New distribution

12

New distribution

George Gratzer-4
My new distribution works fine (thanks to all), but the TeX icons became generic.

??

My fault?

GG

--
Sent from Postbox

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: New distribution

Alan Litchfield
George,

What version of OS X are you on?

I get that a lot with 10.13, High Sierra. It doesn’t affect the machine performance though.

Alan
--
Dr Alan Litchfield
AlphaByte

On 11/05/2018, at 06:30, gratzer <[hidden email]> wrote:

My new distribution works fine (thanks to all), but the TeX icons became generic.

??

My fault?

GG

--
Sent from Postbox
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: New distribution

> On May 10, 2018, at 1:30 PM, gratzer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My new distribution works fine (thanks to all), but the TeX icons became generic.
>
> ??
>
> My fault?
>
> GG

Howdy,

Sigh... here we go again.

I assume you mean that what used to be a TeXShop document icon is now a generic icon.

First, please open the Terminal application and type

mdls

with a space after the `s'. Then drag and drop one of the files with a generic icon onto the Terminal window and press Return. Look for an item called kMDItemContentType and let me know what it is set to. For normal icons I get

kMDItemContentType                     = "edu.uo.texshop.tex"

(there's lots of other output).

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: New distribution

Murray Eisenberg
Same thing here. I’m getting:

   kMDItemContentType                     =“public.tex"

> On 10 May2018, at 3:56 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On May 10, 2018, at 1:30 PM, gratzer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> My new distribution works fine (thanks to all), but the TeX icons became generic.
>>
>> ??
>>
>> My fault?
>>
>> GG
>
> Howdy,
>
> Sigh... here we go again.
>
> I assume you mean that what used to be a TeXShop document icon is now a generic icon.
>
> First, please open the Terminal application and type
>
> mdls
>
> with a space after the `s'. Then drag and drop one of the files with a generic icon onto the Terminal window and press Return. Look for an item called kMDItemContentType and let me know what it is set to. For normal icons I get
>
> kMDItemContentType                     = "edu.uo.texshop.tex"
>
> (there's lots of other output).

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: New distribution

Herbert Schulz
> On May 10, 2018, at 3:06 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Same thing here. I’m getting:
>
>   kMDItemContentType                     =“public.tex"
>
>> On 10 May2018, at 3:56 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On May 10, 2018, at 1:30 PM, gratzer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> My new distribution works fine (thanks to all), but the TeX icons became generic.
>>>
>>> ??
>>>
>>> My fault?
>>>
>>> GG
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Sigh... here we go again.
>>
>> I assume you mean that what used to be a TeXShop document icon is now a generic icon.
>>
>> First, please open the Terminal application and type
>>
>> mdls
>>
>> with a space after the `s'. Then drag and drop one of the files with a generic icon onto the Terminal window and press Return. Look for an item called kMDItemContentType and let me know what it is set to. For normal icons I get
>>
>> kMDItemContentType                     = "edu.uo.texshop.tex"
>>
>> (there's lots of other output).
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

Ah... I think I can help. First delete LaTeXiT! Then do a Safe Boot (Hold down the Shift key when the tone sounds until your get the Booting screen). Re-boot normally. Then Download the zipped LaTeXiT.app from my download site, <https://herbs.github.io>. Finally unzip it and place it where you had LaTeXiT before. It may take some time but the icons will probably come back. There are other things that can cause this so this isn't guaranteed.

An explanation: LaTeXiT.app has another application, LaTeXiT Helper.app, internally. Unfortunately, that application defines a ``UTI'', public.tex, for .tex files that it shouldn't define. The (damn) OS should use the icon for the application defined to Open the file when double clicked but that's not the way it works; it uses the UTI. There can be multiple UTI's defined for .tex files and you never know which one the OS will choose (e.g., BBEdit defines one too). Not only that, every once in a while the OS cleans things up and rebuilds that database so the UTI used can change out from underneath you. The version of LaTeXiT on my download site fixes up LaTeXiT Helper.app to not define that UTI so fixes that problem. By removing the old LaTeXiT and booting into Safe Mode that database gets cleaned up. Then when you put the new LaTeXiT in place that UTI is no longer defined.

As I said, there are other applications that define their of UTI for .tex files so there are lots of ways for the OS to mess up the icons. While not ideal I've started to use TeXShop to edit all sorts of text-like files just so I can remove other interfering UTIs; even my well loved BBEdit!

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: New distribution

Murray Eisenberg
Yeah! That works, thank you.

Should MacTeX itself not have this fix incorporated??

On 10 May2018, at 4:29 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: New distribution

juan tolosa
Herb,
My TeX icons disappeared long ago, in one of the many updates (I would say, about five years ago). I didn’t give it much thought, since this is a secondary issue. However, I decided to try your advice, only I didn’t get anything remotely similar to
> kMDItemContentType                     = “edu.uo.texshop.tex”
I got lots of “no job control” lines instead.

I must say, I don’t use the terminal practically ever (my knowledge of working with terminal is close to zero).
Best,
Juan

> On May 10, 2018, at 3:56 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On May 10, 2018, at 1:30 PM, gratzer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> My new distribution works fine (thanks to all), but the TeX icons became generic.
>>
>> ??
>>
>> My fault?
>>
>> GG
>
> Howdy,
>
> Sigh... here we go again.
>
> I assume you mean that what used to be a TeXShop document icon is now a generic icon.
>
> First, please open the Terminal application and type
>
> mdls
>
> with a space after the `s'. Then drag and drop one of the files with a generic icon onto the Terminal window and press Return. Look for an item called kMDItemContentType and let me know what it is set to. For normal icons I get
>
> kMDItemContentType                     = "edu.uo.texshop.tex"
>
> (there's lots of other output).

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: New distribution

Richard Koch-2
Herbert Schulz,

It is interesting to read about the amazing voodoo you concocted to get icons back. Every so often I try to make sense of Apple's icon design, but without much success.

I wonder if you'd mind writing Pierre Chatelier about your discovery and asking him if he would mind removing the troublesome UTI for LaTeXiT Helper. Pierre is keeping LaTeXiT up to date, which is great for all of us, but I have the impression that he no longer uses TeX for his own work, so he may not see this mail chain. I'm very much against modifying applications in MacTeX behind the author's back.

But perhaps we can make things a little smoother for users while continuing to do the right thing with author's works.

(Similarly, as you know, TUG doesn't directly modify style and class files, but instead insists that authors make the modifications and submit them to CTAN. TUG then gets the new versions from CTAN.)

Dick Koch

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: New distribution

John Rawnsley-2

On 10 May 2018, at 23:21, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Should MacTeX itself not have this fix incorporated??

No, thanks.

I use BBEdit+Terminal+Skim+Sneep’s scripts to process my .tex files so my

kMDItemContentType             = "com.barebones.bbedit.tex-source"

and I want it to stay that way.

I use TeXShop and Texpad from time to time but I want double-clicking to open BBEdit.

May I take this opportunity to thank all the MacTeX gang for their gargantuan labours? Much appreciated.

--
John Rawnsley | Professor Emeritus  | Mathematics Institute
Zeeman Building | University of Warwick | Coventry  | CV4 7AL, UK

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: New distribution

"Néstor E. Aguilera"

> On 11 May 2018, at 05:18, John Rawnsley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 10 May 2018, at 23:21, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Should MacTeX itself not have this fix incorporated??
>
> No, thanks.
>
> I use BBEdit+Terminal+Skim+Sneep’s scripts to process my .tex files so my
>
> kMDItemContentType             = "com.barebones.bbedit.tex-source"
>
> and I want it to stay that way.

I am using BBEdit + Terminal + Skim + Sneep's scripts too, and get a mix of results.

Mostly I get

   kMDItemContentType                 = "edu.uo.texshop.tex"

but the icon's image usually is BBEdit's if in list view (which is the one I use) and generic in icon view. Some files have the old TextWrangler icon (I haven't used it for some time) and some other files have a Texshop icon.

Does the icon mean much? It seems to me that the application opening a file may be independent of the icon in the view. Am I right?

> [...]

Best,

Nestor
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: New distribution

> On May 11, 2018, at 3:18 AM, John Rawnsley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 10 May 2018, at 23:21, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Should MacTeX itself not have this fix incorporated??
>
> No, thanks.
>
> I use BBEdit+Terminal+Skim+Sneep’s scripts to process my .tex files so my
>
> kMDItemContentType             = "com.barebones.bbedit.tex-source"
>
> and I want it to stay that way.
>
> I use TeXShop and Texpad from time to time but I want double-clicking to open BBEdit.
>
> May I take this opportunity to thank all the MacTeX gang for their gargantuan labours? Much appreciated.

Howdy,

That's a `fix' for LaTeXiT and doesn't change your situation at all.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: New distribution

> On May 11, 2018, at 7:24 AM, Néstor E. Aguilera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 11 May 2018, at 05:18, John Rawnsley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 10 May 2018, at 23:21, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Should MacTeX itself not have this fix incorporated??
>>
>> No, thanks.
>>
>> I use BBEdit+Terminal+Skim+Sneep’s scripts to process my .tex files so my
>>
>> kMDItemContentType             = "com.barebones.bbedit.tex-source"
>>
>> and I want it to stay that way.
>
> I am using BBEdit + Terminal + Skim + Sneep's scripts too, and get a mix of results.
>
> Mostly I get
>
>   kMDItemContentType                 = "edu.uo.texshop.tex"
>
> but the icon's image usually is BBEdit's if in list view (which is the one I use) and generic in icon view. Some files have the old TextWrangler icon (I haven't used it for some time) and some other files have a Texshop icon.
>
> Does the icon mean much? It seems to me that the application opening a file may be independent of the icon in the view. Am I right?
>
>> [...]
>
> Best,
>
> Nestor

Howdy,

The icon doesn't matter in terms of use. It's purely aesthetic.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: New distribution

> On May 10, 2018, at 11:21 PM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Herbert Schulz,
>
> It is interesting to read about the amazing voodoo you concocted to get icons back. Every so often I try to make sense of Apple's icon design, but without much success.

Voodoo it is!

> I wonder if you'd mind writing Pierre Chatelier about your discovery and asking him if he would mind removing the troublesome UTI for LaTeXiT Helper. Pierre is keeping LaTeXiT up to date, which is great for all of us, but I have the impression that he no longer uses TeX for his own work, so he may not see this mail chain. I'm very much against modifying applications in MacTeX behind the author's back.

I've just done that. I believe he's been contacted before but I'm not sure.

> But perhaps we can make things a little smoother for users while continuing to do the right thing with author's works.
>
> (Similarly, as you know, TUG doesn't directly modify style and class files, but instead insists that authors make the modifications and submit them to CTAN. TUG then gets the new versions from CTAN.)
>
> Dick Koch

This is only one thing that can cause the problem. Maybe I'm being too hard on Apple about this but I really don't see any reason not to tie the displayed icon to an app that is defined to be the primary ``owner'' of a type pf file (i.e., the app opened when the file is double-clicked). I can understand if the primary application hasn't been defined yet but certainly not using the wrong icon even though it is opened with the correct application.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: New distribution

Gray, Gary L
> On May 10, 2018, at 4:29 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ah... I think I can help. First delete LaTeXiT! Then do a Safe Boot (Hold down the Shift key when the tone sounds until your get the Booting screen). Re-boot normally. Then Download the zipped LaTeXiT.app from my download site, <https://herbs.github.io>. Finally unzip it and place it where you had LaTeXiT before. It may take some time but the icons will probably come back. There are other things that can cause this so this isn't guaranteed.
>
> An explanation: LaTeXiT.app has another application, LaTeXiT Helper.app, internally. Unfortunately, that application defines a ``UTI'', public.tex, for .tex files that it shouldn't define. The (damn) OS should use the icon for the application defined to Open the file when double clicked but that's not the way it works; it uses the UTI. There can be multiple UTI's defined for .tex files and you never know which one the OS will choose (e.g., BBEdit defines one too). Not only that, every once in a while the OS cleans things up and rebuilds that database so the UTI used can change out from underneath you. The version of LaTeXiT on my download site fixes up LaTeXiT Helper.app to not define that UTI so fixes that problem. By removing the old LaTeXiT and booting into Safe Mode that database gets cleaned up. Then when you put the new LaTeXiT in place that UTI is no longer defined.
>
> As I said, there are other applications that define their of UTI for .tex files so there are lots of ways for the OS to mess up the icons. While not ideal I've started to use TeXShop to edit all sorts of text-like files just so I can remove other interfering UTIs; even my well loved BBEdit!

Herb,

I performed your “voodoo” on my machine and now all .tex files have BBEdit icons. Great sadness. At least they are not plain white icons, I suppose.

By the way, running mdls on a .tex file with a BBEdit icon still gives me

kMDItemContentType                 = “public.tex"

as it did before I sacrificed a chicken to the macOS gods.

Gary
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: New distribution

Herbert Schulz
> On May 11, 2018, at 8:54 AM, Gary L. Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Herb,
>
> I performed your “voodoo” on my machine and now all .tex files have BBEdit icons. Great sadness. At least they are not plain white icons, I suppose.
>
> By the way, running mdls on a .tex file with a BBEdit icon still gives me
>
> kMDItemContentType                 = “public.tex"
>
> as it did before I sacrificed a chicken to the macOS gods.
>
> Gary

Howdy,

I said there were no guarantees. Just for more voodoo, try to check/uncheck the `show icon preview' box in the View->Show View Options (Cmd-J) in Finder for a window that has the files in it.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: New distribution

Gray, Gary L
> On May 11, 2018, at 10:02 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I said there were no guarantees. Just for more voodoo, try to check/uncheck the `show icon preview' box in the View->Show View Options (Cmd-J) in Finder for a window that has the files in it.

No luck. Thank you anyway.

Gary
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: New distribution

> On May 11, 2018, at 9:02 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On May 11, 2018, at 8:54 AM, Gary L. Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Herb,
>>
>> I performed your “voodoo” on my machine and now all .tex files have BBEdit icons. Great sadness. At least they are not plain white icons, I suppose.
>>
>> By the way, running mdls on a .tex file with a BBEdit icon still gives me
>>
>> kMDItemContentType                 = “public.tex"
>>
>> as it did before I sacrificed a chicken to the macOS gods.
>>
>> Gary
>
> Howdy,
>
> I said there were no guarantees. Just for more voodoo, try to check/uncheck the `show icon preview' box in the View->Show View Options (Cmd-J) in Finder for a window that has the files in it.

Since that database hasn't changed given that UTI should no longer exist I assume it hasn't been updated.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: New distribution

Adam R. Maxwell

On May 11, 2018, at 07:18 , Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 11, 2018, at 9:02 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 11, 2018, at 8:54 AM, Gary L. Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

Herb,

I performed your “voodoo” on my machine and now all .tex files have BBEdit icons. Great sadness. At least they are not plain white icons, I suppose.

By the way, running mdls on a .tex file with a BBEdit icon still gives me

kMDItemContentType                 = “public.tex"

as it did before I sacrificed a chicken to the macOS gods.

Gary

Howdy,

I said there were no guarantees. Just for more voodoo, try to check/uncheck the `show icon preview' box in the View->Show View Options (Cmd-J) in Finder for a window that has the files in it.

Since that database hasn't changed given that UTI should no longer exist I assume it hasn't been updated.

You can update the Launch Services database by moving the application you modified to a different folder and then back again, using Finder.

Still, this problem will not go away unless everyone agrees on a common UTI for .tex documents, but I no longer have the will to fight that battle. It might go away if other applications start declaring all known .tex UTIs as UTImported, I guess.

My whitepaper on UTIs is still available here:

-- adam

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: New distribution

Herbert Schulz
> On May 11, 2018, at 9:41 AM, Adam R. Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> I said there were no guarantees. Just for more voodoo, try to check/uncheck the `show icon preview' box in the View->Show View Options (Cmd-J) in Finder for a window that has the files in it.
>>>
>>> Good Luck,
>>>
>>> Herb Schulz
>>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Since that database hasn't changed given that UTI should no longer exist I assume it hasn't been updated.
>
> You can update the Launch Services database by moving the application you modified to a different folder and then back again, using Finder.
>
> Still, this problem will not go away unless everyone agrees on a common UTI for .tex documents, but I no longer have the will to fight that battle. It might go away if other applications start declaring all known .tex UTIs as UTImported, I guess.
>
> My whitepaper on UTIs is still available here:
>
> https://github.com/amaxwell/mactex_uti/blob/master/mactex_uti.pdf
>
> -- adam

Howdy,

Thanks for getting involved with this discussion! That paper has been very helpful to my (partial) understanding of the situation.

Besides rebuilding the Launch Services DB as you stated (I believe the Safe Boot does that too) I believe you can force a rebuild of the Spotlight DB by dragging your HD icon to the Privacy tab of System Preferences->Spotlight, Quitting System Preferences and then go back and remove it (Select it and click the -). The first operation should delete it and the second starts the rebuild. Please let me know if that will do the job.

While the Spotlight DB is rebuilding you might notice reduced performance on other jobs. With an SSD it shouldn't take an undue amount of time; go grab a cup of coffee, read a good book and let the system churn away. :-)

Hope this helps! Unfortunately it's really a hit or miss.

PS: Is there any way to petition Apple to define the public.tex UTI (aren't they the only ones that should be defining in that domain?) once and for all? Is that a hopeless adventure?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/