TeXShop 4.22

Richard Koch-2
Folks,

TeXShop 4.22 is available via the Sparkle update mechanism and from

        http://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/texshop.html

This version has been tested by multiple users. Unless serious bugs are discovered, it will be the last update for several months because work is beginning on MacTeX-2019.

Richard Koch
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop 4.22

Murray Eisenberg
The workaround for the typesetting-sudden-stop bug is NOT working for me!

With a complex, 600-page, document involving many \include’s and packages, running pdflatemk is still causing such sudden stops — and stops that I cannot now fix by Abort, Trash aux files, and then re-running pdflatexmk.

> On 4 Jan2019, at 3:48 PM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Folks,
>
> TeXShop 4.22 is available via the Sparkle update mechanism and from
>
> http://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/texshop.html
>
> This version has been tested by multiple users. Unless serious bugs are discovered, it will be the last update for several months because work is beginning on MacTeX-2019.
>
> Richard Koch
> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop 4.22

Murray Eisenberg
In fact things are MUCH worse now: I cannot recover at all from the dead-stop by using Abort then Trash Aux files then run pdflatexmk again!

Until this is fixed, what do I do to regress to the previous version — without losing my preferences, etc.?

> On 4 Jan2019, at 9:13 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The workaround for the typesetting-sudden-stop bug is NOT working for me!
>
> With a complex, 600-page, document involving many \include’s and packages, running pdflatemk is still causing such sudden stops — and stops that I cannot now fix by Abort, Trash aux files, and then re-running pdflatexmk.
>

>> On 4 Jan2019, at 3:48 PM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Folks,
>>
>> TeXShop 4.22 is available via the Sparkle update mechanism and from
>>
>> http://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/texshop.html
>>
>> This version has been tested by multiple users. Unless serious bugs are discovered, it will be the last update for several months because work is beginning on MacTeX-2019.
>>
>> Richard Koch
>> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
>> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
>>               https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
>
> ---
> Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
> 503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
> Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop 4.22

Richard Koch-2

Murray,

Did you read the changes document for 4.22? If not, read it. I have this advice for everyone.

It is possible to turn off the "fix" for the typeset  bug. Did you try that? If not, try it now.

Note that 4.22 works the same as earlier versions with the fix turned off.

Dick Koch

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop 4.22

Murray Eisenberg
Dick,

Yes, I did read the Changes doc.

Naturally, just before I was about to send my files to you, I tried another run with pdflatexmk and had the job run to completion!

I’ll keep trying with DisplayLogInfo  turned on and hope (??) for another dead-stop.

Thanks,
Murray

On 4 Jan2019, at 9:28 PM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:

Murray,

Did you read the changes document for 4.22? If not, read it. I have this advice for everyone.

It is possible to turn off the "fix" for the typeset  bug. Did you try that? If not, try it now.

Note that 4.22 works the same as earlier versions with the fix turned off.

Dick Koch

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop 4.22

Richard Koch-2
The change document answers that. Look at the top entry on the left in Mojave. If you aren't running Mojave, then you are on your own.

Dick

> On Jan 5, 2019, at 1:34 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If I enable logging via "defaults write TeXShop DisplayLogInfo YES”, then what .log file do I look out in the macOS Console?l
>
>> On 4 Jan2019, at 3:48 PM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Folks,
>>
>> TeXShop 4.22 is available via the Sparkle update mechanism and from
>>
>> http://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/texshop.html
>>
>> This version has been tested by multiple users. Unless serious bugs are discovered, it will be the last update for several months because work is beginning on MacTeX-2019.
>>
>> Richard Koch
>> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
>> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
>>                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
>
> ---
> Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
> 503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
> Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop 4.22

Murray Eisenberg
Dick,

You had suggested sending a log file with failure to you, which is why I asked about which log file.

I can see the texshop entries when I’m in Console; I just don’t know how to get a file with them (other than brute-force copy-psate).

Murray

> On 5 Jan2019, at 4:39 PM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The change document answers that. Look at the top entry on the left in Mojave. If you aren't running Mojave, then you are on your own.
>
> Dick
>
>> On Jan 5, 2019, at 1:34 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> If I enable logging via "defaults write TeXShop DisplayLogInfo YES”, then what .log file do I look out in the macOS Console?l
>>
>>> On 4 Jan2019, at 3:48 PM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> TeXShop 4.22 is available via the Sparkle update mechanism and from
>>>
>>> http://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/texshop.html
>>>
>>> This version has been tested by multiple users. Unless serious bugs are discovered, it will be the last update for several months because work is beginning on MacTeX-2019.
>>>
>>> Richard Koch
>>> ----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
>>> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
>>> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
>>>               https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
>>> TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
>>
>> ---
>> Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
>> 503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
>> Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

>> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
>> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
>>               https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop 4.22

Richard Koch-2
I don't need to see the log file. The key point is the message "Repeating Job." This message says that the bug occurred and TeXShop typeset again. So what I wonder is how frequently you see that message. (My experience here is: very, very, very seldom.)

If your jobs also can be typeset with XeTeX, then I'd like to know if that gives more, fewer, or roughly the same number of "Repeating Job."

If you see a lot of "Repeating Job," then you may had that rare animal that causes the bug, and then I'd like to have the full source if possible. HOWEVER there is some evidence that this bug may be due to (or made worse by) virus checkers. So if you installed a virus checker and are getting a lot of "Repeating Job", then what checker is it, and what happens when you turn it off?
Do the errors become less frequent?

Warning: Please remember that I've switched forus to making MacTeX-2019 for several months, so information will interest me, but I cannot drop what I'm doing to follow up on it much. Unless, that is, the ultimate cause of the bug becomes apparent.

Dick

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/