Spell checking

MacOSX-TeX mailing list
Somehow my TS preferences were lost and I had to reset them. But I still can't get get spell checking to work properly. I use Aspell, which in my preferences is configured as shown:

Still, when I spell check in TS (shift+command+;) all latex commands are flagged. What is the magic trick?

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Spell checking

MacOSX-TeX mailing list
To answer my own question: I also had to choose ASpell in the Keyboard tab of the system preferences.

Themis

> On Sep 5, 2020, at 6:15 AM, Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Somehow my TS preferences were lost and I had to reset them. But I still can't get get spell checking to work properly. I use Aspell, which in my preferences is configured as shown:
>
> <Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 6.08.55 AM.png>
>
> Still, when I spell check in TS (shift+command+;) all latex commands are flagged. What is the magic trick?
>
> Themis

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Spell checking

Herbert Schulz
On Sep 5, 2020, at 6:25 AM, Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:

To answer my own question: I also had to choose ASpell in the Keyboard tab of the system preferences.

Themis

On Sep 5, 2020, at 6:15 AM, Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:

Somehow my TS preferences were lost and I had to reset them. But I still can't get get spell checking to work properly. I use Aspell, which in my preferences is configured as shown:

<Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 6.08.55 AM.png>

Still, when I spell check in TS (shift+command+;) all latex commands are flagged. What is the magic trick?

Themis

Howdy,

That, of course, will then use that dictionary as default in other apps, like Mail, which I like but others may not. I believe you can choose the `English(Aspell)' dictionary for TeXShop alone by setting it in TeXShop's Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar (Cmd-:) Menu Item. Again, I use it for all my apps so I'm not sure.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Spell checking

MacOSX-TeX mailing list
Hi Herb,

> That, of course, will then use that dictionary as default in other apps, like Mail, which I like but others may not. I believe you can choose the `English(Aspell)' dictionary for TeXShop alone by setting it in TeXShop's Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar (Cmd-:) Menu Item. Again, I use it for all my apps so I'm not sure.

It did not occur to me to look at the  Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar menu item, I thought it would be in the preferences somewhere. Thanks for pointing this out.

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Spell checking

Roussanka Loukanova-2
Hi,

How do I get English(Aspell)?

I do not see it in the list:
TeXShop's Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar (Cmd-:)

I do not have the Spell icon in the System Preferences.

I used to have Aspell, but after attempts to update it, I lost Aspell and the Preference Pane Spell (icon) in the System Preferences. I tried to reinstall it, from scratch, by following instructions from:
CocoAspell from <http://cocoaspell.leuski.net>
https://people.ict.usc.edu/leuski/cocoaspell//public_html/
I asked Leuski by email address that was on that website, but I've never got any answer.

Best Regards,
Roussanka

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 1:14 PM Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Herb,

> That, of course, will then use that dictionary as default in other apps, like Mail, which I like but others may not. I believe you can choose the `English(Aspell)' dictionary for TeXShop alone by setting it in TeXShop's Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar (Cmd-:) Menu Item. Again, I use it for all my apps so I'm not sure.

It did not occur to me to look at the  Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar menu item, I thought it would be in the preferences somewhere. Thanks for pointing this out.

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Spell checking

Herbert Schulz
On Sep 5, 2020, at 9:37 AM, Roussanka Loukanova <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

How do I get English(Aspell)?

I do not see it in the list:
TeXShop's Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar (Cmd-:)

I do not have the Spell icon in the System Preferences.

I used to have Aspell, but after attempts to update it, I lost Aspell and the Preference Pane Spell (icon) in the System Preferences. I tried to reinstall it, from scratch, by following instructions from:
CocoAspell from <http://cocoaspell.leuski.net
https://people.ict.usc.edu/leuski/cocoaspell//public_html/
I asked Leuski by email address that was on that website, but I've never got any answer.

Best Regards,
Roussanka

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 1:14 PM Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Herb,

> That, of course, will then use that dictionary as default in other apps, like Mail, which I like but others may not. I believe you can choose the `English(Aspell)' dictionary for TeXShop alone by setting it in TeXShop's Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar (Cmd-:) Menu Item. Again, I use it for all my apps so I'm not sure.

It did not occur to me to look at the  Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar menu item, I thought it would be in the preferences somewhere. Thanks for pointing this out.

Themis

Howdy,

Have you installed cocoAspell?

If you do and there is a problem let us know.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Spell checking

Roussanka Loukanova-2

Best Regards,
Roussanka

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 3:49 PM Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sep 5, 2020, at 9:37 AM, Roussanka Loukanova <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

How do I get English(Aspell)?

I do not see it in the list:
TeXShop's Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar (Cmd-:)

I do not have the Spell icon in the System Preferences.

I used to have Aspell, but after attempts to update it, I lost Aspell and the Preference Pane Spell (icon) in the System Preferences. I tried to reinstall it, from scratch, by following instructions from:
CocoAspell from <http://cocoaspell.leuski.net
https://people.ict.usc.edu/leuski/cocoaspell//public_html/
I asked Leuski by email address that was on that website, but I've never got any answer.

Best Regards,
Roussanka

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 1:14 PM Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Herb,

> That, of course, will then use that dictionary as default in other apps, like Mail, which I like but others may not. I believe you can choose the `English(Aspell)' dictionary for TeXShop alone by setting it in TeXShop's Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar (Cmd-:) Menu Item. Again, I use it for all my apps so I'm not sure.

It did not occur to me to look at the  Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar menu item, I thought it would be in the preferences somewhere. Thanks for pointing this out.

Themis

Howdy,

Have you installed cocoAspell?

I uninstalled it when I tried to update it. I can see an older version in:

root  admin  1444253 Nov  7  2016 /Applications/TeX/Docs and Spell Utilities/Spelling/cocoAspell/cocoAspell.pkg

Shall I try to install that? If yes, is that by clicking the (cocoAspell.pkg), in Finder?

Best Regards,
Roussanka

If you do and there is a problem let us know.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Spell checking

Herbert Schulz
On Sep 5, 2020, at 10:22 AM, Roussanka Loukanova <[hidden email]> wrote:

Best Regards,
Roussanka

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 3:49 PM Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sep 5, 2020, at 9:37 AM, Roussanka Loukanova <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

How do I get English(Aspell)?

I do not see it in the list:
TeXShop's Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar (Cmd-:)

I do not have the Spell icon in the System Preferences.

I used to have Aspell, but after attempts to update it, I lost Aspell and the Preference Pane Spell (icon) in the System Preferences. I tried to reinstall it, from scratch, by following instructions from:
CocoAspell from <http://cocoaspell.leuski.net
https://people.ict.usc.edu/leuski/cocoaspell//public_html/
I asked Leuski by email address that was on that website, but I've never got any answer.

Best Regards,
Roussanka

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 1:14 PM Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Herb,

> That, of course, will then use that dictionary as default in other apps, like Mail, which I like but others may not. I believe you can choose the `English(Aspell)' dictionary for TeXShop alone by setting it in TeXShop's Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar (Cmd-:) Menu Item. Again, I use it for all my apps so I'm not sure.

It did not occur to me to look at the  Edit->Show Spelling and Grammar menu item, I thought it would be in the preferences somewhere. Thanks for pointing this out.

Themis

Howdy,

Have you installed cocoAspell?

I uninstalled it when I tried to update it. I can see an older version in:

root  admin  1444253 Nov  7  2016 /Applications/TeX/Docs and Spell Utilities/Spelling/cocoAspell/cocoAspell.pkg

Shall I try to install that? If yes, is that by clicking the (cocoAspell.pkg), in Finder?

Best Regards,
Roussanka

If you do and there is a problem let us know.

That sounds like the right Date.

Please note that it hasn't been updated in a long time and it may need command line tools to get a new installation working under Catalina.

In Terminal run `make --version` and let me know what you get. If you get a dialog box that asks if you want to install the CL tools or XCode decline and let me know.

By the way, I just went to the web site for cocoAspell and it seems to be dead.

Finally, before trying to install cocoAspell, TeXShop has some settings that help in skipping over commands so you want to try that and see if it's `good enough' for your purposes. Under the Source tab of TeXShop->Preferences there is a section labelled Spell Checking. Simple play with the three check box items and see if that works for you.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Spell checking

Roussanka Loukanova-2
Hi Herb,

My answer are in Reply mode:

Hi,

How do I get English(Aspell)?

I do not see it in the list:
[...]

I'm on an oldish MacBoocAir 13", macOS Catalina 10.15.6.
I installed the CL tools a couple of days ago. But, I managed that in a different way, after some searches:

- In the Terminal run `make --version` didn't offer any dialog box, only complained about a wrong path.
- I ran (while not sure, after many attempts, I did that in the root directory /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools)

xcode-select --install

Perhaps it offered installation of CL tools. But the 1st attempt didn't go through well, and I saw the red warning for Update available.

After Restarting the MacB Air, and issuing, in Terminal:
xcode-select --install

The installation of the CL tools went OK (hopefully). It took some time. The warning for Update available  disappeared.

By the way, I just went to the web site for cocoAspell and it seems to be dead.

I saw that too.
Finally, before trying to install cocoAspell, TeXShop has some settings that help in skipping over commands so you want to try that and see if it's `good enough' for your purposes. Under the Source tab of TeXShop->Preferences there is a section labelled Spell Checking. Simple play with the three check box items and see if that works for you.

I did that with some simple sample files. It seems that without cocoAspell, quite some commands are recognised. I see that the following are not, and are underlined as misspellings, but I think I can live with them. As I recall from some previous emails, and also by you, if my memory speaks correctly, there is a way to get TexShop to learn these.

documentclass{article}

\usepackage{amsmath}

\usepackage{amssymb}

\maketitle

The argument of \label is underlined as misspelling:

\label{sec:abstr:why}

To get Swedish and Bulgarian letters, I had to select UTF-8. But TexShop can't offer corrections for words in these languages. Bulgarian dictionary is missing. But there is a default one for Swedish (Svenska), by Apple, seen under:

System Preferences > Keyboard > Text > Spelling

I have selected Automatic by Language

By previous tests, I had to select Svenska to get Swedish words checked, but then a file with mixed languages, EN + Svenska, didn't get EN  correct suggestions.

Here is what I have in TexShop Preferences:

TexShopprefs.png

Thanks,
Roussanka

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Spell checking

Herbert Schulz
On Sep 5, 2020, at 1:04 PM, Roussanka Loukanova <[hidden email]> wrote:

I did that with some simple sample files. It seems that without cocoAspell, quite some commands are recognised. I see that the following are not, and are underlined as misspellings, but I think I can live with them. As I recall from some previous emails, and also by you, if my memory speaks correctly, there is a way to get TexShop to learn these.

Howdy,

I'll check more into installing cocoAspell under Catalina. There  probably are mor steps that are needed to make a new installation work.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Spell checking

MacOSX-TeX mailing list
There needs to be some progress in LaTeX-aware spelling.

By trial  and error (plus frustration) I came to realize that for ASpell to be the default spell checker in TS the dictionary in the Source window must be set to "English". Not "en", not "en_GB" etc, but "English". This is not obvious and cost me some effort to figure. I don't know where the other dictionaries came from or how to remove to decrease clutter, pollution and possible error. It does seem to me that latex-aware spelling on the mac is currently in the dark ages. In the golden age there was Excalibur, now only a legend. With ASpell left unsupported the future does not look promising.

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Spell checking

Herbert Schulz
On Sep 5, 2020, at 4:35 PM, Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:

There needs to be some progress in LaTeX-aware spelling.

By trial  and error (plus frustration) I came to realize that for ASpell to be the default spell checker in TS the dictionary in the Source window must be set to "English". Not "en", not "en_GB" etc, but "English". This is not obvious and cost me some effort to figure. I don't know where the other dictionaries came from or how to remove to decrease clutter, pollution and possible error. It does seem to me that latex-aware spelling on the mac is currently in the dark ages. In the golden age there was Excalibur, now only a legend. With ASpell left unsupported the future does not look promising.

Themis

<Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 4.20.41 PM.png>

Howdy,

The other dictionaries are the ones supplied by Apple. I seem to remember that Dick Koch said something about this when the feature was introduced and mentioned that to use cocoAspell you needed to use English and the the en-* versions were Apple's dictionaries. That discussion may have been related to the `% !TEX spellcheck = ' directive.

I have been trying to prepare for the horrible day that cocoAspell no longer runs. Aspell is still there; run `which aspell` (without the quotes) in Terminal. The enclosed zipped folder contains information about using the built-in Aspell similar to the setup by cocoAspell. The enclosed TeXShop Applescript Macro (the .plist file) was written by Michael Sharpe; it Saves and Closes the file, runs aspell in Terminal, and re-opens the file in TeXShop. I believe that any personal dictionary information from cocoAspell will be lost but I don't remember.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Sierra & cocoAspell.zip (74K) Download Attachment

Re: Spell checking

MacOSX-TeX mailing list
> On Sep 5, 2020, at 5:19 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have been trying to prepare for the horrible day that cocoAspell no longer runs.

We're counting on you  Herb to lead us to Enlightenment in all things LaTeX :)

Despite the emoji, really!

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Spell checking

riseguin
Although I use BBEdit for my TeX text editor, I switch to Aquamacs in order to do LaTeX aware spell checking, first positioning the cursor at \begin{document}. I’m not sure what Aquamacs uses for spell checking underneath the interface.

Richard Séguin

> On Sep 5, 2020, at 4:50 PM, Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 5, 2020, at 5:19 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have been trying to prepare for the horrible day that cocoAspell no longer runs.
>
> We're counting on you  Herb to lead us to Enlightenment in all things LaTeX :)
>
> Despite the emoji, really!
>
> Themis

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Spell checking

MacOSX-TeX mailing list

> On Sep 5, 2020, at 2:50 PM, Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 5, 2020, at 5:19 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have been trying to prepare for the horrible day that cocoAspell no longer runs.
>
> We're counting on you  Herb to lead us to Enlightenment in all things LaTeX :)
>
> Despite the emoji, really!
>
> Themis

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

My solution to things like this is to keep on an older version of macOS as long as possible. The OS matured a long time ago and the new versions have little of interest to me (things like dark mode, which I hate). Neither the OS nor the apps which run on it will go up in smoke when new versions are released.

I appreciate that security updates will no longer be provided at some time. When that happens, I can take my Mac offline for most of the time to avoid the security problems. Also, my current version (High Sierra) will not run on new ARM based Macs. Much as I love the processor switch away from Intel, my current 5 year old MacBook Pro runs fine and does everything I want.

I must say, I am not a fan of the newest version (Big Sur) of macOS. I have the beta on an external SSD and it is very hard on my aging eyes - there is a serious reduction in contrast and readability of many components of the OS. Just like iOS (since iOS 7), looks take precedence over functionality.

Warren Nagourney

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Spell checking

Roussanka Loukanova-2

Aquamacs has LaTeX aware spell checking, by Mac / Apple spelling program, with ispell-program-name NSSpellChecker, via ispell interface of Emacs.

In mid July, after uninstalling cocoAspell, Aquamacs lost the cocoAspell setting, which I had set previously in it. Aquamacs took Swedish (sv) as the default dictionary. It took me some effort, and thanks to Win Treese's explanations of Spelling machinery in Aquamacs, I managed to set it to one of Apple's English dictionaries (en_GB).

Now Aquamacs spell checks only British English, even if I have selected

In System Preferences->Keyboard->Text pane:
in the pull-down menu:

Spelling: Automatic by Language

To spellcheck Swedish, I have to select
Spelling: Svenska

The option Spelling: Automatic by Language doesn't detect the language automatically. That would be very useful, for switches between files in different languages, or working on files with several languages.

The Aquamacs team, Win Treese and Nathaniel Cunningham, wrote to me that they'll look into it.

But, it's very annoying that Apple doesn't  include a Bulgarian dictionary: at least, I can't see spell checking for Bulgarian with LaTeX, in Aquamacs and TeXShop. I can't see it in the list:
 System Preferences->Keyboard->Text pane.

I have to install a Bulgarian dictionary from the Aspell website. Actually, unsuccessful attempts to do that (because I didn't have CL tools) took me into uninstalling cocoAspell, by considering it needed to be updated.

Best Regards,
Roussanka

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 11:59 PM Richard Seguin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Although I use BBEdit for my TeX text editor, I switch to Aquamacs in order to do LaTeX aware spell checking, first positioning the cursor at \begin{document}. I’m not sure what Aquamacs uses for spell checking underneath the interface.

Richard Séguin

> On Sep 5, 2020, at 4:50 PM, Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 5, 2020, at 5:19 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have been trying to prepare for the horrible day that cocoAspell no longer runs.
>
> We're counting on you  Herb to lead us to Enlightenment in all things LaTeX :)
>
> Despite the emoji, really!
>
> Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Spell checking

Louis Talman
On Sep 5, 2020, 4:02 PM -0600, TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List <[hidden email]>, wrote:

Neither the OS nor the apps which run on it will go up in smoke when new versions are released.

That isn’t always the case.  Some apps require a password renewal every year, and old versions of the app are no longer supported.  The new app will run only on an upgraded OS, so you must either wave goodbye to an essential app or upgrade.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Spell checking

MacOSX-TeX mailing list

On Sep 5, 2020, at 5:41 PM, Louis Talman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sep 5, 2020, 4:02 PM -0600, TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List <[hidden email]>, wrote:

Neither the OS nor the apps which run on it will go up in smoke when new versions are released.

That isn’t always the case.  Some apps require a password renewal every year, and old versions of the app are no longer supported.  The new app will run only on an upgraded OS, so you must either wave goodbye to an essential app or upgrade.
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Actually, I was referring to keeping both the old OS and old version of the program. I have never seen a non-subscription program require a yearly password renewal. I tend to avoid subscription programs.

My post-retirement activities require that I have a good graphing program (Igor Pro), a good CAD program (Ashlar Graphite) a good LaTeX typesetting program (TeXShop) and a few utilities such as LaTeXit (I include OmniGraffle in that category). With these apps, I can write my books and do some reasonable calculations in physics. None of these programs have improved significantly in the last 10 years (perhaps excepting TeXShop). I can use them for the next 10 years with no drawbacks that I can see (running High Sierra).

My reason for staying on High Sierra is that many of these apps are 32 bit and some don’t work on Mojave for other reasons. Upgrading would entail a considerable cost with no discernible benefits.

wn

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Spell checking

Louis Talman
Institutional licenses for Mathematica require yearly password renewa.  As an emeritus, I’m entitled to use my institution’s license—but I must get a new password from the institution every year.  The application is far too expensive for me to buy my own license—which would not require renewal.

When Mathematica upgrades, the new version sometimes refuses to run on older versions of the OS.  And the older versions refuse to run under a new password.  Otherwise, I’d keep the old versions of both OS and Mathematica.
On Sep 5, 2020, 7:18 PM -0600, TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List <[hidden email]>, wrote:

Actually, I was referring to keeping both the old OS and old version of the program. I have never seen a non-subscription program require a yearly password renewal. I tend to avoid subscription programs.

My post-retirement activities require that I have a good graphing program (Igor Pro), a good CAD program (Ashlar Graphite) a good LaTeX typesetting program (TeXShop) and a few utilities such as LaTeXit (I include OmniGraffle in that category). With these apps, I can write my books and do some reasonable calculations in physics.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Spell checking

Ettore Aldrovandi

On Sep 5, 2020, at 18:01, Warren Nagourney via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:

My solution to things like this is to keep on an older version of macOS as long as possible. The OS matured a long time ago and the new versions have little of interest to me (things like dark mode, which I hate).

The changes go much farther than cosmetics. The underlying OS in recent versions is much different.

—Ettore

Ettore Aldrovandi
Department of Mathematics, Florida State University
1017 Academic Way                *   http://www.math.fsu.edu/~ealdrov
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4510, USA * * aldrovandi at math dot fsu dot edu

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/