Style file placement

MacOSX-TeX mailing list
I am using the mdpi style files (https://www.mdpi.com/authors/latex) which are contained in a folder called "Definitions". The folder contains a bunch of files, including the class file mdpi.cls, the bst file, as well as some eps files that add journal-specific graphics to the manuscript.

If I place the folder Definitions in the same folder as the manuscript, everything works fine.

If I place the folder Definitions in my personal folder /~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/TM Inputs, the document typesets but does not find the eps files or the bst file. Looking into the style file, all paths are hardwired as Definitions/filexyz.

Is there an easy fix? I'd rather not have to copy Definitions in every folder.

Themis
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Style file placement

Alan Litchfield
I had the same issue.

I just left it in the document folder to make my life easier and because I did not expect the mdpi class file to remain static each time I submitted a paper to their respective journals. As it turned out, that was a good call because it has changed. The other thing is that their version of the class (that they use for publishing) seems to be different to the author class file. I had the same issue with the acm class too…

Good luck
Alan
--
Dr Alan Litchfield
AlphaByte

On 15/09/2020, at 09:28, Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am using the mdpi style files (https://www.mdpi.com/authors/latex) which are contained in a folder called "Definitions". The folder contains a bunch of files, including the class file mdpi.cls, the bst file, as well as some eps files that add journal-specific graphics to the manuscript.

If I place the folder Definitions in the same folder as the manuscript, everything works fine.

If I place the folder Definitions in my personal folder /~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/TM Inputs, the document typesets but does not find the eps files or the bst file. Looking into the style file, all paths are hardwired as Definitions/filexyz.

Is there an easy fix? I'd rather not have to copy Definitions in every folder.

Themis
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Style file placement

Ross Moore-3
Hi Themis,

On 15 Sep 2020, at 7:28 am, Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am using the mdpi style files (https://www.mdpi.com/authors/latex) which are contained in a folder called "Definitions". The folder contains a bunch of files, including the class file mdpi.cls, the bst file, as well as some eps files that add journal-specific graphics to the manuscript.

If I place the folder Definitions in the same folder as the manuscript, everything works fine.

If I place the folder Definitions in my personal folder /~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/TM Inputs,

Having a space in that name is likely the issue:   “TM Inputs”
If it is to work, it must be called as  TM\ Inputs  in some shells.
But it is better to rename, as   TMinputs  say, avoiding space character complications.

BTW, if you do   sudo  texhash   does it find all the files in this folder?
Check within the  ls-R  listing for  ~/Library/texmf/ .
If not, then you should be able to adjust it by setting the shell variable  TEXMFLOCAL .

the document typesets but does not find the eps files or the bst file. Looking into the style file, all paths are hardwired as Definitions/filexyz.

Is there an easy fix? I'd rather not have to copy Definitions in every folder.

Themis

Hope this helps.
Stay safe.

Ross

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Style file placement

> On Sep 14, 2020, at 4:28 PM, Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am using the mdpi style files (https://www.mdpi.com/authors/latex) which are contained in a folder called "Definitions". The folder contains a bunch of files, including the class file mdpi.cls, the bst file, as well as some eps files that add journal-specific graphics to the manuscript.
>
> If I place the folder Definitions in the same folder as the manuscript, everything works fine.
>
> If I place the folder Definitions in my personal folder /~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/TM Inputs, the document typesets but does not find the eps files or the bst file. Looking into the style file, all paths are hardwired as Definitions/filexyz.
>
> Is there an easy fix? I'd rather not have to copy Definitions in every folder.
>
> Themis

Howdy,

Ordinarily I would say that the .bst file shold be placed in (as sub-directory of) ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst but, given that the paths are hard coded I suggest writing to the journal editors.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Style file placement

Alan Litchfield
I am looking at an article now. It seems your issue is this:

\documentclass[options]{Definitions/mdpi}

The template is looking for the Definitions folder.

Alan
--
[...]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: Style file placement

MacOSX-TeX mailing list
Thanks to all who replied. With some trial and error based on your suggestions I was able to resolve the problem as follows:

1. place one copy of Definitions in ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex
2. and another in ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst

This allows tex to find all the necessary files, cls, bst and various graphics.

I suppose one can remove the extraneous files in each directory but it is easier to place the entire folder Definitions in each location.

Themis

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/