Skim 1.4.7

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Skim 1.4.7

Richard Seguin
Skim has been updated from 1.4.6 to 1.4.7, and now the little window that temporarily drops from toolbar indicating “Reloading document …” is no longer appearing. This makes it more difficult to determine if your LaTeX typeset worked with no errors.

Does anyone know how to submit bug reports for Skim? I went to

http://sourceforge.net/p/skim-app/bugs/

but I can’t figure out how to actually submit a bug report there.

My workaround has been to revert to 1.4.6.

Richard Séguin

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Skim 1.4.7

Peter Dyballa

Am 08.12.2013 um 06:23 schrieb Richard Seguin:

> Skim has been updated from 1.4.6 to 1.4.7, and now the little window that temporarily drops from toolbar indicating “Reloading document …” is no longer appearing.

Did you check the preferences? This little window is activated in the preferences, Sync tab.

--
Greetings

  Pete

People say that if you play Microsoft CD's backwards, you hear satanic things, but that's nothing, because if you play them forwards, they install MS Windows.


----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Skim 1.4.7

Richard Seguin

On Dec 8, 2013, at 4:22 AM, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Am 08.12.2013 um 06:23 schrieb Richard Seguin:
>
>> Skim has been updated from 1.4.6 to 1.4.7, and now the little window that temporarily drops from toolbar indicating “Reloading document …” is no longer appearing.
>
> Did you check the preferences? This little window is activated in the preferences, Sync tab.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete

However I set “Check for file changes” in 1.4.6 does not matter: I always get the temporary “Reloading document …” message that flashes on the screen for a fraction of a second but which is nevertheless very noticeable. In 1.4.7, I never get that message. If I specify “Check for file changes” in 1.4.7, I do get another little window that unfortunately requires me to click on OK before it loads — an extra step that is not convenient.

Richard


----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Skim 1.4.7

Richard Seguin

On Dec 8, 2013, at 12:00 PM, Richard Seguin <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Dec 8, 2013, at 4:22 AM, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>
>> Am 08.12.2013 um 06:23 schrieb Richard Seguin:
>>
>>> Skim has been updated from 1.4.6 to 1.4.7, and now the little window that temporarily drops from toolbar indicating “Reloading document …” is no longer appearing.
>>
>> Did you check the preferences? This little window is activated in the preferences, Sync tab.
>>
>> --
>> Greetings
>>
>> Pete
>
> However I set “Check for file changes” in 1.4.6 does not matter: I always get the temporary “Reloading document …” message that flashes on the screen for a fraction of a second but which is nevertheless very noticeable. In 1.4.7, I never get that message. If I specify “Check for file changes” in 1.4.7, I do get another little window that unfortunately requires me to click on OK before it loads — an extra step that is not convenient.
>
> Richard

I should add that I’m using Sneep’s integration scripts with BBEdit and Skim. It appears that those typeset scripts prompt Skim to reload, because Skim reloads whether or not “Check for file changes” is checked.

Richard

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Skim 1.4.7

Adam R. Maxwell


> On Dec 8, 2013, at 10:04, Richard Seguin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I should add that I’m using Sneep’s integration scripts with BBEdit and Skim. It appears that those typeset scripts prompt Skim to reload, because Skim reloads whether or not “Check for file changes” is checked.

File a bug report on the Skim project page at sourceforge if you're not seeing the reload indicator.

Under no circumstances should anyone check the "check for file changes" box. Forget that it exists. Having the script force a reload is the proper way to do this.

Adam


----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Skim 1.4.7

Richard Seguin

On Dec 8, 2013, at 12:50 PM, Adam R. Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>> On Dec 8, 2013, at 10:04, Richard Seguin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I should add that I’m using Sneep’s integration scripts with BBEdit and Skim. It appears that those typeset scripts prompt Skim to reload, because Skim reloads whether or not “Check for file changes” is checked.
>
> File a bug report on the Skim project page at sourceforge if you're not seeing the reload indicator.
>
> Under no circumstances should anyone check the "check for file changes" box. Forget that it exists. Having the script force a reload is the proper way to do this.
>
> Adam

Adam, my original email noted that I couldn’t figure out how to file a bug. I found this:

http://sourceforge.net/p/skim-app/bugs/

It lists existing bugs, but I don’t see a way of entering my own bug report. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place.

Richard

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Skim 1.4.7

Adam R. Maxwell

On Dec 8, 2013, at 12:15 , Richard Seguin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Adam, my original email noted that I couldn’t figure out how to file a bug. I found this:

Sorry, didn't see the original message.

> http://sourceforge.net/p/skim-app/bugs/
>
> It lists existing bugs, but I don’t see a way of entering my own bug report. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place.

That's the correct link. You have to log in first, after which you'll get a "Create Ticket" button on the left side, below the Search Bugs field.

Adam


----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Skim 1.4.7

Richard Seguin
OK, I’ve created a “ticket”. Thanks Adam!

I have to say though, I’ve never had a more unpleasant experience reporting a software bug. Sourceforge makes you jump through too many hoops.

Richard

On Dec 8, 2013, at 2:45 PM, Adam R. Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Dec 8, 2013, at 12:15 , Richard Seguin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Adam, my original email noted that I couldn’t figure out how to file a bug. I found this:
>
> Sorry, didn't see the original message.
>
>> http://sourceforge.net/p/skim-app/bugs/
>>
>> It lists existing bugs, but I don’t see a way of entering my own bug report. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place.
>
> That's the correct link. You have to log in first, after which you'll get a "Create Ticket" button on the left side, below the Search Bugs field.
>
> Adam
>
>
> ----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
> List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
> TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
> List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex


----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Skim 1.4.7 - no help at all from Sourceforge

Richard Seguin

On Dec 8, 2013, at 11:22 PM, Richard Seguin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, I’ve created a “ticket”. Thanks Adam!
>
> I have to say though, I’ve never had a more unpleasant experience reporting a software bug. Sourceforge makes you jump through too many hoops.
>
> Richard


Well, I’m very disgusted. I created a bug “ticket" with this message:

> In versions through 1.4.6 there was a small message window that popped down from the toolbar for a fraction of a second while Skim was reloading a PDF file. It would say "Reloading document ..." In 1.4.7, this little window and message have disappeared.
>
> This drop down message is very handy for LaTeX typesetting because it gives an immediate visual clue that the typeset happened with no errors and the PDF document is reloaded. It's absence is not convenient and a little distressing. I use BBEdit with Skim and an integration script to accomplish the typesetting. The script tells Skim to reload the PDF file if the typesetting happened with no errors.

My bug report was immediately closed with this explanation:

> That's not a bug, it's a feature.

So, I resubmitted it as a feature request with this message:

> In versions through 1.4.6 there was a small message window that popped down from the toolbar for a fraction of a second while Skim was reloading a PDF file. It would say "Reloading document ..." In 1.4.7, this little window and message have disappeared.
>
> This drop down message is very handy for LaTeX typesetting because it gives an immediate visual clue that the typeset happened with no errors and the PDF document is reloaded. It's absence is not convenient and a little distressing. I use BBEdit with Skim and an integration script to accomplish the typesetting. The script tells Skim to reload the PDF file if the typesetting happened with no errors.
>
> This was rejected as a bug report with the claim that this is a feature request. If a useful or necessary "feature" disappears from software with no notification in the usual public change logs, as with this case, then it is legitimate for the customer to assume that it disappeared unintentionally because of a bug.

My feature request was immediately swatted down with this explanation:

> The fact that it was explicitly removed should tell you that it was intentionally removed, and therefore that the removal itself was a feature. And as you may see from earlier requests, this for many users is in fact a feature. Therefore it should be clear that this request will not be honored.

If anyone else wants to take a crack at this Kafka-esque bureaucracy and logical universe, be my guest …

In the meantime, I might have to reevaluate the tools I’m using.

Richard Séguin



----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Skim 1.4.7 - no help at all from Sourceforge

Scot Mcphee

On 10 December 2013 at 03:07:44 , Richard Seguin ([hidden email]) wrote:

My feature request was immediately swatted down with this explanation: 

> The fact that it was explicitly removed should tell you that it was intentionally removed, and therefore that the removal itself was a feature. And as you may see from earlier requests, this for many users is in fact a feature. Therefore it should be clear that this request will not be honored. 

If anyone else wants to take a crack at this Kafka-esque bureaucracy and logical universe, be my guest … 

That’s not a bureaucracy or anything really to do with sourceforge that’s just the developer (and there’s probably only one or two) telling you he disagrees with your assessment of the software that he (or she) builds.




----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Skim 1.4.7 - no help at all from Sourceforge

vivi
But he surely could have said it in a nicer and more informative way.

Vivianne Siqueira Campos Vilar
----------------------------------------------
“Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It is already tomorrow in Australia.”



On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Scot Mcphee <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 10 December 2013 at 03:07:44 , Richard Seguin ([hidden email]) wrote:

My feature request was immediately swatted down with this explanation: 

> The fact that it was explicitly removed should tell you that it was intentionally removed, and therefore that the removal itself was a feature. And as you may see from earlier requests, this for many users is in fact a feature. Therefore it should be clear that this request will not be honored. 

If anyone else wants to take a crack at this Kafka-esque bureaucracy and logical universe, be my guest … 

That’s not a bureaucracy or anything really to do with sourceforge that’s just the developer (and there’s probably only one or two) telling you he disagrees with your assessment of the software that he (or she) builds.




----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex




----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Skim 1.4.7 - no help at all from Sourceforge

Alain Schremmer-2

On Dec 9, 2013, at 9:04 PM, Vivianne Vilar wrote:
>> That’s not a bureaucracy or anything really to do with sourceforge  
>> that’s just the developer (and there’s probably only one or two)  
>> telling you he disagrees with your assessment of the software that  
>> he (or she) builds.
>>
> But he surely could have said it in a nicer and more informative way.


Software builder(s) sound(s) French to me.

Regards
--schremmer (Still French)


----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Skim 1.4.7 - no help at all from Sourceforge

Richard Seguin
No, it was a distinctly un-Americanized Germanic name.

Richard Séguin

On Dec 9, 2013, at 9:11 PM, Alain Schremmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Dec 9, 2013, at 9:04 PM, Vivianne Vilar wrote:
>>> That’s not a bureaucracy or anything really to do with sourceforge that’s just the developer (and there’s probably only one or two) telling you he disagrees with your assessment of the software that he (or she) builds.
>>>
>> But he surely could have said it in a nicer and more informative way.
>
>
> Software builder(s) sound(s) French to me.
>
> Regards
> --schremmer (Still French)
>
>
> ----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
> List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
> TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
> List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex


----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Skim 1.4.7 - alternate integration scripts

Richard Seguin
In reply to this post by Richard Seguin
I found a good solution. I was using Sneep’s scripts to initiate typesets. I found this:

http://nathangrigg.net/latex-bbpackage/

It’s a package of scripts designed for BBEdit and Skim that includes a typeset function. When you select “typeset” from the BBEdit scripts drop down menu, the script menu icon turns color until the typeset is done, then reverts to normal. If there is an error, the script pops up a dialogue box that asks you if you want to see the error(s) and takes you right to them in BBEdit. Not bad! There’s also an “open PDF” function that will open the PDF file corresponding to the .tex file you are looking at (if there is one). I still need the very handy “synchronize with Skim” script from Sneep—with that script you can forward synchronize from BBEdit to Skim.

Richard Séguin

On Dec 7, 2013, at 11:23 PM, Richard Seguin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Skim has been updated from 1.4.6 to 1.4.7, and now the little window that temporarily drops from toolbar indicating “Reloading document …” is no longer appearing. This makes it more difficult to determine if your LaTeX typeset worked with no errors.
>
> Does anyone know how to submit bug reports for Skim? I went to
>
> http://sourceforge.net/p/skim-app/bugs/
>
> but I can’t figure out how to actually submit a bug report there.
>
> My workaround has been to revert to 1.4.6.
>
> Richard Séguin
>
> ----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
> List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
> TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
> List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex


----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex