Re-installing MacTex 2007

Owen Densmore
Administrator
I've got an existing install of TeX that I'd like to simplify/
upgrade.  My /usr/local/texlive dir is dated July 20 2007.

Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure how I made my initial install!  I
*think* I used Gerben Wierda's TeX distribution.

Things look like:
   - I have a system preference for TeX allowing me to switch
     between gwTeX and TeXLive-2007.
   - I have a TeX folder in /Applications with a single app,
     "TeX Distribution Helper", which is the sys pane for
     switching between TeX distros.
   - I have an older MacTeX.dmg dated 7/20/07 722.1MB, but the
     current MacTeX.dmg is dated 11/30/07, 744.4 MB.
   - There's a version of i-package in my utilities dir, dated
     July 20, 07
   - /usr/local contains both gwTeX and texlive.  The difference
     in size is a bit surprising:
       342M  gwTeX
       1.3G  texlive
     .. but this could be caused by different strategies in
     use of Mac Frameworks and simlinks.

Things work in that I can use textmate to magically create pdf's from
a test document.  I get errors with LaTeXiT, however, and cannot get
it to show any formula. I've checked LaTeXiT's install directories and
they appear to be correct.

So: I'd like to move to a simpler install.  I'm certainly not a TeX
expert, I mainly use it for math typesetting.  So I doubt I need
anything fancy.

I *think* I simply need to remove the gwTeX distro, probably toss i-
package, remove the TeX Distribution Sys Prefs panel, and install the
latest MacTeX via the latest .dmg.  Is this right?  I ask because I've
been through some fairly difficult installs and would like this to all
work right!

    -- Owen

Re-installing MacTex 2007

David Watson
On Jul 7, 2008, at 5:42 PM, Owen Densmore wrote:

> I've got an existing install of TeX that I'd like to simplify/
> upgrade.  My /usr/local/texlive dir is dated July 20 2007.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure how I made my initial install!
> I *think* I used Gerben Wierda's TeX distribution.
>
> Things look like:
>  - I have a system preference for TeX allowing me to switch
>    between gwTeX and TeXLive-2007.
>  - I have a TeX folder in /Applications with a single app,
>    "TeX Distribution Helper", which is the sys pane for
>    switching between TeX distros.
>  - I have an older MacTeX.dmg dated 7/20/07 722.1MB, but the
>    current MacTeX.dmg is dated 11/30/07, 744.4 MB.
>  - There's a version of i-package in my utilities dir, dated
>    July 20, 07
>  - /usr/local contains both gwTeX and texlive.  The difference
>    in size is a bit surprising:
>      342M  gwTeX
>      1.3G  texlive
>    .. but this could be caused by different strategies in
>    use of Mac Frameworks and simlinks.
>
> Things work in that I can use textmate to magically create pdf's
> from a test document.  I get errors with LaTeXiT, however, and
> cannot get it to show any formula. I've checked LaTeXiT's install
> directories and they appear to be correct.
>
> So: I'd like to move to a simpler install.  I'm certainly not a TeX
> expert, I mainly use it for math typesetting.  So I doubt I need
> anything fancy.
>
> I *think* I simply need to remove the gwTeX distro, probably toss i-
> package, remove the TeX Distribution Sys Prefs panel, and install
> the latest MacTeX via the latest .dmg.  Is this right?  I ask
> because I've been through some fairly difficult installs and would
> like this to all work right!
>
>   -- Owen

There is no requirement to delete your gwTeX distro, just select the
TeXLive 2007 distribution from the System Preferences pane.

As for your problems with LaTeXiT,:
a) you should probably update to the latest available version: http://ktd.club.fr/programmation/latexit_en.php
b) if you have any functions defined in ~/.bash_profile then you
should try to replace your .bash_profile with one that doesn't include
them, for the time being.
c) if you don't have any idea what .bash_profile is, don't worry about
this step because you probably don't have any custom functions defined.

There is no reason to delete the entire TeXLive distribution just
because LaTeXiT doesn't function correctly.

Re-installing MacTex 2007

Owen Densmore
Administrator

On Jul 7, 2008, at 5:59 PM, David Watson wrote:
>> <snip>
>
> There is no requirement to delete your gwTeX distro, just select the
> TeXLive 2007 distribution from the System Preferences pane.

OK, that's easy!

> As for your problems with LaTeXiT,:
> a) you should probably update to the latest available version: http://ktd.club.fr/programmation/latexit_en.php

I've got the latest .. so that's not it.

> b) if you have any functions defined in ~/.bash_profile then you
> should try to replace your .bash_profile with one that doesn't
> include them, for the time being.

This could be it!  I've got lots of stuff in my .bashrc, which on the
mac for some reason is read in by the .bash-profile .. probably not an
issue here.

I do recall that the LaTeXiT log file had lots of messing about with
the bash setup files and ran into trouble "while processing pdftex".

> c) if you don't have any idea what .bash_profile is, don't worry
> about this step because you probably don't have any custom functions
> defined.

I'll mess about with a "clean" login and see if it helps.  I always
keep a test account on the Mac for this sort of thing.

<2 min later>  That fixed it!!  Now the hard part: how do I run
without my many .bashrc functions!?

> There is no reason to delete the entire TeXLive distribution just
> because LaTeXiT doesn't function correctly.

Agreed, but I do want to install the later version of MacTex .. it
clearly has changed and has some applications I should be using.

Do you know if its OK to simply install the new MacTex on top of the
earlier one??

Thanks for the response, you nailed the LaTeXiT problem!

    -- Owen

Re-installing MacTex 2007

David Watson
On Jul 7, 2008, at 10:26 PM, Owen Densmore wrote:

> On Jul 7, 2008, at 5:59 PM, David Watson wrote:
>>> <2 min later>  That fixed it!!  Now the hard part: how do I run
>>> without my many .bashrc functions!?

See below.

>> There is no reason to delete the entire TeXLive distribution just
>> because LaTeXiT doesn't function correctly.
>
> Agreed, but I do want to install the later version of MacTex .. it
> clearly has changed and has some applications I should be using.
>
> Do you know if its OK to simply install the new MacTex on top of the
> earlier one??
>
> Thanks for the response, you nailed the LaTeXiT problem!
>
>   -- Owen

That's because we just discussed this very problem on this list. I
will repost the relevant discussion about how to solve the LaTeXiT
issue for the moment:

Re-installing MacTex 2007

Am 08.07.2008 um 05:26 schrieb Owen Densmore:

> <2 min later>  That fixed it!!  Now the hard part: how do I run
> without my many .bashrc functions!?

Check whether TERM exists and is set to a useful value. If it is,
then make your functions available. For me, tcsh user, TERM is not
set in the LaTeXiT run-time environment.

A statement like

        env | sort -o <some file>

should not hurt LaTeXiT and you get your information.