Regex

Josep Maria Font-2
In another thread, on 19 Mar 2013, at 13:43, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2013, at 7:36 AM, Scot Mcphee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If I need complex search and replace I use BBEdit. It has the ability to do regexp style matching.
>
> The Ogrekit Find Panel allows for several styles of regex. I use BBEdit a lot for multi-file operations but for simple regex Find/Replace I stick with TeXShop and the Ogrekit Find Panel.

Can anyone recommend a good and practical source for the occasional user of regex ? From time to time, I feel like I would need it for some complicated operation, but don't know where to go for basic explanations, and end up doing a lot of by hand searches and replace.

JMaF

Aquest correu electrònic i els annexos poden contenir informació confidencial o protegida legalment i està adreçat exclusivament a la persona o entitat destinatària. Si no sou el destinatari final o la persona encarregada de rebre’l, no esteu autoritzat a llegir-lo, retenir-lo, modificar-lo, distribuir-lo, copiar-lo ni a revelar-ne el contingut. Si heu rebut aquest correu electrònic per error, us preguem que n’informeu al remitent i que elimineu del sistema el missatge i el material annex que pugui contenir. Gràcies per la vostra col·laboració.

Este correo electrónico y sus anexos pueden contener información confidencial o legalmente protegida y está exclusivamente dirigido a la persona o entidad destinataria. Si usted no es el destinatario final o la persona encargada de recibirlo, no está autorizado a leerlo, retenerlo, modificarlo, distribuirlo, copiarlo ni a revelar su contenido. Si ha recibido este mensaje electrónico por error, le rogamos que informe al remitente y elimine del sistema el mensaje y el material anexo que pueda contener. Gracias por su colaboración.

This email message and any documents attached to it may contain confidential or legally protected material and are intended solely for the use of the individual or organization to whom they are addressed. We remind you that if you are not the intended recipient of this email message or the person responsible for processing it, then you are not authorized to read, save, modify, send, copy or disclose any of its contents. If you have received this email message by mistake, we kindly ask you to inform the sender of this and to eliminate both the message and any attachments it carries from your account. Thank you for your collaboration.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Regex

Herbert Schulz

On Mar 19, 2013, at 8:43 AM, Josep Maria Font <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In another thread, on 19 Mar 2013, at 13:43, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> On Mar 19, 2013, at 7:36 AM, Scot Mcphee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> If I need complex search and replace I use BBEdit. It has the ability to do regexp style matching.
>>
>> The Ogrekit Find Panel allows for several styles of regex. I use BBEdit a lot for multi-file operations but for simple regex Find/Replace I stick with TeXShop and the Ogrekit Find Panel.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good and practical source for the occasional user of regex ? From time to time, I feel like I would need it for some complicated operation, but don't know where to go for basic explanations, and end up doing a lot of by hand searches and replace.
>

> JMaF

Howdy,

Try to Google regex and see if you find anything worthwhile there. (I don't like to recommend particular places because there are different kinds of regex [e.g., Ruby, Perl, bash use somewhat different syntax] and people learn different ways.)

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Regex

R Erickson
Hi Josep,

I agree regular expressions can be hard to learn and I was never able to find any good web resources because there are too many unhelpful sites. I ended up finding (and buying) two books that have turned out to be quite helpful:

 "Practical Computing for Biologists" by Haddock and Dunn, which has a section on regular expressions (the book is written for Mac Users, another plus!).

And
"Unix Shells by Example" by Quigley, which also has a nice intro to regular expressions

Good luck!

Richard

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Josep Maria Font <[hidden email]> wrote:
In another thread, on 19 Mar 2013, at 13:43, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2013, at 7:36 AM, Scot Mcphee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If I need complex search and replace I use BBEdit. It has the ability to do regexp style matching.
>
> The Ogrekit Find Panel allows for several styles of regex. I use BBEdit a lot for multi-file operations but for simple regex Find/Replace I stick with TeXShop and the Ogrekit Find Panel.

Can anyone recommend a good and practical source for the occasional user of regex ? From time to time, I feel like I would need it for some complicated operation, but don't know where to go for basic explanations, and end up doing a lot of by hand searches and replace.

JMaF

Aquest correu electrònic i els annexos poden contenir informació confidencial o protegida legalment i està adreçat exclusivament a la persona o entitat destinatària. Si no sou el destinatari final o la persona encarregada de rebre’l, no esteu autoritzat a llegir-lo, retenir-lo, modificar-lo, distribuir-lo, copiar-lo ni a revelar-ne el contingut. Si heu rebut aquest correu electrònic per error, us preguem que n’informeu al remitent i que elimineu del sistema el missatge i el material annex que pugui contenir. Gràcies per la vostra col·laboració.

Este correo electrónico y sus anexos pueden contener información confidencial o legalmente protegida y está exclusivamente dirigido a la persona o entidad destinataria. Si usted no es el destinatario final o la persona encargada de recibirlo, no está autorizado a leerlo, retenerlo, modificarlo, distribuirlo, copiarlo ni a revelar su contenido. Si ha recibido este mensaje electrónico por error, le rogamos que informe al remitente y elimine del sistema el mensaje y el material anexo que pueda contener. Gracias por su colaboración.

This email message and any documents attached to it may contain confidential or legally protected material and are intended solely for the use of the individual or organization to whom they are addressed. We remind you that if you are not the intended recipient of this email message or the person responsible for processing it, then you are not authorized to read, save, modify, send, copy or disclose any of its contents. If you have received this email message by mistake, we kindly ask you to inform the sender of this and to eliminate both the message and any attachments it carries from your account. Thank you for your collaboration.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Regex

Josep Maria Font-2

Of course. But, as Richard Erickson wrote:

> I was never able to find any good web resources because there are too many unhelpful sites.

I was only hoping that someone with the same needs would share some nice experience...

> (I don't like to recommend particular places because there are different kinds of regex [e.g., Ruby, Perl, bash use somewhat different syntax] and people learn different ways.)

Then it would be imperative to know the version used by the OgreKit Find Panel!

Actually, concerning OgreKit the TeXShop Help Panel points to <http://www-gauge.scphys.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~sonobe/OgreKit>, which is not found by the browser. I have found <http://sonoisa.github.com/ogrekit/About_(English).html> which seems newer, and where I found the information that

> OgreKit uses Oniguruma as its regular expression engine. Oniguruma is an excellent regular expression library developed by Mr. Kosako. It is used as the regular expression engine of Ruby Language.

So at least we know we have to go for Ruby-style regex.

[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Regex

George Gratzer-4
Dear Josep Maria,

We all have the same problem: we have to Grep once a year and when we have to, we find that we have to start from scratch.

My saviour is the BBEdit User Manual that has a 32 page chapter on Grep. Try it.

Best,

George

On 2013-03-19, at 10:36 AM, Josep Maria Font <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> This email message and any documents attached to it may contain confidential or legally protected material and are intended solely for the use of the individual or organization to whom they are addressed. We remind you that if you are not the intended recipient of this email message or the person responsible for processing it, then you are not authorized to read, save, modify, send, copy or disclose any of its contents. If you have received this email message by mistake, we kindly ask you to inform the sender of this and to eliminate both the message and any attachments it carries from your account. Thank you for your collaboration.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Regex

On Mar 19, 2013, at 9:36 AM, Josep Maria Font <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Then it would be imperative to know the version used by the OgreKit Find Panel!

Howdy,

If you open up the Ogrekit Find Panel and click on `More Options' there is a popup menu called `Search Syntax' which allows you to choose the regex `dialect' you want to use. So the choice is yours rather than the other way around.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Regex

Am 19.03.2013 um 14:43 schrieb Josep Maria Font:

> Can anyone recommend a good and practical source for the occasional user of regex ?

You can push the "Options" button in the Find dialogue of TeXShop and visually programme your RE.

In Mac OS X you can use the man command to retrieve the manual pages of two entries: re_format and grep. Both manual entries explain a lot and show example uses.

Got Mole problems?
Call Avogadro 6.02 x 10^23

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Regex

On Mar 19, 2013, at 9:41 AM, George Gratzer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Josep Maria,
>
> We all have the same problem: we have to Grep once a year and when we have to, we find that we have to start from scratch.
>
> My saviour is the BBEdit User Manual that has a 32 page chapter on Grep. Try it.
>
> Best,
>
> George
>

> On 2013-03-19, at 10:36 AM, Josep Maria Font <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 19 Mar 2013, at 14:54, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>>
>>> Try to Google regex and see if you find anything worthwhile there.
>>
>> Of course. But, as Richard Erickson wrote:
>>
>>> I was never able to find any good web resources because there are too many unhelpful sites.
>>

>> I was only hoping that someone with the same needs would share some nice experience...
>>
>>> (I don't like to recommend particular places because there are different kinds of regex [e.g., Ruby, Perl, bash use somewhat different syntax] and people learn different ways.)
>>
>> Then it would be imperative to know the version used by the OgreKit Find Panel!
>>
>> Actually, concerning OgreKit the TeXShop Help Panel points to <http://www-gauge.scphys.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~sonobe/OgreKit>, which is not found by the browser. I have found <http://sonoisa.github.com/ogrekit/About_(English).html> which seems newer, and where I found the information that
>>
>>> OgreKit uses Oniguruma as its regular expression engine. Oniguruma is an excellent regular expression library developed by Mr. Kosako. It is used as the regular expression engine of Ruby Language.
>>
>> So at least we know we have to go for Ruby-style regex.
>>

>> JMaF
Howdy,

Yet another `dialect' of regex. :-) I wonder if TextWrangle, which you can download for free, uses the full BBEdit regex.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Regex

Scot Mcphee

On 19/03/2013, at 23:43 , Josep Maria Font <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In another thread, on 19 Mar 2013, at 13:43, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> On Mar 19, 2013, at 7:36 AM, Scot Mcphee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> If I need complex search and replace I use BBEdit. It has the ability to do regexp style matching.
>>
>> The Ogrekit Find Panel allows for several styles of regex. I use BBEdit a lot for multi-file operations but for simple regex Find/Replace I stick with TeXShop and the Ogrekit Find Panel.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good and practical source for the occasional user of regex ? From time to time, I feel like I would need it for some complicated operation, but don't know where to go for basic explanations, and end up doing a lot of by hand searches and replace.

There are three excellent books published by O'Reilly

- Introducing Regular Expressions by M.Fitzgerald http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920012337.do

- Mastering Regular Expressions by J.E.F. Friedl http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596528126.do

- Regular Expressions Cookbook by J.Goyvaerts & S.Leviathan http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596520694.do

http://monumentum.tumblr.com/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Regex

Alain Schremmer-2

On Mar 19, 2013, at 4:30 PM, Scot Mcphee wrote:

> There are three excellent books published by O'Reilly
>
> - Introducing Regular Expressions by M.Fitzgerald http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920012337.do
>
> - Mastering Regular Expressions by J.E.F. Friedl http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596528126.do
>
> - Regular Expressions Cookbook by J.Goyvaerts & S.Leviathan http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596520694.do

Which one is nearest to being absolutely, totally and tightly idiot-
proof?

Hopeful regards
--schremmer

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Regex

Scot Mcphee

On 20/03/2013, at 06:34 , Alain Schremmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2013, at 4:30 PM, Scot Mcphee wrote:
>
>> There are three excellent books published by O'Reilly
>>
>> - Introducing Regular Expressions by M.Fitzgerald http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920012337.do
>>
>> - Mastering Regular Expressions by J.E.F. Friedl http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596528126.do
>>
>> - Regular Expressions Cookbook by J.Goyvaerts & S.Leviathan http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596520694.do
>

> Which one is nearest to being absolutely, totally and tightly idiot-proof?

Probably Introducing Regular Expressions, although TBH I have not read it as I've known regexp for 15 years (I still need a refresher every now and then too!) There is a sampler PDF of it available on the website.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Regex

Gary L. Gray-5
On Mar 22, 2013, at 12:41 PM, Josep Maria Font <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions on introductions and tutorials on regular expressions.

I don’t think this has been mentioned in this thread, but I just saw it:

Gary

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/