[OFF] Printing MathJax/StackExchange?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[OFF] Printing MathJax/StackExchange?

david craig
I know this is off-topic, but since it’s math-, font-, and TeX-related, I figured this crowd would be about as good as it gets.

Occasionally I’d like to be able to print answers from stackexchange, either on paper or direct to pdf.   The results I get, from every browser I’ve tried (oops, up to now… see below), are incredibly poor.  I will leave aside the weird way things print from stackexchange directly, since there is http://www.stackprinter.com/, presumably created to deal with the aforementioned annoyance.   In either case, the answers are rendered in MathJax, but when I print, especially the greek characters are converted to something else, and the result is typically useless, or close to it.  For example, here is a question and its stackprinter-rendered equivalent:

<https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/18078/>
<http://www.stackprinter.com/export?question=18078&service=physics.stackexchange>

They render just fine on-sxreen, but when I print, from Chrome or Safari, either to paper or to pdf, I get this:

<http://physics.oregonstate.edu/~craigda/tmp/physics-18078.pdf>

I’m not sure why/where the font substitution is occurring, but it seems to be at the system level since I get the same result from Safari and Chrome.  

Curiously, I just discovered that I do NOT get the same result from Firefox (which I rarely use), which prints to pdf as rendered on the screen.  So that’s a good clue … for someone else, since I don’t know how these things work under the hood.  Is this a webkit issue, since Firefox doesn’t use webkit?

I would appreciate some help in diagnosing/fixing this so I can print the stackprinter results in a useful form, preferably from Chrome.  (At least in asking the question I discovered a work-around!  I’d still like to understand the underlying issue and not be forced to use Firefox if I can avoid it however.)

Thanks,
David Craig
----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OFF] Printing MathJax/StackExchange?

Ross Moore-3
Hello David,

On 31 Oct 2018, at 7:02 am, David Craig <[hidden email]> wrote:

I know this is off-topic, but since it’s math-, font-, and TeX-related, I figured this crowd would be about as good as it gets.

Occasionally I’d like to be able to print answers from stackexchange, either on paper or direct to pdf. The results I get, from every browser I’ve tried (oops, up to now… see below), are incredibly poor. I will leave aside the weird way things print from stackexchange directly, since there is http://www.stackprinter.com/, presumably created to deal with the aforementioned annoyance. In either case, the answers are rendered in MathJax, but when I print, especially the greek characters are converted to something else, and the result is typically useless, or close to it. For example, here is a question and its stackprinter-rendered equivalent:

<https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/18078/>
<http://www.stackprinter.com/export?question=18078&service=physics.stackexchange>

They render just fine on-sxreen, but when I print, from Chrome or Safari, either to paper or to pdf, I get this:

<http://physics.oregonstate.edu/~craigda/tmp/physics-18078.pdf>

Are you saying that both the above links print badly?
The  stackprinter.com  page prints to PDF just fine for me, using Safari on MacOS 10.13.6 .


Unfortunately  physics.stackexchange.com  is playing up badly at the moment,
so I cannot try that one.


I’m not sure why/where the font substitution is occurring, but it seems to be at the system level since I get the same result from Safari and Chrome.

Curiously, I just discovered that I do NOT get the same result from Firefox (which I rarely use), which prints to pdf as rendered on the screen. So that’s a good clue … for someone else, since I don’t know how these things work under the hood. Is this a webkit issue, since Firefox doesn’t use webkit?

I would appreciate some help in diagnosing/fixing this so I can print the stackprinter results in a useful form, preferably from Chrome. (At least in asking the question I discovered a work-around! I’d still like to understand the underlying issue and not be forced to use Firefox if I can avoid it however.)

Thanks,
David Craig


Hope this helps.

Ross


Dr Ross Moore
Mathematics Dept | 12 Wally’s Walk, 734
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia
T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: +61 2 9850 8114
M:+61 407 288 255  |  E: [hidden email]

http://www.maths.mq.edu.au


----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex

Time-ordering vs normal-ordering and the two-point functionpropagator.pdf (202K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OFF] Printing MathJax/StackExchange?

Stefan Evert-3
In reply to this post by david craig


> On 30 Oct 2018, at 21:02, David Craig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Curiously, I just discovered that I do NOT get the same result from Firefox (which I rarely use), which prints to pdf as rendered on the screen.  So that’s a good clue … for someone else, since I don’t know how these things work under the hood.  Is this a webkit issue, since Firefox doesn’t use webkit?

Works for me in Safari 12.0 (MacOS 10.13.6).  

My PDF looks like the Web page from stackprinter.com (can't see the original since I only get an error message at that URL).  Your PDF only seems to differ in that the Greek superscripts in the first equation are broken.

Which version of Safari do you use?

And, of course: Have you turned it off and on again?  At least in earlier OS versions, the font cache sometimes got corrupted and would fail to render certain characters properly until the next reboot.

Best,
Stefan
----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OFF] Printing MathJax/StackExchange?

david craig
In reply to this post by Ross Moore-3

> On Oct 30, 2018, at 2:36 PM, Ross Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 31 Oct 2018, at 7:02 am, David Craig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> <https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/18078/>
>> <http://www.stackprinter.com/export?question=18078&service=physics.stackexchange>
>>
>> They render just fine on-sxreen, but when I print, from Chrome or Safari, either to paper or to pdf, I get this:
>>
>> <http://physics.oregonstate.edu/~craigda/tmp/physics-18078.pdf>
>
> Are you saying that both the above links print badly?

The linked pdf (which is clearly messed up) is the result of printing to pdf the stackprinter link, yes.

> The  stackprinter.com  page prints to PDF just fine for me, using Safari on MacOS 10.13.6 .

Hmm… not sure what to make of that.

David Craig


<http://www.panix.com/~dac/>

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex