Re: [tex-live] MacTeX -- xpdf

Victor Ivrii

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Reinhard Kotucha <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
a friend of mine installed MacTeX (TL-2012) recently.  Everything
works like a charm.  However, I wrote a script for him (on Linux)
which depends on pdftops (part of xpdf).  It turned out that this
program didn't exist on his system.

Aren't the xpdf support programs part of MacTeX or is his installation
incomplete?

I don't think that xpdf itself is needed because TeXShop and TeXworks
are excellent previewers, but the accompanying commandline tools
like pdftops, pdffonts, pdfinfo, pdfimages... are extremely useful.
Not to mention that they are extremely reliable.

BTW, Akira provides the xpdf commandline tools for W32TeX and TeX Live
on Windows already, hence I assume that there is a way to compile
xpdf --without-xpdf  :)

Yes, usually compiling xpdf on MacOSX results in compiling these and some other commands but not xpdf

However most commands (in their more "modern") form could be obtained from compiling poppler (without Qt):
pdfdetach, pdffonts, pdfimages, pdfinfo, pdfseparate, pdftocairo, pdftohtml, pdftoppm, pdftops, pdftotext, pdfunite

(well, some require cairo). Probably some of them could be provided by MacTeX in the same way as ghostscript or convert.

However, one should draw a line somewhere: why convert but not full ImageMagick? Why asymptote but not gnuplot (which is very useful for pgf/tikz)?

BTW, since both TW and xpdf are poppler based (for xpdf it is actually the other way) TW could be rightfully considered as a replacement of xpdf (sure TW is much more than this). Talking about pdf browsers on MacOSX one could add Apple Preview and Skim (based like TS on PDFKit)

Victor

--
========================
http://www.math.toronto.edu/ivrii

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: [tex-live] MacTeX -- xpdf

Peter Dyballa

Am 23.04.2013 um 06:39 schrieb Victor Ivrii:

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Reinhard Kotucha
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> a friend of mine installed MacTeX (TL-2012) recently.  Everything
>> works like a charm.  However, I wrote a script for him (on Linux)
>> which depends on pdftops (part of xpdf).  It turned out that this
>> program didn't exist on his system.
>>
>> Aren't the xpdf support programs part of MacTeX or is his installation
>> incomplete?
>>
>> I don't think that xpdf itself is needed because TeXShop and TeXworks
>> are excellent previewers, but the accompanying commandline tools
>> like pdftops, pdffonts, pdfinfo, pdfimages... are extremely useful.
>> Not to mention that they are extremely reliable.
Yes, it's really a misery that the xpdf/poppler suite or packages are not available in MacTeX! Since TeX Live 2012 most of the cmap and other data files are already part of the installation. The knowledge of libpoppler is also not wide-spread in the MacTeX community. When it comes to the question how to prove whether a displayed artefact is due to *TeX or the PDF viewer, one is usually recommended to use the intrusive Adobe products…

What your friend can do is to install MacPorts or Fink, two package management systems. Both can install the xpdf and poppler packages. Their installers set up PATH and MANPATH. Both are command line oriented and have third-party GUI applications for the die-hard Mac users – although I think that the MacPorts GUI is a shareware.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

Ce qui a été compris n'existe plus.
                                (Paul Eluard)

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: [tex-live] MacTeX -- xpdf

Berend Hasselman

On 23-04-2013, at 11:11, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 23.04.2013 um 06:39 schrieb Victor Ivrii:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Reinhard Kotucha
>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> a friend of mine installed MacTeX (TL-2012) recently.  Everything
>>> works like a charm.  However, I wrote a script for him (on Linux)
>>> which depends on pdftops (part of xpdf).  It turned out that this
>>> program didn't exist on his system.
>>>
>>> Aren't the xpdf support programs part of MacTeX or is his installation
>>> incomplete?
>>>
>>> I don't think that xpdf itself is needed because TeXShop and TeXworks
>>> are excellent previewers, but the accompanying commandline tools
>>> like pdftops, pdffonts, pdfinfo, pdfimages... are extremely useful.
>>> Not to mention that they are extremely reliable.
>
> Yes, it's really a misery that the xpdf/poppler suite or packages are not available in MacTeX! Since TeX Live 2012 most of the cmap and other data files are already part of the installation. The knowledge of libpoppler is also not wide-spread in the MacTeX community. When it comes to the question how to prove whether a displayed artefact is due to *TeX or the PDF viewer, one is usually recommended to use the intrusive Adobe products…
>
> What your friend can do is to install MacPorts or Fink, two package management systems. Both can install the xpdf and poppler packages. Their installers set up PATH and MANPATH. Both are command line oriented and have third-party GUI applications for the die-hard Mac users – although I think that the MacPorts GUI is a shareware.

In this thread (http://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/2011-January/046189.html)  I asked about finding out the fonts used in a pdf.

In this reply (http://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/2011-January/046192.html) Michael Ummels mentioned his compiled xpdf commandline tools. The link no longer seems to work. But I have still the dmg, so if you want it let me know and I can put it on a ftp server.
If Michael is still reading this list he could tell us if the tools are still available.

Berend

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: [tex-live] MacTeX -- xpdf

Chris Lott
On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 1:11 AM, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What your friend can do is to install MacPorts or Fink, two package management systems. Both can install the xpdf and poppler packages.

Perhaps worth noting that these are easily installed using the
Homebrew package management system as well...

Chris Lott <[hidden email]>
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/