Spell checking in TS

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Spell checking in TS

Themis Matsoukas-6
In my source file I have the typo “equaiton” and when I highlight-and control-click on it, the spell checker suggests “équation”.  With the same typo in Textedit, the suggested correction in “equation”. 

I am running TS 4.01 on OS 10.11.6 and I have turned off automatic pell check as I type. 

Themis



----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Spell checking in TS

Herbert Schulz
> On Aug 12, 2018, at 5:55 AM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> In my source file I have the typo “equaiton” and when I highlight-and control-click on it, the spell checker suggests “équation”.  With the same typo in Textedit, the suggested correction in “equation”.
>
> I am running TS 4.01 on OS 10.11.6 and I have turned off automatic pell check as I type.
>
> Themis
>
> <Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 6.48.44 AM.png>
>
> <Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 6.48.01 AM.png>

Howdy,

What dictionary are you using in TS and is it the same one as in TextEdit? What localization are you using?

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)


----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Spell checking in TS

Themis Matsoukas-6
>
> What dictionary are you using in TS and is it the same one as in TextEdit? What localization are you using?
>

Hi Herb,

I have not consciously set dictionaries or localization, which is to say, I don’t know how to set these.

A few additional clues:

1. This is a phantom behavior and I have not figured a reproducible way to make it happen. Before I sent my previous email, I quit and relaunched TS, and I still got “équation”. But half an hour into latexing this behavior was gone and TS now suggests “equation".

2. “équation” is the only french word I have ever noticed when the spell checker in TS plays this game. Other word suggestions are in english.

Themis





----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Spell checking in TS

Herbert Schulz
> On Aug 12, 2018, at 7:21 AM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>
>> What dictionary are you using in TS and is it the same one as in TextEdit? What localization are you using?
>>
>
> Hi Herb,
>
> I have not consciously set dictionaries or localization, which is to say, I don’t know how to set these.
>

Howdy,

Localization is set in the Language & Region section of System Preferences and defaults to US English.

The default dictionary is set in In the Text tab of the Keyboard section of System Preferences. You can also set the dictionary locally for TeXShop in its Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar (Cmd-:) dialog. I believe this second method sets it locally for TeXShop (at one one time I think it set it globally).

> A few additional clues:
>
> 1. This is a phantom behavior and I have not figured a reproducible way to make it happen. Before I sent my previous email, I quit and relaunched TS, and I still got “équation”. But half an hour into latexing this behavior was gone and TS now suggests “equation".
>

This makes it really difficult to track down. :-(

> 2. “équation” is the only french word I have ever noticed when the spell checker in TS plays this game. Other word suggestions are in english.
>
> Themis

I also find it strange that only one word choice is being displayed. What dictionary are you using?

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)


----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Spell checking in TS

Themis Matsoukas-6
> On Aug 12, 2018, at 8:40 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> Localization is set in the Language & Region section of System Preferences and defaults to US English.
>
> The default dictionary is set in In the Text tab of the Keyboard section of System Preferences. You can also set the dictionary locally for TeXShop in its Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar (Cmd-:) dialog. I believe this second method sets it locally for TeXShop (at one one time I think it set it globally).
>

Region is US, spelling is U.S. english.

I will keep an eye for a reproducible pattern with this behavior.

Thanks

Themis

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Spell checking in TS

Michael Welsh
In reply to this post by Themis Matsoukas-6
I also randomly get this behaviour, but with other random French (I think) words. I've correctly spelt an English word and it gets the red underline and the suggestion is something French.

I haven't noticed it for a while though.

I'm pretty sure my localisation is New Zealand and I'm running Australian English in the spell checker.

Cheers,
Michael

> On 13/08/2018, at 0021, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 1. This is a phantom behavior and I have not figured a reproducible way to make it happen. Before I sent my previous email, I quit and relaunched TS, and I still got “équation”. But half an hour into latexing this behavior was gone and TS now suggests “equation".
>
> 2. “équation” is the only french word I have ever noticed when the spell checker in TS plays this game. Other word suggestions are in english.

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Spell checking in TS

Herbert Schulz
> On Aug 12, 2018, at 2:08 PM, Michael Welsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I also randomly get this behaviour, but with other random French (I think) words. I've correctly spelt an English word and it gets the red underline and the suggestion is something French.
>
> I haven't noticed it for a while though.
>
> I'm pretty sure my localisation is New Zealand and I'm running Australian English in the spell checker.
>
> Cheers,
> Michael
>
>> On 13/08/2018, at 0021, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> 1. This is a phantom behavior and I have not figured a reproducible way to make it happen. Before I sent my previous email, I quit and relaunched TS, and I still got “équation”. But half an hour into latexing this behavior was gone and TS now suggests “equation".
>>
>> 2. “équation” is the only french word I have ever noticed when the spell checker in TS plays this game. Other word suggestions are in english.

Howdy,

This is really strange. I can't believe it has anything to do with TeXShop but rather the Apple Spelling system or dictionaries. I've been using the Aspell English dictionary via cocoAspell for way too long and don't remember running into the problem.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)


----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Spell checking in TS

Themis Matsoukas-6
French is back!!!

I don’t know how, but here is what I see now. I typed “capitain” in texshop, and the suggestions I got were “capitan” and “capitaine”. I typed the same in TextEdit and got english words.

After relaunching TS it was english again...

Themis





----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Spell checking in TS

Herbert Schulz
> On Aug 13, 2018, at 11:49 AM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> French is back!!!
>
> I don’t know how, but here is what I see now. I typed “capitain” in texshop, and the suggestions I got were “capitan” and “capitaine”. I typed the same in TextEdit and got english words.
>
> After relaunching TS it was english again...
>
> Themis
>
>
> <Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 12.34.06 PM.png>
>
>
> <Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 12.35.10 PM.png>

Howdy,

Sigh... I got that now too.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)


----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Spell checking in TS

Themis Matsoukas-6
>
> Sigh... I got that now too.
>

You mean you get the french dictionary in Texshop? If so, that’s good, the more people see this behavior the better the chance to uncover a pattern.

Anyway, since I use excalibur for my spell checking, this is not really an issue except when I have typos inside latex commands, as in \begin{equaiton}, which excalibur ignores. This in fact is the reason why the only french I’d seen until now was équation.

Themis

----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Spell checking in TS

Herbert Schulz
> On Aug 13, 2018, at 12:39 PM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>
>> Sigh... I got that now too.
>>
>
> You mean you get the french dictionary in Texshop? If so, that’s good, the more people see this behavior the better the chance to uncover a pattern.
>

Howdy,

Yes... although I don't think it's a French dictionary but a French spelling that is acceptable English. E.g., with the English (Aspell) dictionary via cocoAspell the French spelling résumé is perfectly acceptable!

> Anyway, since I use excalibur for my spell checking, this is not really an issue except when I have typos inside latex commands, as in \begin{equaiton}, which excalibur ignores. This in fact is the reason why the only french I’d seen until now was équation.
>
> Themis

I have a question about Excalibur... does it deal with UTF-8 encoding or does it require ASCII only?

As far as \begin{equaiton} is concerned, try using Command Completion (CC)! Type `beq' (without the quotes) at the start of a line and then press Esc (unless you changed the trigger character it to Tab in TeXShop->Preferences) and you'll get

\begin{equation}
|•|
\end{equation}•

where |•| is a selected bullet (called a Mark in CC parlance) which will get removed the moment you start to type. The Mark at the end it there so you can quickly jump outside the environment by pressing Ctl-Cmd-F to select it and they typing a return or what you wish to remove the now selcted Mark.

See TeXShop's Help->TeXShop Tips and Tricks document fopr more information as well as tables of all the completions and abbreviations supplied with TeXShop.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)


----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Spell checking in TS

Themis Matsoukas-6
> I have a question about Excalibur... does it deal with UTF-8 encoding or does it require ASCII only?

Unfortunately it works only with ASCII.

>
> As far as \begin{equaiton} is concerned, try using Command Completion (CC)! Type `beq' (without the quotes) at the start of a line and then press Esc (unless you changed the trigger character it to Tab in TeXShop->Preferences) and you'll get
>
> \begin{equation}
> |•|
> \end{equation}•
>
> where |•| is a selected bullet (called a Mark in CC parlance) which will get removed the moment you start to type. The Mark at the end it there so you can quickly jump outside the environment by pressing Ctl-Cmd-F to select it and they typing a return or what you wish to remove the now selcted Mark.
>
> See TeXShop's Help->TeXShop Tips and Tricks document fopr more information as well as tables of all the completions and abbreviations supplied with TeXShop.


I will try. But some old habits are hard to die. I still use from time to time <cmd><opt><i>, which was my long-ago shortcut for italics, but is now used by TS to bring up documentation for packages. My current shortcut <cmd><i> hasn’t sinked in, even though it’s been several years since this change…

Themis




----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Spell checking in TS

"Néstor E. Aguilera"
Hi,

> On 13 Aug 2018, at 15:53, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have a question about Excalibur... does it deal with UTF-8 encoding or does it require ASCII only?
>
> Unfortunately it works only with ASCII.

I am not too sure how Excabilur works. For instance typing "ñiño" in Spanish suggests many possibilities, the 4th one being "niño", "méo" (accented "e") suggests "mío" in 2nd. place.

Best,

Nestor
----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Spell checking in TS

Themis Matsoukas-6

> On Aug 14, 2018, at 8:35 AM, Néstor E. Aguilera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am not too sure how Excabilur works. For instance typing "ñiño" in Spanish suggests many possibilities, the 4th one being "niño", "méo" (accented "e") suggests "mío" in 2nd. place.
>

Interesting…

With the english dictionary, “niños” is marked as correct, even though it is displayed by excalibur as "ni√±os”. But “niñoe”, displayed as "ni√±oe”, is flagged, actually only the “oe” part of the word is flagged, and there are no suggestions.

Themis
----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Spell checking in TS

Herbert Schulz
> On Aug 14, 2018, at 7:59 AM, Themis Matsoukas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>> On Aug 14, 2018, at 8:35 AM, Néstor E. Aguilera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am not too sure how Excabilur works. For instance typing "ñiño" in Spanish suggests many possibilities, the 4th one being "niño", "méo" (accented "e") suggests "mío" in 2nd. place.
>>
>
> Interesting…
>
> With the english dictionary, “niños” is marked as correct, even though it is displayed by excalibur as "ni√±os”. But “niñoe”, displayed as "ni√±oe”, is flagged, actually only the “oe” part of the word is flagged, and there are no suggestions.
>
> Themis

Howdy,

Is your input file in UTF-8 encoding? I would guess so since Excalibur is displaying `ñ' as the multi-byte sequence `√±'. I guess it all depends upon what's in the dictionary.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)


----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Spell checking in TS

Themis Matsoukas-6
> On Aug 14, 2018, at 10:57 AM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is your input file in UTF-8 encoding? I would guess so since Excalibur is displaying `ñ' as the multi-byte sequence `√±'. I guess it all depends upon what's in the dictionary.
>
> Good Luck,

Yes, UTF-8.

Themis
----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Archives: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx
                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
List Info: https://email.esm.psu.edu/mailman/listinfo/macosx-tex