Previous/Next buttons in TS preview

MacOSX-TeX mailing list
It used to be that after a fresh typeset, hitting the "Previous Page" button would always take you the first page of the document. I use this to jump to the table of contents when I work with books. In recent versions however the behavior is different. Sometimes , usually early in a fresh TS session, this works as before. However, after multiple typesets, especially when I work on the same page for a while, it takes multiple clicks of "Previous Page" to go to the front of the document, and as many (I haven't really counted :) to return to the page I was working on.  It is as if TS adds the current page multiple times its buffer for the Next/Previous buttons. Anyway, Iike the old way because it is a quick way to get to the table of contents and navigate a large document.

I am on TS 4.44.

Themis
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Previous/Next buttons in TS preview

Ross Moore-3
Hi Themis,

On 12 Dec 2019, at 6:35 am, Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:

It used to be that after a fresh typeset, hitting the "Previous Page" button would always take you the first page of the document. I use this to jump to the table of contents when I work with books. In recent versions however the behavior is different. Sometimes , usually early in a fresh TS session, this works as before. However, after multiple typesets, especially when I work on the same page for a while, it takes multiple clicks of "Previous Page" to go to the front of the document, and as many (I haven't really counted :) to return to the page I was working on. It is as if TS adds the current page multiple times its buffer for the Next/Previous buttons. Anyway, Iike the old way because it is a quick way to get to the table of contents and navigate a large document.

Do you include the hyperref package and generate Bookmarks for your document?
Then open the side panel in the TS Preview, and use these to get to any of your chapters and sections.

If you don’t get a bookmark automatically for the “Table of Contents”
then I can show you how to get one, using some quite simple LaTeX commands.

I am on TS 4.44.

Themis

Hope this helps.

Ross

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Previous/Next buttons in TS preview

> On Dec 11, 2019, at 1:35 PM, Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It used to be that after a fresh typeset, hitting the "Previous Page" button would always take you the first page of the document. I use this to jump to the table of contents when I work with books. In recent versions however the behavior is different. Sometimes , usually early in a fresh TS session, this works as before. However, after multiple typesets, especially when I work on the same page for a while, it takes multiple clicks of "Previous Page" to go to the front of the document, and as many (I haven't really counted :) to return to the page I was working on.  It is as if TS adds the current page multiple times its buffer for the Next/Previous buttons. Anyway, Iike the old way because it is a quick way to get to the table of contents and navigate a large document.
>
> I am on TS 4.44.
>
> Themis

Howdy,

Does Cmd-Up Arrow take you to the first page of the document?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Previous/Next buttons in TS preview

MacOSX-TeX mailing list

> On Dec 11, 2019, at 3:00 PM, Ross Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Do you include the hyperref package and generate Bookmarks for your document?
> Then open the side panel in the TS Preview, and use these to get to any of your chapters and sections.
>
> If you don’t get a bookmark automatically for the “Table of Contents”
> then I can show you how to get one, using some quite simple LaTeX commands.

Hi Ross,

great tip -- embarrassed to say I had never used the drawer before.

Themis
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

On Dec 11, 2019, at 3:07 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Does Cmd-Up Arrow take you to the first page of the document?
>
> Good Luck,

Hi Herb,

for me cm-up/down arrow does not works  in the preview window, only in the source. In the preview I can use cmd-left/right arrow to navigate page by page.

Themis
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Previous/Next buttons in TS preview

Herbert Schulz

> On Dec 11, 2019, at 3:01 PM, Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Dec 11, 2019, at 3:07 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Does Cmd-Up Arrow take you to the first page of the document?
>>
>> Good Luck,
>

> Hi Herb,
>
> for me cm-up/down arrow does not works  in the preview window, only in the source. In the preview I can use cmd-left/right arrow to navigate page by page.
>
> Themis

Howdy,

What page style setting are you using? See the Preview tab of TeXShop->Preferences. I used Multi-Page.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Previous/Next buttons in TS preview

MacOSX-TeX mailing list

> Howdy,
>
> What page style setting are you using? See the Preview tab of TeXShop->Preferences. I used Multi-Page.

I'm on Multi-Page as well, but cmd-Up/Down error does nothing on the preview window.. I tried on my laptop keyboard and with an extended usb keyboard, same behavior.

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Previous/Next buttons in TS preview

Herbert Schulz

> On Dec 12, 2019, at 7:02 AM, Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> What page style setting are you using? See the Preview tab of TeXShop->Preferences. I used Multi-Page.
>
> I'm on Multi-Page as well, but cmd-Up/Down error does nothing on the preview window.. I tried on my laptop keyboard and with an extended usb keyboard, same behavior.
>
> Themis

Howdy,

Hmmm... the only other setting I have that might have something to do with this is that I always show the scroll bar (System Preferences->General) since I find it helpful to visualize where I'm looking in the file and how much of that file is showing. PS: I'm using Catalina and Dark Mode but I'd guess that's irrelevant.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Previous/Next buttons in TS preview

Herbert Schulz

> On Dec 12, 2019, at 7:15 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 12, 2019, at 7:02 AM, Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> What page style setting are you using? See the Preview tab of TeXShop->Preferences. I used Multi-Page.
>>
>> I'm on Multi-Page as well, but cmd-Up/Down error does nothing on the preview window.. I tried on my laptop keyboard and with an extended usb keyboard, same behavior.
>>
>> Themis
>
> Howdy,
>
> Hmmm... the only other setting I have that might have something to do with this is that I always show the scroll bar (System Preferences->General) since I find it helpful to visualize where I'm looking in the file and how much of that file is showing. PS: I'm using Catalina and Dark Mode but I'd guess that's irrelevant.

One more thing... I have `Do not scroll' checked in the `Change Page Buttons' section of the `Preview' tab in TeXShop->Preferences. Again, I'm not sure this is relevant.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Previous/Next buttons in TS preview

MacOSX-TeX mailing list

>> Howdy,
>>
>> Hmmm... the only other setting I have that might have something to do with this is that I always show the scroll bar (System Preferences->General) since I find it helpful to visualize where I'm looking in the file and how much of that file is showing. PS: I'm using Catalina and Dark Mode but I'd guess that's irrelevant.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>>

> Howdy,
>
> One more thing... I have `Do not scroll' checked in the `Change Page Buttons' section of the `Preview' tab in TeXShop->Preferences. Again, I'm not sure this is relevant.

As I just discovered, my extended keyboard has four buttons labelled "home", "end", "page up" and "page down". The page-up/down buttons do what you are describing via cmd-up/down arrows and the other two scroll by page. I don't know how to get the same behavior using the keyboard on the laptop.

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/