Quantcast

PDF Compatibility?

Sam Bradley
I am writing a biography of my mother using TexShop 2.33 running on an iMac with OS X 10.6.3 operating system.  I am wanting to formally publish the resulting document using the Blurb micropublishing web site.  They are telling me that they accept PDF files submitted in PDF/X-3:2002 format set with Acrobat 4 (PDF1.3) compatibility.

I have no idea how to confirm that TexShop compiles my .tex file to this resulting .pdf file format.  Any ideas?  Thanks.  Sam.....

=================================
Sam Bradley
Vicksburg, MS

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: PDF Compatibility?

David Watson-2
On Apr 1, 2010, at 7:10 PM, Sam Bradley wrote:

> I am writing a biography of my mother using TexShop 2.33 running on an iMac with OS X 10.6.3 operating system.  I am wanting to formally publish the resulting document using the Blurb micropublishing web site.  They are telling me that they accept PDF files submitted in PDF/X-3:2002 format set with Acrobat 4 (PDF1.3) compatibility.

Looking at the properties of a document using the default LaTeX workflow in TeXShop, it seems it outputs files with Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4) compatibility.

> I have no idea how to confirm that TexShop compiles my .tex file to this resulting .pdf file format.  Any ideas?  Thanks.  Sam.....

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: PDF Compatibility?

On Apr 1, 2010, at 7:10 PM, Sam Bradley wrote:

> I am writing a biography of my mother using TexShop 2.33 running on an iMac with OS X 10.6.3 operating system.  I am wanting to formally publish the resulting document using the Blurb micropublishing web site.  They are telling me that they accept PDF files submitted in PDF/X-3:2002 format set with Acrobat 4 (PDF1.3) compatibility.
>
> I have no idea how to confirm that TexShop compiles my .tex file to this resulting .pdf file format.  Any ideas?  Thanks.  Sam.....
>
> =================================
> Sam Bradley
> Vicksburg, MS

By default pdflatex produces pdf1.4 (in TeX Live 2010 it will be pdf1.5) but you should be able to tell pdflatex to make pdf1.3 compliant code by putting the line

\pdfminorversion=3

in the preamble of the document.

I believe that latex(+dvips+distiller) uses ps2pdf13 as the distiller by default which also produced pdf1.3 compliant code.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: PDF Compatibility?

Michael Sharpe

On Apr 1, 2010, at 6:38 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2010, at 7:10 PM, Sam Bradley wrote:
>
>> I am writing a biography of my mother using TexShop 2.33 running on an iMac with OS X 10.6.3 operating system.  I am wanting to formally publish the resulting document using the Blurb micropublishing web site.  They are telling me that they accept PDF files submitted in PDF/X-3:2002 format set with Acrobat 4 (PDF1.3) compatibility.
>>
>> I have no idea how to confirm that TexShop compiles my .tex file to this resulting .pdf file format.  Any ideas?  Thanks.  Sam.....
>>
>> =================================
>> Sam Bradley
>> Vicksburg, MS
>> [hidden email]
>
> Howdy,
>
> By default pdflatex produces pdf1.4 (in TeX Live 2010 it will be pdf1.5) but you should be able to tell pdflatex to make pdf1.3 compliant code by putting the line
>
> \pdfminorversion=3
>
> in the preamble of the document.
>
> I believe that latex(+dvips+distiller) uses ps2pdf13 as the distiller by default which also produced pdf1.3 compliant code.

After you have a pdf1.3 document as output, you can open it in Preview and Save As, choosing the Quartz filter "Create Generic PDF/X3 Document". The result should satisfy the requirements, assuming you have embedded all fonts in the pdf.

Michael
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: PDF Compatibility?

Ramón Figueroa-Centeno
Aloha,

On a related note, today I saw this when  I updated with TeX Live Utility:

Package: pdf14

Starting with TeX Live 2010, the various formats that directly generate PDF will default to generating PDF 1.5. This is generally a good thing, but it can lead to compatibility issues with some older PDF viewers. This package changes the version of PDF generated with formats (based on pdfTeX or LuaTeX in PDF mode), back to 1.4 for documents that need to achieve maximal compatibility with old viewers.

Ramón

Re: PDF Compatibility?

Sam Bradley
David, Herbert, Michael and Ramon, thank you all for your help.  You not only gave me the answer, you gave me a couple of ways of getting there.  Thank you again.  Sam.....

Sam Bradley
Vicksburg, MS
[hidden email]

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/