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  wheel      8 13 Oct 00:18 X11@ -> /opt/X11
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  wheel      8 13 Oct 00:18 X11R6@ -> /opt/X11
drwxr-xr-x  977 root  wheel  33218 11 Oct 03:34 bin/
drwxr-xr-x  245 root  wheel   8330 11 Oct 03:34 lib/
drwxr-xr-x  144 root  wheel   4896 30 Oct 23:37 libexec/
drwxr-xr-x   10 root  wheel    340 11 Oct 03:34 local/
drwxr-xr-x  269 root  wheel   9146 11 Oct 03:34 sbin/
drwxr-xr-x   50 root  wheel   1700 11 Oct 03:34 share/
drwxr-xr-x    4 root  wheel    136 11 Oct 03:18 standalone/
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  wheel     63 12 Nov 17:55 texbin@ ->
/Library/TeX/Distributions/.DefaultTeX/Contents/Programs/texbin

:~ mysticmoon$ ls -alF /usr/local
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  10 root  wheel   340 11 Oct 03:34 ./
drwxr-xr-x@ 12 root  wheel   408 12 Nov 17:55 ../
drwxr-xr-x  11 root  wheel   374 11 Oct 03:34 MacGPG2/
drwxr-xr-x  42 root  wheel  1428 12 Nov 17:55 bin/
drwxr-xr-x   8 root  wheel   272 11 Oct 03:34 clamXav/
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   102 11 Oct 03:34 etc/
drwxr-xr-x   4 root  wheel   136 11 Oct 03:34 include/
drwxrwxr-x  18 root  wheel   612 11 Oct 03:34 lib/
drwxr-xr-x   5 root  wheel   170 11 Oct 03:34 share/
drwxr-xr-x   7 root  wheel   238 11 Oct 03:34 texlive/

:~ $ echo $PATH
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/X11/bin:/usr/texbin

:~ $ which latex
/usr/texbin/latex

Make: apparently during update this was removed (probably). I am installing
xcode now.

Best regards
suren

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Nov 12, 2013, at 10:38 AM, NMPOST7 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/11/2013 17:22, NMPOST7 wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Just updated my iMac to Mountain Lion (10.8.5)
>> I have a makefile for a book project of my own. Neither does the makefile
>> command nor the latex command works. All I get is "command" not found.
>> I do not know this problem on linux.
>>
>> Do I need to change something in the system?
>>
>> Best regards
>> Suren
>
> Just did: PATH=/usr/texbin:$PATH; export PATH  and the latex command works.
> Please help me to get the "make" command work, so I can use the makefile
> (make all ,  make clean)
>
> Thanks
> suren

Howdy,

What do

which make

and

echo $PATH

return?

You don't seem to want to provide me with the information I need to figure out what is going on. I'm willing to bet that you also haven't installed the FixMacTeX2013.pkg which is found in /Applications/TeX!

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Mountain Lion neither makefile nor latex command functions

Michael Welsh

On 13/11/2013, at 0538, NMPOST7 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just did: PATH=/usr/texbin:$PATH; export PATH  and the latex command works.
> Please help me to get the "make" command work, so I can use the makefile
> (make all ,  make clean)

Install XCode (it's in the App Store), and then run Xcode, open its "Downloads" preference pane and install the command line  tools from there.

That supplies make etc.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On 12/11/2013 18:29, Herbert Schulz wrote:
> You don't seem to want to provide me with the information I need to figure out what is going on.

Dear Herb,

apparently there is a delay in mails reaching you. Please wait until my last
message reaches you.

>I'm willing to bet that you also haven't installed the FixMacTeX2013.pkg which is found in /Applications/TeX!

That has already been installed and I followed what you said.

Best regards
suren

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Nov 12, 2013, at 11:35 AM, NMPOST7 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/11/2013 18:29, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>> You don't seem to want to provide me with the information I need to figure out what is going on.
>
> Dear Herb,
>
> apparently there is a delay in mails reaching you. Please wait until my last
> message reaches you.
>
>> I'm willing to bet that you also haven't installed the FixMacTeX2013.pkg which is found in /Applications/TeX!
>
> That has already been installed and I followed what you said.
>
> Best regards
> suren

Howdy,

The messages seem to come out of order.

I got the information and the permissions look fine. The FixMacTeX2013.pkg fixed up the PATH so there is no need to separately set up PATH (unless you also have a distribution via Macports or Fink).

Installing the latest XCode and letting it install the command line tools should do the trick if `make' wasn't installed.

PS: If you try using TeXShop to compile your files there is a latexmk engine (you have to activate it) which will do all necessary processing so there would be no need to use your make file. To activate the latexmk engine move the latexmk.engine file from ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk two directories up, to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines; you'll need to restart TeXShop. Then place the line

% !TEX TS-program = latexmk

at the top of your source file and simply Typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T) and the file will be completely typeset through all necessary steps of latex/bibtex(or biber)/makeindex to get a final product.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On 12/11/2013 18:47, Herbert Schulz wrote:
> I got the information and the permissions look fine. The FixMacTeX2013.pkg fixed up the PATH so there is no need to
separately set up PATH (unless you also have a distribution via Macports or Fink).

> Installing the latest XCode and letting it install the command line tools should do the trick if `make' wasn't installed.

I installed XCode but the command "which make" returns nothing. Do I have reboot
(as in M$Windows)?

> PS: If you try using TeXShop to compile your files there is a latexmk engine (you have to activate it) which will do all
necessary processing so there would be no need to use your make file.
To activate the latexmk engine move the latexmk.engine file from
~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk two directories up, to
 ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines; you'll need to restart TeXShop. Then place the line

> % !TEX TS-program = latexmk
>
> at the top of your source file and simply Typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T) and
the file will be completely typeset through all necessary steps of
latex/bibtex(or biber)/makeindex to get a final product.

I use makefile mainly because I am used to it for years and I write my code
almost entirely using my favourite editor vi

It is a makefile that is almost 9 years old!!!! Only the variable FN is changed
as per the document in question. (I do not use any office product for any form
of documentation)

LATEX=latex
DVIPS=dvips -Ppdf
PSPDF=ps2pdf13
THUMBPDF=thumbpdf --modes=ps2pdf
MKIND=makeindex -s idxerr.ist -g
FN=myfile
all:
        $(LATEX)    $(FN).tex
        $(LATEX)    $(FN).tex
        $(MKIND)    $(FN).idx
        $(LATEX)    $(FN).tex
        $(DVIPS)    $(FN).dvi -o $(FN).ps
        $(PSPDF)    $(FN).ps
        $(THUMBPDF) $(FN).pdf
        $(LATEX)    $(FN).tex
        $(DVIPS)    $(FN).dvi -o $(FN).ps
        $(PSPDF)    $(FN).ps
clean:
        rm *.out *.log *.aux *.dvi *.ps

(Probably, the file looks primitive. The reason is simple, I learned LaTeX all
by myself and it has taken a bit of time to reach where I am. The thanks go to
the whole community out there and to member of DANTE e.v. of which I am a member)

Once in a while I use TeXShop.

Best regards
suren

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Mountain Lion neither makefile nor latex command functions

Peter Dyballa

Am 12.11.2013 um 19:23 schrieb NMPOST7:

> I installed XCode but the command "which make" returns nothing. Do I have reboot
> (as in M$Windows)?

No! Log out and in again.

If the majority of cooking accidents happen in the kitchen, then why don't we just cook in other rooms?

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Nov 12, 2013, at 12:23 PM, NMPOST7 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I installed XCode but the command "which make" returns nothing. Do I have reboot
> (as in M$Windows)?

Howdy,

First start up XCode and let it install the command line tools. (I don't remember how it used to work. The latest tests and asks for permission to install; earlier versions may require you to look under the XCode Menu to install the tools.) Then check with

which make

again. You may have to re-boot but I don't remember.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On 12/11/2013 20:33, NMPOST7 wrote:

> On 12/11/2013 20:16, Richard Koch wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> On my Mavericks,
>>
>> which make
>>
>> gives
>>
>> /usr/bin/make
>
> I am still on Mountain Lion. I just rebooted but the command which make returns
> nothing.
>
> XCode is installed.
>
> I am wondering what I need to do. :(

Hello Herb/Dick,

solved!
the command line tools were NOT installed. Had to go to
Preferences/Downloads  and then select Command Line Tools and install!

That did it!! what a relief

Thanks for the help

warm regards
suren

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Mountain Lion neither makefile nor latex command functions

Berend Hasselman

On 12-11-2013, at 19:23, NMPOST7 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/11/2013 18:47, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>> I got the information and the permissions look fine. The FixMacTeX2013.pkg fixed up the PATH so there is no need to
> separately set up PATH (unless you also have a distribution via Macports or Fink).
>>
>> Installing the latest XCode and letting it install the command line tools should do the trick if `make' wasn't installed.
>
> I installed XCode but the command "which make" returns nothing. Do I have reboot
> (as in M$Windows)?
>

>> PS: If you try using TeXShop to compile your files there is a latexmk engine (you have to activate it) which will do all
> necessary processing so there would be no need to use your make file.
> To activate the latexmk engine move the latexmk.engine file from
> ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk two directories up, to
> ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines; you'll need to restart TeXShop. Then place the line
>>
>> % !TEX TS-program = latexmk
>>
>> at the top of your source file and simply Typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T) and
> the file will be completely typeset through all necessary steps of
> latex/bibtex(or biber)/makeindex to get a final product.
>

> I use makefile mainly because I am used to it for years and I write my code
> almost entirely using my favourite editor vi
>
> It is a makefile that is almost 9 years old!!!! Only the variable FN is changed
> as per the document in question. (I do not use any office product for any form
> of documentation)
>

> LATEX=latex
> DVIPS=dvips -Ppdf
> PSPDF=ps2pdf13
> THUMBPDF=thumbpdf --modes=ps2pdf
> MKIND=makeindex -s idxerr.ist -g
> FN=myfile
> all:
> $(LATEX)    $(FN).tex
> $(LATEX)    $(FN).tex
> $(MKIND)    $(FN).idx
> $(LATEX)    $(FN).tex
> $(DVIPS)    $(FN).dvi -o $(FN).ps
> $(PSPDF)    $(FN).ps
> $(THUMBPDF) $(FN).pdf
> $(LATEX)    $(FN).tex
> $(DVIPS)    $(FN).dvi -o $(FN).ps
> $(PSPDF)    $(FN).ps
> clean:
> rm *.out *.log *.aux *.dvi *.ps
>

> (Probably, the file looks primitive. The reason is simple, I learned LaTeX all
> by myself and it has taken a bit of time to reach where I am. The thanks go to
> the whole community out there and to member of DANTE e.v. of which I am a member)

You really should have a look at latexmk.
man latexmk is your friend.

I’m quite sure this can be simplified considerably.

Berend

> Once in a while I use TeXShop.
>

> Best regards
> suren