OS X and iOS Futures (was LaTeXit and Keynote 6)

OS X and iOS Futures (was LaTeXit and Keynote 6)

Red Roo
I wanted to follow up on this important comment made by Herb Schulz as a side remark in another thread:
> > Le 6 nov. 2013 ? 20:46, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> a ?crit :
> In addition this looks like a troubling trend at Apple. I DON'T want my
> Mac to be an iPad with a real keyboard and no touchscreen! OS X is much
> more powerful that iOS and allows you to do many things that aren't
> available under iOS and the apps shold take advantage of that. I.e.,
> iPad apps have to be ``dumbed down'' on that platform and you shouldn't
> then dumb down those apps on the Mac for the sake of being
> ``compatible''. this kind of trend scares me.

This convergence to the LCD of OSes seems almost inevitable, given the huge burden associated with managing two complex OSes and the pull of rapidly growing profits associated with the mobile market. Personally, however, I can't envisage writing another technical book using LaTeX on an iPad; certainly not in the current state of either. Moreover, the broad appeal of Macbooks hinges on their ability to be used as Unix machines.

In that sense, I share Herb's concerns. Actually, I saw this possibility coming when iOS was first released. I was worried then that Steve Jobs might eventually let Mac support decline because of its smaller market share---as Apple has done most recently with say, Xserve.

Until I saw Herb's remark, I wasn't sure anyone else had foreseen this  problem. This raises the question, might there be some way that the MacTeX community could make this viewpoint known to the decision makers at Apple? The decisions will very likely be made sooner rather than later.

Maybe this is already being done or done elsewhere (perhaps more directly via the OSX dev community). Or, maybe others don't see it as an important issue. But primarily I wanted to second Herb's point here, just in case, as well as find out what MacTex developers think about it.

--njg

Performance Dynamics Company http://www.perfdynamics.com/
http://www.facebook.com/PerformanceDynamics
Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/DrQz
Blog http://perfdynamics.blogspot.com/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: OS X and iOS Futures (was LaTeXit and Keynote 6)

Alain Schremmer-2

On Nov 14, 2013, at 4:31 PM, Red Roo wrote:

> Until I saw Herb's remark, I wasn't sure anyone else had foreseen
> this  problem. This raises the question, might there be some way
> that the MacTeX community could make this viewpoint known to the
> decision makers at Apple? The decisions will very likely be made
> sooner rather than later.
>
> Maybe this is already being done or done elsewhere (perhaps more
> directly via the OSX dev community). Or, maybe others don't see it
> as an important issue. But primarily I wanted to second Herb's point
> here, just in case, as well as find out what MacTex developers think
> about it.

Inevitably, sooner or later, support for the Mac OS is going to be
ended just as support for, say, the Power PC was dropped---as well as,
more generally, support for 10.4 and 10.5.

It seems to me that the only solution is something along the lines of
TenFourFox but I have no idea what/who is behind it. But, indeed, I
have finally switched from Safari to TenFourFox. The latter does not
support plugins but, at least, does not crash the way Safari does and
certainly seems to be maintained.

Hopeful regards
--schremmer

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: OS X and iOS Futures (was LaTeXit and Keynote 6)

Herbert Schulz

On Nov 16, 2013, at 2:40 PM, Alain Schremmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2013, at 4:31 PM, Red Roo wrote:
>
>> Until I saw Herb's remark, I wasn't sure anyone else had foreseen this  problem. This raises the question, might there be some way that the MacTeX community could make this viewpoint known to the decision makers at Apple? The decisions will very likely be made sooner rather than later.
>>
>> Maybe this is already being done or done elsewhere (perhaps more directly via the OSX dev community). Or, maybe others don't see it as an important issue. But primarily I wanted to second Herb's point here, just in case, as well as find out what MacTex developers think about it.
>
> Inevitably, sooner or later, support for the Mac OS is going to be ended just as support for, say, the Power PC was dropped---as well as, more generally, support for 10.4 and 10.5.
>
> It seems to me that the only solution is something along the lines of TenFourFox but I have no idea what/who is behind it. But, indeed, I have finally switched from Safari to TenFourFox. The latter does not support plugins but, at least, does not crash the way Safari does and certainly seems to be maintained.
>
> Hopeful regards
> --schremmer

Howdy,

I believe OS X (no longer called Mac OS X and, once 10.0 came out, never as Mac OS) will be around for quite a while. You analogy isn't quite right since it was Motorola's and IBM's fault that they didn't keep promises in development of Power PC processors and Apple didn't really have a choice in going to another processor company. In terms of dropping support for 10.4 and 10.5 those versions of OS X have been superseded by later versions OS X and support for Power PC had to go away since those processors most likely couldn't provide the necessary performance increases the new versions of the OS needed.

PS: I know you're using a Power PC system running OS X 10.5 (and it took you quite a few years to go to that! :-)) but you really should take a look at more modern systems which will offer a 5--10-fold performance increase; you won't know what to do with your time. :-)

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Nov 16, 2013, at 3:56 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> PS: I know you're using a Power PC system running OS X 10.5 (and it
> took you quite a few years to go to that! :-))

I can't remember which application made me update but, at least, it
did not force me to trash my PPC.

> but you really should take a look at more modern systems which will
> offer a 5--10-fold performance increase; you won't know what to do
> with your time. :-)

I also use a 1998 truck, a 1936 brain and a 1885 house (yes, eighteen
eighty-five). What do you suggest? :-))

Hopeful regards
--schremmer

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Nov 16, 2013, at 3:20 PM, Alain Schremmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2013, at 3:56 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> PS: I know you're using a Power PC system running OS X 10.5 (and it took you quite a few years to go to that! :-))
>
> I can't remember which application made me update but, at least, it did not force me to trash my PPC.
>
>> but you really should take a look at more modern systems which will offer a 5--10-fold performance increase; you won't know what to do with your time. :-)
>

> I also use a 1998 truck, a 1936 brain and a 1885 house (yes, eighteen eighty-five). What do you suggest? :-))
>
> Hopeful regards
> --schremmer

Howdy,

You obviously haven't been forced to trash your PPC system so it's moot.

Ahhh... now I know what you can do with your spare time... keep your truck running! :-)

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Nov 16, 2013, at 4:28 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> Ahhh... now I know what you can do with your spare time... keep your
> truck running! :-)

This would be cruelty to computers: the new machine would have to wait
for my brain to run.

Best regards
--schremmer

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On 16.11.2013, at 21:56, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> PS: I know you're using a Power PC system running OS X 10.5 (and it took you quite a few years to go to that! :-)) but you really should take a look at more modern systems which will offer a 5--10-fold performance increase; you won't know what to do with your time. :-)

Herb,

is there a way to configure Mail that it looks like good old Mail from Snow Leopard, Leopard, Tiger, …? At the left my boxes, local and remote, upper right the individual eMails, presented as lines and sorted into threads, and below the contents of an individual eMail?

When I upgrade I want to keep my old habits!

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is; I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute."
                                – Dame Rebecca West

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: OS X and iOS Futures (was LaTeXit and Keynote 6)

Michael Welsh
On 17/11/2013, at 1050, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Herb,
>
> is there a way to configure Mail that it looks like good old Mail from Snow Leopard, Leopard, Tiger, …? At the left my boxes, local and remote, upper right the individual eMails, presented as lines and sorted into threads, and below the contents of an individual eMail?
>
> When I upgrade I want to keep my old habits!

Yes, there is a check box in preferences to use "Classic Layout"

Michael

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On Nov 16, 2013, at 3:50 PM, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16.11.2013, at 21:56, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> PS: I know you're using a Power PC system running OS X 10.5 (and it took you quite a few years to go to that! :-)) but you really should take a look at more modern systems which will offer a 5--10-fold performance increase; you won't know what to do with your time. :-)
>
> Herb,
>
> is there a way to configure Mail that it looks like good old Mail from Snow Leopard, Leopard, Tiger, …? At the left my boxes, local and remote, upper right the individual eMails, presented as lines and sorted into threads, and below the contents of an individual eMail?
>
> When I upgrade I want to keep my old habits!
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete

Howdy,

Sure is and I use it! :-)

Check Mail->Preferences->Viewing->Use classic layout.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/