Synctex doesn't work with file names that have spaces. Is this fixable?

mrl

Synctex doesn't work with file names that have spaces. Is this fixable?

mrl
Hi - Because of the demise of Textures, I just had to install TexShop with Flashmode, for someone who obtained a new mac.  This person has hundreds of files, that have spaces in their filenames.  It appears that Synctex doesn't work with file names that have spaces.  I've seen it claimed that this problem was fixed on other platforms.  Has anyone tried to fix it for the mac?  I don't have a C compiler myself.  What would be necessary to recompile the code, which would have fixes for this problem?  Thanks. - Mark

Re: Synctex doesn't work with file names that have spaces. Is this fixable?

Herbert Schulz

On May 9, 2013, at 2:08 PM, mrl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi - Because of the demise of Textures, I just had to install TexShop with
> Flashmode, for someone who obtained a new mac.  This person has hundreds of
> files, that have spaces in their filenames.  It appears that Synctex doesn't
> work with file names that have spaces.  I've seen it claimed that this
> problem was fixed on other platforms.  Has anyone tried to fix it for the
> mac?  I don't have a C compiler myself.  What would be necessary to
> recompile the code, which would have fixes for this problem?  Thanks. - Mark

Howdy,

No problem with file names with spaces here.

What TeX Distribution is being used? Is it recent and up to date? What editor/front end is being used? What version of that editor/front end is being used? What OS version is being used? Is the person using some advanced features (e.g., custom engines for TeXShop) of their editor to do the typesetting?

What has to be done depends upon the answers to those questions.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Synctex doesn't work with file names that have spaces. Is this fixable?

Richard Koch
MRL,

On May 9, 2013, at 12:08 PM, mrl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi - Because of the demise of Textures, I just had to install TexShop with
> Flashmode, for someone who obtained a new mac.  This person has hundreds of
> files, that have spaces in their filenames.  It appears that Synctex doesn't
> work with file names that have spaces.  I've seen it claimed that this
> problem was fixed on other platforms.  Has anyone tried to fix it for the
> mac?  I don't have a C compiler myself.  What would be necessary to
> recompile the code, which would have fixes for this problem?  Thanks. - Mark

I am the author of TeXShop. There is a lot of misinformation in the above posting.

        1) TeXShop has worked with filenames containing spaces for years.

        2) Synctex has nothing to do with the Mac. It is a piece of software by Jerome
        Laurens in TeX Live and available for all platforms.

        3) I just tried synctex on a file with spaces in its name using TeXShop. It
        worked fine.

        4) Flashmode isn't part of TeXShop itself (because I don't like that feature),
        but it is supplied for TeXShop by Claus Gerhardt. I don't know if it works
        with files with spaces in their title

        5) Spaces in filenames can cause minor difficulty in Unix with various scripts,
        so while all of the things you quote work, it would be useful to suggest that
        this user avoid them (my personal opinion only).

Richard Koch

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On May 9, 2013, at 2:23 PM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> MRL,
>

> On May 9, 2013, at 12:08 PM, mrl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi - Because of the demise of Textures, I just had to install TexShop with
>> Flashmode, for someone who obtained a new mac.  This person has hundreds of
>> files, that have spaces in their filenames.  It appears that Synctex doesn't
>> work with file names that have spaces.  I've seen it claimed that this
>> problem was fixed on other platforms.  Has anyone tried to fix it for the
>> mac?  I don't have a C compiler myself.  What would be necessary to
>> recompile the code, which would have fixes for this problem?  Thanks. - Mark
>>

> I am the author of TeXShop. There is a lot of misinformation in the above posting.
>
> 1) TeXShop has worked with filenames containing spaces for years.
>
> 2) Synctex has nothing to do with the Mac. It is a piece of software by Jerome
> Laurens in TeX Live and available for all platforms.
>
> 3) I just tried synctex on a file with spaces in its name using TeXShop. It
> worked fine.
>
> 4) Flashmode isn't part of TeXShop itself (because I don't like that feature),
> but it is supplied for TeXShop by Claus Gerhardt. I don't know if it works
> with files with spaces in their title
>
> 5) Spaces in filenames can cause minor difficulty in Unix with various scripts,
> so while all of the things you quote work, it would be useful to suggest that
> this user avoid them (my personal opinion only).
>
> Richard Koch

Howdy,

I just took a look at the Flashmode documentation and it appears that all typesetting is controlled by Flashmode and therefore TeXShop's engines aren't being used. If I'm correct any problems experienced with synctex would either be with Flashmode or an fairly old TeX Distribution.

I have no problems using synctex when typesetting a file with spaces in its name from within TeXShop and with a recent TeX Live Distribution as installed with MacTeX-2012 with all updates.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

mrl

Re: Synctex doesn't work with file names that have spaces. Is this fixable?

mrl
Thanks everybody for the responses.  I jumped the gun on blaming synctex, because I didn't see the .gz file being created, and I saw the complaints about spaces and synctex in older posts on the web.  I suspect this is a script problem with flashmode, that I'll try to fix tomorrow, when I get access the person's mac.  Thanks again. - Mark

On May 9, 2013, at 3:01 PM, mrl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks everybody for the responses.  I jumped the gun on blaming synctex,
> because I didn't see the .gz file being created, and I saw the complaints
> about spaces and synctex in older posts on the web.  I suspect this is a
> script problem with flashmode, that I'll try to fix tomorrow, when I get
> access the person's mac.  Thanks again. - Mark

Howdy,

Back in the (not so good) old days, when I was using Textures, flash mode was so bloody slow I only used it for very short documents and kept it turned off most of the time.

Modern systems are so incredibly fast (I can typeset a 450 page Plain TeX document in less than 5 seconds on my MacBook Air) I see even less need for `flashmode'. I type and when I'm ready to look I simply typeset the document. I can always use synctex to get (close to) the proper place in the document.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Am 09.05.2013 um 22:01 schrieb mrl:

> I didn't see the .gz file being created

I think Flashmode does not support synctex. What it be good for? While you're typing the output is constantly updated. So you're in synch all the time.

"I'm a rabid typist."

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On May 9, 2013, at 3:16 PM, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 09.05.2013 um 22:01 schrieb mrl:
>
>> I didn't see the .gz file being created
>
> I think Flashmode does not support synctex. What it be good for? While you're typing the output is constantly updated. So you're in synch all the time.

Howdy,

Of course it's still useful. You certainly may want to go to a different part of a document and edit there.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Synctex doesn't work with file names that have spaces. Is this fixable?

Claus Gerhardt-4
Flashmode only accepts spaces in names of directories not in filenames. This could be fixed but I don't have the time at the moment.

Claus

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Synctex doesn't work with file names that have spaces. Is this fixable?

Claus Gerhardt-4
Flashmode's typesetting commands include the option synctex.

Claus

On May 9, 2013, at 22:16, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 09.05.2013 um 22:01 schrieb mrl:
>
>> I didn't see the .gz file being created
>
> I think Flashmode does not support synctex. What it be good for? While you're typing the output is constantly updated. So you're in synch all the time.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete
>
> "I'm a rabid typist."

> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Synctex doesn't work with file names that have spaces. Is this fixable?

Vamos, Peter
On 9 May 2013, at 20:08, mrl wrote:

> Because of the demise of Textures

Is Textures no more then? Is Barry Smith still around? Just tried Blue Sky Research website, it doesn't work. If it is indeed dead, someone should write an obituary.

I have many fond and not so fond memories of Textures. Started using it when it wasn't even called Textures and was marketed by the publisher Addison-Wesley.  Anyway, what is vaguely relevant here relates to

> This person has hundreds of files, that have spaces in their filenames.

Could this person be using plain TeX? Classic Mac OS always allowed spaces in file names, unlike Win of yore, or Unix, and so did Textures, but for Plain TeX only!

This is in fact one of my not so fond memories. I was a very late convert to LaTeX. When I did move over to LaTeX I tried it first by converting one of my plain TeX files, still using Textures. It didn't work. Didn't typeset. I spent a very long and frustrating  time trying figure out why. Inspect code. Re-read the Textures manual. LaTeX by Lamport. Alas, this list didn't exist in those days. You could email or maybe phone  Blue Sky but I was  in the morning in Europe and they in Oregon. Eventually I figured out that my file name had a space in  it; maybe I did have an error message "no aux file", I can't remember. Once I deleted the space, LaTeX on Textures worked. I must have, eventually, guessed that at the core the (La)TeX used by Blue Sky was still C+ or something like that and LaTeX needed to write and then call the aux file and this mechanism was not made Mac friendly.

Very soon after this episode I abandoned Classic OS, Plain TeX and Textures for OS X, LaTeX and TexShop. May be later incarnations of Textures allowed spaces in file names even in LaTeX, I don't know.

So what is in a filename? I was reminded of the above recently when opening one of my old (Plain TeX) Textures files in TexShop to find the Typeset button greyed out and the Program button showing ConTeXt. After chaging this to Plain TeX the Typeset button was still greyed out. No spaces in the file name but there was a dot '.'.  Classic OS could deal with such a file name, not OS X and TexShop. So the right question is: What should not be in a file name? Dick Koch wisely counsels against using spacers. I would add to this any character which is used in a path name in some system (Mac, Win, *nix) such as \  / . :  etc.

Peter

PS To the OP:

> This person has hundreds of files, that have spaces in their filenames.

There are a number of batch change file name utilities around, I would assume that some of these could be used to rename  the files e.g. replace spaces with an underscore _.
List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Synctex doesn't work with file names that have spaces. Is this fixable?

Peter Dyballa

Am 10.05.2013 um 20:23 schrieb Vamos, Peter:

> Is Barry Smith still around?

No, not really, he's dead.

The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On 10 May 2013, at 19:28, Peter Dyballa wrote:

Am 10.05.2013 um 20:23 schrieb Vamos, Peter:

> Is Barry Smith still around?

No, not really, he's dead.

Sorry to hear.

Peter

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Synctex doesn't work with file names that have spaces. Is this fixable?

Themis Matsoukas-6
On May 10, 2013, at 2:23 PM, "Vamos, Peter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9 May 2013, at 20:08, mrl wrote:
>
>> Because of the demise of Textures
>
> Is Textures no more then? Is Barry Smith still around? Just tried Blue Sky Research website, it doesn't work. If it is indeed dead, someone should write an obituary.

:(

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

photo.JPG (100K) Download Attachment

Re: Synctex doesn't work with file names that have spaces. Is this fixable?

juan tolosa
Just to share my memories, I was a TeXtures user for many, many years. My memories are mostly pleasant ones. The three big issues I had were

(i) the handling of figures. The \special command was not easily transferable to other platforms, say, when submitting articles with figures to journals;
    in the PC World, PCTeX accepted the \special command, but it had problems of its own when handling figure sizes (very rigid options);

(ii) the characters with zero width, such as "\not" and the "\neq" for not equal. This conflicted with some Epson printers, and it was never clear whose fault it was;

(iii) the final blow: the non-transferability of TeXtures to the Mac system X, from system 9. This made me look for other options. I first tried OzTeX, until I finally
stumbled into Mac Ox TeX, and this excellent support distribution list. It was like a miracle.

All in all, I have fond memories of TeXtures. It served me well for more years than I care to remember.

          Juan

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

On May 10, 2013, at 1:23 PM, "Vamos, Peter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9 May 2013, at 20:08, mrl wrote:
>
>> Because of the demise of Textures
>
> Is Textures no more then? Is Barry Smith still around? Just tried Blue Sky Research website, it doesn't work. If it is indeed dead, someone should write an obituary.
>
> I have many fond and not so fond memories of Textures. Started using it when it wasn't even called Textures and was marketed by the publisher Addison-Wesley.  Anyway, what is vaguely relevant here relates to
>
>> This person has hundreds of files, that have spaces in their filenames.
>
> Could this person be using plain TeX? Classic Mac OS always allowed spaces in file names, unlike Win of yore, or Unix, and so did Textures, but for Plain TeX only!
>
> This is in fact one of my not so fond memories. I was a very late convert to LaTeX. When I did move over to LaTeX I tried it first by converting one of my plain TeX files, still using Textures. It didn't work. Didn't typeset. I spent a very long and frustrating  time trying figure out why. Inspect code. Re-read the Textures manual. LaTeX by Lamport. Alas, this list didn't exist in those days. You could email or maybe phone  Blue Sky but I was  in the morning in Europe and they in Oregon. Eventually I figured out that my file name had a space in  it; maybe I did have an error message "no aux file", I can't remember. Once I deleted the space, LaTeX on Textures worked. I must have, eventually, guessed that at the core the (La)TeX used by Blue Sky was still C+ or something like that and LaTeX needed to write and then call the aux file and this mechanism was not made Mac friendly.
>
> Very soon after this episode I abandoned Classic OS, Plain TeX and Textures for OS X, LaTeX and TexShop. May be later incarnations of Textures allowed spaces in file names even in LaTeX, I don't know.

Howdy,

The bloom came off Textures for me when I got a rather nasty reply to a question about using spaces in file names. That is also when I ``got smart' and only used simple characters and no spaces in file names; it has served me well since.

> So what is in a filename? I was reminded of the above recently when opening one of my old (Plain TeX) Textures files in TexShop to find the Typeset button greyed out and the Program button showing ConTeXt. After chaging this to Plain TeX the Typeset button was still greyed out. No spaces in the file name but there was a dot '.'.  Classic OS could deal with such a file name, not OS X and TexShop. So the right question is: What should not be in a file name? Dick Koch wisely counsels against using spacers. I would add to this any character which is used in a path name in some system (Mac, Win, *nix) such as \  / . :  etc.
>
> Peter

Well what is the ``extension'' in file.a.tex? Is the extension .a.tex or .tex? It is not necessarily easy to determine in any given situation.

I would leave out all punctuation, special characters (like /) and also try to stick to simple characters (e.g. not é). TeXShop will be able to handle much of this but although the TeX Distribution has gotten much better with dealing with these things a problem occasionally arises. I guess I tend to use Caps to do separation; MyLongFileName.tex.

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Re: Synctex doesn't work with file names that have spaces. Is this fixable?

Alain Schremmer-2

On May 10, 2013, at 2:41 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

>  I tend to use Caps to do separation; MyLongFileName.tex.

WaitAMinuteIGotAPatentOnThat

BestRegardsSchremmer

List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/