TeXShop 4.26

Richard Koch-2
Folks,

TeXShop 4.26 is available via the Sparkle update mechanism and from

        https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/texshop.html

The very minor changes are described in

        https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/changes_3.html

Richard Koch
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop 4.26 - using SageMath

Murray Eisenberg
One of the changes described for TS 4.16 regards using TeX and Sage together. And in file
~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Sage/About\ Sage.pdf we read:

"The application[Sage]  will have a longer name, currently SageMath-8.6.app. Long ago, the name of this application could be changed, and then for a time it couldn’t be renamed. The name is again changeable. …”

With my macOS Mojave configuration, however, I find that if I rename SageMath-8.6.app to SageMath.app, then when I start Sage, which should automatically start the Jupyter server and open jupyter in Safari, instead I get an error that the SageMath python cannot be found,

On 6 Mar2019, at 3:02 PM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:

Folks,

TeXShop 4.26 is available via the Sparkle update mechanism and from

https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/texshop.html

The very minor changes are described in

https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/changes_3.html

Richard Koch
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop 4.26 - using SageMath

Richard Koch-2
Thanks for this report. At least I tried. I use and recommend Mathematica, which is why I didn't notice this problem.

Dick Koch

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop 4.26 - using SageMath

> On Mar 6, 2019, at 3:00 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> One of the changes described for TS 4.16 regards using TeX and Sage together. And in file
> ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Sage/About\ Sage.pdf we read:
>
> "The application[Sage]  will have a longer name, currently SageMath-8.6.app. Long ago, the name of this application could be changed, and then for a time it couldn’t be renamed. The name is again changeable. …”
>
> With my macOS Mojave configuration, however, I find that if I rename SageMath-8.6.app to SageMath.app, then when I start Sage, which should automatically start the Jupyter server and open jupyter in Safari, instead I get an error that the SageMath python cannot be found,
>
>> On 6 Mar2019, at 3:02 PM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Folks,
>>
>> TeXShop 4.26 is available via the Sparkle update mechanism and from
>>
>> https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/texshop.html
>>
>> The very minor changes are described in
>>
>> https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/changes_3.html
>>
>> Richard Koch
>> [hidden email]
>> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
>> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
>>                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
>
> ---
> Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
> 503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
> Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

Howdy,

I recommend anaconda2 python since it has all the extras usually needed for science use built in.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop 4.26 - using SageMath

John Minter
If you don't want the full anaconda python distribution, you can download the smaller miniconda installer and install just the packages you need. It works well on MacOS, Windows, and Linux.

Best regards
John Minter

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 4:36 PM Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 2019, at 3:00 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> One of the changes described for TS 4.16 regards using TeX and Sage together. And in file
> ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Sage/About\ Sage.pdf we read:
>
>       "The application[Sage]  will have a longer name, currently SageMath-8.6.app. Long ago, the name of this application could be changed, and then for a time it couldn’t be renamed. The name is again changeable. …”
>
> With my macOS Mojave configuration, however, I find that if I rename SageMath-8.6.app to SageMath.app, then when I start Sage, which should automatically start the Jupyter server and open jupyter in Safari, instead I get an error that the SageMath python cannot be found,
>
>> On 6 Mar2019, at 3:02 PM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Folks,
>>
>> TeXShop 4.26 is available via the Sparkle update mechanism and from
>>
>>      https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/texshop.html
>>
>> The very minor changes are described in
>>
>>      https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/changes_3.html
>>
>> Richard Koch
>> [hidden email]
>> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
>> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
>>                https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
>
> ---
> Murray Eisenberg                      [hidden email]
> 503 King Farm Blvd #101       Home (240)-246-7240
> Rockville, MD 20850-6667      Mobile (413)-427-5334

Howdy,

I recommend anaconda2 python since it has all the extras usually needed for science use built in.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop 4.26 - using SageMath

Louis Talman
On Wed, 06 Mar 2019 14:27:43 -0700, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for this report. At least I tried. I use and recommend
> Mathematica, which is why I didn't notice this problem.

I, too, use and recommend Mathematica.

There is just one little problem: Wolfram Inc. is very proud of
Mathematica, and the want a *lot* of money for a license.  If you have
access to an institutional license, this isn't a problem (for you), but if
you don't...

Well, Sage is free.

--
--Louis A. Talman, Ph.D.
   Emeritus Professor of Mathematics

   <http://sites.msudenver.edu/talmanl/homepage/>
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop 4.26 - using SageMath

Murray Eisenberg
I use Mathematica, too, as my “CAS” of choice. But linking TeX with Mathematica has never been very easy. Hence I want the option of using SageMath instead.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop 4.26 - using SageMath

Murray Eisenberg
Actually, I have anaconda Python installed, and its binaries are at the beginning of my path.

> On 6 Mar2019, at 4:36 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 6, 2019, at 3:00 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> One of the changes described for TS 4.16 regards using TeX and Sage together. And in file
>> ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Sage/About\ Sage.pdf we read:
>>
>> "The application[Sage]  will have a longer name, currently SageMath-8.6.app. Long ago, the name of this application could be changed, and then for a time it couldn’t be renamed. The name is again changeable. …”
>>
>> With my macOS Mojave configuration, however, I find that if I rename SageMath-8.6.app to SageMath.app, then when I start Sage, which should automatically start the Jupyter server and open jupyter in Safari, instead I get an error that the SageMath python cannot be found,
>>
>>> On 6 Mar2019, at 3:02 PM, Richard Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> TeXShop 4.26 is available via the Sparkle update mechanism and from
>>>
>>> https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/texshop.html
>>>
>>> The very minor changes are described in
>>>
>>> https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/changes_3.html
>>>
>>> Richard Koch
>>> [hidden email]
>>> ----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
>>> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
>>> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
>>>               https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
>>> TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/
>>
>> ---
>> Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
>> 503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
>> Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334
>
> Howdy,
>
> I recommend anaconda2 python since it has all the extras usually needed for science use built in.

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

---
Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop 4.26 - using SageMath

Herbert Schulz
> On Mar 6, 2019, at 5:36 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Actually, I have anaconda Python installed, and its binaries are at the beginning of my path.
>
>> On 6 Mar2019, at 4:36 PM, Herbert Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Mar 6, 2019, at 3:00 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> One of the changes described for TS 4.16 regards using TeX and Sage together. And in file
>>> ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Sage/About\ Sage.pdf we read:
>>>
>>> "The application[Sage]  will have a longer name, currently SageMath-8.6.app. Long ago, the name of this application could be changed, and then for a time it couldn’t be renamed. The name is again changeable. …”
>>>
>>> With my macOS Mojave configuration, however, I find that if I rename SageMath-8.6.app to SageMath.app, then when I start Sage, which should automatically start the Jupyter server and open jupyter in Safari, instead I get an error that the SageMath python cannot be found,

>>> ---
>>> Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
>>> 503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
>>> Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I recommend anaconda2 python since it has all the extras usually needed for science use built in.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

>> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
>> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
>>               https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/
>
> ---
> Murray Eisenberg [hidden email]
> 503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
> Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334

> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Have a look at the `Sage and latexmk' folder installed by TeXShop 4.26 inside the ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Sage folder. The document given there may be a bit more detailed about installation of SageMath-x.x.app and making it available via the shell. Let me know if that is a help.

PS: I seem to remember that when I updated to the 8.6 app from the 8.4 version sage picked up some patches on it's first run.

Also, I don't get any errors when running the re-named SageMath.app but it sure takes a long time for the Jupyter server tp come up in Safari and I even have to give it a nudge. I only have used used sage via sagetex and the special platexmkrc file in that folder along with the pdflatexmk engine.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Re: TeXShop 4.26 - using SageMath

Richard Koch-2
Murray Eisenberg,

> On Mar 6, 2019, at 1:00 PM, Murray Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> One of the changes described for TS 4.16 regards using TeX and Sage together. And in file
> ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Sage/About\ Sage.pdf we read:
>
> "The application[Sage]  will have a longer name, currently SageMath-8.6.app. Long ago, the name of this application could be changed, and then for a time it couldn’t be renamed. The name is again changeable. …”
>
> With my macOS Mojave configuration, however, I find that if I rename SageMath-8.6.app to SageMath.app, then when I start Sage, which should automatically start the Jupyter server and open jupyter in Safari, instead I get an error that the SageMath python cannot be found,

I was not too pleased to read this bug report and answered way too abruptly. Meanwhile, Eugene was in the midst of our second largest snowstorm in the last 50 years and I had just returned from five days in spent in Seattle Motels waiting for a flight back.

Today the snow is melting and I'm apologizing. We depend on bug reports and very much appreciate this one. I rewrote the section on Sage, and the rewrite will be in the next version of TeXShop.

I cannot see a statement one way or the other in the Sage documentation about renaming Sage, but your experience and my subsequent experiments here show that renaming is at best "iffy." . I wish the Sage folks would change this, but in the meantime
we have to adopt to them.

It seems to me that using symbolic links we could arrange matters so updating Sage wouldn't be so tricky. I tried several variations of that idea and wasted a couple of hours before giving up.

Again, thanks for the report!

Dick Koch
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/