No messages in TeXShop console

Stephen Anderson
Since upgrading to TexShop 4.17/MacOS 10.14.1 on my MBP-retina, I notice that messages no longer show up in the TeXShop console when I run LaTeX on a document. I have the document open (not for editing, since I use AquaMacs for that), and click on the Typeset or BibTeX buttons; focus shifts to the document console window and the program in question runs; the console window scrolls down but nothing appears in it. Then focus returns to the typeset document window, but there are no messages to show what happened (including any errors that may have occurred). What’s up?

--

Steve Anderson

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: No messages in TeXShop console

Themis Matsoukas-6
I don't see what you describe but I often see a related problem: the console prints but then stops without printing the entire log. The document typesets properly. I have seen this behavior repeatedly, but it is intermittent and cannot reproduce it at will.

OS 10.14.1 + TS 4.17 + 13 inch MBP retina.

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: No messages in TeXShop console

> On Nov 30, 2018, at 2:22 PM, Stephen Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Since upgrading to TexShop 4.17/MacOS 10.14.1 on my MBP-retina, I notice that messages no longer show up in the TeXShop console when I run LaTeX on a document. I have the document open (not for editing, since I use AquaMacs for that), and click on the Typeset or BibTeX buttons; focus shifts to the document console window and the program in question runs; the console window scrolls down but nothing appears in it. Then focus returns to the typeset document window, but there are no messages to show what happened (including any errors that may have occurred). What’s up?
>
> --
>
> Steve Anderson

Howdy,

Are you using Dark Mode or Light Mode? Take a look at the Log section in the Themes tab of TeXShop->Preferences. Make sure the Text color and Background color are set so you can see the text against the background.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: No messages in TeXShop console

> On Nov 30, 2018, at 3:10 PM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don't see what you describe but I often see a related problem: the console prints but then stops without printing the entire log. The document typesets properly. I have seen this behavior repeatedly, but it is intermittent and cannot reproduce it at will.
>
> OS 10.14.1 + TS 4.17 + 13 inch MBP retina.
>
> Themis

Howdy,

The Console output has never been the complete Log which contains much more information. Am I misinterpreting you?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: No messages in TeXShop console

Themis Matsoukas-6
Herb,

I was imprecise. Normally, the last line on the console is "Transcript written on file.log." Sometimes, however (like just now) the console stops early,  in this case after printing

(/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/tex/latex/revtex/revsymb4-1.sty

Nothing else was printed on the console after this, even though typesetting went through without errors.

Themis

> On Nov 30, 2018, at 4:33 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 30, 2018, at 3:10 PM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I don't see what you describe but I often see a related problem: the console prints but then stops without printing the entire log. The document typesets properly. I have seen this behavior repeatedly, but it is intermittent and cannot reproduce it at will.
>>
>> OS 10.14.1 + TS 4.17 + 13 inch MBP retina.
>>
>> Themis
>
> Howdy,
>
> The Console output has never been the complete Log which contains much more information. Am I misinterpreting you?

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: No messages in TeXShop console

Herbert Schulz
> On Nov 30, 2018, at 5:15 PM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Herb,
>
> I was imprecise. Normally, the last line on the console is "Transcript written on file.log." Sometimes, however (like just now) the console stops early,  in this case after printing
>
> (/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/tex/latex/revtex/revsymb4-1.sty
>
> Nothing else was printed on the console after this, even though typesetting went through without errors.
>
> Themis
>

>> On Nov 30, 2018, at 4:33 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Nov 30, 2018, at 3:10 PM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't see what you describe but I often see a related problem: the console prints but then stops without printing the entire log. The document typesets properly. I have seen this behavior repeatedly, but it is intermittent and cannot reproduce it at will.
>>>
>>> OS 10.14.1 + TS 4.17 + 13 inch MBP retina.
>>>
>>> Themis
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> The Console output has never been the complete Log which contains much more information. Am I misinterpreting you?
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

That's interesting. I've had a few rare cases where it appears that the input to the console crashes and processing stops. If I clean up and start over it goes through. This is all under Mojave.

How do you know the process completed? Does the pdf actually update?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: No messages in TeXShop console

"M. Tamer Özsu"-2
This happens to me frequently as well.

==Tamer

Sent from my mobile, excuse the brevity and typos.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

On Nov 30, 2018, at 6:20 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How do you know the process completed? Does the pdf actually update?

Yes, the pdf gets updated as far as I can tell. I’ll have to watch this more carefully next time.

Themis
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: No messages in TeXShop console

Gray, Gary L
I also see this. Quite frequently of late.

Gary

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/